Published on September 4, 2012 by Amazon Customer

These shoes were discounted from over $100 to around $65 including shipping. I needed a new pair of running shoes and it seems like no matter which ones I get (cheapos or expensive), I have some sort of problem with them. So instead of going to stores and trying some on and choosing based on what feels better, I decided to buy my first pair of running shoes online...
Published 11 months ago by Vandelay Industries

5.0 out of 5 stars Look great and are very light. good compromise between traditional and minimal., September 4, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Fuji Racer Running Shoe (Shoes)
I wanted something I could use "off road" at the local nature center paths. I have tried a wide variety of shoes over the past year running the gamut from traditional cushioned to full minimal vibram's and Merrell's. The Kinvara 2's have become my favorites and the shoe I compared all others to now. The Gel Racer's compare as well as anythign else I have tried. They have a very simialr feel to the Kinvara's. They are quite as lightweight and have a little greater heel drop differential, but they feel very similar on the foot.

The Gel Racer's are supposed to weigh in at around 8.8 oz in a Men's 9 which is about 2 oz's more than the Kinvara's but still on the lightweight side of things as far as shoes go. The heel to toe drop is approx. 6mm which is less then most traditioanl shoes (10-14mm) but more then a true minimal which is usually (0-2mm). 6mm is a good compromise in my opinion. I wear size 12's and that is what I order here. I found the fit to be spot on and these are very comfortable.

The upper is well made. Seems to be better quality than the Kinvara's. The heel offers gel cushioning which doesn't mean as much to me as I tend to run more on my midfoot and forefoot these days, but even on hard roads the rear of the shoe is very comfortable. The forefoot is not really that well padded, again in line with minimalism. The material is much tougher than that found on the kinvara. There is a rock plate enclosed as well. On actual trails the traction is great and padding fine. On hard road surfaces the padding isn't quite there if you are going on longer runs on a purely paved trail. 5k-8k or so is fine but I don't know if I would go longer on a hard surface. Again though this is a trail shoe and on grass and dirt or a mix of trail/pavement this is a great shoe. I have run an 8k trail race in it in addition to training with it and the shoe performed very well.

Color is nice as well. I went with the purple, black, yellow and it looks great. Overall a great shoe for trail racing.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of comments/compliments, February 18, 2013
K. Becker (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
They are purple and a little flashy, but they are very cool and comfortable to wear. My friend couldn't wear them because she has very high arches, but I wear them comfortably and I have normal to low arches. If that helps anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I only knew.., April 30, 2013
That throwing my trail sensor 5's in the closet with my DS racers that just a few short weeks later these would appear, I would have done it sooner. No Barry White involved. I heard some thumping and BAM... there is this shoe.

I strapped on these bad boys for only 1 8 mile run before using them in a trail 50k Ultra. The toe box is a bit wider than your DS racers, but not annoyingly wide. The weight (around 8 oz) is a HUGE advantage as the shoe protects your feet from jagged rocks, yet is thin and light weight enough to allow you to cruise for psychotic distances.

The ultra had 2 river crossings and when I was submerged to my waist in swiftly flowing river, they were a bit slippery on the rocks. So if your 50k is under water on coral, I would suggest flippers instead of this shoe.

Upon exiting the water, the shoe drained faster than your wallet, if it was stolen, in Vegas, and on a strip club spending spree. No squishy steps and no blisters from the 32.6 mile run.

The shoe shows VERY little wear, despite the rocks, river, trails, gravel, mountains, etc that it was put through on the day. The shoes left me a note the next day after the ultra:

Dear Mike,

Really? That was it? You call that a run? Whatever. Let the dog chew on me so I can at least get broken in.

Sincerely,

The evil love child of Trail Sensor 5 and your DS Road Racing Flats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, October 3, 2013
This is my third pair and love them. The sizing advice is correct half size bigger. I was told I was an excessive pronator and had the brooks beast shoes for 10 years, but got into longer distances and trail running and could not stand the weight and build of the beast. I must say when I first set out on these shoes I almost turned around at 2 km due to the muscle pain in my foot. I then switched off old shoes and new and was fine ever since. A great shoe if you want to go light, I bought the purple one because they were cheaper and nobody seems to laugh in my face about thecolour.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, September 19, 2013
Have only had the shoe for a few weeks and put 10 miles on a single track trail run. I ordered together with the XR Missions by Salomon to see which fit better. These won by an edge. I have never owned a pair of Asics. I have always gone with Adidas because that's just want I was used to wearing and I'm not a avid traditional runner. I play in more exciting areas than a treadmill or a boring run on the road. I do not do marathons. I run Tough Mudders, and other adventure type races. I wanted a new pair of running shoes that can handle a trail run, mud run, or a day hike/mt bike session. I'm 6'0, 185 and ordered these in a 10.5. They fit well. Feel athletic and fitted with out being lame minimalist ninja wannabe shoes. Great grip and provide good balance, and flexibility while still maintaining it's form and support around my entire foot, not just the heel. Good purchase and decent price for a pair of sneakers I plan to use hard for the next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, March 28, 2013
I have only used these twice on the trails and so far they have not failed me. They are comfortable, super light weight, and have tons of grip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shoes, October 15, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Fuji Racer Running Shoe (Shoes)
Been training in these for a few weeks and finally got to wear them in a 10 mile trail run. Awesome shoes. In years past after this race with other trail shoes my feet were sore for days. My feet never felt so good after a race before. These are lightweight and well ventilated. I have had foot issues in the past (Plantar Fasciitis) and was going through a recovery period from another injury to my arch. I wore these in the race and felt no pain during or after the race. They actually seemed to improve my condition. I would highly recommend these.

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought shoe would be better, still really decent. Holding up well., March 29, 2014

I have ran over 250 miles in them and I wanted people to at least know that these shoes hold up well. I have had running shoes before that start falling apart after a month's use, and some soles seem to wear much faster than others. These are solid still and I feel confident they will last for at least another 150-200 miles.

Biggest negative for me about these shoes: I have to wear two pairs of socks in order to avoid getting bad blisters. This may be me and my foot style, and I am sure many runners enjoy this shoe without getting blisters, but not me. They provide really good support (I do not get shin splints with these) and like I already said are quite durable, but the way they fit my foot gives me blisters.

OVERALL, scale of 1-100, this shoe gets a 65 from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best trail shoe so far., March 11, 2014
Sure they're snug fitting. With duck shaped feet (very wide in the fore and narrow in the rear) I'm used to having challenges with fit. Having trail run the Gel Trabucos for years and they always started out snug too. Early on I'd waver about returning them for a bigger size. Eventually they all relaxed to a more comfortable fit. The thing about the Fujis is that when I wore them to work to have an opportunity to dial in the laces before hitting the trails I had a day full of comfort. I'd even brought along a back-up pair of shoes in case they got to be too much, but they weren't. After my first run I'd say that I definitely notice the lack of the stabilizing bar that's typical in Asics' soles (I also road run the Gel Kayanos) however with the stiffness of the sole and how the shoe firmly holds my foot for a nice and comfortable ride. Granted, these days I tend to run fairly smooth trails in Santa Fe. However next month I'll be visiting Tucson, with much more rugged trails. We'll see how they fare. And as to aesthetics-I am a high school teacher and I got so much attention from kids about how great they think these shoes look. Apparently they're extremely attractive shoes to teens as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoe ventilation includes the soles, February 17, 2014
Loved the shoes when they first arrived. Fit well and comfortable. This ended the first time I stepped into a shallow puddle. Water entered the shoes through the bottoms and soaked my socks. Not the sides, the BOTTOMS! Never had this experience with Asics shoes before.

ASICS Men's GEL-Fuji Racer Running Shoe