5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favorite sleeping pad (bye-bye Therm-A-Rest)
I've had Therm-a-Rest pads for years, and have always loved them. I never thought I'd ever like another pad as much, but yet here I am...

Published on December 29, 2010 by Andrew J. Riemer

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised
Works as described. I read many reviews including the initial steps when first opening it. After allowing it to open on its own I then blew it up the rest of the way. I left it in this position for over a week. No issues when taking it out for field test. I slept on the ground for 3 days with this and my sleeping bag only.

I would recommend a larger size as the...
Published 3 months ago by D

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favorite sleeping pad (bye-bye Therm-A-Rest), December 29, 2010

The truth is that I bought this pad for my wife as an add-on item when buying her pack, before her first real wilderness camping outing. I figured if she didn't take to the hobby, I wouldn't be out as much as I would have been had I bought her a comparable Therm-a-Rest, and I wouldn't mind passing this pad on to one of my boys (for Scout trips).

When it arrived, some things that caught my eye right away, namely the stuff sack, the repair kit, and the finish. Let's consider the finish first. One side has a micro-fiber feel, and the other has little rubberized bumps (the kind you often see on slipper socks or some winter gloves). I instantly thought of all the summer trips I had been on where the nylon shell of my Therm-A-Rest pad was simply not comortable in the heat--the micro-fiber finish on the ALPS comfort series pad would make those hot, sweaty days a little more tolerable (and use proved that hypothesis correct). Those little bumps on the bottom also meant I wouldn't need to carry a roll of that non-slip stuff you get on rolls (sometimes used under rugs or in drawers/cabinets)--at least not for my wife's pad.

The accessories, a stuff sack and a repair kit, may seem like no big deal to you, but those items are sold separately for Therm-a-Rest pads (around $15 for the bag and up to $10 for the repair kit--$25 in all), so that made this purchase an even greater bargain! I was actually really shocked to see that they sent the stuff sack and the repair kit with the pad.

I've been very impressed with the quality--no problems during the first year of use, from cabin camping on the floor to a trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness with much use in between. The valve is solid and it does inflate fast (faster than my other pad), and the non-slip side really does the trick. The only bad part about the pad is that it is still technically my wife's, but since she and I don't often get out together (I'm typically out with the guys or the Scouts), it has become my new favorite pad. Had I not just replaced my own pad just a couple of years ago, I'd buy another one of these to call my own.

Don't get me wrong--Therm-a-Rest pads are still great pads, but this one just far exceeded my expectations. It is of comparable quality, but those little extras (the finish, and the included stuff sack and repair kit) make this pad a much better buy. Sure, you can find lighter pads out there for your most extreme lightweight backpacking trips, but you can't beat this one as an all-around pad. Give it a try--you won't be disappointed!

(P.S. If anyone wants to buy my Therm-a-rest Trail Lite pad, let me know.)

5.0 out of 5 stars ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad, April 6, 2011
I bought the regular size pad. Keep in mind the one they display on the video is the comfort series size XL. It sports two valves on either side of the pad. The regular size has only a single valve port. When you receive your air pad it probably will take some time filling due to being stored compactly for some time. Training your pad helps to insure your pad will respond much quicker when you are out on a trail or during a slumber anywhere. If you are new to the self inflatable air pad then these simple facts might help your questions when you first receive your new pad.

Open the valve and wait around 60 minutes give or take. Blow into the valve port a few times to fully expand your pads inner cell membrane and store it a couple of days. Try laying on it a while when your watching TV or taking a nap on the couch, floor, bed and so on. Roll it up and then let it fill up on it's own. If you need you ad a little more air do so and repeat this three or four times. this will insure your air pad is ready to roll with the flow when you want it, and you will know what to expect. Also remember the regular is 20" wide so if you want more than that go with long at 25" wide or the XL's at 30" in width. Keep in mind the weight (Reg is 2 lbs. 14oz. / L 4 lbs. 6oz. / XL 7 lbs. 3oz. / XXL 9 lbs. 14 oz.)

As far as the pad is concerned in regards to it's quality I would give this a strong 4 1/2 stars. The affordability is a big gainer when compared to the other competitions and it's comfort is aligned with the high dollar ones. All in all you cant go wrong with this ALPS Mountaineering sleep pad. It's well worth it and you will enjoy it's qualities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for an air pad, February 18, 2011
This review is from: ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad (Sports)
Much like the product page for "ALPS Mountaineering Lightweight Series Self-Inflating Air pad", it was difficult to determine the various dimensions for this pad. Here's a quick summary from the insert included with my recently purchased ALPS Comfort Series Air Pad:

-Short--20" x 48 x 1.5"; 1 lb. 12 oz
-Regular--20" x 72" x 1.5"; 2 lbs. 14 oz.
-Long--25" x 77" x 2"; 4 lbs. 6 oz.
-XL--30" x 77" x 3"; 7 lbs. 3oz.
-XXL--30" x 77" x 4"; 9 lbs. 14.oz.

I purchased the regular sized pad, and it provides ample space for me (I am a small/average build for a guy, at 5'8", 150 lbs.). The cushioning on the regular pad is probably fine for most back-sleepers. My hip did begin to hurt a little after laying on my side for less than an hour; so I recommend a thicker version than the regular pad, or look at a foam pad if you are predominantly a side-sleeper.

I like the suede-like fabric on top, as it keeps my sleeping bag from sliding around, and the rubber dots on the bottom of the pad work well enough to keep the pad from being too slippery on the floor of a tent (at least when you have the weight of a person on it). My one complaint with this pad is that it's not really self-inflating: as other reviewers have noted, you do have to finish inflating it manually, and it's not exactly easy to close the cap after you're done.

Other than the one minor non-self inflating issue, I am happy with this product and would recommend it for back-sleepers or side-sleepers who don't mind a little hip discomfort when camping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, July 20, 2010
Very well constructed and ruggedly sturdy, but still rolls up tightly and self-inflates completely with just the littlest assistance. One side is a no-slip material that really works well, keeping you from 'surfing' in your tent all night! I would purchase this again and recommend it to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alps Comfort series are nice pads, October 31, 2011
I purchased 2 XL pads and 1 regular pad for camping. The XL pads are 3" and nicely sized for a full size adult. I just got back from 2 days of camping where the temps were below 40 each night. The pads were comfy and kept us warm from the cold ground. I bought the regular pad for my 6 year old which at 2" inflated is ok for a child. The width on the regular pad is so small I can't imagine anyone but a child using this pad. Even an older child may find this pad too small. It does pack well and is 1/3 the size of the XL pad rolled up.

A couple of points I'd like to make from reading other reviews of these.

-The first inflation does take some time. Alps recommends allowing the pad to inflate on its own for 30-minutes the first time. Then blow air into it manually to fully inflate, close the valves and let it sit that way over night. Subsequent inflates/deflates should occur naturally on its own.

-The instructions/ warranty info is in the inside pocket in the stuff sack with the repair kit.

-The pads are meant to be stored fully inflated with the valves open, NOT rolled in the stuff sack. The instructions clearly point this out. If you store these pads rolled, the foam will compress and may not reach full thickness the next time it's unrolled/ inflated.

I researched many options for camping bedding including air beds, open celled foam, closed cell foam. These pads seem the be the best of all worlds providing comfortable thickness, portability, and protection from temperature transfer from the ground.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camping pads, December 4, 2009
This review is from: ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad (Sports)
I've probably used almost every type of pad under a sleeping bag to include those annoying blow-up things. This is absolutely the best pad you can get for the money and it works. No puffing, just let it do it's thing and you're in slumberland. Folds up into a very small package and can fit in any ruck I've used. Buy one for everyone in your unit (family, significant others, etc) and don't forget your scout dogs or attack cats. This is one of those must have, space-saving deals. Be aware thse will NOT serve as a water flotation device, but either does a 125 pound ruck so develop alternate plans in the water department.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort Series, aptly named., July 9, 2010
This review is from: ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad (Sports)
I have used this pad on the ground in my bivy and hanging in my hammock. I've used it in warm weather and cold weather, rain and clear skies. Comfort and insulation have left me with no complaints at all. It inflates and deflates quickly, as advertised.

5.0 out of 5 stars I snore just fine now., April 7, 2011
MichaelD "FenderBender" (Shelby, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have purchased both the light weight and comfort series of this pad in regular size. For the extra 6 ounces of weight, this comfort series is really nice and my ground tent saver. It's only partially self inflating, expect to add a few puffs for ultimate lay. A bit thicker than the light weight version and those bumps on the bottom keep it in place all night long. After just a few nights out under the stars I can honestly say this one is for me. Stuff sack and patch kit included, which another top brand at 3 times the cost makes you buy separately. Im sold on this item and put the other brand up for sale. I bought the light version for hammock camping, but found this to work just as good there too as a cold barrier, I don't count ounces at this point. As long as the pricing stays down, this will be hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pad, August 28, 2010
I'm around 6'. Got the short size to save space and found it just right. Gets the important spots & I just throw some clothes at my feet. Not sure it would work for someone much taller, though.

It's a comfortable pad and is easy to roll up pretty small. The stuff sack is, if anything, too big

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sleeping pad!, July 26, 2010
Brett Whited (Parkersburg, WV United States) - See all my reviews
I bought 2 of these sleeping pads after first purchasing the low end therm-a-rest pad (thin rubbery green pad), which by the way, I ended up sending back. These things are so much nicer than the cheap therm-a-rest pads! They seem like they are more heavy duty and could withstand a beating. Plus they come with straps, a repair kit and a carrying case. Great value! We used them this passed weekend and they were great!

ALPS Mountaineering Comfort Series Air Pad - Regular