Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

on January 8, 2012
It would not surprise me if Runner's World chooses this pair of running shoes as a Best Update or simply the Best Pair of Shoes the next time they review running shoes in the Spring 2012 issue! I got Plantar Fasciitis in both feet and a painful heel spur in the right. I run a lot and most shoes seem to be uncomfortable even after around 100 or so miles (usually between the first 10-15 runs for me). I've always looked for either Motion Control/Cushioning support and owned pairs of running shoes from Brooks, Saucony, Nike, New Balance and even previous Asics models to name a few that I've tried. My size 12 under pronating feet to go along with my 6'2" nearly 200 lbs frame always seem to hurt as well my lower back and recently around my knees area on both legs as well. Looking around for a new pair, I was going after the 2160s but just didn't like the feel for them. Great shoe- don't get me wrong- but just wasn't for me as I wanted more cushioning than what the shoe was offering. However, I've discovered these 2170s next to the 2160s. Without any doubt, I can honestly tell you that I now have my best pair of running shoes I've ever owned. There is plenty of gel, foam, cushion and yet a firm-like support structure throughout the shoes that I can't recall ever feeling and now makes me want to run further than before and has got me feeling the joy of running when I first started to get into the sport. Even the sides of my feet are feeling good after a 10 mile run this morning. If your New Year's Resolution is to get back into shape and you want a good pair of running shoes to go running, jogging or brisk walking in- you can't go wrong with these shoes in my opinion (unless you are looking for minimalist shoes like 5 Fingers or Nike Free) as these Asics 2170s have the perfect combination of both cushioning and support structure I have run-around in during nearly 15 years of running.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2011
I LOVE these shoes. They're got more shock absorbtion than the GT-2160 and earlier models. I sing a happy song everytime I take a walk in them. Not crazy about the colors/styles but as for the construction of the shoe, it's unsurpassed.
on March 31, 2012
I'm not a runner so I can't help those who are shopping for that purpose. However, these shoes are terrific for walking and daily wear. They produce a kind of walking on air effect. Light in weight, but excellent arch support. I will definitely be shopping for Asics Gel shoes when these need to be replaced down the road.
on May 1, 2013
I have been buying the Gt-2160 for several years and decided to purchase this new model this Spring. The price was good, order went perfectly and delivery on time. I have bought these type of shoes in a size 7 medium many times and found them to be just what I needed. The Gt-2170 was my first change and I ordered the same size and width. The shoes are definitely on the narrow side and I'm hoping that with continued use, they will stretch out a bit and be more comfortable. You may want to order a width a bit wider than normal.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2013
Shoe is very comfortable. I'm 6'4 300lbs and if your looking for a comfortable shoe this one is it. I bought 2 pair :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2012
I have tried scores of shoes and inserts of all types to help my plantar fasciitis and pronation problems. I have been wearing the Asics 2160 for the last 6 months which helped. I run about 10 miles a week. However, I put the 2170's on for the first time it was so comfortable I immediately went out and ran a 5K. No breakin for this shoe. It stabilizes your foot so well inside the shoe that you will run better and not suffer the aches and pains in the calves and arches afterwards from pronating. I am 66 so it doesn't take much to mess my feet up. My 26 year old daughter, however, is a mid-plant neutral runner with very smooth form. She bought a pair of 2170's after I did and she also says it is the most comfortable running shoe she has ever worn. She ran a 5k in them a day or two later and absolutely loves them.

Look at the insert liner inside the bottom of the shoe. The rear portion of the liner curves up the side walls of the shoe so that it cups the heel of your foot. The liner also curves farther up the side wall under your arch which give your arch a soft-cushioned support. The end result is that you foot doesn't flop around inside the shoe and your heel and arch are comfortably supported. First time I have run without discomfort or pain in 5 years. Thanks Asics!
Fred Hall
on February 18, 2014
The GT-2150 was fantastic. Well made, held together over the years and could be used as a regular sneaker when its running days were over. I must have put 500 miles on that shoe. The GT-2160 was a little less sturdy and bits of it started to peel away at around the 300 mile mark. Along comes the GT-2170 which are super comfortable and supportive for the first 250 miles or so, and then the problem start. The padding in the heel wore away in two separate pairs, leaving the heel to rub against the back of the shoe causing blisters. Then the webbing by the toe wore away. Bottom line for me: Fantastic shoe for around 3 months, than time to go shopping, but the really frustrating thing is - why couldn't they have just left the GT-2150 alone. Had I known, I would have gotten a dozen pairs!
on November 7, 2012
I really liked these. I'm not as experienced selecing running shoes, and my running is a bit more basic (2 miles usually at average jogging speed) so I bought these only after consulting with a couple of friends who are hard-core long distance runners. But the difference was noticeable even to me. I was able to bump up my 2 mile run to 3 miles, and felt very comfortable doing it with these shoes, even finishing the first 2 miles sooner. The shock absorption from the pavement helped my knees and joints feel much better throughout the workout, and the lengthwise torsional support was also very nice and firm. Excellent.
on April 29, 2013
Hi Guys,

I bought this shoe because I wanted something comfortable and based off of the reviews seemed promising. I am heavy and have wide feet. I wore these shoes to the gym for my first workout and i'm on the tred mill and this shoe rubs and bothers the side of the feet especially if your wide. The sole of this shoe is comfortable no doubt, but this shoe is for skinny people.
on May 10, 2013
I am a loyal Asics gal, and I buy men's sizes because they fit my foot better. I have purchased all my running shoes as Asics, in the GT series, since I started running.

This GT 2170 has a huge problem with the mesh. It is poor quality and is not performing as well in previous versions of the shoes. After just one month, the mesh was wearing thin at both toes, something that didn't happen in previous versions. After only 300 miles on the shoe, the mesh is now tearing away from the sole. I have never had these problems with the GT series, and my gait hasn't changed to account for any unusual wear and tear. I am filing a complaint with Asics because these shoes were very expensive AND are not holding up the quality I have come to expect from Ascis.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse