5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Toddlers
I have the lite version of this app on my iphone, which only has 4 puzzles. My 2 year old loves it & does them over and over. She is going to be so excited to see this in my Fire & with more puzzles. Puzzles of any kind are a great learning tool for little ones, helps encourage logical and spatial thinking skills.
Published on February 28, 2012 by S Harding

3.0 out of 5 stars For 2-3 yr. olds?
Published on February 28, 2012 by A. Dent

3.0 out of 5 stars For 2-3 yr. olds?, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
This is a good game for very young children. It plays well on a larger screen (10" tablet?) but the maker should have CLEARLY stated what they meant by 'young children'. The game is probably too easy for a 4 year old because the only challenge is dragging a piece from the left side of the screen and drop it into the corresponding slot on the left and it's quite obvious where everything fits - no rotation, flipping or any other manipulation is allowed or required.

Looking at the game from a technical and design angle, the animation is smooth, the colors are pleasant, the music while monotonous is soothing and besides a very basic 'help' screen and a link to other games there are no options to tweak.

2.0 out of 5 stars highly polished, not tangrams, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
This is more like paint by numbers than tangrams. Itdoesn't have the shapes of a standards tangram set, and the ultimate shape you build is separated, instead of being the contiguous silhouette that is normally offered, breaking it up into it's constituent shapes making it quite apparent where everything goes, presenting the same level of challenge as the old square peg round peg educational toy for developing infants. Well made, well crafted, but seems to be for a younger demographic than would normally have a device on which it can be played. Not Tangrams, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Pros & Cons. A Real Review, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
This is a child's app that'll be sure to bring out the "children" today...

As another viewer had mentioned, technically, this isn't the "real" Tangram as it should be played. However, this is a kid's app & I don't think.that matters much.

Pros:
1. A small bell chimes whenever the correct peice is put into place.
2. Bright, cheerful colors & quality puzzle designs.- 1* star
3. Light, calming background music for those who tend to concentrate better with music.
4. When the puzzle is completed, they are cheerfully congratulated with light clapping. This fosters encouragement for the child. 1*-star

Cons:
1. No clear directions on how to play or maneuver peices. For some, it may not be so obvious. -Minus 1* star
2. No option to turn off music or game play sounds (the bell & clapping can become annoying after the 3 or 4th puzzle)) Yes, I can turn my device sound down or, off but, I could miss notifications for 2 other apps that I running in the background. -minus 1* star.
3. No automatic advance to next puzzle. This is my BIGGEST issue with this app. I was surprised at the lack of an arrow or "Continue" button when you finished a puzzle. The first time I tried this app, I needed to search for a way to advance to the next puzzle. It should not be that difficult to find..especially in a child's app. You need to go BACK to the MAIN MENU by clicking the REFRESH ARROW in the very TOP LEFT hand corner of your screen. Perhaps, its just me but, I found this to be much too confusing, if not an odd way to advance the game? If there's was a better way, I certainy couldn't find it.- minus 1* star
4. Easily accessible for children to purchase other games within the app.- minus 1* star

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Tangrams' without the mess :-), February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
This app is aimed at Toddlers. It seems like a good idea for an app. While I would never personally give a toddler my smartphone, I might give him an outdated one. But, I have seen plenty of parents in the stores handing over their phones to the kids. So, let's take a look at the app.

These aren't tangrams in the true sense, but that's because the developers are targeting kids. The Tangrams are actually puzzles using the basic tangram shapes. It works nicely but the navigation between puzzles is lacking. You have to hit the back arrow and select a new one each time instead of the app automatically moving to the next puzzle. There is no settings option, to turn off sound or turn off the completion animations. Sound can be adjusted via the hardware volume keys. If the developer were to add autoprogression, the missing options menu would be a great place to put a toggle along with a volume setting and completion animation toggle.

In the end, I think it's a nice idea, but could use a little polish still. If you have kids and are ok with giving them the phone/tablet then grab this app today while it's free. At $1.99, that's your call on how much you think it's worth to the kids education.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enhancement, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
It would be nice if you could turn off the background music. Otherwise, I'm sure my son is going to like it. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Toddlers, February 28, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars My Preschooler loves it, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
My almost three year old loves this game and it is a challenge for her. I think the title "My first" implies it is for young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars great app, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
my 2 yr old really likes this. she has an easy enough time moving the pieces on the big tablet screen. and as she already knows basic shapes like circle, square,triangle. I'm now teaching her the slight differences in new shapes that can be kind of hard to understand. and everytime she completes a puzzle and hears clapping, she claps too smiling and proud. I would say that over 4's may find this too easy though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Music always on, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
Cannot turn off music or sound effects. Cannot change volume of the music or sound effects. For me, that is a necessary part of any app, the ability to control the sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for little kids, February 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Tangrams (App)
This app would be great for little kids. The music is not obnoxious like some apps I've run across and the puzzles are simple enough for those who are just learning about them.

While not what I would like as FAotD it should appeal to parents who have small children on a long trip.

My First Tangrams