4.0 out of 5 stars Shoes meant for diabetics
Published on January 12, 2012 by Jefe

3.0 out of 5 stars Walking Shoes
The shoes run a little large compared to other ASICS walking shoes I have purchased. Had I known I would have purchased a half size smaller.
Published on June 21, 2010 by CBG

4.0 out of 5 stars Shoes meant for diabetics, January 12, 2012
Jefe (Danville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
These shoes were originally designed as a walking shoe for those with diabetes and/or circulatory deficiencies in the feet. Some diabetic patients lose some or all feeling in the feet and these shoes are meant to be a bit more protective by having a more cushioned and seamless interior, providing more room for toe deformities and possibly "diabetic insoles". They originally had laces but went to velcro, apparently to please the relatively aged population that are more likely to need these shoes as opposed to any other kind of shoe. As a foot doctor, I was given a pair of these shoes when they first were produced and I personally find them very comfortable and roomy in the toes. No, they are not for anything athletic, unless you consider walking an athletic activity. I do recommend the shoes to many of my patients with diabetes and/or circulatory compromise because of these features. One of my patients recently told me he was highly pleased with these shoes, especially compared to the prescription "diabetic" shoes which are of inferior quality at an obscene price, and usually look like prescription shoes. I think these have every advantage of a prescription diabetic shoe. The insoles have two types of foam layering meant to help accomodate bony pressure points which will work well in many cases, but some people with a history of foot problems such as wounds may need something more specialized from their podiatrist or orthotist; nor should these shoes or this review encourage anybody to skip out on professional evaluation and care of feet that are at risk for complications due to nerve and/or circulatory problems. But the shoe itself is meant to promote walking among this patient population because "exercise is medicine"- a true statement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for everyday, April 25, 2010
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe (Apparel)
I've been an ASICS fan for years. In fact, they're the only brand I wear. Recently I broke my left arm in a fall, so I couldn't tie my shoe laces until it healed. The ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe was the perfect solution because I could adjust the Velcro closures with one hand. I bought 3 pair, all black so I can wear them as everyday street shoes. Like every ASICS shoe I've owned, they're a perfect fit, lightweight, with cushioning and support in all the right places.

3.0 out of 5 stars Walking Shoes, June 21, 2010
CBG (Grass Valley, CA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars These shoes run a little larger please read. Asics second generation shoes disappointing, July 13, 2011
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe (Apparel)
I just recently purchased these shoes through amazon and tried them on. I own several asics shoes and have worn them throughout a span of 15 years. I just recently found out about Amazon's policy with clothing items for shopping online. I really thought a part of their shopping experience for clothing included fully covered shipping for exchanges in sizes. I was wrong. I really do believe this has disheartened my experience with shopping for clothing online here.

I think the best use of this site is to first go to the department store try to find it there try it on then go back home and find the exact item for hopefully a more discounted price. I have been somewhat disappointed with clothe shopping in particular here on Amazon.

In terms of the shoe itself, it feels okay.. it is not nearly the same quality of shoe from it's predecessor the asics gel cardio 1. Which I still wear to this day and love tons. Will return this shoe and see if I can find a Asics 1 or get the right size for this shoe.

*Update*

I now own the second generation of gel cardio and have been wearing them for about a couple of weeks. Well the Pos. are that the shoes feel durable and will probably last longer (sole is sturdier). Neg. The semi-suede leather they used before is completely superior compared to these shoes in terms of comfort and feel.If you ever owned a pair of velcro strap shoes you know that they eventually give. My in-step is smaller for the circumference of the in-step and really have to strap it down hard for a good tight fit. The sole treads may cause slippage if wet. Asics gel cardio 1's had a similar problem to small degree, but not as bad as these.

Overall, these shoes pale in comparison to it's original. And now my rant towards Asics: DEAR ASICS you completely ruined this shoe.. I've owned many a pair of Asics shoes and am saddened by your lack of quality after making a wonderful shoe. From now on will only buy first generation shoes from you. Yes you still have my clamshells, yet take note as this may come back to haunt you in the future. There are new shoe companies sprouting up and you will be left behind. Listen to your customers.. we are the one's keeping you in business.. Bring back Asics gel cardio 1!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, August 19, 2012
Handyman (Prescott Arizona) - See all my reviews
The shoe is well made for the price but the problem is the way the Velcro fastener is set up. The shoe has to fit perfect or Velcro won't stay fastened only about 1 inch of area to fasten with. And the loops the Velcro goes thru are too small the straps get stuck and you can't open the tongue enough to get your foot in easily. The shoe could be great for the price but the fasteners make the shoe worthless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremey Comfortable Shoe!, February 13, 2011
givpilot (Groton, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm not much of an expert on shoes, particularly the seemingly endless variety of walking, running and exercise shoes. I'm afraid I buy "sneakers" more on comfort and appearance than on their design and engineering features. With that in mind... I think these are great shoes! They are extremely comfortable and were so from the very beginning. They didn't require any break-in. They were also true to size. I wear a size nine dress shoe and this shoe in a 9 fit like a glove.

Nice styling, lightweight, very comfortable to wear, well cushioned and well constructed -- great shoe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh....just right!, February 28, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe (Apparel)
After searching and trying on numerous shoes, I finally found the right pair. I'm a big guy with aching flat feet. After feeling like Goldilocks and forever finding shoes that were too small or too narrow, I found a shoe that makes me want to walk. My feet would would ache terribly after only walking 1/2 mile wearing very expensive New Balance walkers. Being diabetic, grossly overweight, and terribly out of shape, I just accepted aching feet as a fact of life. Now with these shoes, I feel great and I'm able to walk again. I had them for a couple of weeks now and I'm able to do 4 mile walks with no problems. Love them so much, just bought 2 more pairs! Thanks ASICS and Amazon - great shoe, great service, great value...where else do you find that now days!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, August 4, 2010
Brian Lowery (Kearneysville, WV) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe (Apparel)
They are well made, but nothing special. They are not uncomfortable, but they really don't feel any different than any other good quality walker. Just another well advertized shoe for $100 that's made in China.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shoe, July 12, 2010
This shoe is well constructed.I advise that you add one half-size to your normal shoe size.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Exercise, February 27, 2011
Ken "kberke" (METAIRIE, LA, United States) - See all my reviews
When I purchased these shoes, I didn't realize that they had straps, rather than strings. I was game, though, if the straps could make the shoes feel snug. I find, however, they do not. The shoe is adequate for casual walking, but not, I think, for exercise.

ASICS Men's GEL-Cardio 2 Walking Shoe