5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, yet very complete
This book is a must have for anyone considering being adopted by a cat (don't fool yourself on who owns who...) It's full of good information, most of which will not loose any relevance as time goes by. It also includes a very well illustrated "catalog" of breeds, which is a great help to decide which kind of cat you want to cede your house to.
As it...
Published on June 8, 2000 by Joss Delage

3.0 out of 5 stars ASPCA Complete Guide toCats
I thought this book would have had more info it was ok but it could have been better. The pictures of all the cats were adorable!!!
Published 28 days ago by Sithlord

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, yet very complete, June 8, 2000
Joss Delage (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASPCA Complete Guide to Cats: Everything You Need to Know About Choosing and Caring for Your Pet (Aspc Complete Guide to) (Paperback)
As it is published by the ASPCA, it also has a fairly strong and opinionated editorial stance, which is something I found refreshing & courageous. (For example, they clearly are against not neutering your cat, buying from a pet store, and to a lesser extent letting your cat go out by themselves.)
All and all, a very complete yet fun to read book, which manages to pack a lot of info & beautiful pictures in a tight format.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cat's meow of guides..., June 11, 2003
As anyone who knows me knows, I have cats. I seem to attract them, well, like cats! I have cat joys and cat tragedies especially prominent in the past few years, with two outdoor disappearances and one indoor death, yet with wonderful new additions and the experience of sharing my home with seven new kittens born under my desk one summer, and five more from a different stray the next summer.
I had always considered cats low maintenance, essentially self-sufficient. This was a requirement to me, as I'm not home very often, and when I am, I can't spend too much time on cat duty. This was the reason I opted for cats over dogs. I was raised a dog person. But dogs require attention several times a day. Sorry, can't do it...
Well, with all that happened in the past year, I found that cats, while generally low-maintenance, have periods nonetheless in which they need special care and attention (even if, like Emma, they don't really want it). Thus, being a person in the education mode, I decided I needed to learn more. It just so happened that one of my book clubs was offering the ASPCA Complete Guide to Cats, so I ordered it.
This has been a gem of a book. It is complete, concise yet filled with information, well organised, colourful and picture-ful, durable (slick coating on the covers and a finish on the pages means the cats can walk across with dampened paws and not destroy the book, useful when it is opened when I attending their needs).
The first section discusses how and when to bring a cat home. It addresses such issues as cats and kids, preparing the home for a cat, your own readiness, and which kind is most appropriate for which environment. It also discusses what to do when welcoming your new friend into the home. Food, vet care, litter (to box or not to box, ah, that is a question!), and how to introduce new cats to other cats is discussed.
The second section is a reference guide to cat breeds. In addition to specific breeds organised alphabetically (Abyssinian to York Chocolate) it talks about coat palettes and patterns, colourations, paw and toe issues, and special needs. The breed section identifies special grooming and dietary needs, lap- and kid-friendly breeds, energy, and of course, wonderful photographs of representative cats for each breed.
Section three gives a bit of biological and physiological information, about cats, as well as (if it is possible!) some insight into the psychological functioning of cats. Are they really that smart? Are they really that clean? It addresses mating habits and catnip addictions, too!
The fourth section has been the most important to me, Taking care of your cat. It discusses briefly everyday feeding and care, but then has a good section on potential health concerns, what to do in the case of injury and illness, gives home nursing tips (important with Emma), and how to deal with both the beginning and end of the lifespan, which, with new kittens in the bedroom and a declining Emma in the living room, I was dealing with both ends of the spectrum.
This is an excellent one-volume reference to cats, useful for anyone who cares for cats. The appendices have glossaries, telephone numbers and resources, and recommended readings to continue a feline-related education.
But, if you just pick this one up for the pictures, it would be worth it for that too. And you might just learn something along the way--always a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars well organized, great photos, very good overall, April 9, 2002
ALEX YONG (brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
has easy to use icons to help you match desirable traits to certain breeds. Examples: "Lap cat", "Talkative", "High Energy", "Special Grooming Needs" ... having read the section on the Burmese breed, for example, I can now say, yes their looks are great, but for me, their personality mismatches what i'm looking for in a cat.
has abundant information without being the size of a cinder block. in fact, this book is nice and compact, about the size of a mousepad and an inch thick. the high quality photos are beautiful and the kittycats are so adorable (the cat is my absolute favorite animal!) Minor nitpick: the Ragamuffin breed and the Pixiebob breed aren't featured. i like keeping this book on my coffee table for my cat-loving friends to enjoy too

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reference book, February 25, 2003
By A Customer
This book is ideal for someone who is considering adopting a kitten or cat. It has abundant info on breeds, including each breed's talkativeness, activity level, and temperament. The numerous photos are captivating. It deals with basic aspects of feline life phases, health & bodily functions, and behavior. It is a useful guide to the cat owner regarding the basics of pet care & problem solving. This is quite a thorough book for being a slim volume, and it was my constant companion through kittenhood.
By the way, our cat has stayed with friends several times when we were out of town, and I have found it useful to loan them _Aspca Complete Guide to Cats_ along with the kitty. It is an entertaining read for the sitters and puts my mind at ease.
If you already have a cat and want more in depth reading, I recommend _The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus_ by Stephen Budiansky, which I found fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cat book ever!, March 27, 2009
This book has been around for a few years and I've bought copies not only for myself, but for friends and family members who love cats. The information on breeds and cat care is valuable but what I really appreciate are the beautiful photos throughout the book.
There are numerous cat books out there and I can never resist taking a look, but this little volume surpasses them all. It's simply a beautiful book which I would highly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, December 10, 2011
This is a very good introductory to cats. It covers a broad range of topics with a good amount of detail. I am an animal sciences major and we used this as a textbook in one of our courses, so that should tell you something about the quality of information.

There are definite points of view expressed in this guide, but I've found them to be in line with everything else I have learned from the veterinary community as well as animal shelters. People may disagree with some of the stances taken by the ASPCA, but there is good evidence for those expressed in this book.

The companion guide for dogs is identical in format, and some of the information in the health section is almost word-for-word the same. The two are very comparable in quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide for cat owners, a little overwhelming for a newbie, April 9, 2008
I just adopted my furry son Riley, and this book has been very helpful. I'm a novice cat owner and, although I'm familiar with cats, I was a bit nervous about deciphering behavior and making his transition easy on both of us. The Complete Guide to Cats is very practical and down to earth - every suggestion comes with several ways of implementing it. I found the guide to behavior and the section on feeding and litterbox selection to be particularly helpful. The section on breeds, while interesting, was a little overwhelming - my guy is an orange tabby of no particular breed and I got a little hung up on the various grooming requirements before I figured him out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspca Complete Guide To Cats, March 24, 2002
This is a perfect resource for any of the basic questions
of cat care. I baught this book for a resource on cat breeds,
and found it helped me with much more than I expected. It's great to better understand problems you might find in your cat, and how to look out for them as well. It takes you from purring, to what is believed to be the most intellegent breeds of cat, to charts of your kitty's organs. I think it's got a little bit of everything and it's easy to understand. It should be in everyone's kitty book collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, January 31, 2004
This was a really good book. The author did a good job at explaining the behaviors of cats. He also points out which breeds are good in which homes. The color pictures are just beautiful... and some are extremely funny. I highly recommend this book to anyone that has even a smidgen of interest in cats. There are so many breeds that I did not know even existed! He also shows pictures and descriptions of mixed breed cats and even points out the benefits of spaying and neutering! So full of information. It had me in awe and I thought I already knew alot. I HIGHLY recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent home resource, November 12, 2007
A well written and well informed book that would be a wonderful addition to the bookshelf of anyone who has a cat or is considering adding a cat to their household. Highly Recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›