5.0 out of 5 stars Good Improvements On One of Asics Franchise Running Shoes
For background, I am an average runner that runs three to six miles several days a week - 2/3rds of the time on a treadmill and 1/3 of the time outside. Some seasons I kick up the miles for a marathon, but in general running is part of a cross training program. I have traditionally, oscillated between New Balance and Asics, but flirted with other brands.

Asics...
Published on April 25, 2009 by Rugger Burke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Nimbus Lover
I have been an Asics fan and customer ever since I started running more seriously, about 10 years, and 18 marathons ago. I appreciated the perfect fit, and the ultimate in cushioning, first in Cumulus, then in Nimbus.
Published on March 8, 2010 by Jaime Gumm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Improvements On One of Asics Franchise Running Shoes, April 25, 2009
Rugger Burke (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews

Asics makes excellent running shoes in general, but at the high end of their range the Kayano and the Nimbus are standouts. Kayanos are best suited for "neutral" runners who have a perfect step and gate. The Nimbus are a bit more forgiving for those of us who run on the outer edge of one or both of our feet. I fall into this category, in that my shoes show wear on the outer edge of one of my heals. Having run in both the Kayano and the Nimbus, I would give the nod to the Nimbus as it provides a little more "support." (Note - they provide support for running, but next to no lateral support necessary in other sports such as basketball. They are best for running or spending time on your feet all day.)

This is the eleventh (or XI) version of the Nimbus. In theory each iteration would get progressively better, but that has not always been true. Version ten (X) was a bit less cushioned and slightly heavier than nine (IX). That has been cured with this latest model. It is softer and lighter (purportedly by an ounce, which sounds silly unless you run). It breathes a bit better as well.

For the fashionable crowd, the colors are much better in person than shown on the website. The black / graphite version in particular is a nice addition to the traditional white / blue color combo. For those new to Asics, the one downside of all of the Asic's shoes is they have lots of textures and grooves in the foam / rubber areas that pick up dirt easily, but they are "running" shoes so buy something else for street shoes.

One other comparison of note is that Nike's competitor, the Vomero, has improved as well and is close, but not quite as good. They have a slightly wider toe box and feel softer at the ball of the foot out of the box, but the softness translates to a slight dissipation of energy. Ok, for the casual runner, but not for higher mileage - like running in soft sand.

Two niggles that bother me with running shoes at this level that are worth mentioning: (1) the insoles are pathetic and (2) they are made in China. I find it irritating that you spend more than $120 for a pair of shoes and the insole is barely better than cardboard. Second, I always feel a slight pang that anything made in China is made under suspect circumstances. But all running shoes (save for a few New Balance models) suffer from these issues, so I am not deducting a star for this.

In summary, if you like the Asics feel, you will be pleased with this latest Nimbus. It is a worthy successor to the heritage.

5.0 out of 5 stars This shoe keeps getting better, July 27, 2009
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I have always been a Nike person... always buying Nike from when I was a teenager. I started doing some research when I started running about 2 years ago and bought my first pair of the Asics Nimbus Gel 10 and have never looked back. The shoes were so comfortable when fitted properly with a proper pair of socks. Now comes the Nimbus 11 and I debated on whether to purchase them or not and I'm glad I did. The shoe just fits better... the shoe is more stable (keeps the foot) from rocking on its side, not that the 10's were bad but it's just kicked up to another level. The shoe laces as well, are nicer, meaning that they hold tight when you tie them and don't come loose. Your foot feels firmly planted on the ground without some of the fatigue that you feel with other shoes.

It's funny how people will spend money on things that don't improve running or comfort but yet when you suggest to them to try out a good pair of shoes and they baulk at a shoe that is in that price range. For me its money well spent not only to improve your running but to also help you protect your knees and back from injury.

Asics keep up the awesome work on making a great shoe even better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, but better than Nimbus 10?, June 7, 2009
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
Like the golfer looking for a better wedge and not finding it, I bought these shoes (and every new Asics model that comes out)...fully expecting some technological design edge which will hydroplane me effortlessly across 5-10 more miles a week. Asics builds a great shoe (the best) but this shoe certainly didn't leapfrog the Nimbus 10 shoe in form or function. Here's my side-by-side comparison:

* Light Weight. Weight is the same for both the Nimbus 10 and 11 (12.4 oz).
* Toe-box is far roomier (too much?) in the N-11 than the 10. I prefer a tighter fit.
* Sizing in the N-11 is closer to shoe size than the N-10 which seemed to be 1/2 size smaller.
* Heel was more form fitting in the N-10.
* Offset lacing in the N-10 resulted in a tighter fit.
* Cushioning in both shoes is excellent from heel to toe. The N-11 is less "squishier" than the N-10 which is well cushioned but resulted in a firmer ride.
* I much preferred the traditional design/look of the N-11 over the N-10.

Nothing beats an Asics however, bottom line for me - the N-10 has the edge over the N-11 with its better fit from heel to toe. And with retailers looking to clear out the model, the $50 savings is notable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed Nimbus Lover, March 8, 2010
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I couldn't imagine wearing another brand of running shoe, and the odd experiment with Nike, Brooks, Reebok, New Balance, etc. only confirmed my belief that Asics was, and always would be, my shoe. Recently, I bought two pairs of Nimbus 11's, intending to rotate usage.

The first time I wore them, on a short (6 mile) run, a little internal nubbin created by the sewing joining two pieces of the shoe lined up directly over the first knuckle of my big toe (or, if you prefer, the tibial sesamoid of my first metatarsal). It rubbed a nice circular hole through the skin which bled all over my socks. A fluke I thought. I put on a Band-Aid, and tried again; different socks, tighter lacing; the other new pair -- each time the skin opened up at the same spot. Asymmetrical lacing may be a fine idea, but for me, it creates a rubbed spot exactly where I don't need one (actually, that would be anywhere on the foot, but an area where skin stretches over the bone
is particularly bad). My Nimbus 10's also had asymmetrical lacing, but for some reason, did not have that little nubbin the elevens do. My foot is a little wide, but otherwise not unusual. I still love Asics, but I'm doing the mail-order thing to find a couple pairs of Nimbus 10's.

Moral: Poke your finger in your new Nimbus 11's before you buy, and if you feel a little bump over the tibial sesamoid, ask your Salesperson about the return policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-around great shoe, October 6, 2009
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I have historically been a New Balance guy, but I read great reviews on the Nimbus and decided to give it a try. I am glad I did. The shoe is made for runners of slightly larger builds, but I am a relative featherweight and the shoes don't feel bulky at all. The big selling point is the cushioning, and the shoe delivers on that. A word of warning; before making this kind of purchase, identify what kind of foot you have. If you have a neutral foot, don't be seduced into the Kayano! I wore a pair for two days before the inside of my heel began to erode. Great shoe also, but only for overpronaters.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect shoe for serious runners, June 6, 2010
B. Cook (Carlsbad, CA) - See all my reviews
if you run more than 12 paved miles a week, and you don't pronate or supinate, this is the shoe for you. if you need a "control" shoe, asics has what you need. but if you are a normal runner and you are serious about distances and serious about prolonging your knees well into your 70s, the nimbus is the best on the market. not to mention it can be had for $100-$130. that is serious value!

the onyx/lightening color scheme is smooth without being overbearing, plus it retains the new look for months. i run 4 to 6 miles on these puppies about 4 times a week and they have shored up my knee, shin and hip aches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific for Clydsdales, June 14, 2010
4evr4d (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
Used this shoe 4 nearly 600 miles while going from 260 lbs to 220.
Terrific product. Bought another pair already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement, July 23, 2009
Bosch (Medellin, Colombia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I used the nimbus 10 for almost a year and they're fine. Much better than the Adidas adistar I used to have. But this nimbus are even better. They felt more true to size than the previous one. Of course you must buy half a size bigger as always. The fit is amazing. This shoe feels wider and a little shorter. My size for running shoes is 9, and I felt the nimbus 10 the size 9 was more like 9.5.

This shoes have a little more cushion than the 10 and you'll really feel them lighter. For my feet all of this is like running over the clouds. Good job Asics. The design and colors didn't look great, but this are for running. I have the blue ones, which are very nice, much nicer when you have them in your hands. Overall is a very good job. Asics is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking On Air, October 21, 2011
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
First off, do some research on what type of foot/stride you have. There are plenty of resources online that will help you decide. I typically don't get too super excited about a pair of shoes but these are an exception. Personally, I've had moderate ankle and heel pain for years after much abuse growing up playing soccer and basketball. After years of dealing with the pain and lots of money wasted on random "premium" shoes, I did some research and found out that I am indeed a heel striker and need a neutral-cushioned type shoe. I also suffer from a heel spur that can cause pretty bad heel pain.

Upon switching to the GEL-Nimbus, I saw an immediate improvement in comfort when I walk and run. After a few weeks of using these shoes, foot and ankle pain was completely gone. That was using the GEL Nimbus 10's. Since then, I've upgraded models each year as they are released and have not been disappointed. I typically buy at a local store but I would not hesitate to purchase from Amazon since the shoes are simply so comfortable. For me, differences between the models have been slight and the general comfort of the shoe remains amazing.

If you've got heel or ankle pain I strongly recommend these. For running, they are lightweight and have a generous toe box (the area in the front of the shoe where your toes lie flat). The big toe box is a plus as it gives your toes some room during long runs. With other shoes, I've found that my toes could go a bit numb during long repetitive runs.

They are a bit pricey but they are built very well and in my opinion, are a value since they prevent foot pain and are a heck of a lot cheaper than custom orthodics I'm told. You will not go wrong with these shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Offset lacing..., May 17, 2011
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe (Apparel)
I ran 5k/day for about 7 months in these...Now I just wear them as everyday shoes. The offset lacing takes a bit getting used to but after awhile you get used to them. This pair of ASICS is as good as any other pair I've worn (Cumulus, Maverick). The forefoot cushioning is just enough plush but gives good feedback. I'm forefoot striker so I can't comment much on the heel cushioning. But the show is comfortable and durable enough for me to continue wearing them as everyday shoes after they've been worn down.

ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 11 Running Shoe