5.0 out of 5 stars Best Budget Gaming Processor!
Published on October 9, 2012 by Jason Kang

3.0 out of 5 stars hot, hot, hot ,hot and hot, hot, hot can you say hot
I've used a few of these in my budget media center pc's and this is the first one out of the other 3 that kept overheating. I'm using this at stock speed with the cheap AMD stock cooler. The temps just kept going up. I guess 3 was all the luck I had. If you Google it you'll find the same thing. The funny part is the other 3 do run hot but stop at about 55-60 degrees at...
Published 10 months ago by Michael J.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Budget Gaming Processor!, October 9, 2012
This review is from: AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX (Personal Computers)
Friends, there are MANY reviews out there that cover the 'technical' aspects of this product (you'll see words like 'piledriver', '32nm', 'trinity', and 'HSA' thrown around, but who cares?) and LOTS of misinformation from people who won't put their mouth where their money is - you gotta try it before u knock on it first right? Yours truly bought it when available on day 1 (from Newegg, Amazon was 'out of stock') after following the news about it for a year. There's no such thing as a bad product, just bad prices right?

As a smart, savvy shopper (which you all are), you know you've got to compare apples to apples, especially when it comes to electronics. So what do we need to compare this to? The intel core i3-3225, ivy-bridge processor, which retails for about $130 at MicroCenter (the LOWEST price you will find this chip anywhere). Why not the bazillion other 'i3' processors floating around out there you ask? Because only the i3-3225 has the HD4000 integrated graphics baked in, which will give you the most graphic horsepower of the 'i3' lot. That being said, the A10-5800K is its direct competitor; it likewise has the strongest integrated graphics of the AMD side of these new 'fusion' chips. So why does this matter? Because if you want to play computer games on a budget, these are the chips you're going to want to look at. When I say budget, how much of a budget are we talking? I'm talking a $600 budget on EVERYTHING that goes into building a new computer, short of the monitor itself. I even got some premium hardware like a 128 SSD, a good Seasonic power supply, strong 1866 RAM, and barely broke $600. For the truly awesome bargain hunters, I have no doubt you could do this under $500.

If you want to play the latest and greatest games on 'HIGH' settings which will give you lots of eye-candy with all the highest details turned on at 1920x1200 (big 24-in. display) resolution, STOP reading this review. In this price-range, we're not 'into' paying hundreds of dollars for better looking graphics on the screen (and gobs of money to buy equipment to cool down the high temps too!), but if you are, you already KNOW you're not seriously thinking of buying either an i3 or the A10. Google 'confirmation bias' if you're still in denial about that.

If you want to play the latest and greatest games on 'LOW' to 'MEDIUM' settings which will give you some eye-candy with some details turned on at 1366x768 ('default' low resolution), KEEP READING. After combing through more forums than i can count reading hundreds of arguments where techie people who love intel or AMD feverishly shout and insult at each other over 'i3 versus A10' (these things stir strong passions!), here is the main takeaway about gaming with either the i3 or A10, which is the main selling point of both:

1. If you buy the i3, you MUST buy a separate graphics card to play most games comfortably (at least 30 frames per second). Look for graphics cards in the $70-$100 price range as these would fit the bill, as there are too many to list. Some notable nominees include the Nvidia 550, or Radeon 7750.

2. If you buy the A10, you do NOT need to buy a separate graphics card to play most games comfortably (again, 30 frames per second). You COULD buy another graphics card and add it on to enable 'dual graphics', but you would have to buy a Radeon 6670 to do that, and even then, not all games are going to benefit from it. That being said, you're still in 'budget' gaming territory, so this is an extra cost which in my opinion doesn't really deliver.

About CPU performance - Intel is better, and that's a fact. But in this day and age, the modern computer chip will be able to do what I spend about 99% of my time on the computer doing anyway: bothering people on facebook, e-mail, typing papers, watching youtube, burning a CD/DVD, and occasional gaming. If you are into the more exotic stuff (trans-coding files, running very powerful benchmarks/overclocking, high-end gaming) again, this is NOT the chip for you. Lots of mis-information out there, and there are people who will throw bar charts and graphs at each other to prove an obvious point, which is intel has more powerful CPUs, but ask yourself, 'what am I going to do on my computer?'. For me personally, I have no complaints with the A10's performance, based on how I use mine. If you are truly frustrated by your computer's performance, then buy a SSD (solid state drive) and replace your hard drive, you'll feel a HUGE difference. But hey, that's not really part of our discussion, just my opinion, so feel free to disagree.

So let's say your sold on it, and you're thinking how to get the most out of this chip, here are the KEY things to know about this chip:

1. Look for a 'FM2' motherboard, this is the main compatibility spec. There are three flavors of FM2 boards (from least to most expensive): A55, A75, and A85X. They all have different selling points, but once you dig into prices you'll know exactly which one you're going to want to get. AMD has committed to sticking with FM2 boards all the way until 2014, so don't worry about having to buy another motherboard if you want to upgrade down the road.

2. This chip EATS memory like no other: buy 2 sticks of 240-pin, 1866-mhz DRAM for optimal performance and stability. Anything less than 1866-mhz and you're short-changing yourself on performance. Anything more than 1866 and you're going to be dealing with overclocking and system stability issues, which gives diminishing returns all the way up to 2600-mhz.

3. This box comes with a 'stock' cooling fan for the chip. Yes it's crappy (most stock coolers are), but it gets the job done. Again, if you get into overclocking, this is NOT going to cut it...and, you're on your own!

4. You CAN overclock with this processor, but you will need to do a LOT of tweaking, and it will be expensive to do so and get marginal gains, so maybe you won't want to. But if you want to take this to its thermal limit, liquid cooling is a MUST. You'll also have to disable the 'turbo' cores, and tinker with AMD's overdrive utility to increase the voltage and multipliers. Chances are if you're in the budget gaming world, liquid cooling is probably not in your budget anyway. But the headroom is there.

At the end of the day, ask yourself 2 questions:

1. What am i going to use the computer for?
2. How much do i want to spend?

I wanted to do basic stuff on my computer, play some games I liked on low to medium settings comfortably, and stay under $600 with a well-rounded system. I didn't buy another graphics card to accomplish that, because with this chip, I didn't need to. And I didn't buy any extra cooling equipment, because of diminishing returns from overclocking, which I don't do. Do I have a bias towards AMD? Yes, with this chip, but that's because it fit my budget, it plays games reasonably well, and it does what i want it to well. AND if you REALLY want to save even more...wait until Christmas! AMD is very well known for dropping their prices on a dime, and bundling with extra components, which could drop your total price by about $40 or more.

That being said, you will NOT find a more well-rounded system on a chip that will go into a desktop than this one on a budget.

Happy bargain hunting folks!

EDIT 10/11/2012--------

For those of you are stuck in the trenches of budget gaming, but somehow find yourself with several hundred dollars more (or maybe you're just 'feeling' richer), here's a great article which pairs up the A10 and intel i5 with some high end current generation graphics cards and plays through some games on very high settings, to give some meaty comparisons. I won't spoil the takeaway, but trust me, you WILL want to look at this if you decide to splurge on another video card. I can't paste the link here, but google 'VRZone A10-5800k discrete' and it will be the first hit...

EDIT 2 10/18/2012-------

Just played through F1 2012, Counterstrike GO, and Battlefield 3 this past week. Performance feels smooth on my full-size 1900x1200 Dell U2412HM IPS monitor enabled with mostly medium graphics settings. Heed my words friends; save on the hardware, and go big moneys on the monitor, your eyes will thank you!

EDIT 3 11/9/2012-------
Dual graphics supports a graphics card up to the Radeon 6670 DDR3*. (If you're hoping to use 'dual graphics' with a GDDR5 graphics card, this will be supported on the next iteration, 'Richland' APU that supports 'Graphics Core Next' sometime next year in June-ish, most likely up to a 7750 HD). - *Thanks to your comments pointing out it wasn't a '6570' as I posted in my original review!

EDIT 4 1/25/2013------
I'm seeing conflicting reports from various tech journalists saying Richland will be some enhanced version of VLIW4, or Graphics Core Next. While this is murky and while I'm not sure what it all means, 'Kaveri' which will be released in 4Q12 will definitely have GCN, albeit with more robust graphics. More to come on this later, as Richland should be out in a matter of few months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff for a low-cost APU..., November 21, 2012
+'s: For Casual Gamers. Please Read
Rusty Hearts: 80-120 FPS (High)
Second Life: Varies, 20-90 FPS depending on environment (High)
Freejack Online: 60 FPS (High)
Tera Online: 20-50+ FPS (High, no shadows)
S4 League: 62 FPS (High)
IMVU: 30 FPS (lol)
Project Blackout: Over 60 FPS Easy (High)
Ragnarok Online: Over 60 FPS Easy (High)
Phantasy Star Online 2: 60+ (High)
Playstation Emulators: Runs flawlessly. Great FPS.
World of tanks: Over 60 fps
Left For dead 2: 80+ FPS (High)
Team Fortress 2: 80+ FPS (High)
Diablo 3, Final Fantasy 14, WoW, Final Fantasy 12, Perfect World International, Battlefield 3, Need for Speed Most Wanted: 2012, Guild Wars II, and Sleeping Dogs also run great on it at very playable fps at Medium-High (Mostly High!) Settings.

All this WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING.
All this on HIGH SETTINGS.
Played with a resolution of 1600X900
If you want a cpu+gpu that can handle your casual games and a few hardcore ones while on a 500$ Budget, GET THIS THING!!!!

-'s: NONE. You'll be fine with the stock cooler. You don't HAVE to upgrade it. You'll still get these settings right out of the box.

Other Crazy Thoughts From my Pal: I can never understand why people who are fans of other products try to sway people's decisions on purchasing a product by posting bad reviews on something they don't own. I built one of these for someone and it plays games nicely with no lag on mid-high settings, (ie; BF3-35 fps solid, SWTOR 50-60 fps just to name a few) and it definitely out performs a P-4 Mr. Chris and yes I am calling you out on your poor review with no statistical data to back up your claim.
The Intel 4000 chip set is not meant for gaming it's a redone 3000 with a prettier picture, while it is faster than its predecessor it is not superior to a built in gpu. I have built both Intel and AMD equivalents and they are both faster in their own ways, Intel blows up the benchmarks for sure AMD can't hold a candle to them. But in gaming situations the AMD is smoother if setup properly, most people have problems with AMD because they choose the wrong components (ie; motherboards, ram, etc.) but you learn based on trial and error. With Intel's in my experience its mostly cut and dry drop in and go. Bottom line both have their good and bad and it's all about competition if Intel didn't have a competitor like AMD they would not strive for a better product and you wouldn't have the high speeds we see from them competition drives innovation. If you thing this will be on par with an I7 you are mistaken it wasn't designed to be a gaming monster but for a casual gamer/web surfer that doesn't want to spend $1,000+ on a computer which makes up a majority of the economy. Trying to compare this to the I7 or even an AMD 8 core is like comparing it to an Xbox or PS3, it is a completely different animal. So please make your reviews responsibly because what you like/want may not be what someone else wants and worse may not work for their needs. Thank you and have a nice day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy on budget, Easy to overclock, December 23, 2012
I bought this processor to go with my 2nd pc build, the one for me this time and I have to say so far I am very impressed. I coupled this with a Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H motherboard, 16GB Corsair Vengeance memory, 650W PSU and all is humming along. I've personally overclocked the cpu side to 4200 Mhz and the gpu side to 1000 Mhz and everything is running smoothly. As you will read all over the internet, getting good temp readings on this APU with the stock heat sink is about impossible and buying a heat sink will be the next purchase for me. I think I can comfortably get this up to 4500 Mhz with a good heat sink and I've seen some reports up to 4900 but don't think I will push it that high.

I, of course, chose the AMD APU for of budget reasons, when you compare the price of this at 120 here on Amazon with the Intel processors at 220+ and add on the price of the motherboards its kinda hard to justify the extra cost for the performance increases you might see with the Intel products. I am not a huge computer gamer, most of my gaming is done on Xbox but the games I have tried have looked very good with the settings on high with no performance issues (Empire Total War, Company of Heroes Tales of Valor and Lego Lord of the Rings).

As I said this is only my 2nd computer build and it makes me very happy and very proud to see components I picked and prodded over for months come together and work. It's highly gratifying and I have to say if you are even thinking about it, go for it! You will be like me, sitting at it for hours just doing simple things to see it work. Both of my builds have used AMD processors and they seem to make things very easy, which is good for us beginners.

So, in short I highly recommend this processor and highly recommend you building your own, its fairly easy and very gratifying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent solution for gaming or performance configurations, November 11, 2012
SatinPond (Umatilla, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
I paired this with a MSI AMD A75 MicroATX DDR3 2133 370 Motherboards FM2-A75MA-E35 and AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 16GB (2X8GB) 1600MHz Kit DDR3 (PC3 12800) AE316G1601U2K and it runs Windows 8 Pro x64 fast and smooth. This setup is used as a gaming-rig and I can run most games on pretty high graphics settings nice and smooth without lag or slowdown. Things load fast and the OS starts up quick. I was surprised how fast this APU really is both in CPU and GPU performance. The drivers AMD puts out for it are also fast and rock solid. This is a world-class product and I have been truly impressed and pleasantly delighted by how much bang you get for your buck. I would buy this again if I was in need of another product of this type. I can wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love this thing, April 1, 2013
Paul Slayton (Dupo, Illinois) - See all my reviews
Used this for a budget build for my wife. After reading reviews from Intel fans, I was concerned that it would not perform well or that the price/performance would be low. However, that is not anywhere near the outcome.

On the processing side, it handles everything she does like a champ. She works a lot with Office related programs like Excel, Word, and Outlook, as well as doing everyday task like email and web browsing.

On the graphics side, however, I was expecting poor performance, but it performs great. Actually, it is better than my own PC I bought from HP a couple years back for like $1200. I can actually play SWTOR on this thing at the highest settings (bloom and AA off) at 1920x1080 resolution at a constant 30-40 fps. And if she needs more graphics power in the future, all she will have to get is a ATI 6670 for about $70 to get about an 80% performance increase with the dual graphics setup.

So overall, I love this processor and would recommend this to anyone looking to build a low-mid powered PC. After getting this processor at such a reasonable price, I think I am going to buy AMD chips from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bang-for-the-buck, February 26, 2013
I was looking for a cheap processor with decent enough graphics capability, and this fit the bill, being able to create a whole system featured around this chip for under $300. Reviews will abound about its middling CPU performance vs the latest Core i3 equivalent, and how it excels vs the built in graphics of any Intel chip, so I won't rehash that here.

In practical terms, the processor (and the whole system) are snappy and let me do anything that might be required for even medium work. Desktop CPUs of any class have broadly been fine for 90% of the tasks one could throw at them for years now, and this is no exception. For those interested parties, it WILL run Server 2012 and Hyper-V / Virtualization just fine, and it will allow Remote FX. CPU parking works fine. Server Manager will pick it up as 2 cores / 4 threads, but this is how AMD presents it to the OS to maximize utilization with their architecture -- it is actually 4 cores.

Temperatures are higher than the Intel equivalent using the stock cooler - the AMD stock coolers have been, and clearly continue to be, less versatile than their Intel equivalents. Temperatures under load hover around 55C for me, YMMV based on case and airflow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bang-for-Buck, March 30, 2013
I did much research to create a budget PC build. After reading forums, watching youtube videos etc, I finally decided to go with this AMD A10-5800k APU. This APU is highly capable. I mostly use my new build for web browsing, excel, word, light gaming, and some video/photo processing. It is MORE THAN CAPABLE to perform all these duties. It runs Starcraft 2 on 1920x1080 on all High Settings with no issues whatsoever! I went with an aftermarket cooler because I may overclock it later on.

Below are my components:

DVD-RW:ASUS DVD-RW

Heatsink: Coolermaster 212 Evo
Wireless: Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI Wireless Adapter
Monitor: ASUS 23" VS Series VS238H-P

The computer has been running pretty much non-stop for a week now (built on 03/22/2013) with no issues whatsoever.

In my opinion, the bang-for-buck on the unit is STELLAR. For 99% of people, you do not need a high-end, expensive PC with features that most programs won't even utilize to its potential. If you are looking for a capable unit on a budget, and do light gaming, GET THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars budget gaming? you've come to the right place, April 5, 2013
this apu is great. for the price tag, all I had to do was buy a complementing MSI motherboard which cost me $60 and I was set. I used a tower from one of my old pcs and for less then 200 dollars I had a brand new computer. Plus, it can play league of legends on high which for the price is extraordinary (though I understand it is not a graphics intensive game). I couldn't be happier with this apu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 16, 2013
I used this processor as part of my new workstation build. I paired it up with an inexpensive motherboard, 16GB of memory, and an SSD. This thing flies. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, March 12, 2013
This cpu is very good and I highly recommend this to any budget builder. The packaging was horrible and I thought it was going to be DOA, but it worked fine. Very fast and for the budget, beats any intel i3 you throw at it. Just one down side is that it's socket FM2 so you can't really future-proof your machine for the 8-cores, but its probably the best bang for your buck!!

AMD A10-5800K APU 3.8Ghz Processor AD580KWOHJBOX