5.0 out of 5 stars Runs Very fast and cool
Published on October 31, 2011 by David

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a Bulldozer
Published on February 20, 2012 by Moises Jose Zet

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs Very fast and cool, October 31, 2011
This review is from: AMD FX 6100 6-Core Processor, 3.3 6 Socket AM3+ - FD6100WMGUSBX (Personal Computers)
Clocked easy to 4.2 Ghz with room to spare. Never reached over 48c during Prime95. Although marketed as 3.3 Ghz at stock speed with the Turbo boost it spends most of its time when set to full power upwards of 3.6 to 3.9 Ghz. This is manageable though the Catalyst Control center. I don't know why some of the reviews say it is not faster then the Phenom X6 series. My guess is they did not update their mother board or memory. My MB = MSI 990FXA-GD65 Memory= G-skill 1866 DDR3 With MSI HD 6870 Graphics. I Just updated the MB and Processor on this and i get 15 FPS increase on FFXIV. 10 FPS increase in Witcher 2. Basicly all my games have increased FPS. I was Running a 1100 Phenom 2 X6. To conclude the FX series Processors have huge Overclocking overhead, instruction sets for future programing, and paired with a AM3+ high end MB it is a beast within itself. I recommend to all. Hope this helped any one making that decision to buy or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly a Bulldozer, February 20, 2012
I bought this CPU as an upgrade to my PC as I also needed to upgrade the Motherboard. Now AMD has been pushing this Bulldozer style platform for awhile now and to give the quick rundown of what it is. Basically AMD is trying to join the Hyper-threading Market, a system used by Intel's i3, i5 and i7 CPUs. Basically what hyper-threading does is "trick" the computer into thinking it has more threads to perform its duty. So if you have a dual-core you will see 4 threads and if you have a quad-core you will see 8 threads. Now AMD has released these CPU's in 3 flavors the 4-core, 6-core (which this is and I bought)and the 8-core. Now if you just look at the marketing description you may think "Wow! these are really inexpensive for 4,6,8 core CPUs, but the reality is these are actually dual-core, tri-core and quad-core CPU's with hardware and software programming which make them appear as though they have double the actual cores. So the marketing for these chips was better than the actual chips themselves. Now who would I recommend these CPU's too? Anybody who is looking for a pretty cheap upgrade to new hardware, who is coming from old hardware. I was coming from a 890GXB MOBO (not bad), HD6850 (kept it in the upgrade process) and a AMD phenom X2 B55 (unlocked to a X4, through Mobo bios). The only reason I upgraded both the Motherboard and CPU is because I need some extra PCI-e slots and the 890GXB was a micro-ATX which only had 1. So in the process I thought it would be better to upgrade the Motherboard to something newer and look for a slight upgrade to my CPU. The AMD 6100 fits that bill. It performs way better than what I had, as now my system does not seem to choke as much when rendering a video and even playing a game at the same time. Where before, my system would bog down while only rendering the video. So coming from what I came from I am happy. But if you have an Intel i3 2100, i5 2500k or i7 2600k you are better off just staying with what you have. Or if you have a top-end Phenom X4(such as the 965) or Phenom x6 from 1055t to 1090t, which are actually AMD's CPU's with 6 physical cores, you are better off with what you have. This AMD 6100 performs slightly better than the 1055t and struggles against anything that I have listed except for the CPU it replaced (Phenom x2 B55) and the Intel i3 2100. If you need a new build and have the money I recommend the Intel i5 2500k or the i7 2600k. But if you need something that will give a little more power and will not break the bank in the process looking at these AMD bulldozer CPU's is not a bad place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Processor., February 9, 2012
For the price, this processor cannot be beat. Is it going to beat an Intel processor that costs three times as much or more? No, but then most people are comparing apples to oranges. Great speed, cool, uses less power than many comparable processors. Use a good motherboard, video card and memory and you will not be disappointed when it comes to gaming. And, unlike a previous poster, make sure you use a socket AM3+ motherboard.

Just a great processor for a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed with this low cost chip against my $1200 intel 3960x's, December 25, 2011
This cheap does not beat my intel 3960x's and that's to be expected. $1200 vs $200 range would explain that. But what impresses me about the FX6100 is how close it comes in some ways to the 3960x, it really takes some rugged use before you can see why the 3960x is a chip that whips AMD right now. With that said;

Most users never put their machine through what makes a 3960x worth the $1200
and not everyone of my PC's need to do what my power machines do. This is my chip, and I'd love to try the 8core one day.
One thing to note: UNlike the intel extreme editions, these chips clock down unlocked core usage, or so I have read.

Regardless, I love the system I built with this chip, and considering the price difference is tremendous, am to no end impressed. AMD promised a bit more with these chips than delivered (that is the opinion of most tech savvy types, and people in the industry I talked to) but one thing we all agree on is there is no better value for the money than this chip.

Love it, and I think you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrifty Buy, March 5, 2012
SanPa (MPLS, MN USA) - See all my reviews
According to Passmark, this little gem processes data at 1/2 the rate of Intel's flagship 3960x, It's not the fastest architecture on the bloc, but AMD has nothing to be ashamed of, here. At 10% of the price for Intel's flagship, this CPU delivers real world bang without the need for extra bucks.

Super pi turnaround has been astounding on the default rate processor when compared with times generated with a retired quadcore intel. Overclocking to 3.9 GHz required negligible effort, and the system was stable without need of additional CPU voltage. On full load, the 3.9 GHz set processor has not exceeded 37C, although this outcome benefited from water cooling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real screamer, November 30, 2011
Just installed this little jewel in an MSI board (AM3+ 970A-G45) and I'm truly amazed at the speed and performance highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ESXi 4.1, May 23, 2012
I have a White Box ESXi Server running in my lab. I just upgraded to FX6100 with M5A97 board with 16 Gigs. This thing is rock solid. My 6 VM's were starving from lack of memory (maxed at 8GB on old rig). Excellent addition for running ESXi with plenty of room for growth.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast and efficient havn`t tried much of o.cing and gaming yet., February 17, 2012
H. collision (benghazi - Libya) - See all my reviews
I have bought this processor along with a 990fx motherboard chipset, I havn`t overclocked it yet but as a first impression its HUGE, its really big comparing to my old pentium, the strongest point here is the price, its really cheap for a 6 core processor not to mention its unlocked and very overclock friendly, I havn`t played much of games yet but its really fast for multitasking and running cpu intensive programs, thanks to the big cache memory and turbo technology, alot professional reviewers view the fx series of processor as very bad or disappointing, forgeting to focus on the total price and value per speed, even the motherboards are much cheaper than intel and the 990fx chipset is the only chipset that support 2 x16 graphic card at the same time. you might wanna check passmark.com for benchmarking and value per performance.
overall its good so far and no issues.

edit: most of benchmarks and reviewers are saying the bulldozer series is a failure, and its very slow, the fact is the series is not slow, and on 1080p gaming in comparison its only behind by 6-8 fps from the i5 and the i7 2500k, comparing this to the total price for a motherboard, rams and graphic cards, I would rather waste the money difference on another high end graphic card and run it in crossfire.

the point am trying to make is that a merly of less than 10fps in games is not considered a failure giving the performance/value ratio, its a very solid buy.

picking up and intel based 2011 79x chipset system and you will end up paying 300 - 400$ more in total, for about 10fps faster in games, thats not really a bargain giving that the 990fx and am3+ is newer and still has a lot of upgradeablity potential which means it will last you longer since the upcoming piledrive are also am3+ based.

please note that this opinion is based from a budget system build point of view, if your serious about building the fastest and strongest gaming reg then simply go with intel 2011 socket and an i7 3930x processor. that will cost you around 2000$ in total compared to amax of 800$ for an amd am3+ build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great processor great price, April 25, 2013
I bought this with my new gaming rig. I couldn't be happier. Six cores for $110! I was going to get an i5 which was 4 cores for $200. If your on a budget for gaming or just need a budget processor you should seriously consider this chip. Thank you for reading and hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's decent, April 3, 2013
I have had this awhile and so far no problems thought amd has made better cpus it's not expensive and so far i have had no issues my game run smooth and i don't lag as much as most with games like swtor or sl

Rate and Discover Movies