5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Selection for HTPC Applications
Combined with a Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H motherboard, 16 GB (4x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaw X 1866 DDR3 RAM, and an ASUS HD 6670 video card (Hybrid CrossfireX Dual Graphics); no problems for anyone building a decent $500-$1000 moderate-performance build depending on add-ons. Great for a HTPC (my implementation).

Don't expect miracles - this is a very capable APU using...
Published on August 12, 2011 by PQ

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy an AMD FM2 processor.
I would have given this a 5 when I bought it back in 2012. However, This is a socket FM1 chip and there are many AMD socket FM2 chips with better specs in the same price range. Also by choosing an FM2 socket processor you can get a much larger selection of mother boards and better performance for the same price.
Published 4 days ago by FrankE9999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Selection for HTPC Applications, August 12, 2011
This review is from: AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor (AD3850WNGXBOX) (Personal Computers)

Don't expect miracles - this is a very capable APU using the new AMD F1 socket (be careful installing the APU...lots of tiny pins), and competes well with i3 or i5 processors. I tested it with CrossfireX enabled and disabled, and definitely recommend adding the extra HD 6670, 6570, or 6450 graphics card. Under normal use, you would never know the difference - using HD 3D or intense graphics demands, and the integrated HD 6650 gets stressed when working alone. For an AMD product, this is one of the best yet. Being a usual Intel fan, it was difficult to to steer away from my comfort zone. However, the cost-savings to acceptable performance index was the factor that influenced my purchase. This product line is for you, budget-builders!

The Windows Experience Index is 6.7 out of 7.9 for this build (Processor 7.3, Memory 7.6, Graphics and Gaming Graphics 6.7). I pulled my good hard drives out and put WD Caviar Blue 6.0 Gb/s drives in for a cool and quiet HTPC, unfortunately reducing the overall index to 5.9 (just the hard drives). That is right, the hard drives will hold you back...

Bottom-line: Great processing power, Excellent 3D capable 1080p graphics (both Blu-ray or HD streaming) built-in with full DirectX 11 support. I suggest taking advantage of the Hybrid CrossfireX Dual Graphics capability. Most HTPC builds will not require a discrete graphics card addition, however. The average user will be impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice CPU..., September 29, 2011
The AMD A8-3850 APU Quad-Core Processor with the Gigabyte A75M-UD2H is a very nice combo for a home theater system. The positive about this setup is the ability to have fast CPU and a med range graphics card without having the additional heat and airflow issues.

Windows 7 Performance Information: Processor 7.3, Memory 7.4, Graphics 5.9, Gaming Graphics 6.6, HD 7.6.

Notes:
-- When the system boots it sees my 8GB's ram. It takes .5 of that and gives it to the video processor leaving only 7.5 for the OS. Not a big problem, just something to note.
-- Media center works great (specs below). I use XBMC and WMC witching live TV, streamed MKV, MPEG2, MPEG4 and other audio video files.

My system build (works great)(Photo's included)
-- SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B (Black)
-- Gigabyte AMD GA-A75M-UD2H (rev 1.0) Mother board
-- AMD A8-3850 APU with AMD Radeon 6550 HD Graphics 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core
-- Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800)
-- OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive
-- Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB SATA III Hard Drive - WD20EARX
-- Pioneer Internal 12x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-206DBK
-- AmuletDevices remote control and IR Receiver
-- Antec (Neo HE650)(NeoPower 650) 650 Watt Power Supply
-- IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball

5.0 out of 5 stars Built a great HTPC with this, September 9, 2011
Used this with the Gigabyte A75M-UD2H and built a great HTPC. I like the idea of not having to have any more things with fans that needed. I tried using one of the AMD E350 based systems 1st but Netflix would max out the CPU. With this CPU I only run 10 - 20% doing Netflix from inside Media Center on Windows 7 - 64 bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Processor, Excellent Price, October 30, 2011
I bought one of these for my very first computer build, something I have wanted to do for a very long time but just finally got around to doing it. While I wanted to put together a system that would perform I also had to be money conscious. I love Intel's processors but because of the price I decided to give AMD a try. I paired this with a Gigabyte a75m-ud2h motherboard and it works great. I built this for my sister and the most intensive use for it is Sims 3 so the on chip 6550 graphics were plenty, I did set the bios to dedicate 1024 of the system memory for graphics but really thats the only tweaking I did.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the WEI I get, my lowest score was a 5.9 for the Windows Aero stuff but all other scores were 6.6 and higher. Like I said I am new at this and since it didnt need much tweaking for the use it is getting I didnt try to crank the bios too much.

Lots of people on here do this all the time and will be able to give better more in depth information but I can tell you as a noob that using this processor with a good Gigabyte motherboard makes the process very easy. Next up, something a little more challenging, a gaming system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CPU, October 13, 2011
SPG (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This is a great CPU. I put it in a build for my parents, who needed a basic build under $400. It's not the greatest if you plan on doing lots of video editing, lots of gaming, etc.

It handles 1080p videos without a hitch with the integrated graphics. Much better than Intel offerings in terms of integrated graphics. Low power consumption.

Sub-$400 build it was put in:

AMD A8-3850 APU
BIOSTAR TA75M Motherboard
4GB (2x2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 RAM
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard drive
380W Antec Earthwatts PSU
Rosewill R101-P-BK Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Value, October 6, 2011
This chip is outstanding. I paired it with a Gigabyte A75M-UD2H and it fired-up problem free. You will not find a better chip for the cost!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic desktop processor for multimedia and gaming, November 20, 2011
Jerry Jackson Jr. (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I had my doubts about the new A-series "Accelerated Processing Units" from AMD. These new processors combine a traditional central processing unit (CPU) and discrete graphics processing unit (GPU) on a single chip. After testing an A-series gaming rig built by someone else, my fears were gone.

The AMD A8-3850 has plenty of traditional CPU power for the MAJORITY of PC users. I was pleased to discover the A8-3850 at default clock speed is actually faster in real-world tasks than the overclocked Intel Q9400 Core 2 Quad CPU in my main desktop. Of course, the main reason to love the A-series processors is the built-in discrete graphics. The AMD Radeon HD 6550D is more than powerful enough to handle 1080p video playback and even some serious gaming. Of course, "serious" gamers will still want to add a separate discrete graphics card, but thanks to AMD's latest Crossfire technology, the built-in discrete GPU can work together with a second discrete GPU and COMBINE resources to deliver greater performance than either GPU would by itself.

This makes the A-series a great solution for HTPC and gaming systems because you can just use the built-in GPU most of the time and switch to the combined "dual graphics" mode when you want to play a serious game at high settings with great frame rates.

I made a custom HTPC and gaming rig by installing this A8-3850 APU on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H motherboard with 8GB (4GB x 2) of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 RAM, a Sapphire AMD Radeon 6850 1GB graphics card, two 1TB hard drives, and a 500W power supply in a Cooler Master Elite 360 HTPC case. Those components barely fit, but it makes a powerful gaming and home theater PC that fits in a small space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Integrated graphics are finally worthwhile, October 31, 2011
For anyone looking to build a budget gaming PC, this processor is a solid option. Out of the box, this processor is capable of running most current games on low settings. If you require more graphical power, the processor allows you to run select low-end discrete graphic cards in tandem with the onboard graphics (Hybrid Crossfire), boosting the overall performance of both. For instance, I am currently running crossfire with a XFX Radeon HD 6670, which allows me to run recent games in medium settings--some even in high! If you're looking for even more GPU power beyond that, you can always use a mid-grade or high-end GPU without crossfire. While this is wasting the Fusion technology, you will get significantly higher performance gains nonetheless.

Out of box, these are clocked at 2.9 Ghz. I managed to overclock it to 3.4 Ghz by raising the FSB to 117, which only required a .1 boost in voltage to run stable. Keep in mind this is with the stock processor fan and heatsink. With proper cooling, I'm positive faster processing speeds can be reached. Overall, I recommend this processor to anyone who is looking for a budget gaming PC, or even a simple all-in-one home media center. Just remember that this processor won't perform any miracles; however, it will certainly fit almost any budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD A8, October 2, 2011
I have purchased 3 of the processors to use in different builds and they all have done well. The crossfire setup was a breeze. The installed 6670 runs as a 7785 in crossfire mode. Will likely use again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has the power I need., November 26, 2012
Bought this board to update the machine that I use as my home media server. I coupled this with an ASUS F1A55-M/CSM motherboard and it does all that I ask. The most work it gets besides sharing files is running Plex media server. While running Plex, it has transcoded all of my videos with ease and I have had no hiccups while playing the videos on various devices.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›