5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!
Published 23 months ago by norE

3.0 out of 5 stars Great value and processor, not so good the noisy fan cooler.
It's a great processor with amazing performance, but for some reason the fan cooler is noisy, which makes me asume that it won't last more than a year at which point I'll have to replace it. Usually OEM bundled fan coolers are fine for normal use, this is note the case.
Published 9 months ago by Santiago Sisto

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, December 23, 2012
This review is from: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition (Personal Computers)
Reasons why I bought it: This is the latest version of processor from AMD codenamed Vishera. It has new microarchitecture, which basically uses 32nm meaning it consumes less power than previous generation, and this is the best-bang-for-your-buck product compared to intel's processors. Also, it just works and paired with AMD's improvements (just read the product detail if you want to know more) made it quite tempting to buy on sale. In addition, I found no need to use an aftermarket cooler or a liquid cooler SO FAR lol, cooler provided by amd has no problems with overheating even on games maxed like gw2, sc2, sleeping dogs. I believe the max temperature for AMD FX series is about 60-65 degrees C, and mine is maxing at 35C. So, I think I'm good. Also, I want to point out that all Visheras are unlocked, which I believe means you can overclock it as high as you want if there's no heating problems.

Package contains:
1) 1 processor (obviously)
2) 1 cpu fan (silent, blows air downward with gaps/fins in all 4 directions for heat to leave in all sides) with thermal paste already on it
3) 1 sticker
4) 1 small guide/information packet

Requirements:
1) Make sure you have a mother board that supports fx processors, usually it'll be "AM3+ mother board"

Comparisons:
1) Even though AMD's line of processors can't beat intel's higher end i7, I think the price for Visheras really makes it quite worth the money, but this can compete with intel's i5.

2)Comparing FX-6200 vs FX-6300: Both are 6-core processors but the fx-6300 is newest model with 10-15% increase in performance.

Recommended to:
If your a gamer, I've read a lot that six core isn't really necessary for gaming as of today (maybe in the future), and 4 core is more than enough for most. But if your also a semi-heavy multi-tasker, novice video/photo editors on a budget, I think this processor is a good product to consider or if you want something better, and want to stick with AMD you could go all out and get an 8350 along with a liquid cooler.

I really want to comment on shipping even though it says your not suppose to, oh well Amazon can edit this out if they want. Everything arrived sooner than expected which was a good surprise, but I didn't know that it wasn't going to be packaged in a box to keep it safe, however, the cpu was unharmed,looked like it wasn't even touched. So if you're really worried about it getting damaged on the way, you can gift it so they'll put it in a nice safe box.

I am a type of person:
Gamer, novice video editor and computer builder

Will add more info, but loving it so far!

Computer specs:
Case: Antec three-hundred two
PSU: Rosewill Hive series 650w
Graphics card: Sapphire radeon 7870 ghz ed. oc
Ram: G.skill ripjaws X series 8gb
Wireless PCI-E: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe (NOT using anymore)
Powerline adapter: WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit 200Mbps - extend Internet to your HDTV
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD-FX 6300

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs great!, August 15, 2013
Haven't seen my son leave his room once he put it in his gaming machine, though. Starting to wonder what my son looks like. Wish I could give one to my boss at work and get the same effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular with hidden perks, March 23, 2013
My experience with this CPU has been a noticeable speed boost from my X4 975, and gives superior performance than my Intel i7-960, at *stock* speeds. I haven't OC'ed it except to see whether it was made with OCing in mind. At 4.1 GHz this chip stays cool enough you can get by without having to buy anything gigantic or expensive. Watching a full HD movie on VLC with 10+ tabs open in firefox, chatting on skype+IRC *and* a temp monitor running... this thing hasn't gone above 56% with most cores underclocked via the auto-power-saving features.

The important info follows: *it assumes the buyer is basing their choice on what has the muscle to run their taxing apps, and that the other options being considered are other choices in the same line (though most of this applies when deciding between an i5 and this cpu)*

1. Good single core performance. Articles bothering to measure this are rare, but the FX-6300 actually *outperforms* the more expensive 8-core models in running tasks dependent on individual core performance rather than the number of cores.

I'll cut to the practical info to take from that: multimedia-oriented programs will benefit from more cores (so graphic artists would want more cores) and to a lesser extent, gaming will benefit from greater single-core performance.

*Nobody* mentions this fact, and honestly I'm writing this review primarily to get that information out there, since the default logic would be that if anything the 6 core is definitely inferior to the 4 cores, or that the 8 cores would be faster in every way bar none.

Also, if you're just browsing, checking email and watching youtube and skyping etc... don't worry! 6-cores and the stock 3.5Ghz speed is already way overkill :)

2: When you are weighing how much money to invest in your CPU, the only price/performance comparisons are vs intel's products. This is superior to the 4-core Vishera's hands down. For another $20 or even $10 you get 50% more cores and cache that'll handle your games just as well.

Spending another 40-50 dollars for a 8350 or 8320 is either a no brainer upgrade or a complete waste of money depending on your needs. New sockets or redesigned architecture will make the FX line in general obsolete before you start being thankful you splurged for that extra power back when the difference wasn't noticeable. Eg: Not the right component to upgrade for "future proofing".

Put simply; Even everyday users will benefit from an upgrade from the 4-core to 6-core at very little expense for the higher performance, and 6 cores @ the easily OCed 3.5GHz is still ample for intensive desktop use. Even some intensive-program users won't see an improvement worth even $30 more for the upgrade to 8 cores.

Basically, 6 cores is in the "able to handle whatever you're going to throw at it" category, whereas 8 cores is in the "Unless you run a FPS in windowed mode while transcoding a video, you'll probably never utilize the extra performance you dropped cash on, and it'll likely be a matter of speediness rather than true increased capability when it is utilized"

3: Everything out there is requiring less and less power. Not even enthusiasts need 1000 watt PSU's anymore The difference between 125 vs 95 watts TDP may mean a better GPU, more OCing room or just less PSU wear out. Use an online power estimater and you might find the extra 30 watts means letting you use a better GPU or spending less on a PSU! Don't overlook the potential advantages your complete build might have by needing less power than the rest of the piledrivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD finally got it right, March 5, 2013
When the FX series first came out, it wasn't what AMD fans had expected. The bulldozer architecture had many shortcomings. When these first came out, I bought the FX 6100 processor. After about a week of trying to like it, I sent it back and put my Phenom II x6 1055t back in. Many people insisted that it was my motherboard and ram that were the real problem, but I upgraded both (990 board/1866Mhz ram). So when these new piledriver processors rolled out, I decided to give it another go. This FX 6300 exceeded what I expected. It handles single threaded applications much better and does everything much better. All my games had a framerate increase of 10-15fps over my old Phenom II. I am very happy with this chip and how easily it overclocks. Just get a good cooling unit before trying to overclock and you should be good.

Edit: I was never using the stock heatsink/fan with this chip, I am using the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 with arctic silver 5 thermal paste and I have never had temperatures over 40 celsius even when doing 6 core video encoding at full cpu load and overclocked to 4.4ghz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for the price., July 3, 2013
I'm a research nut and if money is not an issue then technically Intel is more powerful, but in terms of value (price/performance) AMD FX series sky rockets out to 1st place. Just make sure you get a model with vishera technology (6300 is vishera).

5.0 out of 5 stars Beast. Epic Price. Why buy anything else?, August 17, 2013
For just over a year I've had a pc with a quad core 2.6 GHz amd. It was sufficient. I could run it with an msi 6000 gpu and play most modern games in 720-1080p with acceptable frame rates, and watch HD videos without stuttering. But I wanted something more; I needed something that could handle editing and more work. Definitely worth the money. I think I payed less for the new one than the old one. Coupled with a new msi 7770, the FX-6300 has been stellar. The only things it has a hard time doing (which I found reasonable) is working in full HD with Fraps recording, a drag on any system, and playing something like Hitman Absolution on Ultra graphical settings, which would wreck havoc on even an i7 and a better gpu, I'm sure. So far temps have stayed below 40C sometimes idling at 19C, People always say stock fans are junk, I think they just don't build their PCs with proper airflow. I've had no problems, but I'll really get pressing on it once I've updated my BIOS (had to buy a usb flash, derp). Will definitely write an edit in the future about further performance.

*Update _December 2013
After about 4 months of use, I'm very satisfied with my amd fx 6300. Still using a stock fan and a case with great airflow, I never see temperatures above 55C with extensive use (2+ hours)overclocked at 3.9 GHz and 1.275 volts. However, I have never been able to get up to 4.0 GHz without losing stability. I'm not sure if this is a MoBo issue, or simple cpu architecture. Can run most games, programs, etc. without any lag, no crashing issues, no problems at all. Windows 8 is smooth, games from Battlefield 3 down to Minecraft run fast and beautiful, and hours of program, web browsing, and every other pc activity has been fantastic having integrated the fx into my rig. I love this processor.

That said, I'm a bit reserved recommending this to hardcore pc users. It's worked great for me, but even after 4 months of a new rig, I'm still looking forward to more out of progressing technology. I think to 90% of people, the 6300 will be everything they've dreamed of, and at a fantastically low price, especially when compared to the analogous intel processors. However, I think if you're like me, and looking for more, you might want to skip the 6300 and go straight for the fx-8350 8-core. I'll have to wait till I have the cash flow to try it out, but I think the baseline 4.0 Ghz and 8 cores might be worth the extra $70, especially since people have been comparing it ($190) with Intel i7s that cost almost $500, and have a tendency to run hot. I intend to pair it with a GTX 770 graphics card (maybe even double it with crossfire or something), so my next update will probably be late next spring, maybe even next summer, comparing performance with each processor. Until then, stay cool.

*Update _January 2014
Finally tuned it to 4.1 GHz at 1.35 volts. However, the voltage is creeping into the redzone. I'm definitely no pro at overclocking, but I feel safe with this frequency/voltage because A)the 6300 is built for 4.1 and B) AMD Overdrive stability tests run the chip at 100% capacity (actually it's around 98%), stable for 1 hour at 62C without hardware or calculation failures. I won't bother trying 2 hours because I'll never use it at 100% for such an extended period of time. I think I've been successful because it's so cool in my house (About 65F during the winter) and the chip's been idling as low as 6 or 7 Celsius and doesn't get much higher than 30 or 40 C under most situations. Really the only thing holding me back now is my graphics card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent budget gaming CPU, easy to overclock and runs fast and reliably!, April 20, 2014
This is my 2nd build with the AMD FX-6300 and I'm very impressed! I'm an Intel guy and I've been building mostly Intel-based systems for over 20 years and this CPU is the 1st AMD CPU that has impressed me with its value and performance and low price!

I pair it with the MSI 970A-G46 motherboard and the Corsair H60 AIO liquid CPU cooler and it's effortless to overclock the thing and keeps the temps where they should be. AMD has a winner on their hands here, especially for budget builds where every penny counts!

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely LOVE this CPU!, April 30, 2014
I built my first computer recently and decided that the FX-6300 would fit my needs and budget pretty well. I am very pleased to say that this CPU has far exceeded my expectations. I can run multiple applications, games, programs, you name it and I'm not waiting on the computer to catch up. For the price you pay you really can't beat it. I especially love the overdrive feature. It takes it from 3.5GHz to 4.1GHz, and that's BEFORE overclocking. I couldn't imagine this thing being overclocked. Excellent cpu!!! A++++

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD Makes a solid product, January 8, 2013
I have worked with both Intel and AMD chips. The FX6300 6 core is a versatile chip for multitasking. It plays all the latest games with great performance while being able to have other cores in the background crunching on other tasks (music, etc.)

I built 3 machines all using this chip at Christmas time for my family. They all love the performance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good processor, June 5, 2013
I was looking for something on my budget to be able to work with 3d modeling and renderings and this processor plus the graphics card makes my job so much easier!