1,011 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars ASICS Gel-Kayano 19 - The Legacy Continues
I used to be an avid Gel-Kayano user, but for some reason I strayed from the path. For the past few years I have used other brand named running shoes. I needed a new pair of shoes and realized that I should get the latest pair of the Gel-Kayanos, the 19.

After getting these shoes, I realized something. I am an idiot for leaving these shoes...
Published on November 15, 2012 by Tank Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Newest design lacks forefoot cushion
I have been a long-time Asics purchaser (15+ years), and owned several pairs of Kayano 17 and 18 prior to this purchase.

Published 14 months ago by michael s flaherty

5.0 out of 5 stars ASICS Gel-Kayano 19 - The Legacy Continues, November 15, 2012

Putting them on for the first time, I thought that they would be too firm. But once I started my run, all insecurities were gone. There is a reason that this is the 19th version of this shoe, it's fantastic.

The ride is great, the look is eye catching (lime green trim!) I'm a larger runner, and the feel and support of this shoe is great. I will never stray from the Gel-Kayano again!

Update: 12/11/2012
Just bought my second pair...can't get enough of this shoe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Newest design lacks forefoot cushion, September 24, 2013

In using the Kayano 19, I noticed a substantial difference in the comfort and degree of forefoot cushioning using these newer shoes on the same running trails. I may be wrong; however, it appears in comparing past models next to the K-19 that Asics has reduced the amount / expanse of forefoot gel. Given my riding stride and degree of impact I make on my forefoot, I noticed a greater degree of discomfort and even foot blistering with the k-19 as compared to previous models. I am not a fan of the latest model and may rethink my commitment to Asics as this shoe fell far short of expectations.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Kayano models yet!, May 2, 2013
I've been buying the Asics Kayan0 line for many years. I've had the 16, 17, 18, and now, 19's. This one is definitely one of the better ones and I am very pleased with them. If you read some of the running websites, the reviews are that the last couple of models were better but I disagree. They may not be quite and structured with the same support but they are close. Actually, I find with a little less support and more cushion, I get a better and more comfortable run. I'm 5'9 170# so not necessarily a "runners build" and usually need a more supportive shoe but I find this one is just right. I'd definitely recommend them and will be buying more pairs for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aside from misleading width (I am 2E but had to get a second pair of 4E), the GEL-Kayano 19 lives up to its pedigree., June 11, 2013
After trying foam cushioning (Puma, Adidas) in my younger years, moving on to air-cushioning (Nike) in my 40s and moving back to foam (Brookes, Mizuno) in my 50s, my collapsing 60-yr old arches needed more support, and my longer runs (I'm now moving into full marathon distances) needed cushioning that stayed soft with increase of temperature. ASICS' gel technology did just that (gel softens with temperature rise beyond 15K), while the firm structure around the ankle and Achilles tendon gave stability a new meaning: more like a firm but gentle "hug". I first got a pair of GEL-Kayano 17 for my road runs, retiring an older pair of Brookes for treadmill work. But the Kayano 17 was just too good on the feet that I soon was using them for the treadmill too (as roadwork became a minimum). So when the Kayano 19 came out, it was a no-brainer to get a pair asap. I've used them only once on a 34Km road run 2 Sundays ago and they made me forget my aging feet and ankles. The lower heel-to-toe height gradient (vs. older models) and lighter weight are great for roadwork. I am 60 yrs old, weigh 160lbs, do triathlon and boxing, training 5x a week mostly on a lapping pool, treadmill and a time-trial bike on a trainer in my basement (I am a Catholic priest and professor of Canon Law, so can't afford time to go out to train). For a senior citizen athlete in need of stability, the GEL Kayano is a worthwhile investment.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Quality of Kayano Has Dropped, June 27, 2013
Kayano has been my go-to running shoe for the four previous marathon seasons, but the latest generation, Kayano 19, is surpisingly disappointing. I was attracted to the Kayano line and stuck with it because these shoes offered plenty of support, stability and cushioning for long runs.

The soles in Kayano 19 feel softer than its predecesors and the overall shoe seems to have far less support. My overall sense is that the latest model feels like a cheaper version of Kayano 18, and I will have to look for an alternative that offers more support.

I had a great run with Kayano, but my sense is Asics built considerable market share in this series, then started to cut the quality and pocket the difference. Does anyone have any suggestions for comparable stability shoes with lots of cushioning?

5.0 out of 5 stars Is There A Reason To Buy Any Other Shoe..., December 9, 2012
I don't think there's a reason to look anywhere else. At 5'11" and 185lbs, this shoe gives me the perfect amount of structure without being too cushioned (like the Nimbus). The shoe is incredibly comfortable and light and IMO gives a great ride that lets me feel what I'm running on, which as a quiet runner is perfect. I've been running in Kayanos for years and the only thing I'm guilty of is pushing the upper limit of miles before getting a new pair but these things just wear so well for you that you don't want to give them up. I wouldn't run in anything else but Asics and you get what you pay for so why not invest in a great pair of shoes for your body. As a foot note, I've got the Black/Lightning/Blue color and they look damn sharp offering some flavor without sticking out like a safety cone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best assics, February 6, 2013
I am a fan of assics running shoes.. But this is the best assics for a beginner and flat foot runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Running Shoes, February 25, 2013
FINAL REVIEW:

Its been a great shoe. I noticed my pinky toe starting to bulge out the side a bit. If I could Id like to try on a pair of 2e or 4e shoes sometime. The tread wear on these shoes vs. previous Kayanos is a little different. I noticed it wear more on the palms of my feet and edges more. Maybe my form got better OR perhaps it was moving to Michigan and running in neighborhoods more.

I should have upgraded sooner but was waiting to feel pain in my feet to indicate that it was time. Usually I'd buy a new pair 4-6 months of running. Today was the day with sharp daggers in my left foot palm that shot through to the top side. Im now moving onto the Kayano 21 Light show hopefully by Thursday.

INITIAL POST BELOW:

Kayanos have been the "go-to" running shoe for me since the 14s. I was rolling my ankles every run with Nike Shox, lacking comfort in Solomons, and the only shoe that gave me ease of mind and way less pain has been my Kayanos.

So far so good. Just got the new 19s because I was starting to get shin splints in my right leg/ankle in my older 18s shoes.
I weigh 215ish lbs and run about 90+ miles a month - 6.5miles at a time. I'm sharing my size and routine because my 18s only lasted about 5 months till I started getting shin splints, and heard weight/mileage to be a contributing factor.

The 19s feel more light weight, more "grippy" (maybe because they are new), and It feels as though the shoe is correcting my role onto the outer edges of my feet more. Not in a weird way where I feel like Im going to roll my ankle or anything.

I have not experienced arch issues in these shoes yet and no burning sensations like I've read in some of the few negative posts which made me look for the 18s in stores but decided to try the 19s anyways.

I did go a half size up this time to 11s. They felt better, hope I dont regret it later. I also like that Asics is putting some love into the Kayano design/aesthetics a bit more and hope to see more. I like a flashy shoe for athletics, the neon green highlights is a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shoe, April 25, 2013
The ASICS men's gel-Kayano running shoe is comfortable, lightweight, fits as expected, and provides support. As a result, I'd recommend the shoe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, December 15, 2013
I have a Kayano 17 for rmore than 2 years, and it was my best shoe ever. I expected the 19 version to follow the steps, but unfortunately it wasn't .
I run about 30 to 40 km per week, but with this model I started to get joint pains, and even a bubble in my left foot (just after the first 10 to 20 km!!!)
The gel seems too hard, and the left insole (or the sole itself) does not feel equal as the right one.
I expect to adapt to the shoes, but with the previous model it was an instant fit.
Let's wait, and see....