Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ALTA 50413 AltaFLEX Heavy Duty Knee Protector Pad, Nylon Fabric, AltaLOK Fastening, Flexible Cap, Long, Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Size: Long|Style Name: AltaLOK Fastening|Color: Black|Change

on April 20, 2010
I purchased the Alta Superflex Knee Pads with the non-velcro "Altalok" buckle (featured in the photo).

The packaging states clearly "not intended for athletic applications", but I could see it being used in outdoor sporting activities (the reason for my initial purchase). After adjusting and wearing them, they are quite comfortable. The disclaimer is probably because the cushioning is not as thick as other cushioning found in volleyball or similar knee pads available, but make no mistake: there is comfortable fabric and great padding in these.

The cap is not a super-rigid, plastic material like many skateboarding caps are. They are a sturdy but flexible, hard rubber material with a soft texture to them that provides grip when kneeling down.

The lower strap is made of a tough and durable adjustable Du Pont Cordura (R) strap. The upper strap is made of a flexible elastic strap that gives enough tension to keep the fit around the lower quads/above the knee nice and tight without hindering range of motion when bending at the knee.

The "Altalok" buckle system is simple to use; they slide in and out easily and are designed in such a way to eliminate any accidental loosening of the strap. They pivot on hinge that the buckle hooks around as well, enabling a more comfortable fit.

Overall, I recommend this product to anyone who wants a comfortable, versatile kneepad. Construction workers, paintballers, and airsofters would appreciate the build quality and the comfort of the Alta Superflex Knee Pads.
22 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2010
I love them! Much better than the issued POS'
They're easy to adjust.
Comfortable ~Don't overheat, elastic doesn't dig into bad
They're secure, so everytime you take a knee, they're going to be there.
Rubberized cap, so your not sliding around on rocks.
Nice and lightweight.
Foam is thick enough to kneel all day.
on September 17, 2009
I understand that these are the same pads that the military uses. After some marathon caving I can understand why. I might not have knees any more if these bad boys weren't there. I also love the rubber caps over hard plastic, stiff fabric, or other alternatives.
on December 2, 2012
Very, very comfortable...nice fit even on my fat legs. They actually work when you kneel down. Shipping was fast fast, and the quality is great.
review image
on July 30, 2013
Worked grate inside a cave. This was our first wild cave tour with a group of friends. They were avid cavers and they were jealous!
review image
on November 30, 2011
These are really sturdy, and very comfortable to wear. I found them to be easy to adjust, and they stay put. I use them primarily for photography: I take a lot of low-angle shots, and my knee takes a beating. So running around with one of these wrapped on my leg all day is not a problem: doesn't slide off, stays put, offers excellent padding/protection and feels comfortable.

Recently I also put them to use on a renovation project. And they held up great.

Generally, the plastic front does scuff up pretty easily, but besides cosmetics it has no effect on the product. They're been used and abused for over a year now, and hold up just as well as the day I got 'em (just little beat up, that's all, but lots of life left in them). Great product.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2011
I bought these for backpacking, working on my car and general around the house chores. They are extremely comfortable and i really like the Alta locks. Very few times did i need to adjust them. I have had 5 knee surgeries and these helped keep the pain down tremendously. The cushioning is amazing. I am 6'1" 225lb and even with my knee issues i had no problem dropping down to one or both knees. Awesome product.
on September 14, 2012
Look like decent knee pads for the money. I wore them for a two day training event running around and after the second day, the plastic pulled out of the rivet holding onto the knee pad fabric portion. Very disappointed! They worked fine at first, but I don't believe they are durable enough for legit wear and use.
on January 13, 2013
These are great knee pads if you need alot of flexibility and mobility. I used these exact same knee pads in an ABU cammo pattern for 99 days of USAF Security Forces training. They offer a good degree of shock protection, light weight, and as I mentioned earlier great mobility.

In my opinion these are ideally suited for situations where you have to take a knee or go prone intermittently. In situations where you must remain on a knee for prolonged periods of time (roofing etc.) I would opt for a gel filled pad with a thicker knee cup. In short, these are great for running around and skidding all over the ground; not so much for remaining on the ground.
on January 6, 2013
These knee are smaller than the ACU Military Army Bijans Tactical Knee & Elbow Pads, which I also bought. They can be put on above clothing since they are secured by two velcro straps behind the knee. I use them while biking in the winter. A good buy!