5.0 out of 5 stars YUP, YOUR SEARCH IS OVER !
I own a MOLLE II GEN4 Pack, An Eberlestock V90 Battleship, An ILBE MAIN RUCK, a Large Franken-MALICE, A USGI CFP-90. A Camelbak BFM and a Motherlode (and a few others, truth) ... Now ... I am still evaluating these packs and the ILBE was nearly $300, new ... The Eberlestock V90 was $400 (OUCH!) ...
... I honestly cannot guarantee that this pack will meet all of YOUR...
Published 20 months ago by Hard Core Camper

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited Durability
My husband bought this pack and took it on an 3 day trip in the High Uintas last summer. Pack was loaded with approximately 80 pounds of gear/food at the start and upon his return we found the grommets on the top part of the shoulder straps had torn away from the nylon. This pack is advertised as being able to carry out big game, such as elk head etc.and it fell apart on...
Published 3 months ago by Ashley Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars YUP, YOUR SEARCH IS OVER !, November 19, 2012
This review is from: ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches (Sports)
... I honestly cannot guarantee that this pack will meet all of YOUR requirements ... But I am confident that, for the price, it is the FIRST pack you should purchase and evaluate because I could have saved over $800 if I had found this pack BEFORE buying others. The ILBE is "worth it" but is very heavy and is not optimal ... The Eberlestock V90 is just way over-priced and ain't "all that" ... a good pack, but not **THAT** good".

This pack is really two packs in one (BOTH, at the same time, BTW) ... You can strap a large duffle or a 90 (plus) liter kayak dry-bag or even a quartered deer or a full gerry-can or a stack of 5-gallon buckets, using the cargo-shelf, in conjunction with the provided cargo straps. The ruck portion can fold up and out of the way or can be quickly and easily removed. So can the separate accesory "wings", which have pockets for critical gear. There is a dedicated, elastisized retainer-pocket for a rifle butt (along with upper cynch straps) ... This is a really versatile and light-weight pack that even comes with 3 cargo strap extensions.

Cons: Design employs split-rings to retain the mounting and adjustment pins ... Cotter-type spring-pins (with retention-notches) would be much better but are cheap and easy to source. ALSO ... My friend said that HIS Commander frame was overly squeaky and made too much noise ... He said it bugged him. I do not intend to use this pack in a scout-sniper role and I am not noticing anything much worse than full ALICE noise.

I seriously doubt that you will regret this purchase. NO OTHER decent cargo-frame can do so much for anywhere near this price. Truly gives much of the capability of a Kifaru or Mystery-Ranch cargo rig, at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Do this ... You can always drop $400 to $700 to upgrade, later (LoL!).

SPECOPS ? ... You can afford to pay seven times this price ... Go for it !

CLEARLY AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, THIS PACK SYSTEM IS WAY SUPERIOR TO MY CFP-90 OR MY MALICE CARGO RIG OR MY MOLLE II GEN4 Packs ... All those systems cost more than this one and I would quickly trade any of those, for this one ... I will keep my Eberlestock V90 and my ILBE, though ... they cost more but they are very good packs ... My Camelback BFM and the Maxpedition Condor II and FALCON II are also quite worthy (but much smaller capacity).

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality at a great price!, February 24, 2012
I purchased the Alps Outdoor Z Commander w/ Freighter frame pack along with a Kelty Cache Hauler. I have to say that this frame is very good quality and strong. I was very pleased and surprised at the quality of the pack. It also has a ton of space.
Compared with the Kelty I listed, the Alps is quite a bit larger. The frame is heavy and the pack solid. The frame is different than the Kelty but with minor differences. The Kelty pack is much heavier fabric and has metal arms to support the pack shelf instead of heavy nylon straps. The Kelty however is quite a bit smaller.
Honestly, If I knew that the quality of the Alps pack and frame were this good, I would have purchased two and saved some coin. The Kelty is $97.00 more than the Alps. I am disapointed with the Kelty. It has a short frame and pack, and it sells for around $220.00
If you want a bunch of room,a well built pack, and a solid frame for packing, at a great price , buy the Alps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile and nice pack for the $$$, February 7, 2013
I was searching for a pack (frame+pack) to serve as the pack for my BOB/SHTF long term all weather survival kit. I have served 10yrs in the Army, so 1 pack to serve as my A+B bag. I have plenty of experience with the MOLLE as I have carried and rucked with one quite a lot, and have heavily modified it over the years to fit my needs, but it has proven to just be too inefficient for my intended use. I have also used the internal frame Field Pack (L), it was even more restricting, unbalanced, and quite frankly too much to purchase.

So upon receiving this, it came decently packed, but in a box that was too big IMO, everything was in order. So I sat down on the couch to get familiar with the pack, adjusting for fit, removing it from the frame and reassembling it. This immediately exposed the first highly needed modification. The cotter pins that hold the pack together have a "spring-loop" much like a key chain that hold the cotter pins. There are 18 of them in total if you want to disassemble the frame. 10 if you want to remove the pack to haul game or wood or what not. If this was attempted in frigid temperatures, I think it would create a big problem once your fingers started loosing dexterity from the cold. I opt to swap out all the of the cotter pins with "lock pins" or "snapper pins" for a quick release method that could be done with gloves on with an added advantage of not having to ever worry about losing one of those "spring-loops". This upgraded cost about $32 to replace all the pins on the bag which is still under the Kelty version of this bag by a large margin!

This is an expedition size pack, there is no getting around that, the frame is large, and it extends vertically with adjustment. When I loaded up this bag which included my Rem 700 30-06, Rug 10/22 Take Down mounted on the opposite side with all my other gear (full gear list to survive for years to include snowshoes) it was 93 lb. This is a lot of weight, but it carried it well, and balanced well. I purposely tested the weight with a 30min walk, and though it was heavy. I didn't have any strange pressure points developing..very good sign! I have not had a chance to field test the bag, but the motto "If you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you" has always stood true with everything I have owned.

I really like the design of the frame, and now going through the process to allow the frame to convert into a sled utilizing the existing cotter holes, so that I can pull my cargo at times (like when there is a significant amount of snow on the ground) rather than carry it. If you've ever pack-carried a field dressed elk out in deep snow, you'd rather pull it than carry it...especially considering the load rating on snowshoes if you have them.

All-in-all, its an excellent pack for the money, and if you're looking for an expedition size pack that is versatile and won't break the bank, consider this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Backpack -- Great Versitility and Value, August 30, 2012
Sam Ford "Sam" (Phoenix, Arizona USA) - See all my reviews
I like to camp and backpack in the wilderness, so I tend to carry a lot of equipment. I did a lot of research looking for a larger, more versital backpack, and once I determined that an external-frame design would meet my needs better than an internal-frame unit, I compared all the models I could find. I selected the ALPS Commander backpack and freighter frame combination. The ALPS beat them all in functionality and features.

First of all, the unit as advertised, is really two products in one. The backpack itself can be removed from the frame and the 'freighter frame' part used to carry firewood or other cargo. The shelf at the bottom is part of that functionality, as well as the side cargo pouches that are part of that configuration. Since, I'm only interested in using it as a backpack I've removed the shelf (to remove weight) and moved the freighter frame pack portion to the outside of the backpack where those storage compartments can be easily accessed. That configuration provides room for more equipment and still provides access to all of the backpack compartments. I stuff it full of equipment and supplies, so it's weighs around 50 lbs. That said, it carries well, and is balanced and comfortable when setup properly.

I prefer an external frame design over an internal one because the frame can be used to strap on additonal pouches and equipment, and the frame protects the backpack when it's in contact with the ground. This keeps the pack from getting wet on damp ground or cut by sharp rocks.

Overall this is a great pack and I'm somewhat surprised it's priced as low as it is when compared to other models available with less capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Value, well laid out, needs a few mods, February 14, 2014
You will not find a more useful pack for the money. I intend to use this pack for extended trips, however I recommend a few modifications before you head-out. 1) It has spring rings that retain all the clevis pins. The clevis pins attached the frame and pack together. The spring rings are extremely frustrating to deal with in my dry, warm, well lit living room, so they had to go. Replaced with hair pins from the hardware store, $5, and tie or tape them down so they don't rattle. 2) The shoulder straps are too cheap and will not control weight very well. I was in the military and you want to be able to shift the load between your shoulders and waist belt while on the move. The bottom of the shoulder strap is not attached to the frame as it should be, they stitched the strap to the back side of waist belt. This is not reliable. I replaced the shoulder straps with MOLLE II desert shoulder straps, $15. MOLLE II straps attached to the frame, top and bottom, without issue and greatly increased load stability as MOLLE II uses vertical and horizontal attachment to the frame top side. Remove the lower straps, loop around the bottom frame, thread it through itself and reattach the the strap pads, too easy. Now I can shift the load on the fly and my pack is not rocking back and forth anymore. Get this pack, make some changes, and it will serve you well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs and then some!, November 29, 2012
I spent a good amount of time researching backpacks for camping and kept going back and forth between internal/external frame, different makes/models... all depending on the price. I didn't want to spend over $70ish but after looking more into the ALPS Commander (reading reviews, watched a youtube video of a guy unboxing it etc) & mostly being able to load up my rifle plus the frame aspect of having a tray that could be used in bunch of different ways, I said okay.. and bought it. First of all, it arrived very quick (2days cause I signed up for Amazon Prime's 30 free trial) and once I got it out of the box, it took a little bit for me to get it setup correctly cause the bag portion can come completely off the frame and you can adjust the belt etc (also the frame came with two canvas sides w/ pockets so I tried to get it all worked in etc).. I loaded it up with all my gear, rifle and was also able to get my bow & arrows (the bow breaks down) right next to the rifle and in the little rifle stock holder that comes with the Commander bag(so there's plenty of room for all that and you can expand the straps to make more room). After loading it all up, and I mean all my camping gear.. including a 3 person tent (that tray works great for all sorts of things!!), extra blankets, tarp, ax, shovel, stove, knives, ammo, fishing tackle gear, mess gear, & food (basically all the other things I would normally bag up separately), I lifted it and thought okay maybe I went overboard cause by then it got pretty heavy, until I buckled up the hip belt and then all the weight came right off my shoulders. In short, I'm extremely impressed with this bag and its quality. I took it out last weekend and was just amazed that in the back of my truck everything I needed was all in one place, inside this bag. After three days and two nights out, it stood up great and this is a bag that I believe will last me a long time to come. The zippers work real good too.. my only concern is with the plastic buckles but that's with most bags these days. I put mine to the test pretty good and had no issue with the buckles.. though I'd imagine in time they'll probably break at one time or another.. good thing is that it came with three extra straps for using on the frame, so I take those with me for just in case. I was pretty hesitant to spend over $100 for a "backpack" but now, I'm glad I did.. this ALPS Commander is more than just a bag though, I see that now and the quality is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for the price, June 5, 2013
I purchased this pack based largely on the positive reviews it has received. Overall, this is an excellent pack for its price point and I'm not disappointed.

Pros:
* I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the pack material; it's a sturdy, rip-stop synthetic (nylon? polyester? blend?) that should take all the normal wear and tear you can throw at it.
* The pack inside is separated into two compartments by a drawstring closure; the drawstring can be opened to have a high volume single compartment accessable from either the top or sleeping bag compartment. Closing the drawstring creates a separate sleeping bag compartment.
* The top flap is large and will adjust to allow overstuffing the pack.
* The clevis pins are steel, which should prevent them from doing the "aluminum bend" under heavy load. I have no problem with the spiral key ring style of keeper. I don't need quick change capability since this will be a single purpose pack only used by me.
* The shelf is well made, even to the thoughtful touch of plastic washers being used at the hinge to eliminate squeaks. The nylon straps are a preferable arrangement over metal lever hinges to support the shelf because they can be routed around an awkward load where metal shelf supports could be in the way and prone to damage.
* The shelf is removable.
* The load carry straps are of high quality, but short. The 12 inch extension straps are also high quality, but more thought should have gone into this design. A single set of straps with simply longer adjustment would have eliminated the need to carry extra straps and simplified everything.
* The frame seems to be well made with good quality welds and plastic inserts at all crossbar slide points to eliminate squeaks.
* The pack stitching is well done; straight lines, no pulled or loose stitches, double stitching where appropriate. However, I wish the load straps had been double stitched at their attachment points.

Cons:
* It's made in China; but what do you expect for something at this price point?
* The flexible floor divider in the pack allows the top compartment to intrude into the sleeping bag compartment, if it's overstuffed first. To reliably get your sleeping bag into this pack, you have to load the sleeping bag first and then finishing loading the top compartment.
* The suspension (shoulder straps and waist belt) is the place where corners were cut to get this price (subtract one star). The shoulder straps have only "average" padding and are simply pinned to the torso crossbar with a basic length adjustment (vets, think ALICE LC-1 pack straps); unfortunately, there are no load lifter straps. The waist belt has a padding thickness of slightly above average (vets, better than ALICE), in my opinion.

Observations:
* There is no provision or compartment for a water bladder.
* The military sleep system bags will nicely fit the width of the frame (15 inches)

Mods I made:
* First I replaced the shoulder straps with a set of MOLLE 2 straps I had on hand (readily available from military surplus stores for ~$20 US) because of the far superior padding and the load lifter straps this assembly has. The MOLLE straps fit beautifully without having to modify either the straps or the frame. What a difference! The load lifters allow adjusting the pack balance so you can walk fully upright and turn it into a pleasure to wear. If you don't do anything else, do this mod.
* Second, I also replaced the waist belt with a MOLLE 2 belt; another big improvement, although this conversion requires a little tinkering. Basically, load straps have to be routed from the bottom of the frame up through the belt to the next crossbar in order for the belt to support the pack and replace the pins that held the original belt. However, when finally installed the MOLLE 2 belt allows me to carry canteens on my hips and get 4 lbs of load off of the pack and my back.

In my opinion, making these two low cost mods turned it into a $200 pack.

Bottom line - excellent value (add one star) for the quality delivered. I would recommend it to others; highly recommended it you replace the shoulder straps.

5.0 out of 5 stars MC, October 23, 2012
Great backpack, very large backpack but very comfortable, the shelf part is wonderful for carry awkward loads. Very happy, went camping in Grand Tetons in early fall and served us well. Very happy with this product, fast shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile product, September 25, 2012
With the extra satchel this backpack has it all. It has a place for everything. With the satchel removed it is great for hauling out your quartered game. It's design make extra weight seem like a lot less. I highly recommend this product, It's affordable and functional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Pack for The price, November 15, 2012
This is a great pack for the price. the pins are a little noisy but that could be easily fixed. This pack is comparable to $300-$400 packs and performs just as well if not better. The way the pack attackes to the frame takes a while to remove or install.

ALPS OutdoorZ Commander Freighter Frame Plus Pack Bag, 5250 Cubic Inches