5.0 out of 5 stars I want to set the record straight
These shoes are perfect for what I need on the run.

My History:

Asics 2140/trail => Brooks Cascadia 5 => Saucony Progrid Peregrine 2 => Asics Gel-Scout
Published 20 months ago by C. L. Socci

3.0 out of 5 stars Softer than I thought
A Nimbus user, I expected more support from the arch and sole. The stones and branches beneath me are very present.
Otherwise comfortable.
Published 20 months ago by Eduardo

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to set the record straight, February 22, 2013
C. L. Socci "Audiomaniac" (Coopersburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASICS Men's GEL-Scout Trail Running Shoe (Shoes)
These shoes are perfect for what I need on the run.

My History:

I am a marathon/ultra marathon runner who went the minimalist route (after Born To Run) for a bit with Vibrams and NB minimus but realized my body is not built that way! After a hair line fracture last year I'm back with Asics wondering why I ever left!

Pros:

Plenty of cushion, protection and support on rocky trails.

The shoe has a nice thick sole.

The bottom lugs ensure no slip grip on most surfaces (haven't tried wet boulders/rocks yet).

The rock plate is a dream! Why can't this be standard in all trail shoes?

Incredible comfort. From the plush tongue and ankle cushions to the breathable mesh. For me, they are true to size but I have small bony feet...

Stony trails feel like running on carpet. As long as the trail is not technical you don't have to think where to plant your feet.

Cons:

They are a little heavy and "clunky" at times. They ride high so sometimes you don't "feel the road". I'd rather this than another fracture so it's a plus for me!

The colors. It's indeed bright and flashy but honestly you buy shoes for the ride right? These will deliver with flying colors.

-------------------------------

So far I've logged 50+ miles and they show no signs of wear. I don't see why I won't get the full 500 out of them :)

Enjoy the run!

-CS

****UPDATE****

I'm at 150+ miles and these are by far my favorite pair of shoes. Comfy ride with tons of traction. The lugs are thick and grip the ground nicely but are spaced in such a way that you don't bring stones in with you after. If only I bought more pairs... now the price has gone up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the slightly wide foot. GRT approved, January 27, 2014
This shoe was the result of a search spanning 7 different brands/styles looking for a shoe I could complete my first Goruck Challenge. After realizing I needed a shoe that fit my exact foot due to plantar fasciitis issues I would get after long training runs/rucks, I started the search.

My foot is apparently just wider than most D shoes, but good luck finding 2EE in most brand/styles and 4EE was just too wide. I had a hard time also with the heel cup being too small in most shoes I tried on. New Balance and Sacouny's tended to have wider heel cups (compared to Salomon/Adidas), but the toe box width wasn't quite there. I ended up with a half size larger to get the width right, but the Asics Gel-Scouts were just right.

The heel-to-toe drop is in the ~8mm range, but felt closer to 12mm. The tongue has a nifty flap to tuck your laces up into to keep them from dangling around and coming loose. The light blue color is more prominent in person than on the picture available on amazon, but I learned looks have to come second when trying to find a shoe you're going to put a lot of time on.

The insole is pretty thin and has a lot of mesh covered holes. I assume to allow better drainage / breathing, but you can replace them as you can with any.

The only negative I have is that the sole out of the box is pretty slippery on wet and smooth surfaces. I noticed it some even on concrete side walks, but it appears to have subsided after getting worn in some.

I just completed my first Goruck Challenge in these bad boys. 12.5 hours and 19.5 miles with at least 40lbs on my back at all times. This exceeded my previous farthest ruck by 9.5 miles and not a HINT of plantar fasciitis the next day. My first pair of Asics and I'm very impressed.

Shoes that didn't make the cut:
Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra2 - I wanted these to work, but the heel cup was way too small and the toe box very narrow. Even the wider width didn't resolve those issues and the cost almost double these. Was also worried about drainage issues (GRC guarantees full submersion)
Saucony Peregrine 3.0 - My next choice, very nice shoes, but were slightly tighter across the toe box. Enough to notice side by side with the Gel Scouts
Saucony Xodus 4.0 - Very nice shoes, toe box was slightly smaller than the Peregrines. Look awesome though
New Balance 1210 - Toe box issues as well
New Balance MO790s - Hiking/trail runner that I liked, but again, toe box width and possible drainage issues kept me away

Hope this helps.

EDIT: product page clarifies these have a ~8mm drop, it just felt much more when compared to 4mm drop Saucony's I had with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe, February 8, 2013
This is a great shoe. Well fitting for my feet, which are a bit narrow. It's a bit clunky, but that's part of being a trail shoe. So do leave it for the trails...you'll like it less if you wear it for the usual road running, plus you'll wear it out sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASICS Men's GEL-Scout Trail Running Shoe, Nice shoe, January 7, 2013
I have gone on five runs since receiving this shoe. Comfort is good, sizing is pretty standard, it may run close to a 1/2 size big. I wear a size 12 and they may be just a little big. As far as durability goes, time wil tell. Great traction!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, questionable durability., July 30, 2013
I've worn these shoes for just over 80 miles and they have already torn along the front foot crease. I'm not sure if a thorn or branch caught them, but I can't imagine that is the case because the tear appears uniform on either side of the shoe.
Aside from this, these are very comfortable shoes. I've been running mostly off road in some pretty bad trail conditions (rocky and deep wet mud) and have been pleased with the comfort but the durability is not what I expect in a shoe this expensive. These are breathable and light enough from my perspective, but I am a bigger guy. (225lbs)

3.0 out of 5 stars Softer than I thought, February 10, 2013
Eduardo (Santiago, Chile) - See all my reviews
Otherwise comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool trail shoe, March 20, 2013
light weight, good construction, fits well without slipping, I run in the desert and the foot plate protects my feet from small to average rocks...worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars Use them for walking and work, January 10, 2014
I bought these shoes for walking because I walk 3 miles daily. They treat my feet much better than my older shoes. I am a pharmacy technician and also use them at work because I am on my feet for several hours. They look nice too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic shoe, September 23, 2013
This is my fourth pair of these and I love them. Good support, good traction and comfortable. Will buy again if still available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly comfortable shoe ...and not just for a trail shoe.....great shoe, December 2, 2012
Great fit, comfortable. Vert stable on the trail. I gave up pavement running for the most part and just run trails and this shoe feels like a light running shoe. This shoe is light, comfortable with great trail stability even when trail is wet. Might buy another pair for weekend wear. Thanks ASICS !