Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASICS Women's GEL-Kayano 18 Running Shoe,Titanium/White/Neon Purple,9.5 M US
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Size: 9.5 B(M) US|Color: Titanium/White/Neon Purple|Change
Price:$144.95

on November 7, 2011
Out of the box the kayano 18 were defective, the tongue was faaaar too short for the shoes. I will be going back to the 17...Tried the 18 for a couple runs. There is no support in the upper. Asics has sacrificed the performance of the kayano series for weight. The 17's were light enough, while the 18's are lighter they are not supportive. I am looking for an alternative to kayanos moving forward-too bad they were a great shoe up until the 18's.
on December 28, 2011
I bought a pair of Kayano 17s earlier this year and absolutely love them. I was excited to try the 18s, even though I don't *need* another pair of running shoes yet. Sadly, I was in pain as soon as I put them on. The new design is missing the flexible webbed pane on the inside part of the upper (where the big toe meets the rest of the foot). Instead, it has rigid material that does not give a single bit, which is a deal-breaker if you have a bunion on your foot. I could feel the pressure on my bunion as soon as I laced this shoe up - totally unlike the 17s, which are very accommodating. BOTTOM LINE: This shoe might be fine for most feet, but if you have bunions, look elsewhere.
33 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2012
I love running but I also have a job where I'm on my feet a lot. My old shoes were simply that, too old and too small after hours of standing. I tried on several different kinds of shoes- saucouny, asics, puma, mizuno, etc. What I like to do is have one brand on one foot, and a totally different brand on the other foot so I can compare how they are structured. This asics shoe in the right size felt wonderful! It gave my toes enough room and space during my gait but it also hugs you at the arch of the foot. The heel also feels supported. I typically wear a size 8 shoe but for whatever reason due to swellling or how they are making shoes now- the best size for me with this brand is 9 1/2. I highly suggest you play with shoe size regardless of what you THINK your size is so you get the best fit. My big toe does not ride close to the front of the shoe but remains about an inch away. This does not create slipping or slideing of the shoe as I walk or run.

I do believe I will buy insoles however, as I would with any shoe purchase for that extra added comfort.
on September 3, 2012
This is my first review on Amazon. I normally don't see the need of posting a review on a product because there are so many people that do. HOWEVER, you need to know that the Kayano 18 was radically changed from the previous versions. I started with the 16 and loved it. I moved to the 17 with no problem. In fact, the 17 was an improvement from the 16.

The 18, however, has given me blisters for the first time ever as a runner. You can hate me, but I am one of those people who never gets blisters or black toe nails. I should have known something was suspicious because I could tell the shoe fit differently as soon as I put it on. At the time, I thought I was just being sensitive and overreacting.

After several months of low mileage running (nothing over 8 miles), the shoe is tolerable. Hmmm... I never had to "break in" my previous versions of this shoe. With this shoe, I clearly did. Yet, it is still a mediocre fit compared to my previous versions. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad shoe. However, if you are a previous owner of earlier versions, do NOT purchase the Kayano 18. I wish I had read the reviews before purchasing as other people have similar thoughts. Lesson learned for me. I hope there is still a pair of 17s in my size.
on September 25, 2012
For months and months I have been buying and then returning shoes because they were not comfortable. I like to walk, and I also work a couple times a week at a place that has a cement floor. I have to walk on the cement floor for several hours at a time. One arch hurt terribly after I had walked or worked. I finally decided to pay a little more and buy these Asics Kayano 18 Running Shoes. Almost immediately, I experienced no pain in my arch and now, after a couple months of wearing these shoes, I don't even think about the pain I had. These shoes are extremely comfortable. The gel cushioning is what makes the difference. I am completely satisfied that I have finally found the right shoes.
on December 17, 2013
Why we prefer Asics Nimbus....
Excellent support/comfortable for high-arched feet!
Affordable compared to other running shoes
Podiatrist recommended
Extra gel for less stress on the joints

Brief History-
I have done a lot of research in choosing the best running/active shoe.I am a Spinning and Group exercise instructor. I teach/attend fitness classes 4-5 days a week and have run 4 half-marathons. I have not always been this active, but I must say the type of shoe I have bought makes or breaks my workout. Several years ago, I used to buy cheap exercise shoes with no support out of ignorance. I began having piercing pain in the balls of my feet. Due to having extremely high arches and bad tennis shoes, I fractured the bones in both of my feet (Sesamoid fracture of the foot)!! Since I began wearing Asics Kayano shoes, I have had no foot problems, even after all the harsh training I have put them through. By choosing better quality shoes, I am more motivated to workout knowing that I won't suffer another foot injury and endure foot and joint pain.

Uses of this Shoe - If you want the best running shoe- go with Asics Kayano. I have trained and run 4 half-marathons in the Women's Kayano Running shoe and wouldn't have worn anything different. I chose Kayano because I have a high arch and the Kayano provides extra gel and arch support. If you have feet issues, you may need insoles for these shoes if you plan to be very active or train for races. I chose the powerstep insoles and they compliment the Asics shoes very well. I never run/walk without these shoes! Even if you are not an avid runner, these shoes are great for an active lifestyle. If you chose a poor shoe, you may suffer back, knee, and foot problems later.

Price Comparison- In my opinion, there is not much variation between the Numbers 14, 15, and 16, etc. except for the colors and outward appearance of the shoe. Others may notice a difference in the shoe, but I have not noticed a different feel in the year models. I prefer to buy last years model because you save $$. Amazon is definitely the lowest cost when compared to shoe stores or any other online store.

Choosing Color- I have previously bought Asics shoes that were lighter in color. They are a little hard to keep clean. The more white material there is, the more dirt that shows. This year, I bought the Pink/Grey color 6 months ago, wear them every day and they still look and feel brand new!
(One thing I do to preserve my newer running shoes is wear the new ones indoors and on pavement. I wear my old models in the yard and on muddy running trails. Even though my older shoes look dirty, they still have plenty of support and miles left in them!)

Sizing- Good or Bad fit ?
My advice for buying any shoe online: Go to a store, try a pair on, and walk around in them! Some people complain about their shoes not fitting right after buying them online. It just makes sense in my head to try a pair on before you buy them even if you feel lazy about it. You will save yourself having a bad experience. Many people complain about this model being too narrow in the toe area. There is a Wide size available- so if you have narrow feet, that may be a better option. I ALWAYS buy a 1/2 size bigger in running shoes because it gives more room in the toe area. I have trained in bad, small shoes before and it left bloody toes and blisters.

Overall, I recommend these shoes to anyone seeking to preserve their body while living an active lifestyle. These shoes were recommended to me by my doctor and I will continue to give them a great review and recommendation!
on February 18, 2013
I really like these shoes they fit me great and are very comfortable. They are also very stylish which I love. A lot of the negative reviews address issues with running and I haven't found any of these issues with these. I am not a big runner however, I mainly use these as shoes for working out at the gym including running on the treadmill, and for classes like dance and zumba.

My weight loss goals have me attempting many different workouts so I wanted some shoes that would be comfortable and also support me. One of my friends suggested these and I am glad I chose them as they have been great for me. I have used them for about 2 months now without issue. My various workout routines plus a healthier diet plus the use of the weight loss supplement Raspberry Ketones, 100% Natural Weight Loss with Raspberry Ketone have led me to lose 7 pounds in the past month. In the future I want to be a runner so as I lose weight and put more miles on these shoes maybe I will feel the effects mentioned in other reviews. If so, it looks like the 17's would be a good choice!
on March 22, 2012
I have worn Asics brand running shoes for the past 4 years. I replace them every 6-7 months and the Kyano 18's are by far the worst shoe I have ever worn. I developed neuroma, shin splints, and had aches in my legs/feet after using these for a little under a month. A similar situation happened with a girl at my gym. She wore them for the first time last week on a quick jog developed shinsplints and ankle pain. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THESE AT ALL. B
on May 22, 2012
First time I felt an ASICS shoe needed to be broken-in since it felt a little narrow (minus 1 star). The colors (white/light blue/silver) were not eye catching :( and the pair looks like a standard shoe (minus a second star). On the other hand there's lots of cushioning and the usual great ASICS build (will always be an ASICS fan). (my info - women's size 9, jog/walk 4 miles per day, lower back and knee problems)
on February 22, 2014
I was initially skeptical that these would be worth the price, since I don't usually pay that much for sneakers but they're now the only model I wear. I don't run but I do a lot of walking and these are completely comfortable. I've gotten back and knee pain before but since I switched to these, no problems at all.

See 1 answered question