Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2001
As a serious developer, nothing is more valuable than nicely annotated code samples. This 878-page book is packed with code, with server-side code in VB. I bought this book together with Programming Data-Driver Web Applications With ASP.NET by Mack and Seven. (These two are among the authors of this book, Tips, Tutorials, etc.) Between the two I have a nice library to draw on for help on my current .NET development project.
I have found the SAMS Teach Yourself series very useful in spite of their beginner level content. This book is part of a newer series from SAMS (blue spines with glossy photos of the galaxy) that are intended as in-depth resources for professionals. SO far the six that I have rank with the very best professional series from Apress and seem a bit beyond the always timely and usually useful WROX books.
on December 17, 2001
The book really stands for the title. I found in the book what I was looking for, something to get me started in ASP.NET without it beeing a begginers guide for novice programers. It takes you through every aspect of ASP.NET wich makes some chapters more interesting than others (ADO.NET, XML, Mobile Devices, etc..) almost all the chapters leave you greedy for more (specially passport authentication, webservices, managing state with SQL-Server) but the book is already 837 pages. This is the first time I see ASP.NET covered in every important aspect (web controls, caching and I never saw passport for example).
A mistake was made, by giving the framework sdk in the cd instead of the sample code, wich you can find in a million zip files in the web.
They also failed in telling the sample code is intended to follow your progress in the book. That means you won't see quality code untill chapter 16 (separating code form presentation). I think they made a good desicion, so if your looking for a source of sample code this is the wrong place (Go to the web).
I don't think this will become a reference book for me. As soon as you become proficient in the platform the book becomes shallow but this is the first time i'm happy with a book since i bought "Hitchhiker's guide to visual basic and SQL". This book succeds in having all the Tips, Tutorials and Code you need to get serious into ASP.NET today!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
on September 6, 2001
This book was written with the everyday developer and everyday problem in mind. Things such as graphics on the web, securing a web application, deploying a web application, User Controls, and much much more are covered. There is much more than just great souce code. Many of the authors are well known corporate trainers who have worked in the 'real world' and understand what developers need to solve 'real world' problems. As a result of their teaching experience, the explanations in this book are top notch. I don't think I have ever read a book that was so easy to read and so applicable to my everyday development. My entire development team has purchased it and if you are an intermediate to advanced ASP developer then I highly suggest you get yourself a copy.
on May 13, 2003
It is an excellent book. Especially I like the way the authors teach. For a task, first it uses ASP 3.0 to show you how it works and then ASP.NET. It explains the differences between the classical ASP and the ASP.net, why the ASP.net is better. If you use ADO.net, you can't avoid using the namespaces "System.Data.SqlClient" and "System.Data.Oledb", the methods "ExecuteReader()" and "ExecuteNonQuery()". The author gives explanations in an extremely clear way. It tells you what they are, what differences between the two and when to use them. All the ADO examples are made by the both namespaces. It is so clear, there are no nonsense words. Another review mentioned already for another good thing is the Security. I haven't seen any other books to do so. If you are like me - want answers quickly and clearly. You got the right book. Highly recommend!!!!!
on September 17, 2001
I had reservations about jumping directly into .Net with a `tips & tricks' book. My reservations were unwarranted. This book is so clearly written that it affords a good starting place for programmers just getting started in .Net as well as an excellent resource for programmers already experienced in the language.

Providing clear descriptions of common techniques the book outlines the presumably easy stuff that often gets tangled up in syntax when dealing with a new language. The essential subjects which one may not expect to find in a `tips' book are thoroughly covered in this book (connecting to Databases, creating/reading/writing files, page display tips, paging).
The extensive classes and capabilities of .Net are richly represented. Some of the subjects that were detailed with lots of info I found useful were: writing .net pages for mobile devices, reading web.config files, web services, performance tips, separating code from content.
Most notably this book is written from the perspective that the audience is new to .Net and new terminology is carefully explained so as to provide the reader with a clear understanding of the language. The book is absolutely loaded with more advanced information than I am unable to comment on. As my experience with .Net increases and I am able to apply more of the information to our web structure I believe it will be one of my favorite .Net books.
The authors did a great job of representing .Net as the phenomenal & versatile platform that it has shown itself to be.
on September 13, 2001
"I know some of the writers by reputation which encouraged me to buy the book. I was not disappointed. This is a talented group of coders that collectively have written a Bible on tips and tricks ranging from using XML to common code techniques. I don't think anyone will be disappointed at their wide coverage of all the details you hope and expect to find. Beginners and experts alike really should add this to their "must have" list.
Spanning almost 900 pages and including a CD-ROM it is an excellent value for the price.
on September 9, 2002
This is basically the 'next level'.....when you're finally finished with the basic understanding of the new DotNet paradigm and you really want to get started doing something for real - this is the book to get...
From Validation, Code Techniques and ADO.Net all the way to Web Services, Mobile Controls and Performance tips - this book is worth its weight in gold.
on September 9, 2002
Like I judge my Netflix movies - do I watch it or not. Well I apply the same to books. Essentially should you buy and reference this great book - or not.
My advice, from using it while I quickly gained insight into building my first complex ASP.NET app, is to spend the dough. ASP.NET is such a mind bender from my years of build in Classic ASP apps that without the myriad of examples and escalated complexity of code snippets I'd have easily thrown up my hand in disgust. Luckily all I had to do was thumb through this book and pick and choose what I needed.
In the consumer world - the world is black and white - do you buy it - or not. In this case - buy it.
on September 9, 2002
I recently used this book as one of the textbooks for an ASP.NET course I taught. I selected it because it has clear, concise examples and was very easily understood. It also is a great reference for my students once they're done with the class. The students (mostly people with NO ASP or .Net experience) agreed. They loved this book.
on September 10, 2002
I have used this book many times for quick look ups and more general perspectives on coding ideas and directions. It covers a large array of subjects, so it is not extremely in depth on any one subject. However, that does not detract from its overall usefullness. Definitely worth buying.