5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality than expected
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

Easy set up. Unfortunately this modem router constantly drops the Wi-Fi connection. So much for the benefits of dual band. Would not recommend.
Published 3 months ago by Frozen Tundra

5.0 out of 5 stars Better quality than expected, February 10, 2014
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola Surfboard SBG6782-AC 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi Router- Retail Packaging (SBG6782-AC) (Personal Computers)
While this device is pricey, it is superior in quality to most "home" router/modems. I connected to Comcast in about 5 minutes, simply connecting the cable and then phoning in the MAC address. It works very well. Note: most devices that are more than a year or two old will not connect to the 5G side of the network. However, you will be ready to connect as you upgrade your computers, cell phones, etc., to newer technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this all-in-one product, March 21, 2014
I purchased this cable modem three months ago, primarily because I wanted to try MoCA within my house. Things have generally worked out well. The admin interface to this unit is of extremely high quality. This is the first home network device I've used where I can tweak WiFi radio settings (aggressively) without having to undergo a reboot / power cycle. In fact, I can make configurations settings on the 5 GHz network even if I have a large number of clients working from the 2.4 GHz network or multiple family members streaming video over MoCA connections. Similarly, I can change my firewall settings without causing any service disruption to the house. Excellent engineering, folks.

Unfortunately, Comcast pushed a firmware update to its customers this February. Beyond rebranding the admin UI from Motorola to Arris, it broke several features. One example is MoCA throughput reporting, which has since registered as zero bps. I assure you it's still working well, and I can only assume it's still clocking in at around 237 MBps, as reported prior to the update. (1080p video streaming still works well, even when I have two endpoints watching different content, via MoCA.) Another example is how this unit "forgets" its reserved DHCP IPv4 addresses. Lots of us do this on fixed endpoints to ensure we have a solid, predictable network in our homes. Should the power get reset, this cable modem dumps all reservations as if there had been a factory reset.

Since returning my old DOCSYS 3.0 rental cable modem and employing this, I've enjoyed a noticeably better experience with Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. There are still times when I experience rebuffering or very low quality streams, but those are almost always during prime time, where I now suspect my cable provider, the content delivery network, etc. This is a big improvement.

And now for WiFi...
5 GHz has been a profound disappointment. It's fast, provided you're within twenty feet of the unit and don't have walls, doors, or floors/ceilings to contend with. This really defeats the point of AC-- something I paid a premium for. Beam forming is interesting, but I've grown used to a roughly ten second lag between two bars and full bars when I connect to the network.

2.4 GHz has performed reliably. That said, neither WiFi radio on this unit is particularly strong. I had to invest in a WiFi extender to cover both floors of my house. I had disappointing results with video streaming, which is where MoCA has saved the day.

My pricey AmpedWirelsss WiFi extender (dual band, wireless N-AC) drops its connection back to the Arris many times a day-- both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz-- but most commonly 5 GHz. This triggers significant frustration in my family on a daily basis. Getting full bars and no connection to the gateway is not okay. Sadly, it's the norm for several minutes at a time, despite all sorts of permutations in settings, channel selections, spectrum analysis, location in the house, etc. I've lost several weekends trying to get this working reliably, and I've become familiar with every neighborhood router by name, band, and signal strength. Regardless of what I do, this cable modem to repeater link is flaky and frustrating.

Were I to do this over again, I'd think twice about any solution which incorporates this cable modem, a WiFi extender, and attempts to deliver N-AC. In practice, it's a simple solution with distinct shortcomings. MoCA is undersold, though. I am very pleased with its performance and reliability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Item for the price, April 17, 2014
I would have given this 5 stars if there were not for one thing, this router/cable modem only makes sense if you are in the market for both at the same time.

As a cable modem it is top tier and deserves 5 stars, but it's not just a modem it's also a router and ARRIS/Motorola makes this exact modem as a standalone modem for a lot less money.

As a router it is very good but defiantly not the best. The web interface is middling compared to my old D-link and nowhere good as my old Linksys WRT. Wireless AC is fast and awesome when it works. It seems to drop out if you have a lot of load on it and might be heat related. Though this is probably my fault the box is in a part of my house that gets a lot of sun. Though I love the dual band because when AC drops out it just jumps back down to N and they only way to notice is in the speed drop.

The range is perfect for my 3 bedroom house, and wired internet is flawless. I do not regret my decision to buy this modem since I had to get a new router and modem at the same time. But if I was only buying one or the other I would have not bought this combo as there are better AC routers out there for around the same price.

Pros:
Once Device For everything
No power brick!!!!
MOCA is a plus
AC is fast when it works

Cons:
Web interface is clunky for advanced settings
Expensive if you don't need both cable modem and router at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this model wins the internet... :), February 17, 2014
When I took it out of the box, I was pleasantly surprised by the size. The surface area is twice that of the previous modem that died on me, and this SBG6782 does not feel hot to the touch, especially as the power AC-DC converter is not a brick that plugs in at the outlet but is contained directly in the modem. I'm, in a word, ecstatic, as my previous modem decided to die on me shortly after a year of use.

The modem was very easy to set up, secure, et cetera, for Comcast activation AND for wi-fi.

5.0Ghz runs very smoothly. For a thrill, I disabled 2.4GHz connectivity as it's not needed for now.

If I had to nitpick, it would be that - for wireless - using 75% output power was needed to maintain top-notch reception. 50% reduced throughput somewhat. That may vary depending on where you live and how your house was structured, of course.

I think this model is a winner, and definitely worth the extra money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great combo cable modem/router., April 23, 2014
I've owned Motorola modems for the last 10 years or so and each one has been great. I recently upgraded my internet speed to 50 mbps and signed up for Netflix streaming. My cable company approves two Motorola combination modems for accessing their high speed service; I bought this one instead of the Motorola HBG6580 because several of the reviews on the 6580 mentioned that the wi-fi signal on it isn't that strong. I have the modem connected by ethernet cable to my computer, and I have a tablet, two PS3s, and a printer connected through wi-fi. All of these devices are getting the maximum wi-fi signal, variously described as 100%, excellent, and all 4 bars. The farthest connection from the modem is the printer, which is in another room about 30 feet and 3 walls distant. The modem has been connected for almost three weeks and there have been no hiccups at all. I get an excellent HD picture and great sound with House of Cards through my PS3. So far, I'm not using any of the advanced functions, so I'm only giving it 4 stars, since I can't talk about those. In the future I might try setting up something more complex, drop the TV portion of my cable subscription, and get my TV programs through my internet connection. I'll post more about this modem if I use more of the functions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great router on Comcast, March 7, 2014
I have had this for 1 week now. I have 25 meg download and 6 up speed. 5 smartphones, 2 iPads, 2 laptops plus my blue ray player and Nintendo wii are all connected. No problems at all. Everywhere in my home we have great speed and signal. The farthest room in the house we were lucky to even connect to our rented modem. This one we get 30 meg download speeds in that room. This was by far a good investment. No more frustrations.

1.0 out of 5 stars ARRIS / Motorola Surfboard SBG6782-AC 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi Router-.., April 30, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Wireless Connectivity-NO Customer Support-WARNING, April 26, 2014
L. B. McKenzie "McKenzie" (Dallas, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
Horrible experience with this product. Bought it to replace 4 year old Netgear WNR3500L; figured we were getting close to failure date. Yet, the Arris/Motorola Surfboard was an awful choice/experience. Here is what I experienced:
1.) No user manual, just a link to an online manual that doesn't exist anymore; just takes you to a site to buy Motorola phones. Googled and found the online PDF manual and tried to set-up Surfboard. Listed "user" and "password" did not work. Tried at least 10 times and finally called the 800-number; only to be informed that I would be charged $40 for them to fix the problem; he did not seem surprised at the problem I was having. When I confirmed that I had to pay $40 for a brand new product that is not working, I hung up on the guy.
2) After doing multiple Google searches, I found that the password Motorola was not to be capitalized, as was listed in the manual. So, an hour after connecting this thing, I was able to log-in.
3) Once up and running, and connecting all my wireless devices (X2 Roku, 3 laptops, Galaxy Tab, X2 Galaxy Notes, X2 Foscam F18910w), I discovered that the devices in the back of the house kept dropping the wireless signal. Checked signal strength on multiple devices and found that the "blazing faster and strong 5ghz signal (that the manual recommends you may turn down as not to blast your neighbors) was barely reaching 2 rooms away and my devices were dropping the signal. Additionally, no matter how I tried to forward ports, trigger ports, or use my original configuration, both of my IP cameras were dropping from the wireless every 2-3 minutes and I could not access them at all on the DDNS; never had any such problems with the Netgear.

After many resets and re-configurations (~8 hours later), I dumped the Surfboard and reconnected my original modem and Netgear WNR3500L...everything back up and running perfectly, signal strength 2X the Surfboard all through the house. I think we will wait for the Netgear AC1750 Modem/WiFi to be released. This thing was a piece of.....work...

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, no problems, August 5, 2014
Chris (Alameda, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
We moved and the old SB6141 that we were getting 28Mbps from in the old house is in a box somewhere that didn't make it to the right destination. We'll probably find it when we unpack the kitchen or something.

We needed something right away so headed down to Best Buy. This was the only integrated solution they offered, so I thought it was at least worth trying.

Back home I plugged in the cable and connected power then watched the light show. After a minute or two most/all of the indicators were green. A while after that the device reset and this time came up with the incoming connection blue.

I connected to the WiFi service with the last few characters matching the information label that came in the box, and used the credentials from the label.

Once connected I hit the only real snag; you can log in to the modem at the default gateway address, so if you look at your Internet settings on your machine (ifconfig on Linux or ipconfig /all on a Windoze cmd shell) you can see a default gateway address. Point a browser at that. According to the very brief documentation the default admin password is "password". It is not. A quick search of the Internet revealed that it should be "motorola".

Once in you can check your cable connection. I had 8 down links and 1 up link.

Now time to call Comcast. They need the model and MAC address. With those they can swap you over to the new device. Which they did in a few seconds. Just call Comcast. You have to do it. The information you need is on the label in the box. The device reset again and we were on.

Forget about the Comcast "chat on-line" option on the web site, that's some Indian (Dale? Hmm, short for what? With that slightly twisted grammar and misunderstanding of irony you are not an American "You have to call 1-888- ", "Great. Thanks" "It was my pleasure". Dude, you did absolutely nothing except ask stupid questions and waste my time.)

I set up the 2.4G and 5G channels, both protected, then wandered around the house. It even works on our back deck.

The SB6141 was achieving 28Mbps wired on the same service in a house 13 miles away, this one is getting 42-45Mbps on wireless. 60% improvement without changing my bill.

If we end up having problems I will update this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Setup info..., July 28, 2014
Amazing speed improvement. I am running a wireless AC connection through a Mac Pro 2013 and the speed difference was apparent the second I hooked this thing up. There are a few things to note about hooking it up though that are important. Thought I would post here:
1) URL to adjust settings is :http://192.168.0.1 (as the manual states)
2) Default Username is: admin (as manual states)
3) Password is: motorola (MANUAL SAID IT WAS PASSWORD), this is incorrect.

I have Xfinity/Comcast. Setup was relatively simple. I connected using the default password that is on the bottom of the unit. Instead of messing with the settings, I just opened a browser window in safari. I had to hit refresh on another page, but a Comcast Setup window came up. It was relatively straightforward...it detected the settings (I didn't have to type in a MAC address or anything) and I was off to the races. If you are using a wireless AC compatible device, make sure you hook up to the "5G" network or you will not get your full speed.

Simply amazing difference. Amazon Prime Video is running in HD with zero lag time. Expensive, but if you have the $$ I couldn't recommend anything more. Much better than what Comcast provided for a wireless AC. Not sure if it is much different for a wireless N network.

Hope that helps... don't forget to change your password!

Rate and Discover Movies