Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem and..." and save 66% off the $149.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $5.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580 Docsis 3.0 Cable Modem and Wi-Fi N600 Router - Retail Packaging - Black
|Price:||$104.50 + $5.54 shipping|
|You Save:||$45.49 (30%)|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Requires CABLE Internet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm
- Compatible with ALL Major CABLE providers like Comcast, Cox, Charter, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House
- Internet download speeds up to 343 Mbps and upload speeds up to 131 Mbps based on your Cable provider service
- Wi-Fi Router - 802.11n, Dual Band (Backwards compatible with 802.11b/g)
- 4 port Gigabit Wired Router
- Ideal for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- Docsis 3.0 with backward compatibility with 2.0 and 1.x
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
From the Manufacturer
Ultra-fast Internet and Wireless N at your fingertips – NEW lightning fast technology lets you surf up to 8x faster than traditional cable modems.
The Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway unleashes the next wave of broadband technology at exceptional speeds with high-performance Wireless N networking and a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet router. The SBG6580 is up to 8 times faster than DOCSIS® 2.0 broadband cable modems making it capable of reaching data rates up to 300 Mbps. That makes gaming, shopping, downloading, working, high-quality voice and video conferencing, and peer-to-peer networking applications — far more realistic, faster, and efficient than ever before. In addition to the lightning fast speeds, the SBG6580 includes an 802.11n wireless access point with dual band capabilities, as well as a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet router. The SBG6580 delivers your complete personal media experience, at lightning-fast broadband speed. So what are you waiting for?
Motorola SURFboard® eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway
Easy to Install, Activate, and Use – Includes a Wi-Fi Wizard and a Wi-Fi pairing button.
Delivers a realistic gaming experience wirelessly – watch as games come to life
Watch as games come to life.
- Capable of downloading up to 8000 times faster than 56k analog phone modems
- Capable of downloading up to 8 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 broadband cable modems
- DOCSIS® 3.0 Certified
- Enables a myriad of advanced multimedia services:
- - Access real-time online games; new heights in realism and speed - wirelessly
- Faster music downloads; one song or the entire album
- Share digital photos, home movies and other multimedia effortlessly over the Internet or over your Wi-Fi network
- Download high-definition movies to your PC or watch as streaming media
- Windows®, Macintosh®, and UNIX® compatible
- Supports Advanced Encryption Services for data, as activated by your operator
- Features a four-port 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Port for incredible wired network speeds: enjoy lag-free network gaming and faster file transfers
- Wireless N Networking with Dual Band Wi-Fi
- Intuitive, easy to read front panel operational status LEDs
- Use your current Internet Browser
- No additional software required
- Slim design saves desk space
- 1-year limited warranty
What’s in the Box
Inside the Box - Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway,Motorola’s Wi-Fi Wizard & Installation CD-ROM,Quick start guide,Ethernet cable,Power adapter and cord,Install sheet,Warranty card
Package Quantity: 1 | Style Name: Black
Top Customer Reviews
|Length: 4:43 Mins|
BIG PLUS to this unit: You do not have to buy a seperate WIRELESS N ROUTER which saves about $100 or so additional cost. Some have said they bought the lesser Motorola unit and then bought an extra Wireless N router. This seems like an unneccessary expense to me.
Things to know:
This modem will ONLY work for CABLE-delivered Internet such as Comcast Xfinity (tm) and some other ISP's using CABLE Internet signals. It will NOT work on AT&T UVerse network (because UVerse uses a hyped-up DSL technology)
1. Unbox unit
2. Connect AC Power Adapter to wall (recommend plugging into UPS power supply)- plug the other end into the back of this router.
3. Connect COAX cable from ISP wall plate to your modem. This is the same hexagonal cable connector type as used to connect to CABLE TV.
4. Grab the included cat 5e ETHERNET CABLE (looks similar to a telephone cable) and plug one end into your laptop or PC and one end into one of the 4 ethernet jacks on the back of the unit.
5. If you don't have an ETHERNET jack on your laptop or PC you'll be going wireless - run the included INSTALLATION CD and follow the directions.
6. Open your webrowser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc) and type in the modem address 192.168.100.1 then enter your username-- admin and password-- motorola and hit login button.
7. You'll be looking at a web-based SETUP SCREEN with TABS from left to right.
8. Click on FIREWALL tab, locate the IP FLOOD DETECTION checkbox and UNTICK IT (remove the checkmark) then click on the APPLY button.
9. Pick up phone and call your ISP.Read more ›
That said, the SBG6580 is a solid piece of kit.
This latest addition to the SURFboard line combines a DOCSIS 3 cable modem with a gigabit switch and a dual-antenna 802.11n wireless access point, providing all the networking equipment a home office needs in a single compact package... this amounts to a single point of failure, but that's par for the residential course. It can deliver 42 mbps downstream on a single channel (which my provider brands "Lightning") with support for eight bonded channels... meaning that when the day comes that ISPs start selling triple-digit speeds, this gateway won't need to be replaced.
Wi-Fi performance has been comparable to my old draft n router with similar range and throughput in a mixed mode environment. What sets the SBG6580 apart are its better indicator lights and superior configuration utility which offers some settings normally found only on enterprise-grade equipment. Those less inclined to tinker should know that push-button support is provided; once the cable guy finished with the wall outlet, setup took less than five minutes.
Finally, one word of caution: the SBG6580 needs airflow. I originally placed it flush against a similarly-sized backup hard drive on my desk and found the unit hot to the touch after a few hours. To avoid problems, do not block the vents.
*Short Version Guide:*
Go to 192.168.0.1, type in the username- admin and the password- motorola and look at the page that first appears (should be the Connection page). There should be three tables, look at the second one. Locate the Power column. If your power levels are negative, or if they're not within the range of -8dBmV and +8dBmV (meaning they are 9 or 10, or -9 or -10), you might have a problem. Now look at the third table and locate the power column. If your power levels are higher than 50dBmV, you might have a problem.
If it's not working well (meaning it works, but keeps disconnecting), it might look something like this- [Picture uploaded to costumer photos]
First thing you *should* do, although optional, is call Motorola support line. I've found them to have a great support line, and they'd be able to pinpoint the problem for you- their number is 1877-466-8646.
What they would probably tell you to do, and what you can do anyway if you don't want to call them, is to call your cable company support line. What you need is a technician to come over to your house and check all of your cable lines, to try and see why the power levels are bad, and the replace the cable or instrument that is malfunctioning (most likely not your modem, don't worry).Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
False advertising, this piece of junk only allows up to 100 mbps and frequently stops working.Published 9 hours ago by Nicole
Easy to setup and maintain. Periodic problems with wi-fi network, but after turning off wi-fi network and using just as a gateway, it works fabulous. Read morePublished 10 hours ago by Concerned Citizen
Failed after 14 months of use. Worked well up until that point.Published 18 hours ago by Amazon Customer
Nice wireless modem that will pay for itself after the first year of use. Easy to set up and it seems to have good range in my house even through walls. Read morePublished 1 day ago by R Magid
Product is excellent, no issues with lost signal. Love that I don't have to pay Comcast to rent one of theirs. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Aleksas
item was not in original packaging; item was not reburbished; item was damaged.Published 1 day ago by thomasoliverio
I bought this in Sept and the warranty on the bottom said Nov on it...This died within 5 months and cannot be returned. This was a waste of money-buy it full price from Best Buy.Published 1 day ago by kmw
One of the best Modem/Router Combo in its class range and value for money.
Docsis 3.0 with back compatibility, good range coverage and Non DSL product.