5.0 out of 5 stars ...and this is the "cheaper" processor!?
Although some people have overclocked this CPU, for my budget media PC build, 3.0 GHz serves me just fine, especially on each core. All I can say if "wow"! I was a bit upset that my budget at the time did not allow for the Phenom IIx6 that I wanted to get, but seeing this in action I can say that I am not disappointed.

Sure it may be 75-85% of the Intel, but my...
Published on March 7, 2011 by Firefly

3.0 out of 5 stars defective
it is defective and i returned it. did not want to wait another week so i went to frys and paid more to finish my project. the other one works fine for a 2 core unit. not what i would use but i was building a computer for the neighbor using some spare parts i had. and considering i am just giving it to him i am not about to spend some big bucks. when he can afford it he...
Published on August 2, 2011 by DAVID A CAVALLARO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and this is the "cheaper" processor!?, March 7, 2011
This review is from: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor (ADX250OCGMBOX) (Personal Computers)

Sure it may be 75-85% of the Intel, but my real-world usage says to me that for the price, I made the right choice. Every PC I've owned except one has had an AMD at the heart. I've yet to be let down...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, May 15, 2011
This was exactly what i was looking for. Perfect Timing by amazon. Excelent Product id recommend put it together with an ASUS Motherboard they are just amazing too.

Sincerely,
Erdwing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Processor!, February 2, 2011
This processor is absolutely great for the price! My computer is much faster and snappier, and for the the price, you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD PROCESSOR ON A BUDGET, September 16, 2011
I purchased this in order to upgrade my wife's aging & ailing PC which started out with a power supply replacement when the old one died but I found out after installing what I thought was the exact replacement (from Amazon by the way), that it wouldn't communicate with the older motherboard as it was a "switching" power supply that had separate 12v power for the newer multi-core processors. This pushed me in the direction of either buying a brand new PC (expensive proposition) or retro fitting her old case and since I already had the PS as well as a good HD and Optical Drive I decided to go for the upgrade. After a little research I found this processor from AMD and along with an inexpensive compatible MB from Asus - (ASUS Socket AM3/AMD 760G/A&V&GbE/Micro ATX Motherboard s M4A78LT-M) - and some new memory - (Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Kit (PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX) - she now has a very speedy low-budget system that meets her computing needs. Being a computer tech the installation was fairly quick and easy especially compared to configurations of old where jumpers had to be set correctly as well as clock speeds but anyone who can read with understanding and takes their time should be able to install this AM3 compatible processor. While the processor has embedded technology to overclock using the MB Setup I elected to leave it at the default setting thereby keeping heat at a minimum and increasing longevity. All in all I was able to upgrade the computer to current requirements for most standard users at a fraction of the cost of a new equvalent pre-built system. It has since been humming along running Windows XP Pro SP3 fully loaded with all sorts of productivity & utility software and hasn't looked back since. It's also quite fast for standard web-intensive tasks across high bandwith networks (and the Internet) using a broadband connection. However, I wouldn't expect this to satisfy any serious gamers or videographers out there but then again that's not the market for which it's intended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as always AMD, October 1, 2011
If you need a good processor, but don't want to drop a lot of cash on really expensive one, then this is a good solution. It's a dual core, but it's a 3Ghz so it's up there with the expensive ones in terms of power per core. Keep in mind most apps (and games) cannot use more than 2 cores at once. I also like that this CPU is rated at 65W since it is going in a server that will be on 24/7.

I'm currently using this in a server running VMware ESXi 5. It's a server that runs multiple virtual machines at once. So far it has not had any issues with about 3 VMs running at the same time. Of course I am not really pushing the server, so if you were planning a similar setup and wanted to run many VMs a quad core might be in order. Anyway, my point is this thing runs fine running ESXi, so for simple desktop use it should be way more than fine for most people.

At the price Amazon has it at you would be hard pressed to find better.

Compared to similar Celeron/Pentium Dual Cores (Wolfdale series) you get more Mhz per dollar and this chip has a 2MB L2 cache compared to the 1MB L2 cache on some of the Intels.

For those who are wondering: it seems that this chip is made from an actual dual core process (i.e. it's not a quad core with 2 cores disabled) and thus more cores cannot be unlocked. Mine would not unlock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Performance is almost as good as my e8400, July 24, 2011
I know the e8400 is faster ,but honestly when I play games I don't see much of a difference. For everyday task it does its job well. I like the price and performance . My first pc was Intel then I switched to AMD all of AMD processors have been good to me. No need to overclock this processor its fast enough. Play almost any game without any trouble. I recommend you buy ddr3 memory to go with the processor it makes a world of difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go AMD, May 21, 2012
I used this processor to build a PC for my wife. It is working just fine with no trouble at all and seems to be even faster than the Intel processor in my main work computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, October 28, 2011
the best processor. it works great and really good too when i play games so if you are building a computer and want to start somewhere go for it with the price u cant beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Athlon II processor, June 21, 2011
Excellent item (I have purchased AMD whenever possible since 1990) and meets my needs for this application.
Very happy with expeditious service

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent CPU for price!, June 26, 2012
This is a pretty decent CPU for the price of a NEW one that comes with the heatsink and cooling fan. Perfect for the inexpensive system that I have built for my little girl. Easy to install and runs great at 3GHZ. I would recommend this CPU to anyone!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor (ADX250OCGMBOX)
Used & New from: $29.90