Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on November 25, 2012
I specifically picked up this CPU due to the 65W rating. I replaced the 3 year old Athlon II x3 45W chip that was in my server.
I use this box as a Plex server, samba server, and Folding@Home machine. After two failed Blu Ray encodes on my desktop that tied it up for close to 10 hours running at full load, I asked myself why I could not do this on the server. The answer was the x3.
While Bulldozer was a nightmare, AMD did the right thing and based the new A series APU's on the newer Piledriver architecture. I won't go into boot times, but handbreak is showing between 180fps and 220fps on DVD rips under Ubuntu/Kubuntu. That is on par with my Phenom II x6 1090T under windows 7. Blu Ray rips are at 8 to 13FPS, about 5 fewer on average when compared to the x6.
Looking at the how this compared to the x3 that was in this box before, well there is no comparison. I can now transcode in real time, folding times are 1/3 of what they had been, and it only increased overall power usage from 109W to 119W at the wall.
I was going to skip Piledriver, but after this CPU I think I will actually look at upgrading the desktop to an FX-8350.
on November 16, 2012
I ordered this for a new HTPC build to replace an older one with stability issues. The box arrived a bit beat up, which made me a little nervous, but the APU has run great. I used an aftermarket cooler because the stock ones are never that great and I needed something very silent. So far the only thing I've really done to remotely tax it is ripping a blu-ray and it did a full rip to MKV in about 1.5hrs. Blu-Ray playback through the onboard video works great as well. I think it's a very good choice for HTPC builds that don't need the raw power provided by the latest greatest Intel chips.

Here is my build:
AMD A10-5700 APU
ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Motherboard
(2)4gig Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 1600 RAM
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128gig SSD
ZALMAN CNPS8900 Extreme 110mm Ultra Quiet Slim CPU Cooler
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Burner
Rosewill Capstone-550-M Power Supply
33 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
I would recommend this APU if you are looking to build an HTPC capable of gaming (on a TV using Steam Big Picture) in a small case. It is perfect for that purpose.
I used this APU instead of the 5800K because of its 65W TDP, as heat is a huge concern in these small cases.

With this build I have a pretty quiet HTPC with very good performance, I can watch Blurays/DVDs and online streams (Netflix, MLB.tv, Youtube, etc) without any issues.
The GPU (Radeon HD 7660D) is very decent for an integrated GPU, it may not be powerful enough for 1080p gaming at high detail, but I play recent games like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Rayman Origins, Dishonored and others at 720p. I do have to tune down some visual settings to completely avoid slowdowns, but IMHO the games even then look better than on the XBox 360. And I get to play with and XBox controller from the couch, thanks to Steam Big Pig Picture!
To give you some idea of performance, it scored P1527 on the 3dMark11 performance suite using the latest (13.4 at the time of this review) catalyst drivers, and 6.8 on the Graphics and "Gaming graphics" component of WEI.

Build details:
AMD A10 5700 APU
MSI Socket FM2, AMD A75, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, 1 PCI-E x16, Mini ITX Motherboard FM2-A75IA-E53
Kingston HyperX Beast 8 GB Kit (2x4 GB) 1866MHz DDR3 PC3-15000 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP Desktop Memory KHX18C9T3K2/8X
Slim Bluray drive
750GB 2.5" HDD
2x Noctua NF-R8 80mm Fan (31 CFM)
SilverStone NT07-AM2
Antec ISK 300-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case 150 Watt Power Supply
on March 18, 2013
This is really impressive to me- This A10 series is taking integrated graphics to a new level.

With just this APU & no graphics card, I'm able to do everything I need to do with a computer, and then watch HD Blu-ray discs, and play Super Street Fighter IV AE at default settings, with no visible performance hits in any of these situations. And I still have the option of adding an HD 6670 graphics card for Dual Graphics, or even a more powerful, discrete PCI-E card. There is a memory speed limit: it can't run at 2133 MHz memory. It tops out at around 1866 MHz memory, with some enthusiasts reportedly tweaking their systems for slightly faster memory speeds. I'm actually using 2133 memory, but it's running at 1866 speed. I'd get the popular A10-5800K which handles higher memory speeds with ease, but my current slim-case computer uses a Micro-ATX power supply, so power consumption is a real issue for me. Whichever A10-series APU people prefer, AMD has a hit on their hands. Generally speaking today: Intel wins with processor speeds; AMD wins with integrated graphics.

My current system...
- A10-5700 processor
Kingston HyperX 10th Anniversary (4x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz Memory
Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H AMD Socket FM2 Micro ATX Motherboard
Xion 4-in-1 mATX/ITX Slim Desktop Case Combo Kit, White (XON-910PCB-WT)
BenQ VW2430H 24-Inch LED-Lit PC/Mac Compatible Monitor (Brilliant White)
on April 11, 2013
I ordered this on a gamble and it ended up working wonderfully. On HP's website they state that the model of AllInOne I purchased only goes up to an A8. This CPU along with the Zalman CNPS 8900 Extreme heatsink produces high frame rates in MassEffect 3 and DeadSpace 2 on max settings at 1080P. I had to cut a hole into the back plastic of the All in One to get the 60MM cooler to fit, but the performance out weighs the ugliness on the back. Lol

The HP All in One I ordered is from BestBuy and the model is 23-b034. The link below is for the exact one I bought. It was on sale for $600 and plus another $150 for the CPU/heatsink has created an amazing, energy efficient (~20 watts), light gaming computer with a 23inch 1080P screen. Ignore HP's upgrade information on their website because the A10-5700 has been working great with low temps (About 20-30C) for over a month now.

[...]
on February 3, 2013
Overall it had all of the key items I was looking for in a processor. Good graphics mixed with a quad core processor all in one design. The lower power requirements of a media center rig made this my number one pick for the money. I would go next time with the 5800 and just down clock it if I had to do it again.. Still a great processor for the money.
on June 6, 2013
Really surprised at the graphical capabilities. I used it to make a light gaming rig for my daughter. It has handle everything I've thrown at it including 3D games at low to moderate settings. Runs HD video with no problems. Was also surprised it's rated at 65w. I was able to buy a lower wattage, higher quality power supply for the rig.
on February 5, 2013
I purchased this processor because of its perfect price, performance, and efficiency. I wanted a low energy consumption processor to power a home server running several virtual machines. Right now, the processor is running 8 virtual machines without running into any performance issues.
on July 16, 2013
Very quick CPU, runs very cool (with CM Hyper 212 cooler it idles around 35F according to CoreTemp), also very power efficient. Would recommend for a multi-purpose desktop build or even a small efficient home server.
on October 13, 2013
Used this for a cheap builds for my parents. was really surprised by the performance. Ran some older games (dead space 2) and maxed out and running smooth. Win 7 butter smooth with it.

See 1 answered question