Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on February 16, 2012
For reference, I currently run 20-30 miles per week averaging 7-9 miles per run. I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs. I recently purchased the Kahana 5 on short notice to complete the 8.5 mile Super Spartan in Southern CA. I have since used the shoes on two trail runs of 9 miles each. Pros: the shoe tread pattern has excellent traction with very little slippage even on steep slopes. The shoe is very comfortable right out of the box with no break-in required. Great price. Cons: compared to my Asics Kayano 17's, the Kahana 5 is not as supportive. The Kahana 5 does not have much rigidity in the sole and no nylon plate. After 8-9 miles, I simple feel more foot fatigue in the Kahana 5 than the Kayano 17. In short, it's a good trail shoe at a great price for runs up to 8-9 miles, but I would not run farther than that in these shoes.
on August 10, 2011
First of all, I'm not a runner, so I can't speak for those conditions. I purchased these shoes because I'm on my feet all day at work. I was looking for something that was comfortable and had good traction, and these shoes fit the bill perfectly.

Aesthetics: I purchased the subdued black/charcoal pair, and I really like the simple looks with a little bit of silver thrown in for flair. The have the classic Asics design on both sides, though the inside and outside have a different look to give it some variance, which is cool if you like that kind of thing.

Fit and Feel: These shoes have a nice wide toe-box which is great for those with wider feet (doesn't really apply to me, but the extra room is nice.) The fit is really nice, pretty standard for a running shoe in my experiences. What I really love about these shoes is the cushioning. I tried on just about every pair of Asics I could find, as well as a few select pairs from other brands as well. The Kahana's by far offered the softest cushioning of any shoe. Both the heel and forefoot have a wonderfully soft and cradling feel with each step. While others I'm sure wouldn't like that and prefer more stability, it's perfect for me being on my feet all day.

Price point: These shoes are a great value in my opinion. In comparison to many shoes that were equal in price, and many that were also significantly more expensive, these were still the most comfortable shoes I tried on. While they might not offer all the supposed bells and whistles others may claim, the proof for me was in the footsteps, and these offered me the best of what I was looking for.

Summary: If you're looking for super soft cushioning and amazing comfort, these shoes are definitely worth taking a look at. The comfort to price point ratio is very favorable. I'd highly recommend these shoes.
on August 27, 2011
I had researched these shoes online and in stores and really liked them for their arch support, heel cup support, impact absorption, and high traction design of the sole. I couldn't find my size in any local stores so I researched purchasing them online. I was hesitant at first to do this since I was unable to try them on in a size that fit to make my final purchase decision. Amazon offered the shoe in my size, cheaper than I could find the same model locally, had a free shipping offer, and a no hassle return policy if they did not fit. The shoes arrived within the delivery time frame quoted at checkout and fit perfectly. Another thing I noticed when comparing them to other shoes I own is how light they are. Between the excellent support, cushioning, impact absorption, and light weight I feel like I am running on air.
on July 20, 2012
I looked everywhere for a mix between stability and cushioning to no avail. Tried, New Balance, Nike -- finally switched to ASICS and ran in the Nimbus and Keyanus (or however you spell it) for a year or two each and I didn't like either (I am 5'10" and 170lbs, which is a bit light for both, I believe). I run approx 20+ miles per week and run a marathon a year. The only reason I have been able to maintain my mileage is because of this shoe. For me, given my running nuances, this shoe has been phenomenal. I have run several halfs and one full marathon in the Kahanas with zero issues.

I read some reviews that they fall apart quickly, wear down etc. Some of it is true, but for the past 4 years of running in this shoe, I have consistently obtained 6 months of 20+ miles a week out of each pair. I actually buy two pairs at a time and rotate them, giving me about a year. Other running shoes cost about $120+ per pair. I get two pairs for that with the Kahana and get twice the mileage out of it. After a year, however, my Kahanas are worn down to the nubs on the bottom, but I have never had the fabric or any other part of the shoe fail. I run on trails as well, which beats the shoes up pretty good -- still, I have yet to have a pair fall apart and I have been through 10-12 pairs.

This shoe is not like the GT 2160 or 2170s that ASICS has. Those are true stability shoes and so their ride is much stiffer (I tried a pair and they gave me knee/ankle problems). Again, the Gel-Kahana is a mix between the stability and cushioning. Highly recommended.
on August 10, 2012
For $39.21 and free shipping I gave them 5 stars.

They are comfortable.

The Black/Titanium/Red is a nice look. Maybe they make me look like I'm only 40.

The traction is nice and sticky but the soles probably wont last long walking on asphalt.

I wear a size 11 and these fit but I would have liked to try a wider shoe as I have widish feet.

The arch support is very good.

Made in Vietnam. Shoe box is recycled cardboard.

Update after 3 months: these are my go-to shoes because they are comfortable in any condition.
Update after 7 months: soles are holding up better than expected!
VINE VOICEon June 5, 2012
I am not a runner and didn't buy this shoe for athletic use. I stand all day for my work, and wanted a comfortable pair of shoes. These are quite good in that regard, and the gel is really nice, especially when walking or running (little sprints and such in my case). They are light weight and grip well also. Unfortunately, they are a bit narrow and tight, especially in the upper portion of the shoe. I previously wore New Balance and that brand tends to run a little wider even in standard widths. Although this shoe is fine for all day wear, it would have been great if it was just a bit wider, and I don't have it laced tight either. All in all a good shoe at a great price. Made in Vietnam.
on June 2, 2012
Right out of the box, these shoes look like they are ready to go for a run! The tread looks like something you'd see on an all-terrain tire. Seriously. These shoes will keep a grip in rain, sleet, snow, and hail. Plus, the shoe puts a bounce in my step. There's an air/gel cushion built into the sole too.

I ordered the 4E version for my wide feet. The 4E version is a bit snug but good enough for walking/running. After breaking them in for a few weeks, the shoes should loosen up.

The shoe has solid ankle support and should protect your ankles during running/hiking. The front of the shoe is fabric so your feet can breath during exercise.

The only possible flaw I've found is the length of the shoe laces. They should be longer in the 4E version.

This is a great walking, running, or hiking shoe. I'm happy with my purchase.
on May 23, 2012
I've had these for about a month and have found them comfortable, durable, and perfect for a few different roles.

These things feel like walking on pillows, which is great for wearing daily for errands and work, but terrible for running on a treadmill or on pavement. The first time I ran with these, I tested them on a treadmill for five miles and ended up bruising the outside of my right foot because I was trying to counter the ample cushioning with more push-off. When running on hard terrain, these feel like running in sand with a lot of energy lost.

However, when running cross-country, these are great! The cushioning helps absorb big hits from rocks. These are the first trail-running shoes I've worn that I've felt comfortable looking ahead instead of down when I'm running. I was able to click off five miles pretty comfortably over a local trail that has some steep grades and a lot of uneven terrain. My knees and ankles felt good, but more important was that my feet were free from getting beat down.

In terms of fit, the wides are definitely wide, offering almost too much room for my toes to open up and really grab at the ground. This extra room allows the heel to slip if I don't get them laced perfectly. These are among the only shoes I've ever had to lace with a paratrooper's knot to get them secure, but the extra effort is worth the extra room when the miles start piling on. In my opinion, the compromise between a slightly too generous fit and day-long comfort is a good one if you learn how to tie your shoes right.

I've clocked about 60 trail miles and about probably another 20 miles while wearing them around town. The little knobbies on the bottom have just started wearing off and I'm a big guy: 5'11" and 240lb. I have no doubt I'll be able to get a full 300-500 miles out of these. I've had no issues with the sole peeling free, the rubber cap coming off, or any tears in the fabric. These things seem fairly bomb-proof.

All in all, for the price, these shoes can't be beat! I'm going to be ordering another pair to wear exclusively with jeans to replace my standard skates. Yeah: I've become one step closer to full-blown suburbia, but at least my feet will be super comfortable as my wardrobe fits better and includes a color known as "f-ing khaki."
on April 18, 2012
These shoes seem to be the right size (10.5 4E) and have good cushioning.

The only problem I have with them is their lack of friction. When wet and walking on a smooth or semi-smooth surface they are very slippery. It is spring time and there is frequent rain here. When coming in from the rain and walking on a semi-smooth stone floor I have to watch my footing as there is little traction.

Even when dry and standing on a tile floor my feet slowly slide apart. I am young and can compensate for poor wet traction but someone older who can not may want to look elsewhere for a good shoe.
on April 9, 2014
Asics run true to size so they are easy to buy on-line. My husband wears a size 13, so not easy to find his size locally. These shoes are comfortable right out of the box, no break in period needed. They are light weight and breathable. They do not have greatest support--so he puts insoles in them. He wears them on gravel and dirt trails often--so they only last about 6 months.