Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

on October 10, 2006
I can't believe that last year this very same processor sold for around $1,000.00! Using a MSI motherboard, I had to update the BIOS with a new version to support the dual-core processor. Pulled my old processor out and plugged this one in with no problems - Windows XP SP2 recognized it immediatly and installed all necessary support software automatically. After the restart, it easly smoked my previous 3200 2GHz Venice core and loaded Adobe Photoshop CS2 so fast I stared at it for 10 seconds before I realized it was already open and ready to work.

Will be looking to overclock it soon! Excellent processor for the price - highly recommended.
on August 25, 2006
Since AMD slashed prices on their entire line of CPU's to compete with Intel's new Conroe's, these X2 line of processors have become a great buy for the money. The 4800+ continues to amaze me. It takes a conscience effort to slow this thing down. I load up multiple programs and do some serious multi-tasking and this CPU doesn't even pause. Only while running Windows Update on a WinXp X64 VMWare machine at the same time I was doing several other things did the CPU slow down a bit and I had to wait a few seconds. Thats incredible. Grab up this proc while you can. AMD is discontinueing all exept one of the CPU's with the dual 1MB L2 cache. I believe only keeping the FX-62's. The rest will just be the 512kb L2 cache. You wont regret this CPU... even though it is a socket 939.
on January 9, 2007
I have had this processor for about a month and a half now and am very happy with it. This chip combined with 2GB of ram plus an ATI x1900xtx has allowed me to run anything I can throw at it. Rainbow Six: Vegas and Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter both run with the settings at the max with no problem. I haven't tried any other really system intensive games yet, but I can't imagine having any problems.
on December 4, 2006
I am a diehard Intel fan/user and for me to even think about AMD was unheard of. Also being a Network Engineer, I'm not newb to the IT/Computer world. Anyone that has been into the computer field since 1990+ knows AMD/Cyrix have made nothing but junk. If the cpu fan died, the cpu died seconds or minutes later. Intels would just keep chugging along for hours/days/weeks.

Not until recently has my opinion changed on AMD when I saw the massive improvements they have done to the core voltage, and efficiency of their products. I've had this machine now running non stop (It's a server) and there has been NO issues whatsoever.
on February 19, 2007
DONT buy from here, it is no where NEAR this price anymore, i bought mine for about 230 bucks off of a different website.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2010
My son's 25th b-day was today. I haven't seen him this excited since his bike way back when. He knows how to handle this thing, so if you're not that familiar with them, be careful. You can easily destroy them with static electricity.
on May 11, 2015
Im running a fairly old system that still unfortunately uses Socket 939. I was extremely happy when I found this used processor as it's the fastest that my Motherboard can handle, but also it pushes me into a Multi-cored processor.

I was a little weary buying it used, but when it arrived it was in box with foam padding on the interior, which the processor was sitting on. Then box was in anti static bag that was vacuum sealed. It also came with a bit of generic thermal paste.

The processor has been running continuously for about a month now, and I haven't had any major issues.

One thing to note is that this processor runs a bit hot, I don't recommend using the stock cooler with it. I ended up purchasing a low profile heavy duty cooler and it has dropped 20 degrees. Original temps: Core 0: 54, Core 1: 56. With the new cooler: Core 0: 32, Core 1: 35. I also added artic silvers Cermaique paste, which has helped with thermal transfer.

If you are running an older board and have been wanting to upgrade the processor in it, then I would recommend ending your search right now. This is probably the best deal on the market.
on November 23, 2013
I got this along with an asus system board at a lower cost on ebay and 60 of these boards with the processor were sold and pulled out of unused machines. The tech they had helped me set up the board for free over the phone. [...]

They sell the board, processor, cpu fan, heat sink and the back plate.
on September 11, 2013
I have an ancient motherboard, GA-K8N Pro SLI has worked well over the years. At the time, I could not have bought a powerful processor for lack of funds, and even now I have chance to buy cheaply is a good and powerful processor for my old motherboard.
on September 2, 2012
I purchased this Processor in September 2012, in Refurbished condition For 30.00 + Tax. i have an H.P. Pavilion a1310n P.C. from 2006, that i just pulled off a shelf. and i laughed when i fired it up and realized it was a single Core... this processor was available as an upgrade from H.P. for the stock ASUS A8AE-LE motherboard (the HP/Compaq "in house" designation is: Amberine M-GL6E) and I researched the motherboard specifications, just to be sure that it is compatible. and the upgrade is a Definite, although modest improvement over the Single core Athlon 64 4000+ that I replaced.
I would say that if you really like your old machine, and the (as of 09/16/2013) 99.00 price is acceptable to you, then go ahead and upgrade,...
BUT !- keep in mind that (as of 09/16/2013) Amazon can sell you the "MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) AM3+ AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard" which has HDMI on-board video, and Hyper-Transport 3.0(for 63.00) and a compatible CPU- "AMD Athlon II X2 270 Regor 3.4 GHz 2x1 MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor" (for 59.00) and 4GB of compatible Memory- "Kingston HyperX black 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 (KHX13C9B1B/4)" (for 35.00)...... and That might be the better upgrade ? (just sayin' !)