4.0 out of 5 stars Great tent, June 23, 2010
This review is from: Alps Mountaineering Lynx Clay/Rust Tent, 4 Person 5424617 (Sports)
We got this tent as a rental from an outfitter. We were surprised, we were expecting a Kelty Gundison. We did not despair, figuring the outfitters knew what they were doing. We weren't disappointed either. This tent is light, compact. It weighs the same and is only slightly bigger when compressed than our ten year old three man backpacking tent (Eureka Pinnacle). It is a breeze to put up. My husband managed it the first time in the dark and the rain in just a few minutes. The two-pole clip system that many of these tents have is great for this. Looking at the build quality, it seemed sturdier than a similar REI tent we looked at. (The clips looked thicker and the floor didn't feel as thin). We got a ground cloth which we used and a gear loft which we didn't. I think my favorite feature about this tent is the awesome vents in the fly that pop open and still keep you dry. There are also clear plastic windows in the fly which are kind of cheesy, but it's nice to be able to see out. My only gripe is a small one and that is in the design of the gear vestibules. The zippers pull from the bottom, so if you are in the tent and want to get out you have to lean way out to reach the zipper. The vestibule is somewhat useless, I think since it is wide and low. This is a really common tent design and I can't figure out why these vestibules are so popular. There's not much you can really do with them. If you had four people with four backpacks, there's no way you'd get them all in there.

We just mostly use the vestibules to keep our shoes dry. It does that fine, but our Eureka Pinnacle does as well and has no extra vestibule zipper to cope with, just an overhang that will keep a small amount of stuff dry. When the weather was nice we pinned back the vestibules so that it was easier to get in and out of the tent. There was also the option to just have half the vestibule open, which worked really well.
If the zipper on the vestibule pulled from the top, I'd probably have given it a five star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am happy., January 30, 2013
It is not the lightest tent on the market, or biggest. However, for the quality you get and for the price you get it at, it is hard to complain. If you are going to backpack with it you are most likely going to want to split it up between 2 or more people, but again, it's a nice tent. I will be surprised if it doesn't last many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Setup, August 11, 2013
Used this on a family camping trip. It is easy to setup, the poles are strong and there is enough room to setup a queen size air mattress with some room left over. Had a little rain in the morning and the tent stayed dry. With the fly on there is not much air ventilation otherwise would be 5 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Tent, June 23, 2013
Summer Moore (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this tent last week and took it out with my pregnant wife and 60 lbs. dog for the weekend. We endured some serious rain with only minor leaking. The size was great for the three of us and will used even more once our kiddo arrives. For the price, this is good tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tent - Great company, July 15, 2013
NIce, Nice nice. Just got back from a 3-day adventure with the new Lynx 4. Easiest tent I've ever set up. Hey, believe the first instruction to: DO A TRIAL SET UP BEFORE GOING... I did, and one of the poles snapped in half immediately... grrrrrrr. BUT, I called Alps and their SUPER customer service FedExed a pole set in time for the outing, no Q's asked. That's my kind of customer support!

We had some brief, but heavy downpours in East Tennessee and I stayed high and dry and so did my gear under the vestibules. Easy in and out with the spacious doors (smooth zippers) I'm 5'8' and could step out rather than crawl out. The rainfly has adjustable top vents and it was quite comfortable with mid 60 temps at night. I have no doubt that the Lynx can handle some severe weather.

The Lynx 4 is definitely a well made tent that will see several years of action. Great value for the features and quality. I'm glad I'd read several tent reviews and stumbled across this brand. Oh, and I'm a space hog so this tent is just for me usually, but my wife and I still have plenty of room. 4 people? Mmmm, kids maybe. Lynx 4, a great tent from a great company.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, April 16, 2011
this tent is a great buy. It's much bigger than i expected. it is a little bulky for backpacking but it's definitely worth it if you like plenty of room.

5.0 out of 5 stars liked it, April 4, 2012
used this tent for the first time last weekend...had me 6'3 250 lbs, my gf who is 5'4 120lbs, and thre girls ages 6,5 and 4... had enough room but i was a little snug up against the wall of the tent...i liked the ventilation alot and it stayed humidity free for the most part...was in the low 30's at night, no precip...easy to set up and was light enough for its size...i would recommend buying this tent and im looking forward to using it again....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, July 2, 2013
I received this tent on a Tuesday and by mid-afternoon on the next day it was setup and used for the next 10 days. This tent stayed dry in 2.5 inches of rain and gail force winds gusting up to 51 miles per hour. It is a nice solid tent, the double wall construction is a must when dealing with the elements of nature. I really appreciate the 11.5 mm aluminum poles. It is roomy enough for two light weight cots along with camping gear for two people. The height of the tent can be a challenge at 60 inches but who in their right mind wants to dance in their tent anyway. Alps is a great company to work with, I would highly recommend this tent to anyone that appreciates being dry when camping. Ventaliation wasn't a huge factor for me on this outing as the nights were still a bit chilly but I believe that the huge windows would provide adequate ventilation if the weather calls for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Tent., June 26, 2014
Everything is good so far after a few uses. All the components are sturdy, fabric and seams are solid, doesn't leak. You really can beat this tent for the price and is way better than the Coleman it has replaced! Took only a minute to set up first time out of the box and can sleep 4 comfortably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy Scout approved (not endorsed by BSA), June 25, 2014
Boy Scout Troop...used once a month on 3 day campouts, survived its first 3" downpour and all are dry. Boys love them!

Rate and Discover Movies