5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price
First, I am not sure why the list price and selling price of the black unit is almost $600 but this is available for 1/3. Even the manual says the functionality is exactly the same as the black unit. Oh well. I am not going to argue.

Published on August 30, 2010 by Simon

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing deal, effective but noisy, missing critical features
Published on September 22, 2010 by Dana Hood

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, August 30, 2010
This review is from: APC AV J10 Home Theater 1000VA Battery Backup, Power Filter and Power Conditioner (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

This item is pretty huge and VERY heavy. You need to consider an appropriate location and I would not put it on a shelf held by little pegs.

The 12 outlets are pretty spacious. I would have loved a couple more outlets, but that is just because I have a rack of A/V equipment that controls three TVs throughout the house.

My only complaint is the big power button in the front. This is very tempting for little fingers to push which will shut off all the systems that are plugged into it. It is funny that a product that is designed to not abruptly shut off your components has such an easy way to abruptly shut off your components.

I have not had to deal with a power surge or anything like that but I am hoping that won't be an issue.

Overall, this is a great deal for the price. There are similar items that run $600, $1000 and up. Given that it is made by APC, I have comfort that my equipment is safe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing deal, effective but noisy, missing critical features, September 22, 2010
The last time I looked at APC's AV line, I ended up getting a Belkin PureAV instead and I'm thrilled with it. Sadly, the Belkin is no longer made. Anyway, I needed a second unit, and Vann's price on the APC was way too good to pass up. What sucks is the APC makes a very noisy buzzing sound when it's running on battery, which from what I've learned is considered normal. By contrast, the PureAV is silent except for its fan, which is reasonably quiet. But otherwise, the APC works fine so far. I think maybe the APC was so cheap because the battery is dated 2006 (4 years old), but it came fully charged and seems to work fine.

Oh, one of the main reasons I went with the PureAV last time is it has several "always on" outlets so I could use it to switch off my power amp without losing power to the cable box. The APC completely overlooks this vital function, and many others. APC could really have done a much better job with this product, not to mention their whole website, which is an atrocity for anyone trying to compare specs between all their disjointed products.

As usual, Amazon and Vann's delivered fast with no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars APC AV J10, September 13, 2010
tomas dainius (SANDWICH, IL, US) - See all my reviews
this is perfect product especially if you have lots of power outages in your area
my primary use of it is for directv receiver to eliminate long boot up process after
the loss op power and protect expensive equipment from power spikes and shortages
it really does its the job i am glad i got , would highly recomend!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware, December 25, 2011
I bought this from VANN's in August 2011 and when it failed in November, they wanted nothing to do with me and referred me to APC for a warranty claim which in and of itself is painful.
They are probably technically right and I understand that but most stores would behind a new product.

It's a loud unit and after about 2 months it would start to beep and then would ultimately lose power shutting down the systems. If I left everything off for 24 hours and recharged it, it would work for a week or so but began slowly losing power.
I expected a lot more from APC and Vann's.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, September 4, 2011
Greg Waddell (Milledgeville, GA, US) - See all my reviews
the back up works great, has plenty of plugs for all of your equipment and you cannot beat this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, June 18, 2011
I normally wait a little while longer before writing a review on a purchase, but I am so impressed with this unit for the price, that I had to write one right away. I will update it later, but I just have to say, I am very impressed!

My home does not have the most dependable power. There are many times where we will take a .5 second power loss with no storm or other obvious reason. My sons are often playing Xbox on the flat screen through the receiver, and all of it shuts down hard. This is not good for electronics at all, and my son's don't enjoy their game not being saved as a bonus irritant. So I started looking for an APC UPS based on experience with them on computers. However, I didn't know if a computer one would work for home theater equipment. While researching, I came across an APC add for the J series, and then I found this silver one for triple digits off of the retail price. I didn't know if it would be strong enough to hold all of my home theater equipment for very long, but for the price, I took a chance. I don't need hours and hours of run time. Most of the power loss is less than a second.

So out of the box, the unit is crazy heavy, which I expected, but it is very large too. I read the specs, and kind of had an idea how big it would be, but even with that, the size took me back. It fits on my lower shelf of my flat screen console but barely. Out of the box, the battery was fully charged, which I didn't expect. When you plug everything in, there is a load meter you can cycle through the status screens to see, and I was only at 50 percent load while running a 100 watt receiver, powered sub woofer, Blue ray, Xbox, and 42 inch plasma. I turned everything on to see the run time, and it shows that I have approximately 12 minutes of battery time. That is more than what I needed to either smooth over the half second power outages or turn everything off gently if the outage is longer.

I pulled the AC plug, and it kicked right on to batteries keeping everything running without a glitch. Some other reviewers have complained that the fan is too loud. It is noticeable, but it only runs when the unit is on batteries, and I don't expect that to be too often for too long. That being said, it isn't obnoxious, just a buzz. I probably won't even hear it over the TV.

Pros:
Solid Well made unit
Good run time
Lots of outlets
Ready to protect right out of the box
Stylish
Great peace of mind

Cons:
Appears that it may be several years old, (but the price more than makes up for that.)
Big!
Not a pure sine wave, but also not $1200 like the S series.

I am so happy with this purchase, and so very pleased that I didn't have to pay nearly $500 for the equivalent!

Update: November 12, 2013. This thing is still running strong. I am so happy to own this!