5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Yet High Quality Phono Preamp
Published on June 20, 2007 by H. Kane

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Pre-amp for the Money
Published on January 5, 2010 by Six String Looper

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Yet High Quality Phono Preamp, June 20, 2007
This review is from: ART DJPRE II Phono Preamplifier RCA Type Input and Output Switchable Low Cut Filter (Electronics)
Recently I sold off my high end stereo preamp and power amp to transition to a multichannel home theater environment. The stereo preamp had a very nice phono stage and after reviewing the specs and prices on countless generic and hybrid phono preamps I decided to take a chance on the ART DJ Pre II. Am I glad I did. Even though I was prepared to drop some serious cash on one of the more esorteric audiophile preamps I had wondered whether any inexpensive phono preamp could provide reasonable playback quality.

As I'm now streaming audio and video to my home theatre from my home computer network (via wired ethernet) I wanted a simple device that would enable me to playback and/or digitize my LP collection (numbering over 1000 albums). After interfacing the ART DJ Pre II to my home brew computer's Audigy 2 music card via a quality shielded mini-cable and adjusting and matching the signal levels appropriately on both the preamp and my computer software I was pleasantly surprised at the purity of reproduction.

While this arrangement may not approach the most sophisticated levels of vinyl reproduction possible, for one who attends live orchestral music concerts and plays SACD's on a regular basis the ART DJ comes darn close. When adding the fact that I've avoided spending several thousand dollars on an audiophile quality phono preamp I'm left with a very pleasant smile on my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp, August 6, 2007
Our Kenwood receiver and turntable are probably 14 or 15 years old in excellent condition, but I upgraded the receiver. As goes technology, the turntable was not compatible with the new receiver.

The ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp was just what my home theater sales associate recommended, not by brand, but he told me what I needed and boy was it the ticket.

I just plugged it in and I was back in action.

User friendly for the over 50, excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value.........., January 11, 2007
J. Wright "jwright347" (tallahassee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I'm really happy with this puppy. My records never sounded so good and I especially like the input gain control. My old preamp only had a low-med-high gain switch which didn't allow precise input levels. If you use different cartridges/turntables, you'll appreciate the gain control.

Not exactly sure what the capacitance switch does as I can't tell any difference in either setting. It may help with some cartridges. The rumble filter might work with some turntables but doesn't seem to make any difference with my DUAL which has extremely low rumble. The yellow lights are pretty anyway.

I'm no expert but I think this is a very good buy. Very well made and I think you'd have to spend a lot more money to improve the sound. BTW, I use several DUAL turntables, Ortofon cartridges, M-Audio USB external sound device, Monster cables.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Find, March 31, 2012
After spending a few dollars (thousands) on many different phono preamplifiers over the years, I am simply amazed at the sound of this little phono preamp. I have used "high end" tube phono preamps to the "entry level" type including the Parasound Zphono, Music Fidelity V-LPS w/V-PSU Power Supply (not really entry level after adding the upgrade power supply unit) and the "very entry level" audio-technica AT-PEQ3. I am currently listening to the ART DJPRE II which prompted me to write this review. Simply put, very musical, transparent, fast, everything is there. Having features like gain trim control, analog input capacitance switching and switchable low cut filter are just icing on the cake. To my ear I it betters phono preamps of up to $1,000.00 maybe more. For well under a hundred dollars simply amazing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Pre-amp for the Money, January 5, 2010
If you're looking for a good phono pre-amp under $100 then this is worth looking at. The sound decent to good (not terrific to incredible) and if you have a lower gain output cartridge (moving coils instead of moving magnets) then there's a good amount of gain to give you more output. Though if you have a moving coil cartridge you're probably not looking at a preamp this cheap. On the downside, there is a power light on the face of the unit that is on as long as the unit is plugged in and it's pretty bright. There's no power switch to turn the unit off, so it's constantly consuming power unless you unplug it. Which I would think would be bad for the longevity of the unit. Also, to make it smaller they've put the DC power converter on the power plug of the unit which means it's got a pretty big wall wart. Overall I feel good about the purchase and the sound is respectable for the price. I just wish it had a power button and I don't understand the need for a power light if the unit is always on when plugged in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Features and Value, October 7, 2009
DanielPC (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product specifically for the adjustable gain and clip signal LED for use with an early 80s relatively high-end vintage turntable with a very modern receiver. I was having issues where clipping, which is not necessarily audible and can vary greatly between different LPs, was triggering my receiver's protection circuit. Other preamps with an adjustable gain and switchable impendence with subsonic filters if needed, can cost considerably more than this unit's $50 price tag. As far I a can tell, other than similar products from ART, this may very well be the only unit on the market with a visual clip signal, which is a great feature for quick fine-tuning of individual LPs. So far, this unit fits my needs perfectly. The LEDs are very bright, but I keep this unit relatively out of sight, yet readily accessible. I cannot tell you how this unit compares to audiophile grade ones running $300 - $1,500, but I have owned a couple of different preamps and from what I can tell with the use of a Grado Gold1 cartridge, the music remains detailed and the range remains dynamic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound, May 7, 2012
Ronin (North America) - See all my reviews
I really like the way this pre-amp brings vinyl to life. It goes perfectly with my Grado Prestige Black phono cartridge.

I deducted one star for the blinding Eye of Sauron that lights up my living room day and night.

4.0 out of 5 stars great sounding phono preamp, April 1, 2010
without this preamp, i could barely hear the music from playing a vinyl record thru my pioneer 919AH-k AV receiver, and the sound was weak and flat no matter how high of volume i used. with the DJ Pre II preamp, the record now plays with excellent loudness and hi-fidelity. the adjustable gain knob gives the ability to match the preamp output with the sensitively of the receiver. the instructions with the unit are very minimal. the are two lighted buttons: low cutoff filter, and capacitance adjustment, but there is no directions on how to determine the best setting, and i can't tell the difference whether the buttons are on or off. the unit is attractive and appears well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, Low Price, December 3, 2009
Peter Martin (Valparaiso, Indiana) - See all my reviews
About a year ago, I got a great deal on a 7 speaker surround sound system that was a vast improvement over my old (as in 20 years old) two-speaker stereo. The only catch was that the system did not come with a phono input and I still have over 100 LPs from the days of my youth. This fall, I decided it was time to start listening to records again, so I started shopping around on-line. I stumbled upon the ART DJ Pre II Phono Preamp and its more sophisticated sibling, the ART V2 USB Phono Plus DJ Preamp. I opted for the lower tech version (without USB, optical, and other output options) because my computer's sound card has RCA inputs and because I primarily just want to listen, not convert my old LPs and because I liked the $44. price tag on the Pre II. It took less than 10 minutes to have it on-line and playing an old favorite. It has a simple interface of an output knob, two in-out buttons for the input limiter and the low-end cut (to reduce rumble) and a VERY bright blue power light. I chose an 1960s release of Debussy favorites that had seen a LOT of play in my childhood on less than audiophile quality turntables. I was impressed at how little noise came through the system and was very pleased with the over-all results. Although I am a musician and love music of all kinds, I need to tell you that my ears often are unoffended by little things that my more discerning friends find fault with. I want to hear the music with as little background noise (hiss, pop, or rumble) as possible and the ART DJ Pre II does that for me. I did not need to the input cap or low cut filters that toggle on an off on the front of the unit, it just sounds great on my system. There are just two things I would like to change about it. I am a very power-conscious person and there is no on/off switch on the unit. Furthermore, it is a DC powered unit with an inverter brick that also stays warm whether the unit is in use or not. Eventually, I will rearrange my power strip for my entire system so that I can kill the power when I am not using it, but it annoys me that the unit can't be a little "greener". and speaking of colors, the ultra-blue LED power light actually hurts my eyes to look at it. I will probably solve this problem with a piece of electrical tape. A quarter the brightness would give me the information that I need: that is whether or mot the unit has power. Still, I am pleased with the unit and give it a qualified thumbs-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little black box, great value, May 30, 2008
I bought this product several months ago to transfer my LPs to digital files. The preamp produces a clean amplification, with the added benefit of several tunning options. With Gain Trim you can adjust the amplification according to the volume of the source.

You can also adjust the Input Capacity to either 100 and 200 pFarads.

One of the most useful setting it has is a Low Cut (High Pass) filter that allows all frequencies above 80 Hz to pass while blocking lower frecuencies. This gadget, when turned on, will kill the annoying rumble of your LP player. My LP player (a Technics) had a low frequency noise that is cut when you use the Low Cut producing a cleaner recording. A great gadget.

By the way I use Audacity as my recording software together with this amplifier and this works just fine.

A great purchase.