2,828 Reviews
 (2,067)

1,157 of 1,167 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install, fast speeds, and no issues so far!
Swapped out my Comcast rental modem, was up and running in just a few minutes, and now I don't have to pay the $7 modem rental fee to Comcast. I'm provisioned for the 105/20 Mbps package and typically get 120/20.5 Mbps.

Published 19 months ago by J. Cameron

2.0 out of 5 stars PROBLEMS WITH TIME WARNER
Published 17 months ago by Kunasz

1,157 of 1,167 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install, fast speeds, and no issues so far!, January 12, 2013
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White (Personal Computers)

This modem can utilize up to 8 channels of downstream for a theoretical max speed of 343 Mbps whereas the Motorola SB6121 and other earlier/cheaper DOCSIS 3 modems can only utilize 4 channels maxing your download speeds out at 172 Mbps. Just something to think about if you plan on using this modem for a few years as speeds offered will inevitably increase.

Also, it *does* support IPv6 even though Comcast's page doesn't list it as certified yet. Motorola's data sheet specifically lists the SB6141 as IPv6 ready and tests with an Apple AirPort Extreme (v7.6.4) and MacBook Pro running 10.9 confirm this.

Update 2/4/13: Still working great without issue.
Update 3/25/13: Still not even a single reboot required.
Update 8/28/13: Still working great...
Update 7/8/14: First issue... had an outage for 15 min. Reset the modem and it didn't resolve the issue. Called Comcast, they reset something on their end and I was up and running again. First issue since I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, April 17, 2013
I purchased this SB6141 to replace my VERY old Linksys DOCSIS 1.0 modem. I recently upgraded to 75mb download from RCN (Chicago) and DOCSIS 1.0 was going to bottleneck my speed.

The modem (as are all modems) was extremely easy to install. Plug in, call ISP and you are good. The speeds are fantastically fast and this modem was well worth the price.

****I purchased this white SB6141 over the black SB6141 for one main reason. If you do your research you will notice that the Black SB6141 are only issued to ISP's from Motorola. Meaning, if you purchase a black model from Amazon (or any store), you are purchasing a used or refurbished product (they also ship in ordinary brown cardboard boxes). The only consumer model of the SB6141 is the white model which ships in traditional packaging. The white model is THE ONLY model that comes with a warranty from Motorola. I know this because I called Motorola twice and spoke to two (2) different reps who said the same thing; "Black boxes are for ISP's and do not have a warranty while the white boxes are for consumers and come with a warranty". Further complicating matters is that the black SB6141's usually have old firmware on them because they were generally made a few years ago. White SB6141 have newer or the newest firmware because they are shipping directly from the manufacturer. Your ISP may or may not flash customer owned modems to the newest firmware. If you purchase the Black model, you might be purchasing a 3 year old modem with no chance of upgrading it (also remember that you cannot flash your own modem's firmware).

Do yourself a favor and research this white consumer model over the black ISP model before you pull the trigger. I spent 20 bucks more for the white SB6141 so I could have peace of mind and I would strongly encourage you to do the same.*****

The only "con" I have about this modem is that the blue lights on the modem ARE BRIGHT AS @#%&$. Seriously, at night, my living room is glowing blue from the lights. I really cannot express enough how bright the lights are. You were warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars one-year-update 05/23/2014 - still very happy!, May 27, 2013
Les L. (Des Moines, Iowa) - See all my reviews
Tired of paying my ISP to rent one of their modems.

Lots of research and this one just kept coming up on top for me; reliable manufacturer, good reviews by others, ease of setup, built for the future with 8-up 4-down bonding. Works just like promised with never a hitch. My only complaint is, as others have mentioned, the lights are irritatingly bright; this I solved by mounting under my desk where it is out of sight.

TIP 1: Make sure you purchase this "Retail Packaging - White". Don't try to save the few bucks buying the black version; all my research shows they are refurbished rentals from ISP providers and the common complaint is that they stop working about the time the warranty expires.
TIP 2: Make sure your ISP supports the firmware. My cable company does not specifically show this model but it supports the same model two generations back - close enough. All I did was a Google search " modems supported by mediacom des moines" (my ISP, my city). Take the time to do your research. I did and I'm VERY happy (except for the irritating lights).
TIP 3: One mis-notion: Just because this modem is "state-of-the-art" for home use, don't expect speed increases just by swapping modems. (Though my wife and I swear our pages load faster even though speed tests show the same up/down rates as before.) You have to up your internet package (dollars) to do this.

One month update - as pleased today as the day I set it up. Never a bump or a glitch.

Eight months and I'm as happy as the day I set it up!

One year and I'm still as happy as the day I set it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome modem, January 12, 2013
William Barbour (Seven Springs, NC) - See all my reviews
after I tried and failed attempt to buy this modem from amazon (its ok amazon made up for it) I ended up buying it from another website. it works great. movie streaming is great.

1 important thing I have figured out is that if you use TWC they will try to sneak you. they will peg your speed at 10mb until you notice it and contact them then they will say everything looks normal on their end and you test your speed again and its fine or they blame your modem. when they fix the issue they will leave it for a day or 2 and limit your speed again. they do this because you used your own modem and not theirs. they will try to blame the modem but it magically starts working right when you call them out on it. they do this for 2 reasons. 1) so you don't notice they lowered your cap and when streaming movies or games are not working right they try to blame your modem and talk you into renting theirs. 2) so they can talk you into upgrading service with the new rented modem that they try to stick you with because your modem is "bad". I am not the only 1 that this has happened to in my area and suspect it is happening in other TWC areas too since the service itself isn't "area" controlled. if you have had this happen to you called them out on it and tell them you know what they are doing and will contact the BBB and FTC if it happens again. if this has happened to you please post a response to my review with at least "I" or "me too" I want to get a count of how many have had this happen by TWC.

like I said the modem itself is awesome. best modem I have ever had period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Comcast Setup instructions below!!!, July 31, 2013
I just received this modem today to replace an aging ubee d3 modem from Comcast and to my surprise unlike the 6121 the 6141 is rock solid!

steps to activate:

Step 1: unplug all routers, modems, and EMTA's(if applicable).
Step 2: Get your new 6141 and do a direct connection to the wall and a direct connection to your computer(Very important!!!) and start it up.
Step 3: Let your computer sit for up to 3 minutes then launch firefox or IE(internet Explorer) to get to the Comcast activation page
Step 4: Once the activation window is up enter your account number and phone number at the service address, click next
Step 5: Once at the replace your current modem with your 6141 click next.
Step 6: Once at the ready to activate screen you should only have your 6141 with a ready to activate(if not choose to not activate anything else except the modem).
Step 7: Click next and let the modem sit for around 10-15 minutes as it gets updated and the config file is pushed to the 6141
Step 8: after 10-15 minutes click next and your all set and activated!
Step 9; reconnect everything back and enjoy super high speeds!

For 10 hours now this modem has been rock solid on my Comcast HSI setup.

I would highly recommend this modem for super speeds, I once got a peak speed on speed test of 85 mbps with this thing on blast service!

Edit 8/4/2013: This modem still rock solid and I have no complaints! With our new double play from Comcast we got a service protection plan for internet so if a tech comes it would be no charge, well I had a tech over to make sure that the modem signals were correct. Turns out the tech said that the signals were way out of specification and so he changed up our wiring outside of the house and now the modem is seeing excellent signal in specification to the network, I would highly recommend you do this to so you can make sure your signal levels are just right. Overall: Still a great buy and would still recommend it!

Edit 11/2/2013: Modem is still pumping rock solid power out! I had a couple of disconnects but it turns out it was Comcast fixing an outage in my area. Still recommend it and so far has been the most reliable modem we have had so far! I did some changing of splitter out side: I now have 2 2-way 1ghz splitters, the first one is connected to the line from the street and has the modem on one dedicated port and the second port is connected to my second splitter with 2 cable boxes. Why did I do this? Well Comcast does recommend my setup as now the modem is receiving a higher signal as Docsis 3.0 modems are sensitive to signal fluctuations and also digital cable boxes can be on the second splitter getting lower signal as they are not affected as much by lower signal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty percent faster?, January 15, 2013
I bought this to replace the Arris 760 that Comcast provided for $7/mo. I ran Speedtest twice on the Arris, with d/l speeds of 13.05 and 18.62 Mbps. When I hooked up the SB6141 it gave me the self-install page, but I could not find my account number and wound up calling 877-761-5015 ext 2 anyway. They answered immediately and had me going in about 15 minutes, mostly spent waiting for Comcast and the modem to get in sync with each other.

I ran Speedtest a few more times, and got consistent speeds in the 25.5 Mbps range. Upload speeds were about the same (4.5 Mbps) on both modems, but it appears for now that I am getting noticeably better speeds and avoiding Comcast rental charges as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars have comcast? use the auto-activation. don't call those morons., October 16, 2013
hey, amazonians! i got this because i read the other reviews that it works with comcast. unfortunately, comcast doesn't know that it works with comcast - are you surprised? i called and was on the phone for more than an hour while the tech tried to enter in all the information over the phone. they said i needed to bring it into a comcast location to get it manually entered - shut the front door. i asked for a supervisor who also knew nothing. i heard munching on popcorn in the background. whatevs.

i disconnected my old modem and plugged this one in. i waited until i saw all the pretty lights and then went back to my computer and tried to open a website. the browser automatically directs you to the comcast activation page. log in and follow all the simple instructions. the page will auto-detect your modem and then activate it. you just press the easy button and wait a few minutes. you never have to talk to a meatbag attached to a phone line. set it and forget it. in a few minutes it's done and you're connected.

sorry i had to learn this the difficult way. hopefully this process will be easy for you.
nice shiny modem with flashy lights. nice internet connection.

sb6141 - 5 stars for ease of use and sweet lights.
comcast - 0 starts because you always get 0 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars works for Comcast, and doubles the download speed of 2.0 modem, May 7, 2013
I purchased this MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard modem after receiving a notice from Comcast that I should upgrade my modem to DOCSIS 3.0. I purchased this more expensive white color one instead of the less expensive black color one (of the same model number) after hearing that some black ones were not really new, but had been used by carriers.

Anyway, this modem works for Comcast. Activation took about ten minutes with a call to 877-266-2678 (Comcast tech support). With my five-year-old DOCSIS 2.0 RCA modem, Speedtest.net test reported 16.4 Mbps download speed, 0.21 Mbps upload. With this new DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the download speed has been doubled to 38.77 Mbps (but the upload speed is the same).

Update (one week later): the modem still works well, never stopping or flipping. The download speed tested via Speedtest.net and via a wired connection is still pretty good, ranging between 30 (5-10-2013) to 40 Mbps (5-9-2013). The upload speed, though, remains 0.21 Mbps on each testing.

One user asks if he can use this modem with Comcast phone service. I think not. I believe that will require a different modem with telephony. Check Comcast site for the devices with phone feature: [...]. Personally, I use Ooma gadget (Amazon also carries it) to work along with this modem. Other modems will also work with Ooma. As long as you have the Internet working, Ooma will get you all the phone features you want at a much lower rate (basic rate is less than $10). I have been using Ooma for five years now, and it works well.

2nd Update (after speaking to Comcast tech): As my low upload speed (0.21 Mbps) caused my outgoing email with attachment to halt a long time, I gave Comcast support a call. They manually entered my MAC ID into their system, and had me reboot the modem AND the router. That really made a big difference, I am getting a download speed of close to 50 Mpbs, and an upload speed of 11 Mbps (vs 0.21 Mbps). Big help from the Comcast tech! (My Comcast Internet service is "Blast" or "Performance", with "Powerboost".) So all is really good now.

3rd update (one month): the modem still works without any issues. Speedtest.net tests reported download speeds around 60 (Mbps), but upload speeds ranged from 11 (5-12-2013) to 0.97 (6-1-2013), even after powering off and on both the modem and the router. I assume that it was the carrier (Comcast) who is to blame, not the SB6141 modem.

5.0 out of 5 stars works flawlessly, April 28, 2013
I'm on the Comcast system and was renting their Arris modem, and the darn thing sucked rotten eggs. My internet was dropping daily. I would have to call Comcast up every time to get a refresh signal and that would work for awhile. If I left the computer on at night with a web page open, the next day it would it would show that Internet Explorer stopped working and I had to close it down and then re-open it back up. What a hassle. I read a lot about different modems, and had always used the Motorola surfboard modems before with very little trouble. This one seemed like the perfect solution for me, and it works flawlessly so far. If I leave a web page open overnight, it still works the next day. The web pages open up much faster, never drops the internet and have not had to call to get a re-fresh signal. Getting this activated was very easy and fast. While I was talking to the Comcast tech during the activation of the modem, I was explaining my reasoning in buying this particular modem. He was telling me that Comcast does not have a whole of tools for them to get deep into trouble shooting this modem because they just do not break down. In his opinion, it was the best modem out there for the Comcast system. It never has nearly the troubles and problems as the other modems they deal with, and the Arris modem such as the one I was renting from Comcast was one of the worst. A friend of mine is using my old Motorala 2.0 modem now, and told them if this one works as well as it should, i'll be ordering them one also. Well, i'm a believer, and am buying another one for them to use. For the record, I've been working in this industry for over 30 yrs and have quite a bit of knowledge and expertize with the cable tv and telephone systems, and am able to talk to many insiders in these industries. This is the modem you want to buy if you want something that just works with little to no problems at all.. it's that simple.. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this modem..

2.0 out of 5 stars PROBLEMS WITH TIME WARNER, March 13, 2013
Unit that I received would only download at 50% of the speed of Time Warner's modem. Trouble shooted for 2 days--finally tier 3 tech support says that there is a problem with the software. Called Motorola--they do not isssue software updates to consumers. TMC has the updates because they use this modem, but will not update customer's modems--just their own. I can't recommend this modem for use with TMC accounts at this time.

UPDFATE It has been a year since I sent my original Surfboard back due to poor performance and the inability of either Motorola or TWC to upgrade firmware. But TWC pulled the plug on my free lease so I got another Surfboard. This one works fine, just a little faster than TWC's old modem, and FOR WHAT ITS WORTH TMC tech support says that they will soon be able to update the firmware. This may or may not be true. The switch was easy to make. Remember this modem does not do phones, so if you are keeping your old modem as a telephone only modem (no charge for that) you will need to get a splitter kit from TMC, which is free.

Rate and Discover Movies