5.0 out of 5 stars Cushioned stability shoes

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor transition from 17s to 18s
Published 23 months ago by M. J. Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars Cushioned stability shoes, February 20, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I have been running for so many years in many other brands. This new Kayano 18 is my first pair of ASICS. For me, the most noticeable difference is shock absorbing. I think we can immediately tell the difference in shock absorbing quality of different car models. This is a direct analogy. In this Kayano 18, I have the same feeling as riding in a Mercedes or a Lexus. The Kayano absorbs all the shocks. Each running step is firm and responsive; but no shocks. I used to run in the Adidas Supernova Glide 1 & 2 before the Kayano 18. The Supernovas are very good shoes which helped recover my injured knees caused by other previous wrong shoes but I prefer the Kayano 18. The Kayano provide perfect shock absorbing and are lighter. All in all, this is the most comfortable pair of running shoes I have ever owned.

I would like to add that the Supernova Glide and the Kayano are technically very different shoes. The Supernova Glide is in the "cushion" category for runners who are underpronators but the Kayano is in the "stability" category for overpronators. I am a neutral runner and have no problems running in any of them. The Kayano simply absorb more shocks and are lighter.

Update: I have recently purchased a pair of ASICS Nimbus 13. I use the Nimbus for recovery run. The difference between them is very obvious. The Kayano 18 gives more support at the midsole. This is because of the Duomax material (the gray part of the midsole under the arch) which is more stiff than the white softer midsole material. I feel more comfortable in the Kayano 18 especially when walking. I like the midsole support. I also run faster in the Kayano. The Nimbus, which is mainly for underpronators, does not have the Duomax support since the more stiff midsole may promote even more underpronation. The midsole of the Nimbus is uniform. When walking in the Nimbus, the feeling is like walking on a mattress. I found it too soft for long walk. I prefer walking in the Kayano which is more firm. When running in the Nimbus, the shoes give soft, comfortable and relaxed feeling. For me, the Nimbus 13 are too soft for competition, thus they are suitable for my recovery running. Heel strikers and underpronators would love them but I prefer the Kayano 18.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing beyond words. These shoes compensated for a lifelong foot problem., May 5, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
First a little background, then I'll tell you how these shoes fixed my problem perfectly.

I have a very rare case of flat feet. By college, it hurt so much to walk I ended up getting orthodics. And those didn't work, I ended up getting surgery.
That worked pretty well. But recently, I started doing Tae Bo - my lifestyle became sedentry and I was losing energy. It involves lots of jumping around back and forth, fast stepping motions, and constant pivoting. Due to how arced out my bad foot was, there was virtually a 3 second delay whenever I needed to shift weight to my other leg to step, which was constantly. After doing some research, I tried a few exercises, things of that nature, and took some random internet adivce to try ASICS. I just so happened to close to their outlet in Manhattan one day, and decided to stop by. It did feel quite a bit lighter than my old shoes, so I figured I'd try them out.

The results were 1,000 times what I expected. I tried them on and I could actually keep up with the video every single step. When I looked at my shoes after the workout, I noticed the right one was a different shape. Somehow, I have no clue how it works, the shoe actually leaned inward as far as my foot naturally leaned outward, thus correcting my standing posture completely.

When I first started the video, I thought they were superhuman. I thought I would NEVER be able to keep up, even if I did get in shape. But now? I can do anything. It feels amazing.

If you have EVER had problems with your feet, had to use insoles, have flat feet, or can't shift your weight very fast for whatever reason, BUY THESE SHOES.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, January 8, 2012
R. Daniel Noyes (Summerlin, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
Sometimes we get used to certain things and when it changes we rebel. However, in this case, the changes to the veritable Kayano are a good thing. I can really feel the differences and once I took the time to mentally adjust I realized that the model 18 is a big improvement on the model 17. They are lighter. There is more cushioning under the front of the foot, and the cushioning under the heel has been improved/adjusted and feels better to my foot at least. The tongue is a little shorter up top making it easier to tie your bow on the padded part. The 18's have better/improved lateral support and stability. The mid shoe width is a little wider, so it doesn't feel as confining there and adds to the lateral stability. I wore New Balance cross trainers for a long time for golf and the leather uppers had good lateral support, something I felt was a little weak in the Kayano 17's. Everybody is different in what they like, so my comments are somewhat subjective, though I have tried to described what I think are clear improvements. To me these are very nice shoes and a worthy successor to the 17, but test drive them...go to your local big box store, and take a pair home to walk around the house in(keep the receipt). I think you'll see what I'm saying. Then shop around the web to find the best deal, they are pricey at the moment cause they just came out...or wait until later in the year when the price drops. Happy trails...

5.0 out of 5 stars Kayano 18's are solid!, August 24, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I purchased my first pair of Kayano (14's) back in 2009 in preparation for my first Ironman. Those shoes performed so well, that I haven't switched brands or models since! The main reason I've kept going back to the Kayano's is due to the absence of foot/leg pain. I'm classified as a "neutral" runner, but like the feel of a structured support shoe like the Kayano 18. I suffered from shin splints and fractured heel bones in the past. In my case, use of this shoe, along with better training techniques, have mitigated my pain issues.
They are not the lightest shoes for racing, but I would rather run with a couple extra ounces and be pain free.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cadillac of Long Distance Running Shoe, March 6, 2013
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
When looking for running shoes, I think the most important thing to realize is different people have different requirements which are based on such factors as pronation, type of foot, height and weight, etc. For me, the ASICS Kayano's are the best shoes on the market. I am flat-footed, have a slight inward pronation inward and run anywhere from 15-30 miles a week with occasional half marathons and a full marathon scheduled in a couple of months. I consider the Kayano's the Cadillac of running shoes because they provide a nice, smooth ride with a high level of comfort and support. Why do I not give them the full 5 stars? Well, it might be nitpicking but after about 220 miles they start to wear, my toenails turn black and the back heal wears a bit. I wear a size bigger since feet tend to swell during long distance running. In all honesty, you are lucky to get 300 miles out of any shoe. There may be a better shoe out there. If there is, I haven't found it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor transition from 17s to 18s, August 4, 2012
M. J. Moss (Ellicott City, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I was absolutely satisfied with my Gel-Kayano 17s. No issues whatsoever with with balls of foot, ankles, shins, knees, hips. Legs always felt great, from quick 5Ks to a half-marathon. Loved 'Um. Went with Gel-Kayano 18s precisely BECAUSE of my satisfaction with the ones (17s) I owned. Within 4 runs (3-5 miles lengths) I had a case of shin splints that had me taking a full week off. Have NEVER had this issue. Store recommended some inserts for additional arch support, which set me back another $60, but still haven't had a comfortable run in the 4 I've taken since then; the inserts HAVE helped, but the shoe has issues. The heel counter on the 17 was great, on the 18 it is poor, and the more round throat line of the 18 just makes the shoe fit less well. I'm about 1 more uncomfortable run away from returning these. I've been with Asics (both cross-trainers and running shoes) for a couple years, and have consistently said "the most comfortable shoe I've owned". These are the most UNcomfortable I've ever owned, and may actually be bad enough that _ despite all my previous great experience _ I'll be moving to another brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, February 17, 2012
shoes are amazing so soft and supportable i can feel the money i spent on them when i run worked really good for my bad shin splints. im in the army infantry so these are really important to me A+A+A+A+A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Non Runner Loves Them, April 11, 2012
David S. Lott (Beaufort, South Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe (Apparel)
Aging knees and a calf injury took me out of running some time ago, but I still walk, bike and hit the gym regularly. I find that cross trainers can be stiff and a bit tough on my feet so I went for some high end running shoes. Very glad I did. These had a perfect fit out of the box and my feet do not tire or get sore on walks and workouts that used to cause problems sometimes. I usually buy two pairs of shoes at once, and got a pair of somewhat cheaper Pumas at the same time. The difference is astounding, so I'm sending the Pumas back (fit problems also) and getting another pair of these. This great shoe is really worth the high price to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivered on time and arrived in perfect condition., February 15, 2013
I chosen this shoe to replace my other year old running shoe. This shoe is very comfortable and has good support. It is a bit narrow so those with wide foot show be aware of that when deciding what size / shoe to purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Shoe I have run in so far., October 9, 2012
I run short distances of 5k and 10k and I am a mid-foot striker. Twice I have left this shoe to try other shoes and both times I have come back the GEL- Kayano. I found I have less fatigue and lower leg pain with these shoes regardless of the type of run I am doing. I don't believe the Kayanos are made for mid-strikers but they work for me. These shoes last an average of 300 to 400 miles for me before I replace them and that is only wearing them to run. I am very happy with these shoes and would recommend them if you need a good support shoe. They can be a little on the pricey side but you should take care of your feet and legs the best you can.

ASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe