Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

• AM
  • Customer Reviews

AM
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$8.59+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 10, 2013
I still remember when I first listened to Arctic Monkeys classic debut album "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not". Even just the title was intriguing. It was one of the best post punk indie rock albums ever. Also one of the best rock records in the 2000s. The album had small success in the US, but did get a Grammy nomination. Then a year later they released their second masterpiece in a row titled "Favourite Worst Nightmare". I loved the slightly different musical direction of the album. It was another classic, but still the US was almost ignoring the band! Two years later they released "Humbug", which was also a great album. It was more psychedelic and sometimes reminded me of "The Doors" and legendary bands from the 60s. Then came what was honestly my least favorite album, "Suck It and See". It was a great album, but definitely a step down for me. I almost gave up on the band after that album. Finally they released "R U Mine?" as a single. It was the best song I've heard from the band in years. Then came "Do I Wanna Know" and finally "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?". The band said the album took influences from Hip Hop, most notably "Dr Dre" and I could hear it in the lead singles. Needless to say, I was sold and I couldn't wait to own the album. Finally here it is, and it is truly an amazing collection of songs. Here is a track by track review.

1. Do I Wanna Know?: The best single from the band since "When The Sun Goes Down" in my opinion. The pulsing hip hop beat will make you wanna clap along. The guitar riff is destined to become a classic. The way Alex muses the verses is perfect. The song is getting recognition in the US and I'm glad! Definitely one of my favorites. 10/10
2. R U Mine?: At first I thought this was just gonna be a stand alone single. Then it was included in the album. Really a great rocker song reminiscent of "Favourite Worst Nightmare". More great guitars! Great great song! 10/10
3. One For The Road: The song already starts smooth with a perfect chorus. Then the hip hop bass kicks in. Really does have that "Dr Dre" funky feel! The guitar solo is tasty and the background chants of the chorus are candy for the ears. 10/10
4. Arabella: Another great hip hop beat and bass leads this song. Then before you know it a Black Sabbath "War Pigs" sounding combination of guitars and drums kicks in. Its really energizing! 9.5/10
5. I Want It All: Nice guitars in the song. For some reason I hear an "Outkast" influence in the vocals of the chorus! 9/10
6. No.1 Party Anthem: Many would assume from the title that this would be a pumping party song. Wrong! This is a beautiful ballad along the lines of "505" and "Cornerstone". I think this makes those other ballads seem boring, because this one is just so perfect! I don't know what else to say. Great song to calm you down in the middle of the album! 10/10
7. Mad Sounds: Another great ballad with a "Beatles" sound to it. I thought the other ballad would be the only good one on the album. But this was also just beautiful! The "Oooo la la laaaa" parts are just soothing and gorgeous! 10/10
8. Fireside: The beat of this song is urgent and mysterious! There are great backing vocals chanting "shoo wop shoo wop" so infectiously during the chorus! The last half of the song gets even better and sexy! Another perfect song. 10/10
9. Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?" This song. This song has the biggest "Dr Dre" influence as evident in the thumping groovy bass! The smooth and sexy vocals. The sexy chorus. The sexy backing vocals! This song is just sexy and amazing. 10/10
10. Snap Out of It: A nice clapping song! Of course the chorus is just delicious! 9.5/10
11. Knee Socks: This is my new favorite song from the band. The guitars are great. The vocals are some of the best from Alex and so smooth. The chorus is the sexiest I've heard from any band in a long time. Try not to get the chorus stuck in your head I dare you. This would be a great single! I thought track 9 would be the sexiest, but this definitely steals the cake! 11/10
12. I Wanna Be Yours: This ballad has a slow hip hop beat, but nice beautiful psychedelic guitars. Again the chorus is slow sexy perfection. This song is great to play for someone you want to fall in love with you. Nice relaxing way to end this nearly perfect album. 10/10

So this album was consistently great. There were no tracks I would skip. Many can agree this is the bands best album since the "Favourite Worst Nightmare". But I can truthfully say that this might be my favorite from the band altogether! This album is very sexy in its feel and vibe. Also a great soundtrack for single people, mostly men. I feel this might finally open the US eyes to the greatness of this band again! They deserve all the recognition they get. Arctic Monkeys fans, this is a must buy. If you're new to the band, this is also a great album to get introduced to the band. Another timeless masterpiece. Also one of the few albums that got the "Hip Hop"/"Rock" vibe perfect! Well worth the money!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2014
Something's been missing lately from rock n' roll music lately - namely smart, quality music made with guitars, drums, bass and vocals. Everything is pop and robot voices these days, which is fine but bands that play rock music are increasingly rare. That role has been filled by the Black Keys for me lately. I heard "Do I Wanna Know?" on the radio and instantly got excited, thinking it was their new album that I knew was due soon.

Then the DJ tells me no, that was the new song from Arctic Monkeys. You're kidding right? I have and like "Whatever People Say..." but it's hard to listen to unless you're in a frantic, punky mood. This new song was totally different.

Next I'm hearing the catchy "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High" and that's it for me, I bought it hoping it's not an empty album with a couple catchy radio hits.

I'm glad to report it's not. This is a solid album front to back. Decidedly lower key than "Whatever People Say..." this is a more mature effort. It's both raw and refined at the same time somehow without being overproduced. The catchy radio songs that get your attention are replaced slowly by the more complex progressions of the rest of the tunes. It sounds like Black Keys with a little My Morning Jacket thrown in, with a British accent.

It's rare to find an album like this, so good from front to back. It's the type where if you keep listening, eventually you'll have a different favourite song 5 or 6 times. My favourite of 2013, even if I found it late.
on July 27, 2014
When I first heard this album, it was on Spotify, and I fell in love with Arctic Monkeys immediately. That weekend, I was in my local record store and saw the album on vinyl. I immediately impulse purchased it, and it was one of the best impulse decisions I've ever made. The album starts out strong with the drunk anthem "Do I Wanna Know?" and immediately pumps you up with "R U Mine?". From there you experience masterful songs such as "Arabella", "No. 1 Party Anthem", "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?", and the finale "I Wanna Be Yours". Alex Turner and the other Monkeys take you on a musical journey which is pleasing to the ear while drunk, high, or sober. The only flaw with this album is that it's over too quickly. Being only 41 minutes in length, all 12 songs are expertly crafted and mixed, to give you the greatest album of 2013, (in my opinion of course). If you buy one record this month, buy this one.
on April 10, 2014
I have to blast "Do I wanna know?" and "Knee socks" all the time in the morning when I'm driving to work or else I feel like something is missing in my day. Coffee is also a good contender.
on February 14, 2014
I had heard some of Arctic Monkey's music before and I liked it but I was never really in love with it. I think they really found their sound with "AM"; every song on this album is just so smooth and sexy. The only weak track here in my opinion is "Mad Sounds", it's kind of boring and I often find myself skipping it.

With albums nowadays I usually just pick a few songs I like and listen to those; that's usually enough for me. But AM is definitely unique in the sense that when I start listening to a song on it I have a very hard time resisting the urge to play the whole album in its entirety. It all flows together so well and the strongest songs on it are good enough to justify the purchase of the album on their own. I can sort of empathize with the long term fans of Arctic Monkeys that preferred their more Angsty/Punk/Loud music, but I think the fact that they could make such a drastic switch shows their range and talent.

If you're looking for another Arctic Monkeys Album similar to Favourite Worst Nightmare with fast guitar and more aggressive lyrics, you might be disappointed or caught off guard. But I think this album will do very well to raise them a lot of new fans (like myself) and keep old fans satisfied.
on February 10, 2014
I had listened to this album enough on Spotify that I decided I wanted it with me at all times. I really love the way their sound has developed. I detect distinct notes of Black Sabbath and David Bowie, and somehow it all works together.
on April 22, 2014
this album sounds like really passionate sex on a rainy afternoon, in a dimly lit room on a mattress on the floor with rumpled sheets and everything smells like sweat, perfume, and cigarette smoke
on November 2, 2014
Arctic Monkeys are easily one of the best bands out there today. Their sound is always new and fresh and with each album they reinvent themselves, constantly pushing forward rather than resting on the laurels of past success. I've been listening to the band since the FWN days, and they've never disappointed me.

This album is a brand new direction for them, exploring a deeper, more rhythmic sound than previous albums. It's pretty much the antithesis of the bare-boned Suck It and See. There's a lot more complexity to AM, in terms of vocal and production. The bass is strong, the marauding drums are at the top of their game, and the lyrics are as stunning as ever.

Stand out tunes, for me:

Do I wanna know?
R U Mine?
Knee Socks
I wanna be yours
on May 15, 2014
This album is in my top five of all time. It is so rare now a days to like every song on a record and this one doesn't let you down. Great stuff!!
on March 25, 2014
Arctic Monkeys are a great band each album they make seems to have it's own style but I love the old school rock influence they have they are always a good band to hear from