5.0 out of 5 stars Great ankle brace
Published on October 21, 2010 by drew

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use The seller Flexibrace
The item wasn't what it appeared to be in the picture, it looked like the heel is closed,in reality it's open.I got the return # from the company & sent the item back.It took over a month,many e-mails,& a claim filed to get my money back.When I did get my money it wasn't the total amount,they charge a restocking fee which isn't prevalent in the sellers info.I won't use...
Published 16 months ago by ebri

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ankle brace, October 21, 2010
drew (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
I have probably bought 6 different ankle braces in a never-ending quest to find the perfect one. My wife makes fun of me about this every time I bring a new one home. I used an uncomfortable ankle brace with stiff plastic rods in it for a long time, before I finally bought the McDavid based on a recommendation from a basketball buddy. Then I decided to buy this one for comparison. They have exactly the same design with a few minor differences, and both work extremely well to stabilize the ankle without being uncomfortable. The McDavid is a bit more bulky, and has something like 9 sets of eyelets to lace up, which takes a while to tighten/loosen. It also felt a bit tight in the forefoot initially, although that has improved with breaking in, to the point where it no longer bothers me. The ASO has a smaller profile and only has 6 sets of eyelets to tighten/loosen, which makes it easier to use. I like them both, and now use one on each ankle. I prefer the ASO for ease of use, but the difference between the two is minor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soccer player with bad ankles..., November 16, 2010
M. Thomas (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been playing soccer for over 20 years with a long stint playing basketball. During my basketball career once or twice a year I would roll one of my ankles really bad coming down from a jump. I quit basketball long ago, but it caused me to be plagued with bad ankles ever since and they started coming back playing indoor soccer in the last couple years. I have been taping them each game, but with two games a week this becomes a long tedious process and I can't tell you how much I have spent buying sport tape.

So I decided to check if there were any really good ankle wraps. I needed something light, easy to put on, and very supportive. I read the reviews and decided to buy both the ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis (size large--I wear size 11 shoes) and the McDavid Lightweight Ankle Brace because both reviewed very favorably. After 4 games wearing both, I have to pick the ASO as the clear winner for me. There are a few less lace loops to cinch in the ASO, which makes it easier to put on. The tongue of the ASO is a lil stretchy with helps for a comfortable fit. And with the extra straps around the outside the whole thing just feels tighter and more protective.

I do have to note that both are very protective as I have not rolled my ankles in either. I just felt the ASO gives a lil more protection and support with a much more comfortable fit. My shin guards fit a lil better over the McDavid's though, but I found that just pushing the guard up an inch or so higher worked better. The McDavid's also started rubbing on the back of my ankle above my heel. To be fair this could be my fault for not tightening them again after I warmed up...which I definitely recommend.

So after the trials I decided to by a 2nd ASO and I await its delivery as we speak. So for all you soccer players with bad ankles, I highly recommend the ASO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Brace, April 3, 2012
Kev032 (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
I received one of these at the sport med clinic that I was an intern at. I have a chronically weak/lax ankle from multiple sprains over the years and cannot play sports without it braced. In addition, I have been working in the sports med field for 5 years... I have seen a tried several braces, but I found the ASO to provide the the best combination of support, comfort, and flexibility of any that I've worn. If I had my way, I'd tape my ankle everytime, but this brace comes close to the same type of support. If worn correctly (not too tight or too loose), this brace provides great support. I don't recommend this for acute injuries or sprains, but does provide great added support for chronically weak or lax ankles. Proper application of this brace is important...

One thing to remember is that the most common ankle injury is an inversion sprain, so I always recommend that you tighten the outside strap last... That is key to helping prevent "rolling over" on the ankle. Anyone who's sprained their ankle this way knows exactly what I'm talking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for ankle sprain recovery, March 13, 2011
This is the third type of brace have bought in the 5 weeks following a moderate ankle sprain. I had tried a simple compression brace and a neoprene brace with straps. Neither provided enough support and both would cut off circulation to the heel. The ASO brace provides plenty of support and has never cut off circulation to any part of my foot. It does limit range of motion a bit (to be expected) but I run in it regularly with no noticeable impact. I use it with and without socks and have never received any annoying rubs, pokes, or blisters.

4.0 out of 5 stars as advertised, September 5, 2008
- not as flexible as an ace for range of motion, but gives more support and is more adjustable than your shoes - has laces and velcro straps.
- for initial treatment of a sprain I found the air cast gave more relief from pain and adequate support, however once I was up and walking around I wanted the aso to make sure I didn't turn my foot the wrong way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, June 13, 2011
I have extremely weak ankles.. I roll them almost every week when I play basketball. I got these braces last week and they are AWESOME! They give amazing support to my ankles and I don't feel restricted in them. There is no way I can roll my ankles in these!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best running purchase I've ever made, February 20, 2013
I'm a trail runner. I run year around: snow, rain, it doesn't matter. I've always had weaker ankles and would twist one about once every 4 months. It was really concerning. So I started researching ankle braces. I finally decided on these (the runner up being aircast). WOW!!! Seriously! I run with better form and with much more confidence! The support is great. It's only dug into me a few times, but only when I wear shorter socks. I've run 6 miles on wooded trails with these and they're fine. In the summer I get very sweaty under them but I'll take that over a twisted ankle any day.

While running, there have been many occasions where I step the wrong way or step half on a rock I didn't see. I say to myself "that would have been a twisted ankle if I wasn't wearing these."

Let me just end by saying this: Your stabilizer muscles will need to be trained if you continuously run with these. Every time I run I wear these. I love them that much. So I use a balance board and jump rope a lot to keep my ankle stabilizers in shape.

5.0 out of 5 stars McDavid vs ASO, June 19, 2011
I bought the McDavid Ankle with Strap (Sports) after twisting my ankle one week before Tough Mudder SOcal. During my event, this brace worked flawlessly, and comes highly recommended.

I do a lot of hiking on uneven terrain, and came close to twisting my other ankle. So I decided to buy the other highly reviewed ankle brace, the ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis.

The good points:
They both work on the same principle, and are both effective at their purpose. A tight fitting, but still flexible foot brace, with two cross straps, and one around the lower shin/upper ankle strap.

They both get a 5 star rating from me, there are minor differences between the two, with which I will list here:

The McDavid is tighter on the top of the foot, and is harder to remove. Tends to be slightly uncomfortable if overtightened. You have to untie multiple laces to be able to remove it. It feels more snug than the ASO. I would say this one offers slightly better support around the ankles, at cost of more discomfort. Good if you have more of a severe sprain.

The ASO gives you more mobility, still with great support on the ankle. Easier to remove.

I wear 9.5 shoes, so I have medium for both.

Overall, they are both good, but the McDavid feels slightly tighter on the foot. I still give both 5 stars, since they both perform as designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASO Ankle Orthosis Is As Described: Stabilizing, April 14, 2011
The ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis - Black - Smallworks as described. I bought this item for my daughter a few days after she severely sprained her ankle in tumbling. Since this item cannot be returned, we followed the instructions and carefully measured her ankle according to the instructions on the site. We determined she needed the small brace. It fit perfectly. She has had other ankle braces that she has not liked for various reasons. She says this one is comfortable and definitely provides her with a secure feeling that her ankle is stable. She has worn it doing tumbling (several back tucks, aerial cartwheels, etc.), playing soccer (goalkeeper on a premiere team, lots of jumping, cutting, kicking, etc.) and playing Ultimate Frisbee (lots of running, cutting, jumping). Except for occasional pain from sudden impact compression (landing hard on the ball and toes of her feet in tumbling or punting with the laces), she says she feels no pain and does not fear her ankle turning or giving out at all. She is completely happy with this brace and is glad we discovered it! I'm now adding to this review since my daughter has had a chance to use this brace extensively over a few weeks. Even though the original ankle she sprained has mostly healed, she plans to continue wearing the brace due to very loose ligaments. Unfortunately, this has now led to a severe sprain in her other ankle. She does not want to discontinue all of her sports so she has requested another brace and plans to wear both at all times while playing sports. I am adding yet another addendum to the above review. My daughter has been using both braces now for all of her activities. She LOVES these braces and plans to always wear them when doing sports as a preventive measure now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and support in the right ways., December 2, 2013
This review is from: ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis - Black - Small (Health and Beauty)
First of all I recieved this in record time. 48 hours to Southern California.

I have played soccer for over 10+ years, rugby for 4+ years, basketball for 8+ years and ran track and field for 8+ years. For the first time ever, while playing basketball, I sprained my ankle. Grade 2. Partially torn ligaments. Its been two weeks and I still can't walk with a normal stride. I am ordering this so that I have support while I walk around during my daily activities.

This is the first brace I have ever tried or ever worn.

Size: I wear a size 9 shoe and 13 inch ankle measured around the heel. I fell within the small or medium size according to the sizing chart. I played it safe and and went with a small. The small is a great fit. Its really snug and I'm sure if someone's foot was a little too big for the small, this brace could accommodate. Also, this fits into my shoe no problem.

Fit/Support: The first thing I noticed is that the middle of the laces are stitched onto the front part of the brace. This will help keep the laces even and help keep things lined up. I laced up the brace and this first layer of protection is pretty firm and comfortable. This lace up part of the brace prevents over flexing your foot up towards the sky and down to the ground. I wanted to restrict the most movement as possible of my foot and laced them pretty tight. The figure 8 straps are where the real support comes in. The straps reinforce the up/down resistance that is originally provided for by the lace up part of the brace. The velcro on the side for the straps is on the brace in a way that helps you align the straps to the proper position and same way every time (just like what stitching the laces onto the brace will do). Not only do these straps greatly reinforce the up/down resistance, because of the way the straps wrap around your foot and back to the same side, these straps will work to resist the "rolling" or eversion/ inversion action that leads sprains. Then to top it off there is a final strap that wraps around the top of your ankle above the ankle bones... the "high" ankle area. This strap gives good compression as the other two parts of the brace does. It also secures the laces so nothing gets loose.

Range of motion: When sitting, with no shoes on, with my foot flat on the ground, with brace as tight as possible, while not cutting off circulation, the brace limits heel from rising to about 1/3 the distance off the ground compared to my other foot. Again, I am still recovering from the sprain so this low range of motion might be due to the sprain. If I loosen everything up the range of motion frees up. The straps still prevent rolling of the ankles however loose the lace up part of the brace is. I can move my foot left and right which is good and the brace does protect from moving the foot left and right too much. All ranges of motion are protected for. Compared to a professional athletic trainer's tape job, this gives less support but more range of motion.

Rating: The reason I gave this four stars instead of five is because as a life long athlete I have had to tape my ankles up before and this brace just doesn't give you that total all direction firm security. This brace mimics when athletic trainers tape the ankle in a lot of ways, the lace up part of the brace mimics the base layer of ankle taping and the figure 8 straps mimic the tape layer that goes around the heel from outside of your foot to the inside. In my humble opinion, the part of real athletic trainer style tape job that this brace is missing, is the the layer of tape that goes from the middle of your foot, past the heel, then ends at the achilles/ calf. This layer of tape keeps the foot bent at a desired angle. This layer helps keep the heel off the ground and adds resistance to accidentally flexing your foot too far up and jamming the front part of the ankle.

Comments: As an ankle brace It provides great support and keeps everything real tight and compressed. I couldn't say how well it compares to other braces. This brace does not fully mimic a real tape job which I suppose is one of its intended purposes. This brace will help to prevent respraining if you heal up to 100% because it adds resistance to the inversion, eversion motions and adds quick support in all the right ways. This brace is way faster than a tape job and for my purpose, the need for extra support while walking around, its awesome. Because it can't fully mimic a tape job (and I don't suppose any brace could), I wouldn't have 100% confidence in this brace to replace a tape job and confidence is everything in sports.

TL;DR: Lots of support in a way that will resist ankle sprains. Way faster than taping your ankles up, but not as good. Really comfortable and shipped super fast.

ASO Ankle Stabilizing Orthosis - Black - Small