5.0 out of 5 stars My Seventh Zagg InvisibleShield
I have purchased Zagg InvisibleShield screen protectors for seven devices: two iPhone 3's, two Droid Incredibles, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and now iPhone 5. I was a little hesitant to purchase this after reading the prior reviews, so I thought I should post a few clarifications:

Published 23 months ago by Musicfan145

3.0 out of 5 stars Size
Published 24 months ago by W. Tarng

5.0 out of 5 stars My Seventh Zagg InvisibleShield, September 28, 2012
This review is from: ZAGG APLIPHONE5CF invisibleSHIELD Screen Protector for New iPhone - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Clear (Wireless Phone Accessory)

- Several other reviewers need a bit of a refresher on the metric system. They state that this leaves a "1 centimeter" gap between the edge of the protector and the edge of the screen. Ummm, it's actually about 1 millimeter. In other words, it is a "case friendly" screen protector, exactly as advertised. The 1 mm gap prevents cases and bumpers from causing the edge to peel up.

- The method of applying the screen protector is different from any other that I have tried. (But to be honest, I haven't tried any other screen protector since I discovered these.) Unlike the others, the Zagg protectors are pliable, and they require the use of a wetting agent (included) to apply them. *You will actually need to read the instructions in order for it to work.* It probably takes 2-3 minutes longer to apply, but the results are far better. One problem I always had with screen protectors was applying it off center or just out of position. These give you a chance to correct the placement before it is stuck for good. (You can even use the included sqeegee to coax it a bit in the direction you need.) Also, with the typical stiff screen protectors, I always ended up with a speck of dust under the screen protector that causes a very noticeable bubble. With the Zagg, either they just don't attract as much dust during application, or the flexibility allows them to mold around dust specks so they are not noticeable. Unless you live in a Silicon Valley cleanroom, the Zagg will make it much easier to get a clean application.

- Every screen (and screen protector) is a trade-off between glare and clarity. A glass screen(or a screen protector with a glossy surface) will have terrible glare and will show fingerprints and smudges every time you touch your touchscreen. A typical glare-free screen protector (including the Zagg screen protectors labeled as glare-free will result in a disappointing loss of clarity.) The "original" Zagg InvisibleShield models (such as this one) have a sort of "orange peel" texture that, for me, strikes the perfect balance. Somehow it eliminates most glare, doesn't show fingerprints/smudges, and has almost no loss in clarity. The result is that your screen will be more visible, under real-world conditions, than with any of the cheapie 3-per-pack screen protectors.

- As an added bonus, the texture of the screen protector some how makes using the touchscreen keyboard easier. I'm not sure how, but it does.

- It's worth noting that the screen might be a little cloudy when you first apply the protector. It takes a day or so for the wetting agent to dry and for it to 'cure' completely.

- The purpose of a screen protector is to absorb damage, not to be invincible. I have used the Zagg warranty several times, including: 1) a screen protector that clouded up due to exposure to some sort of chemical (sunscreen I think, but I was in Jamaica, so who's to say), 2) a dimple that resulted from carrying my phone in the same pocket with a couple of sheet metal screws, and 3) an protector that peeled off my wife's iPhone 4S due to heat generated by extended use of a GPS navigation app and/or the lotion, hand sanitizer, etc. she uses. (The 4S seems to run hotter than other models, but then again, my wife works on the oncology floor of a hospital, so who knows what she is handling!) Unless the policy has changed, the Zagg warranty is not free; it costs $3-$4 each time. However, they ship you the replacement and an envelope to return the damaged one, so you can keep the old one in place until the new one arrives.

The worst thing I can say about these screen protectors is that the Zagg logo is printed in very tiny letters in the lower right corner. You won't notice it on a black iPhone, but if you have a white iPhone, it may be an unwanted blemish on your perfect white phone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Size, September 26, 2012
I have used the invisible shield for all my iPhones. I have owned every generation so far. I'm usually not a person to give out a review and some of the criticisms are not totally unfounded. The original for me does not stick on the screen forever and I have gotten replacements which costs shipping, but they do protect the screen well and do not scratch. I have installed a bunch and it took a few to get good at installing them so I would not recommend just installing it without watching a you tube video and preparing.

I think the problem with the other reviewers are complaining about with it being too small will realize that is the case friendly version of it which is supposed to be smaller. Since iPhone 5 cases have not really come out yet, you will soon realize that you do need it smaller. Tight cases that rim around the screen may not accommodate a full screen protector since it does add some thickness. Zagg does have the full screen protector non-case friendly version if you do not plan on using a case which better covers most of the screen. They offer an HD version which is supposed to have near glass clarity and smoothness. I probably won't get the original material again because of the slight yellow clarity issue.

I am using the competitor iShieldz for my 4s which is really good and probably comparable to their HD version. It uses an alcohol like based solution which dries much quicker but still requires some skill installing. But they have a version of it with an auto aligning applicator which is great if you haven't the skills to do it on your own. It is also a little cheaper.

It is still a good product, but I would never get the original version again. I think the HD version would be more to what people want. They have an Extreme version which is supposed to be even tougher. If you want to see the product and are not inclined to install it in your own, some malls have kiosks who install them for you. Check it out there before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cloudy film and imperfections, October 12, 2012
AY (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I had used Zagg on my iphone 4 and it was fantastic. So without hesitation I bought two for the iphone 5. Unfortunately, the quality of this product has really come down. Both of the shields had imperfections. Little bumps. Also, once they were on, they were very cloudy (which used to clear up) and streaky. I am very upset and will definitely not recommend this to anyone anymore.

2.0 out of 5 stars One Big Guess Before Offical Release, October 1, 2012
I'm rather disappointed with the Zagg InvisibleShield for the iPhone 5. I purchased the case-friendly screen protector, and I had no issues with the wet application process. You should be very careful not to allow any liquids to enter the exposed home button while installing the protector. My girlfriend's home button stopped working after installing her screen protector, and we both agree this was the cause. After installing the protector, I left my phone powered off for 12 hours while sealed in a zip-lock back with rice. This may be a little overkill; however, I wanted to avoid any possible water damage by powering my phone on with water inside of my device. In addition, I believe it helped speed up the process to remove any micro-bubbles under the protector after the installation!

I had one major issue with this protector, which is why I rated it only 2 stars. I centered my protector perfectly around the home button; however, there is more exposed screen space on the right side of my phone. I have contacted Zagg regarding this issue, and I believe that I may have purchased a defect.

One other concern that I had was the cut-out at the top of the protector. At first, I assumed that Zagg guessed at where the camera lens would be prior to the official Apple announcement. After further investigation, I realized that the proximity sensor was still located to the left of the earpiece speaker. I can see how the cut-out is necessary, but I would like for there to have been a better solution than to remove the whole top center of the protector. I have already noticed Zagg has started to change their stock image of their iPhone 5 screens to have a different cut-out towards the top to minimize exposure. I image that these new cut-outs will ship sometime in October and the packaging will be labeled iPhone 5 rather than The New iPhone.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase but plan to abuse Zagg's lifetime warranty if an updated cut-out is released.

10/08/12 UPDATE: Zagg has confirmed that the exposed screen space on the right side of my phone indicates my protector is defective. They have sent me a replacement screen protector (which I have yet to receive). However, they required that they place a $20 pending charge on my credit card until they receive the defective cover, which I can return in a standard envelope.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Complicated Misuse of $15, January 30, 2013
I've written a few product reviews on Amazon in the past; this is the first product i've rated less than three stars.

The short version: the product simply did not work for me. I'd recommend you look elsewhere for a screen protector, regardless of how much you plan to spend for one.

The more precise version: the product is the epitome of un-intuitiveness. Upon buying my iPhone 5, the only screen protector Verizon had in stock was the Zagg brand. Having used several screen protectors in the past, I figured they're all roughly the same, and did not hesitate to purchase it.

The first problem is that the package included only one screen protector. Every screen protector kit I purchased in the past came with 3-5 protectors; if you messed up the first one somehow, you had several more to use. With Zagg, you get one screen protector, and one chance to install it correctly. Which is problematic, unless you work in a cell phone store.

Secondly, the instructions and product arrangement are a mess. The screen protector adheres to an oversized square piece of plastic, and requires you to get fingerprints on the edges to remove it. There are two sets of instructions for installation, and each set basically states "figure it out on your own and good luck." The instructions included tiny visual aids and vague text which provide absolutely no help to install the protector. After accidentally removing the outer shield by mistake and then removing the screen protector from the base, the trouble really began.

Thirdly, the protector itself is extremely flimsy, sticky, and difficult to install. I had to reposition the protector several times, even though I used the included spray which is designed to make installation easier. After properly installing the protector, I noticed the screen was extremely cloudy due to moisture, and parts of the screen protector looked discolored. I removed it and cleaned the screen itself again, thinking the problem would be remedied. The effects were only worse after I reapplied the protector; the screen protector somehow acquired several black spots toward the bottom, and the discoloration remained.

After this exercise in madness, I accepted the fact that I had lost $15 and one hell of a battle. I threw the screen protector away, and then discovered the final problem: the protector had so much adhesive that my screen was still slightly cloudy/blurry. Extensive cleaning of the screen with rubbing alcohol thankfully remedied the issue.

Installing a screen protector should be a painless exercise and carry no risk to the device or one's sanity. Again, whether you have a large or small budget for protecting your screen, i'd look elsewhere. Even had the screen protector worked effectively upon application, the process is too tedious and time consuming to be worthwhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh., October 12, 2012
I ended up throwing mine away within a half hour of buying it. And yes, I'm aware the micro bubbles go away, that was not the issue. My issues are:

-Wet application process is good for getting the screen into place, way easier than just adhesive. However, the amount you need to use for it go smoothly is way more than you want to put on an electronic device. Especially one with a home button in the middle of all of it.

-The squeegee bent my screen. Guess I squeegee'd too hard? I didn't think so, no harder than was required to remove the larger bubbles. But it left dents in my screen that refracted the screen light badly so that there were black spots in the middle of everything. This was the most unacceptable part.

-The screen isn't very clear at all. Gives a weird reflection that's a huge pain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Mistake, October 10, 2012
Ridiculous to have a wet application on an electronic device, but it was recommended highly by a popular website. I bought this at a local store. I carefully followed the directions. The dimensions are slightly off. If one centers the opening for the home key, the opening for the front facing camera will be misaligned. There are bubbles under the protector that make my beautiful iPhone look as though it were suffering from some strange skin disease. This occurred despite my having used the supplied squeegee.

1.0 out of 5 stars Conspicuous logo - try another screen protector, October 9, 2012
After the struggle of getting the screen protector on, I took it off and threw it away. I have a white iPhone5 - and the Zagg logo in the lower left corner looks horrible. On a back phone, the logo would probably not show...SO if you have a white phone I would not but this screen protector. I mean really, why would Zagg put a logo on what is suppose to be a clear screen protector that is valued because you don't notice it??!!

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, September 19, 2013
thing was garbage with proper application it did not stay on well and every time it was slid into the pocket seeemed to peel off a little but then the frayed corners became dirty and would not stick I am very dissapointed with this product. The protector also has a thicker plastic texture which gives it a look like its dirty or hard to see through

2.0 out of 5 stars Great iPhone cover, but getting a replacement is huge PAIN!, September 5, 2013
I have to say this is the best protector for my iphoe 5 screen I've ever had. BUT. getting the lifetime warranty is a big pAIN IN THE REAR. So after registering the product you have emails back and forth and finally are able to get a replacement, it is free, except for the $3.99 delievery charge, I was already frustrated at how difficult they make it to get a replacement/registering product. I said fine, I will pay the $3.99 to mys surprise the last part after entering billing and CC info, they tell you that you must return their old prodcut or will be charged fully for the protector. That was enough for me to cancel my request for replacement, I will just get a different one elsewhere. Thanks for the overpriced price I paid for this prodcut!

Rate and Discover Movies