2,390
APC BE550G Back-UPS 550VA 8-outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
Style Name: BE550GChange
Price:$57.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon September 11, 2008
Style Name: BE550GVerified Purchase
I ordered this for my new computer, and we had a power flicker just a few hours after I set it up! It worked perfectly. There is software included that will let you check the status of the battery and tell the unit what to do if it loses power (such as turn off the computer). Very useful!

Two things to note:
1) Make sure you connect the battery! There's a note on it to do this, but just in case you get in an unwrapping frenzy, you have to turn it over and slide the cover off in order to do that.

2) Only 4 of the outlets are powered by the battery- the other 4 are JUST surge protection. So if you want more than 4 items plugged into the battery, you may want to upgrade to a different model! It works perfectly for me though!
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Style Name: BE750G
I purchased one of these items on May 10, 2008. Since I had a blackout on 6/27, I figured I could finally write a review.

First, this is my first APC, as well as my first battery backup, product. I've owned a number of surge protectors in the past, but since I had purchased a new computer, I wanted to try a backup device.

After a deal of research, I finally went with this one, after the value for the money, and the positive reviews APC had received.

This model offers 10 outlets, of which 5 can run off of the battery. This also offers a master, and three 'slave' outlets. This means that if the master is off, the three outlets can optionally be shut off as well (helpful for printers, monitors, speakers, ...) It's optional, so you can shut it off (which I did).

It also offers a USB connection, so you can monitor the status of the battery using APC PowerChute Personal Edition.

Along with charge percentage, it gives the number of volts being passed into it, and the watt load on the battery, which seems to translate into a battery estimate (how long equipment can run).

PowerChute offers a couple of options, for when the power goes off - preserve the battery, or keep the computer on for as long as possible.

Having had a blackout, albeit at night, I can suggest what I had happen. First, my computer appears to have been put to sleep. When it started back up, SpeedFan began running my two fans at 100%. In short, the battery handled the blackout perfectly.

If you're worried about alarms going off at night, there are settings to disable the alarm between particular hours, or disable it entirely.

Finally, while this comes with a battery, they do recommend you replace these every three years. You can run self-tests manually to verify the battery. I did have a bit of trouble when first hooking up the battery, but it was relatively minor.

(As a guy who's interested in statistics, I would also have liked to have been able to pull more information from PowerChute - for example, via a battery log of what's happening when I'm not at my computer. Granted, it'll tell you when the battery kicks in, but I'd like to know what voltage is being passed, and whether usage watts are spiking or moving throughout the day. What happens when I'm running tasks, or if I have my computer sit for a couple of hours with the monitor off?)

Overall, I'm *extremely* happy with this product, and will *definitely* be purchasing another one of these to hook up my Playstation 3 and Sony Bravia.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2010
Style Name: BE750G
I've had an APC Back-UPS unit for several years now and have been very satisfied. When other people in my rural neighborhood have had blown hard drives or mother boards due to "dirty" power, I've not had a bit of trouble. Buying a UPS is a wise investment to protect your sensitive electronic equipment. However, when I went to upgrade trouble started to brew.

Recently, I purchased the BE750G directly from APC's website. I was uncertain about which UPS would work best with my computer, so I used the online wizards at the APC site to help determine the best UPS. The wizard asks questions about the type of computer you have (tower vs. mini desktop), monitor size, and what other type of peripherals you might have connected to your computer. The wizard will also ask you what type of processor you have. I entered all of this information into the wizard and was presented with the BE750G. Click... I made the purchase. Once the UPS arrived, I connected it to my computer following the directions and did a quick self-test of the unit. Within two seconds of clicking the self-test button in the provided Power Chute software, all power to my computer was dropped and it went off.

I called APC tech support and they asked me what type of computer I had. I explained that it was a Dell Studio XPS 435T with the new Core i7-920 processor. The tech support representative did a bit of research and found that the power supply in my computer is not compatible with the APC unit I had purchased. I was told that the BE750G provides power in or as a "stepped approximation to a sinewave" when on battery power and that the power supply in my computer required a UPS that provides a "pure sinewave" when on battery power. It all sounded like Greek to me, I just knew it didn't work.

Okay, so time to return this paper weight back to APC for a refund. But hold on, APC wants to charge me a 15% restocking fee even though it was their website that told me the unit would work with my computer! Aggravating! I'm still waiting to negotiate a peace agreement with APC over this, but have learned a valuable lesson. Do your research!

Although the BE750G doesn't work with my computer, I'm 100% certain that it would work with older computers. I'm so confident of this that I purchased a second APC unit (SMT750) for my home office. This one should work. APC products good. APC sales... not so good.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Style Name: BE550GVerified Purchase
So far I'm very pleased...I purchased this to safeguard my fiancee's Mac Mini. Setup was a breeze, just connect the battery, charge, plug in the AC and connect the data port to the Mac's USB port. The Mac instantly recognized the UPS in the Energy Saver section of System Preferences and provided me with several automated shutdown options...no additional software or configuration was necessary.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2010
Style Name: BE550G
Product: APC Backup-UPS ES 8-Outlet 550VA
Rating: 3/5 (good)

I bought one of these units several years ago at my local computer/electronics stores ... not to protect a PC, but rather to protect my phone answering machine, cable box, and most importantly my new (and then quite expensive) Flatscreen TV. It's done a very admirable job, and I only recently re-gifted it to a family member, after replacing it with a newer model 1300.

Advantages:
* Easy to use, right out of the box.
* Multiple connection types and outlets.
* Low space-saving profile, easily fitting inside or under small cabinets and tables.

Disadvantages:
* Small battery offers very limited runtime (figure 7-10 mins).
* Lacks built-in digital display showing load and remaining runtime.
* Lacks manual bypass for loud audible power-outtage alarm.

Bottom line: this is a very decent no-frills unit if you're on a budget. However, an increasing array of newer units with status displays are becoming cost competitive. Lastly, if your power blinks frequently, the lack of an alarm bypass can become annoying.

-----------------
TIP: Most UPSs have limited runtime. For example, the XS-1300 I replaced 550 with only holds 7AH of power (which will run my PC for just under 1 hour). To greatly extend this, I bought a big 55AH sealed marine gel battery, a trickle charger, and a 400W inverter. When the power goes out, that gives me the option of plugging either my UPS/PC or my UPS/TV setups into the 55AH battery for an additional 8+ hours of runtime.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Style Name: BE350G
 I certainly understand why some people are upset that the APC ES-350 does not support Power Management software However, I would like to show that even without Power Management support it can be very useful as a battery back-up for your home entertainment system.

I love my TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder so much so that I purchased a Western Digital My DVR Expander 1 TB eSATA Desktop External Hard Drive WDG1S10000VN (Black) to supplement the memory. Unfortunately, I live in an area that is prone to power outages and power "flickers". While I can not do much with the power outages the power flickers drive us crazy. Each time the power flickers out Tivo unit must completely reboot (which takes about 10 minutes) so not only do you miss the shows you are watching it also interrupts any recordings that are taking place.

While the APC ES-350 does not help me with power outages (the battery back-up is only good for a minute or two) it does save the day when have a flicker. Now please note, I do not have my television hooked up to the back-up, so still see the the TV flicker but now I do not have to wait for the Tivo to reboot. Could I hook my TV to the APC 350... maybe although it would likely draw too much power to be of any use... for that you would want to consider a bigger battery back-up (such as APC BE550R 550VA Back-UPS ES 8-Outlet Battery Backup System but it even it may be too small).

Other notes

- 6 total outlets - 3 provide battery back-up and 3 offer just surge protection
- Has a very loud audible beep once you lose power
- 200W of total power - in terms of computer equipment it will power a desk top computer with a 17" LCD screen for 7 minutes
- Does offer telephone line protection

Final Verdict - It seems to be a perfect choice as a power stand-by for our home entertainment center.

4 1/2 stars
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 6, 2009
Style Name: BE750GVerified Purchase
You have to do your homework and read the fine print on these. For example, 750 sounds like a big number, but that's the volt/amps and not the wattage, which is the number quoted on power supplies. The real problem is the Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) power supplies which have been required since July 2007. You can read about this in the FAQs on the APC website. As I understand it, the Back-UPS and Smart-UPS SC, are not true, pure sine wave UPS, and are not suitable for any Active PFC computer power supply rated 500W or more. This would include many Core i7 and older serious gaming machines. These bigger modern power supplies require true, pure sine wave UPS's like the Smart-UPS, Smart-UPS XL and Smart-UPS RT, according to the informative but confusing (to me) PDF that I downloaded from APC, Application Note #147. Of course, you need to calculate the correct load of your equipment to determine which model is suitable for you.
I have several of these UPS's and they have served me well with my older smaller PCs, but they are not suitable for my new machines. They cut out and shut down my Dell XPS 435T with a 475W power supply. I should have done my homework and upgraded my UPS instead of using the one I already had.
I still rate it 5 stars, because it does what it is supposed to do very well, if you choose the correct model for your equipment.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2008
Style Name: BE550G
Great product. We use these at the company I work for. They are great in the case of a "flicker" in power, no lost data. Or in the case of a longer outage, this gives you approx. 3-5 minutes to save what you are working on and shut down your computer. In my eyes, 4 receptacles on battery is plenty. All you really need is monitor and tower, all other peripherals can be plugged into surge protector. I would absolutely recommend this unit and we plan to purchase more in the future.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2012
Style Name: BE550GVerified Purchase
I owned this product for just under three years. When a storm passed, we lost every piece of electronic equipment plugged into this device (and nothing else in the house).

I filed a claim against the device. It was denied. After testing, they found the device to be working within specifications.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2009
Style Name: BE350GVerified Purchase
1. Amazon shipping was very fast (arrived the next day, PA-> NJ)

2. The 6 outlet is actually 3. That is, 3 with UPS, the other 3 is just
serge protection. My usage is for computer work station protection during
summer time's short power outage (like 2 seconds). So, the computer work
statation needs 1 UPS outlet. The computer monitor plugs into the
serge protection outlet so that not to overload the system. So far,
there have been about half a dozen short power outages and the unit is functional.

3. this unit, unlike my prior one, features a removable battery.
That may help in recycling, even though the stated purpose is
for easy battery replacement.

4. All lead acid batteries will eventually die. My prior unit lasted for
about 5 years. I don't know how long this one can last.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations