4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased with this curriculum
Published on August 11, 2012 by Wanda Ramos

2.0 out of 5 stars May not be a good curriculum to jump into
I have been an Alpha Omega user for 9 years. Being in the middle of a move and my husband between jobs, I looked for a workbook I could put my daughter in without too much expense when she finished her 4th grade math last month.

Published 22 months ago by S. Perez

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased with this curriculum, August 11, 2012
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
This is my first time using Horizons math and my daughter loves it. Its a great book, but I do find that the parents guide is not great on giving directions on how to teach a concept if your kid just doesnt get it. I found that Math-U-See was better when it comes to explaining certain concepts. For example, my daughter had trouble understanding place value and I was able to help her better using the Math-U-See instructional book. I have used Math-U-See and now Horizons. My kids did well on Math U See, they just found it boring. I discovered that my kids are very visual when it comes to learning, so the more colorful the better. Overall, I do Like Horizons and most importantly my 6 year old loves it. She literally begs me to work on her math book. The book is fun, colorful, and engaging. I highly recommend that you give it a try if you are looking for something different from what your using.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Math Curriculum, February 25, 2012
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
I homeschool my son, always have; he's in 2nd grade now. In Kindergarten, we used Math-U-See, and it was OK for Kindergarten, but by 1st grade, it was boring my son to tears. He hated math. So, I went to the Homeschool Store and the owner recommended Horizons. My son loves the brightly colored pages and pictures. He loves learning, and doing, multiple different things in one lesson. With Math-U-See, he hated doing the SAME thing, page after page after page. He likes Horizons much better. I have compared it to what other kids I know are doing in schools, both public and private. It seems to be on par with what they are learning in the BEST (above average) schools and more advanced than what they are learning at average schools. I bought the teachers manual for 1st grade, but never needed/used it, so I didn't get it for 2nd grade. I think I may buy it next year though, for 3rd grade.

2.0 out of 5 stars May not be a good curriculum to jump into, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)

We have used Switched-On Schoolhouse and the paper LifePacs which the computer curriculum is based on and also Singapore Math. So, it a colorful workbook, and maybe the spiral review is helpful. But at this point, it is last on my list of the math curriculums.

I have been frustrated with the new workbook because it keeps on asking her to do things with no explanation or definitions. Maybe it is review from the year before; I am not sure being new to it. I am already wanting to switch, and we are on the second unit. It does not give enough explanation. I thought maybe I missed something, and there is a text to use that explains these things that are just thrown at the student, but I just checked Alpha Omega's website, and there is not.

So there is my two cents. Hope this helps anyone looking for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series!, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
We love Horizon Math! As a home schooling mom of 4, I love how easy it is for the kids to manage the work on their own and still stay engage. As their teacher, I love how the repetitive and yet varying work solidifies the principles.

3.0 out of 5 stars almost no directions, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
Although my child is gifted, I needed to do more teaching with this book than I expected. There is so much packed on each page it can seem overwhelming to a second grade child. I will be using another curriculum for math this fall. My child felt the need to finish pages (still in the concrete phase) and was over stimulated by so many problems on each page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add it up and then Subtract, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
My daughter is learning her math the right way thanks to Horizons Math workbooks. She knows how to add and subtract really nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Math Curriculum, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
I started homeschooling my daughter last year (kindergarden) using Horizons Math K. She completed that and loved it. This year we are using Math 1 and still no problems! She loves the colors and different activities. It seems to be above standard grade level in comparison to public schools. It's not hard or too challenging for her. I purchased the teachers' guides (used-because I never pay full price for those) and use the printable worksheets to supplement the lessons. I feel the teachers' guides are simple and easy to follow and the suggested exercises do help your child to understand what he or she is doing. I am ordering Math 2 for next year and I will continue to use this curriculum through 6th grade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to teach but boring for our student, January 12, 2015
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
We homeschool a very active and bright 8 year old boy who struggles to stay focused on worksheets, and would benefit from more hands-on learning experiences. We switched to Horizons 2nd Grade this year from our public school district's provided curriculum, and have found Horizons to be a LOT of book work. I have to fight him to do it everyday. It's pretty repetitive and does not keep my son's interest at all. Oftentimes I only make him do half of the problems in a section because there are way too many. In spite of his boredom with it, I find Horizons very easy to teach - it comes with a word-for-word teacher's instruction manual and lots of manipulatives to help. I need to mix in some more games to break up the bookwork monotony for him. However, he has managed to learn a ton of new information very well/thoroughly from the Horizons curriculum- place value, addition with regrouping/carrying, time, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and colorful!, March 6, 2014
Adam Larson (Sturgeon Bay, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
Horizons Math 2 is interesting to look at and work through. The colors and pictures help make the learning fun. This is my son's first year homeschooling and I couldn't be more happy with this curriculum. I did not purchase the teacher keys and are finding that we really do not need them for this grade level. I will be making another purchase for my oldest son who will be entering 5th grade. I have a feeling teacher keys may come in handy for this grade. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars great math, June 12, 2013
This review is from: Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2 (Office Product)
I like the horizon math curriculum. The pages have a lot of color and are interesting and eye catching. My son does well with it.

Horizons Math 2 - Workbooks 1 & 2