5.0 out of 5 stars Control your HTPC with this.
Published on May 12, 2009 by C. Watson

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK, but over-rated remote
I purchased this remote through Amazon.com last month after I found that it had received excellent reviews. I had hoped to use it as a good, reliable remote for my media center running Boxee. However, I'm disappointed with it's performance and wish I could return or sell it.

To be fair, it has good qualities:
1) The mouse feature is nice, and works...
Published on September 14, 2009 by Alice Addertongue

5.0 out of 5 stars Control your HTPC with this., May 12, 2009
C. Watson (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ANDROSET Mini 2.4GHz Wireless Air Keyboard and Air Mouse with 3D Gaming Support for PC and Android (Electronics)
Got a Logitech Harmony universal remote? Want to control your home theater pc with it along with everything else in your living room? Then this is the remote you want. I actually only needed the IR adapter and i was able to control my pc with the Logitech Harmony 880. I tried the remote pictured here and it works perfectly but i didn't need it. If you want a cheap IR to control your HTPC then here is a good solution. Oh and to program the Harmony to work with it you'll need the model name and number which is: Chinavision CVSB-983

5.0 out of 5 stars No More Mad-Mouse Dives!, March 7, 2009
This little gizmo is just beautiful for what I bought it for. See, over time, it has come to the point that almost none of the shows that I like seem to air when I'm home (or awake) so, I've taken to watching them online on my laptop. Add in that one of the few things I can afford is a subscription to NetFlix and well, hooking into my television only took a couple of cables for very little $$ so there ya go. The only problem was trying to pause when I had to get up or the phone rang.

Now, I suppose that I could have gone the Bluetooth adapter route but, frankly, without a coffee table what was I going to run it on? My leg? And since those presentation remotes are designed for Power Point, I wasn't sure that any of them would work for what I needed; which was basically a mouse in a remote form.

Enter this little remote which, seemed a little too good to be true given the price and all, but despite my misgivings- this thing really does work. Seriously, all I have to do is hook up my lappy and turn him on for the night. I can even switch the displays using the remote from my couch and even turn it off at the end of the evening without ever having to cross the room- so he's back to normal and ready for work the next morning without any extra fuss.

The unit itself comes in a small box with the remote, the IR USB adaptor, a slip of paper for the instructions and that's it. The English in the instructions is- well, horrid, but understandable. (It's a remote so, there's really not a lot to explain anyway). As always, the most valuable bit of information in them is the button chart, particularly since there were a couple that aren't necessarily standard; such as the window drag button (which, not only works just fine but is also a very clever and very useful feature for getting the display windows out of my way on the desktop but keeping them open for switching back later).

Unfortunately, as is true for all remotes- there are, however, those couple of buttons that really do nothing for me. Again, just like all of the others, I think it's either due to my system (much as I love my lappy, he's an el cheapo containing no bells and/or whistles of any sort), or due to my lack of knowledge (one or two clever tricks does not an expert make).

Still, this thing is clever, perfect for me and just what I needed to tell those idiots at scheduling that they can finally take a flying leap because, once again, I can watch my tv shows on my tv without having to dive across the room every time Nature or just the mother-in-law decides to call.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Media PC controller and not a bad mouse, July 29, 2009
This little gem works great and can be used with about any learning universal remote, including harmony (so long as you teach it the commands). There's also a JP1 upgrade for it if you're so inclined (no-name USB PC remote). I'm mainly writing to unlock the mystery of the A, B, C, D hotkeys. The instructions say that each can send any of 3 key combinations. A, for example, sends Ctrl+Alt+A, Ctrl+Alt+1 or Ctrl+Alt+F1. I couldn't figure out how to tell it which of those 3 to send. Well the fact is that each button sends all 3 hotkeys at once. For example, pressing A sends Ctrl+Alt+A, Ctrl+Alt+1 and Ctrl+Alt+F1 all at the same time. So they're basically giving you a choice of keys, but you wouldn't ever use more than 1 in each group of 3. I did a little experiment and made 3 different shortcuts using Ctrl+Alt+A, 1 and F1, and they all opened at the same time from just a single press of the A key.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instructions for Setting Up the Hotkeys, July 11, 2010
The Innovator (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This high quality Universal PC Remote is an AWESOME value for only $5 bucks plus change and shipping! Many reviewers gave this device a low rating simply because they can't get the four Hotkeys to open their media player, or other applications as expected. This issue is due to a poorly written instruction sheet, and is not due to any flaw with the device itself. The instruction sheet is entertaining but incomplete. The English is so poor it's laughable.

Here's how to setup the Remote's Hotkeys under Windows... Right click your mouse on your player shortcut (hopefully located on your Desktop, else you will need to create one), and then clicking "Properties". In the "Properties" screen there is a text box labeled "Shortcut Key". Click on this text box and press the "ALT and A" keys simultaneously. Click the "OK" button . Now the player's shortcut will run whenever the remote's "A" Hotkey is pressed. Now wasn't that easy!

If you want to assign the "B" key to another player (or any other application you wish to start), then use "ALT and B". Hotkey "C" use "ALT and C". Hotkey "D" use "ALT and D". If you want more than one application to open when you press the "A" Hotkey, then in the second application's short cut use "ALT and 1". A third application can be started by using "ALT and F1". This works because when you press the "A" Hotkey the remote sends three strings of control characters sequentially (Ctrl +Alt+A, then Ctrl+Alt+1, then Ctrl+Alt+F1) and can open three separate applications.

Would you like an easy way to type text using your remote without having to resort to pressing number keys (like you would on a cheap cell phone). In Windows 7 (and may be available in earlier version too) you can use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK). This feature gets its input from the mouse instead of the keyboard. Go to Windows Help if you want to learn more about the OSK.

You can create an On-Screen Keyboard shortcut by going to the program executable located at: C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe. Right click over the osk.exe file and create a shortcut on your Desktop. Then go into properties and assign the "Shortcut Key" to one of the Hotkeys (as described earlier). The On-Screen Keyboard will be displayed on the lower part of your screen. You simply move the mouse over a letter on the screen and click. It works so much better than pecking at those number keys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for use with XBMC and Harmony Remote, August 9, 2010
I got this specifically to use the USB dongle with a Logitech Harmony remote to control XBMC running on Windows XP. Best $8 I've spent on my media center. It works!

UPDATE:
After more testing with Chinavision CVSB-983 in Logitech Harmony Remote Software, I've found that a couple functions are missing and/or broken. Specifically, "Mouse Up" sends the mouse Up-Left, "NumLock" seems to do nothing, and "Open" is missing/cannot be sent with the Harmony remote. Note, however, that this is a flaw with Logitech's software, not this remote; I only share this for those who might benefit from it.

-PROS-

-Works without drivers-
First off, know this: the remote/dongle combination is really just remote-shaped IR wireless keyboard+mouse with specialized keys. This is why it doesn't need additional drivers - it just uses the built in standard HID drivers every generic mouse and keyboard use. I've run it through autohotkey's keypress monitor and found that the media buttons (play, stop, volume, WWW, etc...) produce the exact same scancodes as any other keyboard's media keys, and the rest of the buttons produce either one or two keyboard strokes. My findings have been uploaded to a table in the images section.

-Works with Logitech Harmony-
I see there's a lot of debate as to whether or not this remote can be emulated with a Logitech Harmony, and I suspect there's more to it than yes or no. For the record, I purchased this remote (Wireless USB PC Remote Control Mouse for PC) just over a week ago and can personally confirm that it DOES work with my Logitech Harmony Xbox 360 Remote by setting it up as a Chinavision CVSB-983. Does this mean there are different hardware revs of this remote being shipped out? Or has Logitech recently updated their codebase to accommodate? Perhaps we'll never know, but one thing's for sure, it works for me :)

-Works with XBMC-
XBMC can be controlled via keyboard, and since this remote is really just a keyboard, it works with XBMC right out of the box. All the essential keys are there: enter (for selecting), backspace (for going back in XBMC), backslash (to toggle fullscreen), Up/down/left/right, Tab (to switch between what's playing and the GUI), numbers 0-9, and of course all the media keys which work flawlessly (play, pause, next, ff/rw, volume (controls the PC volume, not XBMC's internal volume, etc). The only two keys I found missing for complete XBMC control were "M" for menu and "I" for info, which I remapped using Hotkey3 and 4 (more on that below).

-Hotkeys-
The remote has 4 hotkeys, each of which send out 3 batch key-presses. For example, Pressing Hotkey1 sends out Ctrl+alt+1, Ctrl+alt+f1, and ctrl+alt+a. Yes, it sends out all three combinations per each press of the button. This allows you to have one button perform up to three actions simultaneously (though I just use them for one function each). What you do with these is entirely up to you; as per the included instructions, I've set the program shortcuts of iTunes and XBMC to be opened by pressing Hotkey1 and Hotkey2 respectively.

In addition to program shortcuts, you can use AutoHotKey for complete control as to what the hotkeys (or any of the keys really) do. Like I said, I mapped the Chinavision's Hotkey3 and Hotkey4 to "Menu" and "Info" on the Harmony, then used AutoHotKey to intercept Ctrl+Alt+3 and Ctrl+alt+4 and send M and I respectively. Also, since I don't use the Windows shortcut to My Computer, I've mapped that button to send a "w," allowing me to easily mark shows watched or unwatched from the remote. The lines in the AutoHotKey script look like this:
^!3::send, m
^!4::send, i
#e::send, w

Couldn't be more simple, and I can now hit Menu, Info, and Mark in XBMC! To take over the rest of the non-media keys with Autohotkey, refer to the button-press keyboard output table I uploaded in the pictures section.

-Additional features-
Mouse - Do not buy this remote for the mouse or you'll be disappointed. It works, but is so poorly built it may as well not exist. On the plus side, all 8 directions can be emulated on the Logitech harmony remote - I have a page of softkeys setup to emulate mouse up/down/left/right (and both clicks) just in case I ever need it.

WWW and email media keys - just like the media keys on modern keyboards, they open your default program for each. I don't use them, but you might. Alternatively, you might try and learn the scancodes using autohotkey and use them for a completely different function. It's up to you.

-CONS-

-The remote itself is cheap-
...but what did you expect for $8? Like I said I got this for the dongle and it's reported compatibility with Logitech and XBMC. The remote itself is cheap, plasticy, and the button layout is completely uninspired. The directional keys are buried in the number keys, making it all too common to accidentally open up "my computer" instead of pressing "up" etc. As for the mouse, like I said it's useless (it works, it's just poorly designed). The dongle isn't anything to write home about either, but as it's job is to hide in your media cabinet, it doesn't really matter. Again, for $8, you know what you're getting ;)

-Poor documentation-
What people have uploaded to the pictures section is what you get in the box. Not much. It's clear enough to figure out most of what the remote has to offer but I still can't figure out exactly what "open" (Shift+P) is good for (maybe Microsoft's media center?) or how exactly the "switch windows" button works. "Switch windows" seems to only switch between the last two programs opened, and not XBMC for some reason. Also, after looking at it's output in AutoHotKey's key-press monitor, it appears to output more than one code depending on how quickly you press it (though nothing different seems to happen). So I gave up and don't bother with it. Poor documentation indeed.

-Possibly poor quality control-
I've heard reports of people saying that their volume up button sometimes shuts down their computer. This has not happened to me (and through my testing I don't see how it's possible) but I do realize that these things are so cheap that some flat out broken ones might be slipping out to customers. If that happens to you, get it replaced instead of reviewing a defective unit. *rolleyes*

So there you have it. Yes, it's cheap, but you're getting a lot of functionality for a measly $8. If your goal is even close to mine with this remote, you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars An OK, but over-rated remote, September 14, 2009

To be fair, it has good qualities:
1) The mouse feature is nice, and works reliably.
2) The IR connects reliably to the computer and works easily from the couch.
3) Keys are mostly programmable to XP shortcuts.

But, these good qualities are easily outweighed by the negatives:
A) The remote ships without any branding, and thus does not come with any customer service, website, or online forums for assistance. To make this clear: this is not made by Sony, and frankly, I don't know WHO makes it.
B) The instruction manual is written in very poor English. It's almost humorous if it didn't show how much thought they had put into this product.
C) The remote frequently sends the wrong signal to the computer, resulting in the computer confusing the "VOLUME UP" key with the "SHUT DOWN" key. It's a really, really obnoxious feature.
D) Batteries easily fall out of remote.
E) Keys are awkward, and are very easy to mistakenly press the wrong key. Want to scroll to the right? Sure, just don't press the "reveal desktop" key placed immediately below it.

It's a good remote for those who are on the cheep. But if you're looking to use your media center and not accidentally turn it off when turning up the volume, this isn't the remote for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars LINUX/LIRC WARNING!, March 23, 2010
J. Bossalini (Frisco, TX United States) - See all my reviews
First, this remote works as advertised. Plug and play in Linux without need to install drivers. BUT, don't buy this expecting to use the IR receiver with things such as lirc. This IR receiver registers itself as a HID keyboard/mouse combo. While you can finagle the configuration to work with lirc (to control things such as Mythtv or XBMC) you CANNOT use a generic IR remote with the receiver! Only the bundled remote works with the IR Receiver. The keymappings on this remote are not ideal for an HTPC, by the way. Oh, well.

If you are looking for a lirc compatible IR Receiver on the cheap, search ebay for the Microsoft MCE IR receiver, or get one of the MS MCE remotes on Amazon.

-Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Works as wireless mouse, but not truly MCE compliant (No REC button!), September 6, 2009
Bought this remote from Xbay. From the other reviews, I was thinking it would let me use the IR receiver with MCE commande from my Harmony 550 to run my HTPC. A couple of warnings. First, every MCE command set available from Harmony won't run my HTPC at all through the IR receiver I got with this remote. I know there are lots of folks using the MCE command set with the Harmony 550 to run their HTPC through Windows Media Center. I can't specifically place the blame, but I strongly suspect a problem with this IR reciever. So I went to teach the Harmony and get this, there is no "record" button on this remote. NO RECORD BUTTON?? What's up with that? The picture on Amazon just isn't good enough to show you the details of every transport button. Or lack thereof.

OTOH, anyone looking to use this as a wireless mouse should be pretty happy. There is a large joystick button at the top of the remote that works pretty well for what it is. "L", "Mouse Click" and "R" buttons are below the joystick to take the place of mouse buttons. The colored buttons at the top of the remote do things like spawn web browsers, etc. So as a virtual mouse, I guess it's decent.

So, bottom line, if you're just looking for a wireless handheld mouse/input device, this will work. If you're looking for a truly compliant WMC/MCE remote, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with XBMC & Linux, January 11, 2010
I got this to help make my XBMC/Linux experience better and it has. Worked out of the box with Ubuntu and XBMC. It's basically a mouse/keyboard in remote form.

Mouse is a little weird to move but for what I'm using it for the mouse part is seldom used.

4.0 out of 5 stars How this works with Harmony Remote - Really, July 25, 2011
This is a fantastic deal for Home Theater PC setups. No drivers required and it performs all the functions you need. As an added bonus (and a deal maker for me) is that it really does work with the Logitech Harmony remote controls. These instruction are specifically for this remote: Wireless USB PC Remote Control Mouse for PC

Yes, this remote does indeed work with Logitech Harmony remotes, for me, it works perfectly with the Harmony One. Here is how.

First, choose to add a new device, and choose Media Center PC > ChinavAsion (apparently misspelled by Logitech) and key in the product number CVSB-983.

IMPORTANT! When asked if you have the original remote answer NO. I discovered this after several failed attempts of cycling through the setup where you 'confirm' the IR codes. Confirming the codes does not work, the default codes provided do work. So remember, tell the 'wizard' that you DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL REMOTE.

Next,you do have to setup some of the button functions, this is a breeze, if you know where to do it. Under the 'Devices' tab click the 'Settings' button for the newly added 'Media Center PC' In the 'Device Options' screen click the radio button (the little circle) next to 'Customize Buttons' then click 'Next'. In the button configuration screen tell the setup what Harmony Buttons (the ones on the left) perform the functions of the original remote. When you have your buttons setup click 'Done' at the bottom left of the screen.

Now the Harmony remote knows how to behave as the Media Center Remote. The next step is to create an activity that uses the remote. I will assume you already can do this.

Finally, with your activity set up, you may need to tell the Harmony which device does what when using this activity. Such as in my case, I also use an AV Receiver and a Television. In order to have the buttons control the correct device, change them for the activity. Follow the next steps to do this.

Go to the 'Activities' tab and find the activity that uses the Media Center Remote. Click the button that reads 'Customize Buttons'. In the 'Customize the standard buttons on your remote' screen tell the setup what device (on the left side of the screen) control what function (on the right side of the screen). In my case for example, 'Volume Up' is controlled by the device 'AV Receiver' and the command is 'VolumeUp'. Additionally, 'Play' is controlled by the device 'Media Center Remote' and the command is 'Play'. Pretty easy to do. Set all the button commands the way you want them and then click the 'Done' button.

Don't forget to update your Harmony Remote and you should be all set to go.

If you have a HTPC and a Harmony Remote, this is the best deal for a remote control.