My first inclination when I got this USB powered fan was to plug it into one of the USB ports on my MacBook Pro. It worked well but since I normally have both of my USB ports in use for other purposes, I had to find a better solution. I discoverd that this works quite well when plugged in to a USB hub. But my next revelation was when I thought how useful the fan would be if I could take it with me and power it from an external battery-pack. It worked really well since the battery pack was the weighted base and the fan could do its thing. I used a 5400mAh battery-pack and the fan operated for nearly 13 hours continuously before the battery was depleted.

This little fan generates a nice little breeze. It's use is only limited by your imagination.

The fan spins at 1700rpm and the blades are hard plastic, But you can literally stick your finger in the blades while spinning and not be hurt...not that I recommend that. I have seen other hand held fans that use silicone blades and I wonder if that might have been a better choice. I can see how the harder plastic blades might crack or snap if you were to sit on the thing or something.

In any case, this is a really handy and useful little USB powered fan. I like it.

I was provided a sample for review.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2012
Fan does the job. Don't expect it to blow your clothes off. But it does give a soothing, gentle breeze. And if you're working in a hot, humid environment, you will feel noticeably more comfortable with the fan than without it.

It's virtually silent too. At least compared to an old USB fan a friend got me a few years back. It looks something like this New USB Mobile Port Mini Fan For PC Mac Laptop Notebook and generates more noise than wind. The Arctic fan is virtually inaudible in comparison. (It still emits noise, but it's low...and often overshadowed by the sound of the laptop's cooling fan) .

I've also tried it with my mobile charger (Anker® Astro 5600mAh Backup External Battery Pack and Charger with built-in Flashlight) and it works just fine. It barely uses any power. I don't have numbers, but the charger was displaying 3 full bars (out of 4) when I plugged the fan. Left it for 8+ hours overnight. When I woke up, charger was still showing 3 bars.

The blades are made from plastic. Don't worry about accidentally hurting yourself while the fan is running, While you're probably bound to touch the blades while it's running, the fan immediately stops rotating, and you won't feel a thing.

Only drawback I can think of is the short gooseneck. It is sturdy though and it will hold the shape you bend it to. But a slightly longer gooseneck would give more flexibility.

If you're looking for a small, inexpensive fan to keep you cool while on your laptop, or perhaps while you're out and about (used with any mobile charger with USB output), I do recommend this one. Arctic are known for their PC cooling fans, so they know what they're doing.
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 18, 2014
Video Review Summary:
→ The ARCTIC Breeze Pro With 4-Port Data Hub is a surprisingly well built product, great for a variety of purposes and uses. This product expands on the ARCTIC Breeze Mobile USB-Powered Portable Fan by adding a sold stand base that also serves as a USB 2.0 hub.

→ One really cool improvement this fan has over the older model is the addition of a speed switch. The knob is illuminated by a blue glow, and allows you to adjust the fan from low to high, and lots of speeds in-between. The fan, when in use, is very quite and nearly impossible to hear on the low speed, and barely a light hum on the highs etting. The blades are a hard plastic, and the unit functions very smoothly. The bendable gooseneck allows you to adjust the fan to a variety of positions, and it appears quite durable keeping the fan in that position the whole time.

→ This fan can be used a couple of ways. You can power the hub via a USB port on the computer, or by using a wall charger. The USB hub is great for flash drives and there is an DC power port on the back for use with an optional power supply (not-included) should you need that extra power.

→ Overall, the ARCTIC Breeze Pro With 4-Port Data Hub is well made, designed very well, and appears to be a great value at the current selling price. Lots ways to use and enjoy this product.

Disclosure: I want you to know I received a sample product from the manufacturer for the purposes of providing this review. However, a review in exchange for the review sample was not promised. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the manufacturer or vendor.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 3, 2011
I don't leave as many reviews as I should, but this fan is worth it. It is small and compact but blows a lot of air. Helps to cool me down in a stuffy room or if I just hiked up a hill with my backpack (including my laptop) to the coffee shop. I actually get surprisingly cold when I use it (surprisingly, I suffer from being constantly warm) and sometimes have to unplug it after 15-20 minutes. This fan plugs into USB only, it has a very short bendable base, and 6 plastic blades. It is not silent but it is very quiet. The only improvements I could suggest would be adjustable speed (probably a low setting) and initially the bendy base does not feel sturdy. The fan seemed like it wanted to plop over, but the more I use it the better it stays put where I set it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2011
Considering that this fan has a 4-port powered USB hub attached, I think the price is about right. As a few other reviews have mentioned, the effective range of the fan is maybe 2 feet, but it's great for a work desk.

It has a contemporary style that is neither overly industrial nor too wild for your picky supervisor.

Pros:
*The fan is nearly silent, so it won't bug you or your co-workers.
*The power cord is long enough to reach a moderately inconvenient USB port, so you can use one in the back of your computer instead of the few precious ones in the front.
*The powered 4-port USB hub is endlessly useful, especially if your computer is below the desk.
*Will charge and read multiple devides simultaneously. Just tested it with both my cell phone and mp3 player!
*The whole thing is solidly built, and the base is weighty enough that the fan won't get knocked over accidently. We'll see how long the motor lasts but so far so good. Something with this low a power draw that doesn't rattle is probably going to last a while, in this engineer's opinion.
*the neck is metal (not plastic), bends quite well, and holds its position, so you can move it independently from the base.

Cons:
*Won't keep you cool if your boss/S.O. doesn't believe in A.C.
*You might find the blue light around the speed dial annoying if your office is dark.
*Won't make you popular. :-( (Well, maybe you could slap an Apple logo sticker on it?)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2013
I have really liked this fan to keep my very hot laptop cool.

I've plugged this into the usb port on the side of my laptop. Since there's nothing to protect the blades, various things have run into the fan blades - usually my hands. It hurts, but never caused me any harm.

The blades did get harmed though. After about 3 months, I noticed a crack on one blade. Since it was still hanging on, I glued it and crossed my fingers that it would hold. But it only took one more nudge a few weeks later and the blade broke off.

Now sadly the whole fan is imbalanced. If I try to use it with the missing blade, it unbends so it's no longer pointed at the laptop.

I'm torn between getting another one of these or finding one that has a grille to protect the blades (and my fingers). I love how this fan mounts straight off the usb rather than needing to set a fan next to the laptop. (I use my computer on a board on my lap, so there's not much room.)

Ultimately, if you can keep from hitting these blades, it's a great fan. If you know you'll run into them because of usb placement or whatever, then you might want to reconsider. Personally, I think I'm going to get another one and just try to be more careful next time. But first I'll try gluing again. (fingers crossed)

UPDATE: Artic is sending me a new fan! This kind of damage is covered under their warranty. All I had to do was email a copy of my invoice, which I found on Amazon by searching in my old orders. Easy. :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 7, 2015
Perfect to refresh my sick dog on travel (see photo),
Soundless. I love to use it on the desk with an external battery, low power consumption
review image
on April 17, 2012
I have been searching for a desktop fan for my desk at work for a few weeks now, and I had a few requirements. The most important requirement is silence. The office is typically very quiet, and so I didn't want anything louder than the ambient noise. Second, it needed to be USB-powered, mainly because I didn't want to deal with another power plug. Finally, I didn't want to spend too much ($10-$20).

My first two tries did not pass the silence test. The first one was a LED light/desk fan combo. The lights were great but the fan was similar to the battery-powered ones you get at gift shops at amusement parks (2 blades, flimsy, loud).

My second try was this "Dyson-like" desk fan ("bladeless") that cost $10 instead of the $200 of a real Dyson. Well, you definitely get what you pay for. Turns out it had an annoying whine while running. I took it apart and inside was a 92mm computer fan (except 5VDC rather than 12VDC).

This is my third try, but it is exactly what I wanted. The fan is silent, even running at full. The knob to adjust the fan speed was just icing on the cake. The base feels weighted so its not as likely to move around. The 4-port USB hub is literally plug-and-play. The only downside is that they don't provide you with a plug for the external power supply, but it isn't really necessary unless you have something that takes a lot of power from USB (like charging a phone or iPod). If you need it, the plug is a generic USB external-power plug design. Any power adapter designed for standard USB hubs will fit.
The price is on the high end of my requirements, but for an additional 4-port USB hub it was totally worth it.

Only one potential downside that wasn't part of my requirements is that the blades are indeed exposed. However, the fan runs at a low enough RPM (800 - 1800 according to the packaging) that it doesn't really hurt you if you accidentally bump it while its running. If you have cats that like to jump on your desk you may want to consider something different, but you may also not have the same "silence" requirement that I do.

If you need a desk fan that's silent and USB powered, look no further. This is a very well-engineered device that serves me perfectly for the requirements I listed above.
on January 19, 2015
Happy with this fan. It's quiet and moves a decent amount of air. The fan can be stopped with your hand, but I would cautious around little ones as it does have some decent torque. I uploaded pictures of power draw on low and high. Comes in handy when you need to know how many watts it uses from a battery.
On low it draws ~ 0.9 watts
On high it draws ~ 2 watts
review image review image
on October 21, 2013
I'm using this to cool my ASICMiners on my Etekcity® Premium 10 Port Powered External USB 2.0 Hub. It's quiet and moves a lot of air for a little fan. It keeps my miners warm to the touch, but not hot. I did stick my finger in it and it doesn't have soft blades. It didn't cut me, but it will hurt and it's more powerful than I expected.
review image