4.0 out of 5 stars Actual specs
Here are the actual specs for anyone interested:

Model / Processor Frequency: AMD Phenom II Processor Model X4 965 (3.4GHz)
L1 Cache Sizes: 64K of L1 instruction and 64K of L1 data cache per core (512KB total L1 per processor)
L2 Cache Sizes: 512KB of L2 data cache per core (2MB total L2 per X4 processor)
L3 Cache Size (shared): 6MB
Total...
Published on April 18, 2010 by Warren F. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Great CPU, TERRIBLE Fan
I play online games (MMOs) and have a decent mid-range setup and once my game gets going the fan kicks up to super noisy speed. It whines more than a 2 year old. Buy a good cooler and ditch the stock that comes with.
Published 20 months ago by JamesNAmanda

4.0 out of 5 stars Actual specs, April 18, 2010
This review is from: AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ (Personal Computers)
Here are the actual specs for anyone interested:

Model / Processor Frequency: AMD Phenom II Processor Model X4 965 (3.4GHz)
L2 Cache Sizes: 512KB of L2 data cache per core (2MB total L2 per X4 processor)
L3 Cache Size (shared): 6MB
Total Cache (L2+L3): 8MB
Memory Controller Type: Integrated 128-bit wide memory controller, capable of being configured for dual 64-bit channels for simultaneous read/writes
Memory Controller Frequency: Up to 2.0GHz with Dual Dynamic Power Management
Types of Memory: Unreg. DIMMs up to PC2 8500 (DDR2-1066MHz) and PC3 1333 (DDR3-1333MHz)
HyperTransport 3.0: One 16-bit/16-bit link @ up to 4000MHz full duplex
Total Processor Bandwidth: Up to 37.3 GB/s bandwidth (Up to 21.3GB/s memory bandwidth)
Packaging: Socket AM3 938-pin organic micro pin grid array (micro-PGA) (backward compatible with Socket AM2)
Fab location: GLOBALFOUNDARIES Fab 1 module 1 Dresden, Germany
Process Technology: 45nm (.045-micron) DSL Silicon on Insulator (SOI)
Approximate Transistor count: approx. ~758 million (65nm)
Approximate Die Size: 258 mm2 (45nm)
Nominal Voltage: .0825-1.5 Volts
Max Ambient Case Temp: 65 degress Celsius
Max TDP: 140 Watts
Source: AMD

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic AMD Power, June 6, 2010
Amazon Customer (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I decided to take my grad money to the local computer store! After getting suggestions from my fellow computer nerd friends I decided to, among other things, pick up this CPU(AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition AM3 125w) NOT the 145w version.

Just Cause 2 was stable in high resolution settings when outputting to my 40" LCD HDTV in 1360x768. Crysis Warhead runs great on enthusiast(max details) with Anti-Aliasing turned OFF. I'm running the CPU overclocked at 3.85Ghz. Ran Prime95 for 4 hours and it never restarted or hiccuped. When I had it at 3.96 it was not happy and restarted a minute into the stress test. At [...] they got it stable at 3.86. You can go higher but you are taking risks even with a better cooler. I have a Cooler Master hyper 212 Plus.

It runs about 53 degrees at stress. My motherboard (Asus M4A79xtd EVO unlocked all 4 cores)

The CPU seems to handle everything I can throw at it. Video Encoding speeds are decent. A two hour DVD movie ripping to h.264 in 720p will take about 25 to 30 minutes. Sherlock Holmes is a 25gb Blu-Ray disc and it ripped that in roughly 4 hours Full HD movie files are hot. And the file was only 4gb.

My friend has an i7 and I am sure he can encode Blu-Ray faster but at what cost? His i7 core still runs for around $600 and I got this CPU for less than $200!!!

Coolermaster HAF922
Coolermaster hyper 212 plus
Asus m4a79xtd evo am3
A-Data Gaming 4gb (2x2gb)
700w ocz stealthxstream
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition(3.4Ghz overclocked to 3.85)
Gigabyte Radeon HD5770
Barracuda 2tb + 2tb external

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Cores 3.4 Ghz this is Fast, March 29, 2010
This baby is so fast that Crysis is begging for Mercy in term of frame rate on 60 FPS on 720p and fast PC Performance and Power Saving , and Silent Fan Sound i give it more than 5 if i can.
Thanks and regards Sulaiman from Kuwait

5.0 out of 5 stars a descent cpu for the price, October 19, 2011
I got this recently a special deal for it where it was 119.98 . I bought it cause my first time building a computer originally had a Athlon II x 4 640 however I screwed the first one up cause being a noob mistakes can happen. However I did have some pretty good upgrading hardware skills so I decided to give it another try and if that time It didn't work I'd scrap my self made pc project. I decided If i was gonna give it a last try I'd pick up the best cpu i could afford being this one and it was on sale. I popped it in everything came on no issues beenup and running for some time now. I noticed a great improvement performance wise over my other pc which is a Dell Optiplex 280gx . I decided to custom build cause I want a descent gaming pc for my sims Stuff I am into as well as First person shooter type games. Easier to self build rather then find upgrades for the optiplex. Everything went well minus the mishap and this cpu here made it a great computer so far I can't review much Windows 7 wise as I am using Ubuntu til i can afford to get Windows 7 I buy piece by piece due to my limited income I set aside each month for spending 135 for gaming and other electronics being thats my hobby . I am glad I got this cpu here it's good. and from other reviews I have read and vids on youtube The phenom's are better for gaming so far noticed improvement load wise even on farmville and other facebook games. The rendering of videos and such on youtube is much smoother. then the other pc. Everything runs faster and more high performance wise. I would recommend this cpu it's a mid range and good price for those of us who are on a fixed income and can't afford the prime rib of processors the i7 this one for my type of usage which includes painting drawing(bit of graphic art stuff I do) gaming, watching movies listening to music and general computing etc. this processor is great for those of uses and a good price. In otherwords it has a good price to performance ratio and if you pick it up and give it a try you won't be disappointed in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Phenom ii YOU WANT, September 21, 2011
We build computers so we are constantly looking at the best value of hardware for our builds. This AMD Phenom II QUAD 965 is really sweet. We were not sure about this choice. We had a previous phenom ii, the 940 that was underwhelming. But after looking at the various dual core options in AMD we gave it a go. This was a good decision. We like the Xigmatek S-1283 cooler. It is tall, but very quiet and at around $30 it is a super cooler. The cpu has moderate power requirements for reasonable operating temperatures. It is rated 125 watts. You have to make sure your motherboard takes those 125 and 140 watt cpu's. AMD finally solved the Phenom ii speed problem, and this cpu at 3.4ghz ROCKS. We use ASUS whenever we can for mainboards. So we married this cpu to a ASUS AM3 socket M4A88T-M motherboard that has great features and easy setup. We think the architecture of the cache on this processor makes it a better gaming choice over the competition. You can pay a little less for a 955 AMD quad, but stretch to the 965. You'll be glad you did! Our latest build with that Phenom II 965 and Asus M488t-M was completed with a Radeon 5770 video card and Kingson Blue DDR3 memory. We like the XM-5U front mount card readers and all SATA Western Digital and Liteon DVD-R for storage. It is plenty fast for the latest high graphic intense games. Very Nice and we did it ourselves saving a bunch,

4.0 out of 5 stars Needed Upgrade, December 14, 2012
This CPU was the fastest supported by my motherboard. I wanted to upgrade to the AMD FX 8350 or 8150 but I would have to buy a new AM3+ motherboard and memory. I decided to extend the life of my existing motherboard instead hopefully for at least another year. I upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor. Although it was fast for my needs, it became sluggish with playing Blu-Ray and HD videos as well as video/photo editing. Free Shipping delivery was reasonably fast and received on time. Installing this new CPU to my ASUS motherboard M3N78 Pro was quick, about 5 minutes. I powered my PC and noticed the CPU was immediately recognized on my Windows 8 Pro system. I checked BIOS and all was good. Noticed that boot-up was way quicker and loading the Metro/Desktop was very fast. I immediately tested playing HD video (1080p) and my Blu-Ray movies and was pleased to see that they now play smooth without any freezing. Video editing was somewhat faster but not enough to excite me which is why I took off 1 star. Fan noise is about the same as my old CPU fan, only slightly louder. Overall, I am pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CPU!, March 10, 2012
This processor is a great buy for the money, and I see huge differences from my previous AMD Athlon II x2 265 3.3 ghz processor. For the price you can't really find a better quad core processor. It might not be as fast as some of the Intel quads, but the price difference is fairly significant for some. Definitely a great buy for someone like me who was looking to do a bargain build and still grab some serious performance at a good price. You can definitely save some money here to put into other aspects of your build i.e. video card, etc. without having to worry about losing processing performance.

For all the complaints about the Stock Cooler it's not bad. It's a CoolerMaster. They are a proven brand and rock solid. The Heat Sink is Aluminum with Copper Piping (I was surprised to see Copper on a Stock Cooler). The Fan moves plenty of air, but at the cost of being noisy.

I've overclocked it to 3.8 ghz and it does get hot. When its stock the cooler is ok but if your going to overclock like me you better get an after market cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Processor, October 14, 2010
I had doubts about this processor living up to its reputation, and I guess I was used to spending more on Intel products over the past few years to expect the same quality from this processor even though several of my other builds ran great on AMD's. I was wrong. The 965 lives on an ASUS M489GTD Pro/USB3 board with 8 gigs of corsair 1600 mhz memory. On initial start up, the processorclocked 3.67 ghz and seemed to to loaf. I gave it some break in time, and tonight clocked to 3.75 ghz with no problem. The most amazing thing to me is the stability of the system (I had read a review that said the 965 was "unstable") and the fact that working temps are under 100 degrees on the Farenheit scale!! I have read of these chips clocking over 4 ghz, but I am happy where I'm at. The balance of my system is an ATI 5770 graphics card, 8 gigs of Corsair 1600mhz memory, a Hitachi 1 Terabyte HDD in an Antec 300 case. I am amazed. Too, Amazon delivered my board and processor within 36 hours of placing a midnight order. Impressive all around!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars hotness (in multiple ways), May 5, 2013
This CPU absolutely kicks butt for the price and I would highly recommend it for anyone trying to build a gaming PC on a budget. It absolutely runs like a dream and have zero problems with the processor itself.

I do have big problems with the stock fan. Once I installed everything and started running games I noticed that my computer was heating up WAY faster and hotter than with my previous 2.2 ghz processor playing games at the same settings as before. Needless to say I was a little confused. Over time my fan started to get loud. Like REALLY loud. I nicknamed it the banshee. I got sick of that really fast and got an aftermarket cooler and now it's quiet as a church mouse and is much cooler. Even so, the black edition does pump out a lot of heat so be wary of temperatures

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Processor, August 30, 2010
Steven Philips "iimpact" (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have always loved the innovation and value AMD has shown since it first released their Athlon processor. Since that time they have lead in innovation ahead and more soundly than its' competitors.

I chose to return again to AMD and compared what it does with its' competitors abilities, application and value (cost to performance) and AMD still comes out on top!

This processor is no exception. The core runs fast and the heatsynch is great without the need to going third party. I have not needed to consider overclocking this processor as it works well with the system motherboard AMD 890 chipset that it is seemless in working.