5.0 out of 5 stars Different Than Previous Nimbus Models, But Also Better
The Nimbus 12 is new for 2010 and is a worth successor to the excellent Nimbus 11. If you are a neutral runner (with maybe slightly higher arches) that optimizes for comfort over distance ahead of absolute speed this is a good shoe for you or at least a good shoe for you to train in to avoid injuries.

The Nimbus line is one of Asics franchise shoes; it is at...
Published on March 29, 2010 by Rugger Burke

Bought this shoes and first time I used they were great!
They are comfortable a feel wonderful.

Published on March 18, 2011 by Igor

5.0 out of 5 stars Different Than Previous Nimbus Models, But Also Better, March 29, 2010
Rugger Burke (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews

The Nimbus line is one of Asics franchise shoes; it is at the higher end of cost and purpose made for running. Note that there is little lateral support, so if you are cross-training in other sports you may need another pair of shoes. The Nimbus is particularly well suited for high-mileage runners (those running 25 miles or more a week) and those with a "neutral" gate and slightly higher arches - there is greater cushioning for the arches.

For background, I am 6'1", 175, and run three to six miles several days a week - 2/3rds of the time on a treadmill and 1/3 of the time outside. Some seasons I kick up the miles for a marathon, but in general running is part of a cross training program. I have traditionally, oscillated between New Balance and Asics, but tend to favor Asics (in part because the numbering system used by New Balance makes it more challenging to find the same types of shoes from year to year). The Nimbus 12s are probably my 5th or 6th iteration with the Nimbus line.

When you first see these in person you will notice two changes from previous versions:
1. more flash
2. an asymmetrical lacing pattern
The toe caps and portions of the shoe are shiny and look jazzier (to some maybe more expensive) than previous versions. The asymmetrical lacing pattern means that the laces follow an angle from the front of the shoe to the back, rather than the traditional parallel line (along the middle) from front to back. In theory this is to follow the contour of your foot more closely for comfort. Personally, I cannot feel a real difference, but I don't cinch my laces very tightly either, and the tongue of the shoe tends to provide enough cushion from the laces. Would rate this as much marketing as a value add feature.

The real difference from earlier versions is evident when you put them on. Instead of your foot sitting on a traditional wedge of foam, your heel actually sinks lower into the footbed of the shoe. At first they feel almost a little big, like you are wearing a low top shoe that comes up to your ankle and is also one size too large. But your foot also feels like you just slid into a well fitted shoe - strange paradox that is a little disorienting...until you go for a run.

Running is where these really stand out. If you are looking for cushioning, these are the softest version of the Nimbus yet. Running on a treadmill or anything short of hard cement and you will feel like you are running on soft earth. Not so soft that you feel like you are running on sand, but soft earth - like a well kept grass soccer field. The clunky feeling that you felt in first trying them on disappears and they feel great. You can run many miles and your feet still feel good. On the flip side, if you feel that the cushioning robs you of energy, then would suggest another shoe.

Two asides: (1) if you are new to Asics, most people order one size larger than their street shoe - ie, if you where a 10 in regular shoes, you may need and 11 and (2) maybe in the minority on this, but I continue to be bothered that the stock insoles on the Nimbus are pathetic. For a shoe you are investing more than $120 in, the insoles are barely better than cardboard. But almost all running shoes suffer from this issue, so I am not deducting a star for this.

In summary, if you like the Asics feel, these are significantly different from previous iterations externally and internally, but an excellent shoe overall.

Hope this review helps you.

Rugger Burke (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews

1. more flash
2. an asymmetrical lacing pattern

Hope this review helps you.

5.0 out of 5 stars New on Asics, quite impressed., November 1, 2010
Alvaro Roberto Calix Fernandez (MIAMI, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
First of all let me begin telling you that I'm new to the Asics Brand. I did the terrible mistake of believing all running shoes were similar, therefore didn't pay much attention to brand, just a correct fit for my underpronation.
And Yes, what I mistake I made.
I'm not a marathoner or intend to be, I categorize myself as an individual who tries to have a somewhat healthy or active lifestyle and not be surprised by a heart attack in my mid 40's.
I jog around 6 kms (3.7 miles) per day and wear out my running shoes approximately each 6 months (my last pair was a NB 767).
Been feeling a bit of pain in my lower back and knee in the last couple of months, so a friend of mine recommended changing to a cushioning type of running shoe.
After doing my internet research, I stumbled upn the Asics Nimbus 12 model, and got some great reviews of it.
So I took the chance and ordered them.
The minute I tried them on, I felt amazingly well, my feet felt like cuddled, supported and cushioned. Then I went out and did my daily jog.
Not only I got less tired, but felt no pain.
So, considering that I'm not into fads or anything like that, I strongly recommend this par of running shoes if u haven't made up your mind.
I know that my next pair of shoes will be Asics Nimbus....

4.0 out of 5 stars Another solid shoe from Asics, November 26, 2010
The Gel-Nimbus 12 is very comfortable and has excellent cushioning. It's also a very breathable shoe (I live in Florida so it's a must for me). I recently did a 22 mile long run w/these shoes and had no issues. My only two complaints are:

1. I wish there was a better selection of colors for this shoe.
2. The inside area of the shoe that supports the Achilles tendon seems to wear out quickly if I wear cotton socks.

Previously, I was wearing Asics Kayano 15, however, after about 100 miles I started getting runner's knee and calf cramps on my runs. At first, I couldn't figure out the cause of my injuries, but then a friend recommended that I get a shoe that works for my foot type (flat feet). The Asics Kayano 15 is rated as a 'Stability' shoe. I needed a 'Neutral-Cushioned' shoe, so I bought the Gel-Nimbus 12 and have not had any sign of runner's knee or calf cramps since.

3.0 out of 5 stars This shoes are designed to correct for suppination and Foot Locker is the worst, March 18, 2011
Bought this shoes and first time I used they were great!
They are comfortable a feel wonderful.

However, after using them for three runs I started feeling a ridiculous pain inside my lag, just next to my calf. I did not change anything in my running routine, only the shoes. So I went on line and found that this shoes were designed to compensate for suppination (which is actually a very unusual orthopedics problem).
I went back to my Mizzunos and the pain is gone!
So I would recommend the shoes if you suppinate, but if you don't, don't buy the shoes or you will end up getting hurt.

Also, don't buy it from Foot Locker online. Their costumer care is terrible and if you have any problems with the shoes it will be just a hassle. Unless you are 200% sure of what you want and the have the best price out there, buying online with them is an overall bad experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for Wide Feet, July 2, 2010
I've used the Nimbus 10 in the gym for the last couple of years, and found them to be quite nice, so I decided this year to go with the updated ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 12 Running Shoe. I'm hoping to use one pair of these for walking around outside (several miles a day for my "commute") and one in the gym.

To be honest, I cannot feel a huge difference between it and the Nimbus 10. My older shoes feel looser and less supportive, but that's to be expected over time. They've aged well, and I expect the Nimbus 12 shoes will perform as good or better.

I have wide feet, so I bought the 4E - Extra Wide version. Many companies make wide shoes as well, but often they end up with too little or too much room in the toe box for me. Somehow, these shoes fit me perfectly. I've also had good experiences with the wide versions of New Balance shoes. However, they tend to feel a little heavier and not quite as firm.

Before purchasing these I wanted to give other shoes a chance too. I tried out the ASICS: Gel-Cumulus 11, ASICS: GT-2150, and the Brooks: Adrenaline GTS. None of them gave me the firm, supported feel that the Nimbus had, and it was an easy decision in the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great running shoe to absorb long road miles-, December 13, 2010
I am an average size and average runner at 5' 11 and ~170lbs, with my weekly mileage being ~35 miles. Footwear is the single most important part of a runner's gear, costing more money for more shoe, and these are worth it. I've been running the Asics Gel-Nimbus shoe for two years now, probably equivalent to about 2700 miles and four pairs, from the 10 series to the current 12. The Gel-Nimbus is a cushioning shoe, hence the cloud reference in the name, and they function well to absorb long road-miles. The kick is designed for a neutral gait, but I find the first ten-to-twenty miles in these shoes require a little wearing-in. Rolling or flat areas, mostly ashpalt bike-trails or roads in the heat and monotony of coastal terrain, mean a short lifespan for shoes, but I push 400 miles out of the shoes before they start feeling off. This mileage coincides with the wearing out of the toe-kick area.
One thing: don't wear these Asics on a trail; they are not made to endure x-slope and rock-kicks, and harsh trails will very quickly turn these fine road shoes into ridiculous clown slippers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great running shoe, August 9, 2011
SLH (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of ASICS GEL-Nimbus running shoes since 2006 when I began training for my first marathon. I've been through countless Nimbus' since my first pair and I absolutely love them. They offer great support for my feet and minimize discomfort to my legs (especially my shins which used to be a problem when I first started training). Great shoes! (NOTE: I highly recommend that you go to a specialty running store before just buying running shoes so that they can observe your gait and your arch structure). If you determine that Nimbus' can work for your gait/feet then I highly recommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great heavy duty shoes!, January 17, 2011
ASICS Men's Gel-Nimbus 12 is a fantastic shoe for those who need lots of cushioning. I have a hip that get's sore if I run more than 3 times a week and trails runs aren't always easy or convenient where I live. This shoe is very good for hard surface running i.e asphalt, concrete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asics...swear by them! Ran marathon in them....keep on buying them, January 8, 2011
I love ASICS...always have and always will. I have a wider foot with a pretty high arch so I was fitted for shoes prior to running the Marine Corp Marathon and they recommended ASICS 2150 or Nimbus or Kayanos. They provide great support and last a long time. Much better for your feet and knees than Nikes.