5.0 out of 5 stars It works, but you'll want the external battery
I bought this almost a year ago. It simply works. I have not had the issue with fan noise, but there are three computers in that room (that UPS is dedicated to one of them).

Published on March 8, 2011 by John Carder

2.0 out of 5 stars Risky Choice for Newer PCs
Published on September 4, 2011 by WilliWu

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, but you'll want the external battery, March 8, 2011
This review is from: APC BR1500G BACK-UPS RS 1500 10-Outlet 1500VA/865W UPS System (Electronics)

You want the BR24BPG external battery pack if you want to have time to do much of anything before shutting down the computer. It's an external battery pack that plugs into this, and roughly quadruples your run time. That can be very convenient. It's about the same size as the UPS itself. I think it contains the battery that should have been in the product to begin with, but that's what happens with consumer gear.

I'm in a very rural location (on top of an 8,300' mountain), where trees blow down on power lines, and lightning hits a lot. APC replaced an APC-protected motherboard once, without giving me any grief. That bought a lot of my loyalty to the brand.

This box works for me, especially with the external battery pack.
[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Risky Choice for Newer PCs, September 4, 2011
WilliWu (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
When I called APC tech support to find out why my new BX1000G* would not power my Dell XPS 9000 in a power outage, the customer rep knew exactly what was wrong. My Dell computer (and many others) needed a pure sine wave input and this APC series of UPS produces a "step approximated sine wave". She even emailed me a company white paper that explained why it was not compatible with many of the newer energy star compliant computers that have "Active Power Factor Correction" power supplies. She recommended that I exchange it for their "smart-ups" model SMT1000 which produces a pure sine wave. This sounded OK until I discovered that the SMT1000 costs almost four times as much as the BX1000G! Google for "apc ups active pfc" to learn much more about this problem. Call APC to find out if your particular PC is compatible before ordering.
My solution was to order another brand, CyberPower, pure sine wave unit from Amazon CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS 1500VA 900W PFC Compatible Pure Sine Wave. It provides more power (1500VA) and costs less than ˝ what APC charges for their 1000VA pure sine wave unit. CyberPower also sells a 1000VA pure sine wave unit on Amazon that sells for about the same price as this BR1000G APC unit.CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS 1000VA 600W PFC Compatible Pure Sine Wave
I will update this review after I've had a chance to check out the CyberPower unit.

Update, Sep 7, 2011: My CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD arrived today, seven days after I ordered it with Amazon free shipping. It was packed in the CyberPower box only which is well padded and came through in good shape. The battery was fully charged when it arrived, so that I was able to check it out with my Dell Studio XPS 9000 immediately. So far it looks like a winner as my computer did not even blink when I pulled the plug on the CyberPower unit. It indicated that it had about one hour of battery run time remaining when I plugged it back in five minutes later. My only gripe is that the power cord is about a foot shorter than the APC unit, but I can live with that a lot better than having my computer crash with every outage as it does with the APC UPS. Also, note that you have to hold the power button in for about three seconds to turn the CyberPower unit on.

* BR1000G has same output waveform and should have the same compatibility issues as BX1000G. APC tech rep did not recommend either for my computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 17, 2011
I think APC did a nice job on the PRO series back-ups.

only downside is when you first plug it in, the fan runs for about 3 hours, but then it does turn off. I haven't heard it since

I like the new design with the black case and LCD display. you can see how many watts everything connected is using right there.

you can also FINALLY mute the speaker when its running off the battery (during a power outage). I have other older models, and they would beep every few seconds when running on battery backup power. It's nice you can mute it now

I would highly recommend this back-ups. once you get over the first 3 hours of listening to the fan (its not insanely loud BTW), I think you will really like it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great UPS! Bad surge protector!, July 27, 2011
This is a great UPS, unfortunately it is NOT a good surge protector.

On the good side: I have a Debian Linux file-server which I use for backups (a 10TB one for multiple copies of each of my machines), and setting up apcupsd was really straightforward and was incredibly functional out of the box. My server is now aware of power failures, politely asks everyone to log off the machine, shuts down all of it daemons, and turns off after a 30-minute buffer provided by the UPS. Then when power is restored it boots right back up! The connection was VERY EASY and WORKS WELL. This is a very nice UPS, and I'm sure that the windows software is similarly functional and powerful.

I also really like the feature which allows you to set how sensitive the UPS is. You can make very small dips in the cause the UPS to kick on if your devices are sensitive to small dips. The UPS only does square-wave approximation, but that shouldn't affect most users.

As a note: this is only rated for 355 Joules!! DO NOT USE THIS DEVICE AS A SURGE PROTECTOR. It will NOT save your devices unless it is a very weak surge. If you do use this device, get a nice, highly rated surge protector with a low clamping voltage and put it between the wall-socket and this UPS. You will be much happier if you do! I lost a pair of speakers before I did the proper research and realized that the surge protection aspect of this device was essentially nil (fortunately it was only a pair of cheap speakers, the UPS functionality saved the computer on the other side, but I'm wary of that as "protection").

I can't figure out why there are so many people with fan noise issues. There must be some problem with a proportion of the units which causes the fan to not turn off after it finishes charging the battery. The fan and the inverter are both pretty noisy when there's a power failure, but I don't really care about the noise when that happens, I'm just happy that the machine is still up!

--Edit note--
I originally pointed out that there was no surge rating listed, but Amazon accepted my change to the technical specifications! So I removed that segment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 15, 2010
Miech (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Aesthetically, the unit is great. Its sleek and looks a lot better next to my modern equipment then its brother RS-500 that I've owned for several years. The LCD is a useful feature so that you don't need to log into a PC to view the UPS status.

I unfortunately had nothing but headaches. My first model purchased through amazon arrived in great shape and well packaged. The first step is to connect the battery. The leads are quite thick (for good reason) and APC left very little room inside for them. The terminal at the end of the wire that connects to the battery is too small for such wires, and simply snapped right off when placing the battery inside (due to lack of room, stiffness of the wires, and a horribly weak terminal). To continue testing, I had to solder a new terminal on.

Next, when I plugged the unit in, I noticed a noise coming from the circuitry. A high-pitched almost RF interference that is loud enough to irritate me several feet away. This noise occurs when plugged into A/C independent of the state of the UPS. Fed up, I set up an RMA with amazon.

Amazon is fantastic, and the new unit arrived a day or so later. Knowing about the battery lead limitations this time around, I was able to connect the positive lead and carefully adjust the leads and the battery so that it closed with minimal pressure on the terminals. Success.

When the replacement unit was plugged in, the same RF noise could be heard. Guess this proves that this model is plagued by this problem which is especially disappointing since its several-year-old brother is absolutely quiet. I could expect problems like this from the lower CS or ES lines, but the RS line was supposed to be enterprise level equipment.

I wrote this review as a warning for people to be very careful when plugging in their batteries an to advise that this model does emit this frequency noise 24/7, so if you are operating in a quiet office, it could get on your nerves, but if placing inside a server room, you won't hear it. Hopefully APC goes back to the days of better quality control because at this rate, it could be the last APC product I purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware - stuck with this product if it is incompatible., May 8, 2013
Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase, this power supply was incompatible with my PC power supply (Antec Earthwise). The power supply apparently requires a pure sinewave, while this unit is only approximate. That is fine, I can overlook this problem with a simple return to Amazon. But........THIS ITEM CANNOT BE RETURNED TO AMAZON and APC WILL NOT ISSUE CREDIT. So, I'm stuck with this door stop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud Electrical Noise, September 24, 2013
This product works, but it emits a high-pitched electrical noise when plugged into my wall (and a relative's wall). I contacted APC, who promptly replaced the unit. The replacement unit exhibited the exact same problem.

In short, if you have sensitive ears, don't buy this product. Also note that Amazon does not accept returns of this product because it contains hazardous material (a big battery).

5.0 out of 5 stars Working great so far........., June 20, 2010
BWPhoto (Santa Fe, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
This is the exact product I've been looking for to protect my extensive (and expensive) Mac computer set-up. It's straightforward and easy to install. I had two sudden power outages last week and the APC worked so seamlessly I didn't realize at first that the power had gone out. The APC gave me plenty of time to finish the work I was doing and shut down my whole system. Definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than they used to be!, September 22, 2010
Brandon (FORT WAYNE, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This UPS is the best one I have had from APC! It looks great but also functions very well. We have our business in a area prone to brown-outs and so far it has kept the computers up without a issue, also wonderful that there is an alarm silence button on the front, so our people don't have to listen to the beeping for more than a second or two! Great features!

1.0 out of 5 stars Less than 3 months of service, May 18, 2012
Nenad Bogojevic (Gaithersburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Had a unit for less than three months.
First power surge in area and unit died. Shows F04 error (Clamp short).
I have CyberPower 1500 right next to it, and unit handled it w/o problems.
Checked manual, said must call customer service.
After talking to rep, he agreed to replace the unit, but after I pay for shipping cost (which for 25lb unit is >$40). APC covers shipping only if unit dies in first 30 days.
What a joke!
APC used to be reputable company.
I will go with CyberPower from now on.