5.0 out of 5 stars And the New Winner is......
You guessed it. The Kayano 17 from ASICS is the best running shoe I currently own. And I currently own too many pairs of running shoes. The New Balance 1906 ,
Published on January 31, 2011 by ZoomDoc

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible construction/quality
Nice shoe when you put it on, but within 3 weeks of wear the fabric on the inside of the heel rubbed through.

Contacted ASICS and they sent a free replacement but exactly the same thing happened with the new shoes.

Published on November 6, 2012 by occasional reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars And the New Winner is......, January 31, 2011
ZoomDoc (La Canada, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 17 Running Shoe (Apparel)
1226 and the 993. I also own the ASICS GT 1260 and the Nike Vomero 5 and the Equalon 4. I have the Brooks Beast and the Trance 10. Afraid to buy Saucony because of the lack of a wide width (2E) option. I have not been an ASICSs fan before. In fact I sent back a pair of ASICS Kinetics because the hell strike was stiff. I had declared the Brooks Trance 10 my favorite of all time but I gave ASICS one more try and I feel fortunate the Kayano 17 was my reward. There is no question in my mind that every time I put on these shoes I want to work out and run. I have been finding many excuses to wear them. Cushion is unmatched. The hell fit and toe fit and forefoot fit and finish are a godsend. I wish I could buy 2. Like I said I already own too many running shoes. That said I broke down and have a pair of the new ASICS Nimbus on the way as this is being written. Will give a report on these later. This shoe is good for heavy runners and was built for the mild to moderate overpronator. I usually buy Neutral + shoes. These still balance out nicely. ASICS built a shoe that virtually anyone would be happy with. This is extremely difficult to do given the various foot types which exists. These shoes are not mushy and energy return is excellent. I run about 21 to 25 miles weekly and this is my "go to" shoe. Some really under appreciated thought and technology went into this shoe. I'm betting the Kaynao 16 is also stellar and if the price keeps dropping I could be lured into getting a pair as well. Looks like ASICS is really focused in on their running shoes and the Kayano could well be the cream of the crop. Hey like I said I was not an ASICS fan and now I will likely buy nothing else unless another brand has a crazy sale on a top of the line shoe. I'll will post a review of the Nimbus after I've worn them awhile. This now makes this my 3rd ASICS purchase in the last month. That speaks volumes as to what I think of this shoe company. Buy them while you still can. This will be and already is a highly sought after shoe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kayano 17 edges out Nimbus 12 - stability and heel cushioning decide, May 20, 2011
My first Kayano 17 impressions over the Nimbus 12:
- slightly more substantial feel
- more heel strike cushion
- more stability
- narrower toe box 'feel' (not actually narrower. I'll explain below)

I purchased and compared Kayano 17 to the Nimbus 12 for use primarily as walking/hiking shoes. Both feel great on my feet, but the Kayano 17's have a slight edge in stability as well as having a bit more heel cushioning - I did a simple heel walk and heel bounce test. Toe padding seems about equal. For this I did toe bounces for 30 seconds with each pair. Overall I'd say I notice the Kayano's on my feet more, whereas the Nimbus feel, well, more nimble, more like a 'pillow' as another review said of the Nimbus. Make no mistake; the Kayano's are super comfortable. Different shoes for different people, essentially. I don't know the actual weight difference between these, but holding them I'd say very little; it's more the perception while wearing them that the Nimbus's are lighter, even though they probably aren't, or aren't by much.

Kayano's toe box 'feel' is a tad narrower than the roomier-feeling Nimbus toe box (both pair are 7.5 men's; medium "D" width); so the Nimbus's allow my toes to expand when striking first with my toes (hiking steep uphills, running up steps, etc.). I think this has to do with the Nimbus meshing; it's lighter and stretchier, which may give the Nimbus a slight advantage during hot summer months when feet tend to swell, or for people with wider feet that aren't quite wide enough to justify going to the next width size up. Too much room risks blistering and/or less stability; too little crams the toes together.

Speaking of stability, both seem to include the same ASICS technologies, but the Kayano's fare a bit better here. I tested this simply by holding the heel part and the widest part of the shoe and gently trying to twist it. Wearing them also seems to give the nod to the Kayano's. Venturing a guess, reasons might include a slightly beefier last, higher heel shank and different lace patterns; whereas Nimbus laces follow a slight curve from tongue to toe, Kayano's use the more traditional straight-line lace pattern.

Both shoes have nice heel-to-toe roll. Some sneakers, even those built on a curved last, inevitably give that 'slap' when the toe strikes. Both these shoes employ curved lasts. I compared the lasts by visual inspection and by rolling opposite sneaks bottom to bottom. Visually speaking, their shape (width/length/curve) appear nearly identical; only the tread looks different. the Kayano heel shank is noticeably higher which as I said probably contributes to stability. Of course, I can't speak for how their internals are constructed.

I value feet health since I *love to walk and want the best for all my joints above my feet, so the $50 difference (depending on which color/size you get) between these shoes counts towards 'healthy foot insurance.' Since I'll use these as my everyday shoes, and for for walking two miles in the forest a few times each week, I'll probably replace them within a year; even the most expensive sneaker becomes a liability as they begin to deform and flatten over time.

Yes, the Nimbus 12 is really a great choice (and cheaper), but for the reasons above, the Kayano 17 running shoe is my choice.

Happy shopping :)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product asics, April 14, 2011
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 17 Running Shoe (Apparel)
well i'm new to running-walking and to asics i started in a pair of nike airmax 180 and the pain in my heel was almost unbearable i almost quit.. but then i started to read reviews and finally bought a pair of kayanos 17 and like magic my pain is gone these shoes fit like a glove the cushion is great (i am 6'3 and 230 pounds) and run about 4miles a day and to me these kayanos have been so far incredible, perfect amount of support and now i look forward to my morning runs. other than being experimenting with the lacing they are otherwise a perfect fit and sure i will buy another pair when i wear them out

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Kayano grip and run forever, May 11, 2011
Anubhav Khiwani (New Delhi, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 17 Running Shoe (Apparel)
When you are looking for Running shoes you generally go for the ones that you have worn since childhood. So you start with local brands and slowly slowly you start entering the world of science and technology and its effects on running. SO I started my journey on perfection of running shoes by buying Nike Free 5.00
and feeling better at running . After discarding them ( 2 Years) and buying Nike Lunarlite as the follower I continued to feel good about my running.

Finally I shifted for Cushion and jumped to Asics Gel Kayano 17 to find them to be very very comfortable and playing the role of a smart extension for my foot.

It grips my foot , is light weight and provides perfect cushioning.

A runner needs to be most cautious about Knee injury and other foot related injuries ( ankle Injury etc) . Having a scientific shoe with quality and great respect in the market is not a bad shot at spending money and buying a shoe.

You will absolutely enjoy running and feel the high when you run in shoes like this.

Try it and you will never regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gel-Kayano 17 review, February 4, 2011
I look to Asics when choosing a running shoe for heavy runners.

those of us in the Clydesdale class need extra cushion when

pounding the pavement. This is my second pair of Gel-Kayano's

(wore out a pair of IX). For walking and running they are as

comfortable a shoe as you can get, they breathe good and your

feet stay dry. I am a little disappointed in the cushioning

at the ball of my feet when working out on stationary equipment

such as a stair climber or eliptical machine as I really can

tell that that area heats up after 45 mins or so, but I

recover quickly and go on. Definitely worth the money though

overall, I'll get the next version when these wear out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible construction/quality, November 6, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 17 Running Shoe (Apparel)

Within 2 months of relatively light use, the back part of the shoe (that wraps around and supports the heel) had pretty much completely disintegrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars just do it!, September 13, 2011
I bought these recently and I must say these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. I used to run with Nike Air Free shoes but there's absolutely no comparison between these shoes. The Asics are just perfect: light, good shock absorption and enough fixation of the foot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Asics keeps getting better and better., July 5, 2011
Length:: 3:29 Mins

My second Asics shoe and despite the "un-trendy" design, I will always end up purchasing Asics! See why in my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable piece of footwear I've ever owned, March 9, 2012
The shoe in my opinion could not be made any better than it already is. I am extremely picky when it comes to shoes and clothes but ASICS Gel Kayano 17 is perfect in every way, it fits like a glove, is true to size, looks good and is like walking on air, it would be a steal at double the price. I recommend this shoe to all, I can't recommend it enough, I'd only be wasting words to keep praising it further, its perfect, enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running sneaker for big man, February 10, 2012
I've stuck with Asics Gel-Kayano for years now because I'm 6'3 and over 200lbs and need a sneaker that will hold up to my pounding. I don't use inserts so I can just throw these on and run for miles with no problems. Brooks makes a cheaper $$ version that is just as good, but the Asics is ideal if it can be had for under $100. I've never been dissastisfied with any generation of this sneaker.