Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 2 Backpacking Tent
|Price:||$164.22 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Free-standing 2-poledesign with 7000 Series aluminum poles
- Polyester fly resists UV damage and stays taut
- Factory sealed fly and floor seams give best weather protection
- 2 doors and 2 vestibules - great ventilation with entire mesh walls and adjustable fly vent
- Easy sssembly with pole clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
|Department||adults, unisex-adult, mens|
|Item Dimensions||89 x 88 x 41 inches|
|Item Weight||3 pounds|
|Maximum Height||38 inches|
- Material: [Fly] urethane-coated polyester; [Floor] urethane-coated nylon
- Freestanding: Yes
- Poles: 2
- Pole Material: 7000 series aluminum
- Doors: 2
- Clip / Sleeve: Clip
- Floor Space: 58 x 88in (147 x 223.5cm); 35.2sq ft (3.27sq m)
- Interior Height: 38in (96.5cm)
- Vestibule Space: 18sq ft (1.67sq m)
- Packed Size: 6 x 21in (15 x 53cm)
- Ventilation: Mesh walls
- Weight: 5lb 4oz (2381g)
- Recommended Use: Three-season camping, backpacking
- Manufacturer Warranty:
- Country of Origin: China
- Free-standing 2-pole design with 7000 series aluminum poles
- Easy Assembly with Pole Clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
- Factory-sealed fly and floor seams offer great weather protection
- 75D 185T taffeta Floor with 2000mm coating
- Extra Large zippers on door and vestibule
- Great ventilation with entire mesh walls
- Vestibule for gear storage and extra weather protection
- Weatherproof fly buckles on to tent for maximum adjustability and protection
- Base Size: 4 feet, 10 inches by 7 feet, 4 inches
- Center Height: 3 feet, 2 inches
- Vestibule Depth: 28 inches
- Tent Area: 31 square feet
- Vestibule Area: 17 square feet
- Tent and Fly Weight: 4 pounds, 8 ounces
- Total Weight: 4 pounds, 12 ounces
- Packed Size: 6 by 18 inches
- Pole Diameter: 8.5 mm
- Tent Style: Two-pole freestanding
- Use Rating: 3 Season
- Capacity: 2 adults
- Fly Material: 75D, 185T, poly taffeta, 1500mm multi-pass urethane coating
- Floor Material: 75D, 185T, poly taffeta, 2000mm multi-pass urethane coating
- Wall Material: Nylon no-see-um Mesh, 40D
- Frame Material: 8.5 mm 7000 Series Aluminum Poles
Top Customer Reviews
Here are the only downsides I can find so far with the Zephyr:
1) The footprint is hard to find. Search for "floor saver."
2) There are partial sleeves so you cannot pitch the footprint/fly and then be sheltered to pitch the rest of the tent. However, you can pitch just footprint (not included) and fly for a light shelter.
3) With the fly door unzipped all the way, water can enter the tent. Just don't unzip all the way if it is raining.
4) The tapered design would leave things tight in the foot area if a second person were present. I plan to just use it solo or with one of my kids.
EDIT: I have now decided that #3 is not bad, as it allows a nice view straight up at the stars when you are laying down with the fly open.
All in all, I was very pleased. I found a deal on a Zephyr 3 and snatched it up without hesitation for the rest of the family, or if I need a tent for two adults.
UPDATE 05 JAN 2012
I still love this tent. It has been through some extreme wind and rain and held up great. On a windy beach I was thankful that ALPS included the 4 guylines which worked perfectly in the wind.Read more ›
As far as rain protection goes, I was pretty impressed with this tent. We endured very heavy rain on and off throughout the evening and night. The tent kept us very dry. I only have one complaint, there was one spot where the poles crossed at the top of the tent where the fly seemed to leak a little. I think I may just need to seam seal the entire fly, even though ALPS says you don't have to. But other than that we had no water get in from the sides.
We had two weekend packs(3400 and 4000cu in) with us, with one in each vestibule. It covered these easily with room to spare for our shoes and did a good job of keeping our gear dry too.
Overall, this is a pretty good tent, especially for the price. And I would definitely recommend it, but I would also recommend that you seam seal the fly before taking it out.
This tent has all the features of tents costing twice as much. It is a great value. The quality appears to be top notch. The aluminum poles are small and lightweight but fit together perfectly and are strong.
I did a lot of research before purchasing this tent. I liked that it has two doors and two vestibules. Also, I am very weight conscious and the 4.7 lbs is pretty good for this size tent. From my research I would have only saved maybe 3 ounces for a higher priced tent and would have had to settle for one door, one vestibule.
Overall, great value for the money. I am very impressed with the quality of Alps Mountaineering.
UPDATE 11/17/2008 - I finally had the chance to camp in the Zephyr 2. My 5 year old son and I hiked and camped with a friend and his boys. It was getting dark and starting to rain when we got to the camp site. The Zephyr went up very quick, kept us dry all night through some pretty heavy rain. I love the two doors and vestibules - lots of room for gear and you don't have to worry about brushing up against the side and getting wet from condensation. I slept well with no worries about the wind and rain.
I love the tent! I can't imagine a higher price tent being any better quality than this. Good balance between price, weight, and features.
UPDATE 1/3/2012 - I have had this tent for 3 years now. It is my goto tent. The tent did leak once during an all-night fairly heavy rain. It leaked at the top around the zipper track. Another coat of seam sealer and all is well (I recommend seam sealing any tent).
I woke up completely dry the next morning. I did find a bit of condensation had made its way through the floor under my sleeping pad, where a puddle had formed in a depression in the ground. It was nothing major, and next time I'll be sure not to set up in a hole. This tent is lightweight, coming in under 5 lbs., very easy and quick to set up, and most importantly, weather ready. This is my first introduction to ALPS products and I intend to consider more of their products in the future.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Tent is OK, but because of customer service I would look elsewhere next time. Stuff bag is made of really thin material that fell apart. Read morePublished 6 months ago by K.T.
Love this tent. My husband and I take it when we go backpacking. It is light-weight, durable and easy to assemble. No leaks. We have used it on several backpacking/camping tripsPublished 12 months ago by Brittany Billa
I want to give it 5 stars because it is so close to perfect. Better than any other 2 person tent I have shopped for. Love the slightly raised area at one end for head space. Read morePublished 13 months ago by RaddDew
had this tent for a few years. I've used it as a 3 season, and have never had issues with it. material is sturdy, seams seem well sewn. Read morePublished 16 months ago by Anthony Vizzini
Light weight comes at the price of durability, I basically lived in this for about 2 months in East Africa and it was in shreds at the end. Read morePublished 18 months ago by RavenDesk
This is a great tent, especially for the price. It is lightweight, packs fairly small, and incredibly easy to set-up (you'll be able to do it in the dark in no time). Read morePublished 19 months ago by Brian in Utah
If you enjoy waking up wet in the morning go for it. I've had this tent for a little over two years and used it on and off and its decent in good weather. Read morePublished 21 months ago by Matt
Love, love, love this tent. I have camped basically on top of red ant colonies, and in clouds of humming mosquitoes, and in all other conditions as well, and the Zephyr 2 has... Read morePublished 21 months ago by CenAsiaHound