1,057 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Same As It Ever Was: Still One Of The Best
New for 2012, this is the 14th iteration of one of Asics flagship models.

Overview: The latest version in the lineage remains true to its predecessors. If you liked the Nimbus in the past, you will like this one too. While Asics claims to have made a significant number of changes to the new model, most are superficial. The primary differences are:...
Published on April 25, 2012 by Rugger Burke

3.0 out of 5 stars narrow toe box
I have been wearing Nimbus for the past 6 years. I love the cushioning, but I find that the Nimbus 14 is narrow for my foot. It will stretch because it is made of fabric, but I wish the toe box area had been designed a bit wider. I also preferred the off center lacing of past Nimbus models. This is not my favorite ASICS Nimbus design.
Published on September 6, 2012 by RDD in NJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial running with shoes seemed firmer model than previous Asics., March 24, 2014
My first run with them was a long run, and found them not as supple as what I have experienced in the past with the Nimbus model. Result was a sore hip, but have been wearing them on shorter runs since and haven't had an issue. Is the Nimbus 14 a firmer model than the previous models? I have worn new Asics in the past on long runs and didn't experience any difficulties. Might have been something on the road and not the shoes. Would be interested in your feedback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great running shoes, January 11, 2014
Jon Snow (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This is really a well-designed running shoe providing comfort for any type of distance run on pavement/asphalt.

I've found most running shoes are designed for average height light-weight runners. I'm 6'4". My weight varies between 225 lbs. - 250 lbs through the year (depending on my current fitness goals and diet). I have a neutral gait. I asked my local running store which shoes would be appropriate for a heavier person with a neutral running style while providing decent cushioning. They pointed me right to these shoes.

Fortunately, they sell these on Amazon, so I'm able to save some serious money over the specialty-store pricing. I'm also the kind who doesn't mind saving even more by buying the ugliest color combos on running shoes. The markup on these must be such that they are able to charge 30-40% less on unpopular color combos and still make money.

I'm more of a 5K-a-day type than a marathoner, but I'll run the occasional 10K and enjoy a year half-marathon and occasional 10-14 mile runs in the mornings on weekends during the summer.

I used to wear other brands comparable models (Brooks, Mizuno, Nike, etc...), but would feel a persistent pain here or there in hips, IT band, ankles, knees, back (depended on the shoes). With these shoes, I've had no strange pains anywhere. It's amazing how a really well-designed shoe, such as the Gel-Nimbus, can perform. I've had similar success with the Gel-Cumulus. The Gel-Nimbus shoe, however, seems to provide a little more room in the toe box and a little more cushioning than the Gel-Cumulus which makes it more comfortable when I do decide to go on longer runs.

I'm sure these would be a good shoes for runners of all sizes, but for most of us, you just have to keep trying different shoes until you get the right type of shoe. If you experience any pains while you run and they aren't due to an injury of some type, keep trying different shoes. With the way they make shoes these days (primarily out of some form of plastic), there really is no 'break-in' period for shoes the way there used to be, so if you get blisters with any shoes right away, I recommend you take them back.

It's just a very comfortable shoe all-around. I have been running in the Gel-Nimbus and the Gel-Cumulus for over 5 years with success. It's amazing how much more enjoyable running is when you find the right shoes. These fit true to size. Definitely try them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comfortable, October 21, 2013
Just turned 60 and started working on a treadmill about 8 months ago. Doing about 18 miles a week. Using shoes I had around the house in my workout. Outdoor hiking shoes, some old New Balance cross trainers I had around. Purchased these and greatly appreciate the way they treat my feet. Makes my daily workouts much more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Shoes, October 20, 2013
These shoes are great for everyday wear, as well as on and off the court.
I can wear them comfortably for work, volleyball, basketball, etc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nimbus 14, October 19, 2013
Too narrow, size is running small, bad cushioning and support. I expected a better quality. I am very disappointed. Two star is a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice shoe, just not for me, September 29, 2013
I got back into running again after having to stop years ago due to left knee pain. 2012 purchased a pair of Asics GT-2160 and they were real good to me. May of this year thought I would purchase a new pair of shoes and kick-it-up a notch (in the interest of longevity). After seeing mostly good reviews I bought the Nimbus 14's.

First couple of times out my feet, especially right foot, hurt a little and my toes would go numb. Was concerning but kept using them ($110, you know) and then heal pain came in. Yep, Plantar Fasciitis had set in. Had to take some time off and am now starting back up using the GT-2160's and an insole with a little arch support. Oh ya, and make sure you stretch!

Seems like a really nice shoe just not for me. Learned my lesson, don't force yourself into a shoe. I'll donate them to the local high school track team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can run back to back now, October 16, 2012
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 14 Running Shoe (Shoes)
Not sure what the deal is with the new shoe lines this year offering fluorescent colors but after turning down the lime green shoe I settled on the dark blue and white shoe.

In the past, these heavy shoes caused me to have a bout with Plantar Fasciitis after wearing the brooks beast for years. After two years of minimalist shoes which helped get rid of the PF but made the rest of my body feel like I had been beaten with a police baton I decided to give these a try.

I have often thought of my legs a lot like bread from the bakery. I could run on "Day old" legs but I would lack spring and I would be very sore. Running three days in a row was absolutely out of the question. I am a heavy runner and I wanted to help ease the foot strike and I have to say these shoes have been outstanding. I have run 3 days in a row for the first time in more than ten years. I am forcing myself to take a day off today because I have to rest but finishing a run and not feeling like you have been beat up is great.

I will add a better stretching routing for my PF and Achilles and stick with the Nimbus shoe. You will NOT be as fast in these so if you race, maybe get a lighter shoe to race in but if you are like me (220+ LB runner) I would highly recommend putting in your base miles in this shoe. I simply forgot what it was like to run pain free.

Thanks

John

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely comfortable!, August 12, 2013
Francisco Alvarez (Miami, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a pair of shoes that would help me with my injuries. I had been suffering from plantar fascitis, achilles tendinitis and other pains in my legs tendons. These shoes feel very soft on the heel and like you are walking on pillows when it comes to the front step... it feels strange to me as I had been used to lower running shoes on the front; those kind of shoes that push you forward. This does not happen with these shoes. I feel I may go slower, but I definately feel that I will run smoother and that my foot and legs will no be easily hurt.

I think they are worth trying. Only time will tell if they were just what I needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now these are shoes!, May 19, 2014
I almost did permanent damage to my knee with my old "running" shoes during my first half-marathon. Based on some reviews I purchased these and couldn't be happier. There is a world of difference between these and my older pairs. Excellent cushioning, yet efficient resilience that makes it a pleasure to run. Light yet supportive. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these shoes, May 9, 2014
I have made the mistake of trying something different based on the expertise of the local running shoe store "experts". I will never make that mistake again. I think they are essentially trying to get rid of slow moving items.

Asics are the only running shoe for me. The nimbus is great for a guy my size, 5' 10", 190lbs Training for Half Ironman and Olympic distance triathlons. I log anywhere from 10 to 30 miles a week on mixed surfaces for about 6 months of the year. The other 6 months about 10 to 20 miles per week. I replace the shoes at the start of each training season. The forefoot and heel gel cushion are amazing and responsive. The shoe fits like a glove with no rubbing seams. I love the color choices as well though this is not a deciding factor. If the only color was hot pink I would still wear them.

My advice, stick with what you love and if you dont love what you are wearing try the Asics Nimbus.

ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 14 Running Shoe