4.0 out of 5 stars would be five stars but first one DOA
====UPDATE 11/28/2012=========================

This mobo still running great after more than 6 months of constant use
I mostly use my rig for casual gaming and as a digital audio workstation
I was thinking of getting SLI by adding another 550 Ti but not support
REASON: there are two pcie ports but configured at x16 (fastest) x4 (slow)
sli...
Published on May 13, 2012 by jmo

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad QA process from AS rock
Published 23 months ago by Derek Bush

4.0 out of 5 stars would be five stars but first one DOA, May 13, 2012
This review is from: ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AMD 970 & SB950 ATX DDR3 800 AMD - AM3+ Motherboard (Personal Computers)
====UPDATE 11/28/2012=========================

This mobo still running great after more than 6 months of constant use
I mostly use my rig for casual gaming and as a digital audio workstation
I was thinking of getting SLI by adding another 550 Ti but not support
REASON: there are two pcie ports but configured at x16 (fastest) x4 (slow)
sli requires the minimum port speeds to be x8 and x8, but this mobo is x16 and x4

BUT it does support crossfire for ATI cards.
No SLI for me but may upgrade to a better single in the future then

According to benchmarks: (2) 550 Ti SLI-ed is still lower than a single 560 Ti

Another note: the new piledrivers (successors to the bulldozers) are out, but seem to be disappointing still yet. Going to stick with my phenoms for a while. Only get FX series if you use heavy-threaded applications. FX still not optimized to handle single thread processes.

Regardless, solid mobo for the price. GET IT.

===============================================

This mobo would have definitely recieved five stars IF the first one was not DOA. computer would not start up and it was just a complete disaster. When the second one came, thanks to the amazing Amazon return/exchange policy, my build was up and running fine. It has all the modern inputs and has future proof am3+ slot when the amd fx processors are hopefully revised. But for now I have a phenom II x4 965. This mobo has no problem overclocking it to 4ghz with the configuration of bus speed of 200mhz with 20x multiplier. I did not want to touch the bus speed as it required adjusting my ram speed. This mobo does not have a onboard graphics card, which is fine because most of them are horrible anyways.

On the second board i received, I thought it had an onboard audio issue as nothing was being detected. After hours I found out that you cannot adjust volume levels until something is PLUGGED into one of the ports (usually the green one) based on the speaker configuration. Overall I am very happy that I gave asrock another chance. This was a full atx mobo at only 90 dollars. Go asrock and AMD (intel is too expensive, both cpu and mobo) Don't be a intel fanboy when AMD can perform just as well.

This mobo does come with a feature called UCC (unlock core something) which is pretty much an all in one cpu core unlocker/overclocker. I think this is meant for older amd processors that had a core turned off due to the possible defects (hence the release of x3's). Because I was curious, I turned it on, and saw that I still did have 4 cores, but my bus speed was overclocked to 250 with a 16 multiplier and the northbridge speed was set to 2500. That was quite a jump so I just disabled, especially because higher cpu voltages were read. Speaking of the BIOS, there are many options from controlling fan speed to overclocking your ram.

Oh on another note, you should always set onboard graphics to ENABLE not auto when a graphics card is installed because if you don't you get problems with the hardware confusing which audio to use, usually defaulting to the graphics card audio through the hdmi. You do not want that.

I was worried that the coolermaster 212+ would cover some ram slots... but that was not the case! I could use all four even though I am currently only using one. In short, this mobo is very compatible with pretty much anything (sorry no intel allowed here), it seems pretty durable and has caused no problems so far! My friend has a asrock matx mobo on his 2500k build for over a year and is has been running great!

Computer build:
asrock 970 extreme3 mobo
phenom II x4 965
gtx 550 ti
ram kingston hyperx 8gig 1600
haf 912 case

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gaming Board for Budget Minded Gamers, June 2, 2012
Purchased this motherboard about a month ago. It is really a great buy! Teamed with the budget minded NVIDIA GeForce GT 550 1GB graphics card and a WD 500gb hard drive,AMD FX-4100 4-core processor, 4gb of RAM & Windows 7 64 bit Home Operating System and this baby really rocks! It runs Battle Field 3 at optimum settings and gives a frame rate of 75 to 100! This is the motherboard you want for great gaming fun on the cheap! Recommended this motherboard to several of my friends for consideration of upgrades. You too, need this motherboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asrock 970, February 13, 2012
I bought this board and paired it up with a phenom II quad core and 8gb of ram. Good mobo for gaming. Have to disagree with the first review, the motherboard does have 2 pci-xpress x16 slots, but when you run them in crossfire one runs at 16x and the other runs at 4x. But overall a decent mobo for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 30, 2012
For the price of this MoBo I would say that it is unbeatable. Sleek black finish, built in HD audio, AM3+ slot and everything else you could want from a mid range MoBo. The only odd thing about it is that it is not quite full ATX size, so some of my case was unused and some of the components were hard to reach (especially the inputs from the front panels).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Extreme3, April 24, 2012
This motherboard has a lot of options in the BIOS, really a lot, if you are not sure just don't play around with it.
Well packaged by Amazon, it comes with very detailed instructions, this was my first build and I had the computer up and running in 4 hours.

I'm pleased with this product, you get am3+ compatibility, SATA III, two PCIe x16 lanes, USB 3.0 and the eSATA thingy, without spending a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, Simple, Works as intended, September 5, 2012
First and foremost, this board is fantastic. It is exactly as advertised and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Initially I purchased this board for my wife, as she was still using an old socket 939, DDR(1) machine (bleh). I just grabbed the Amazon recommended RAM ( 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz ) and CPU ( FX-4100 3.6Ghz quad-core) and this machine is decently fast. Not impressively fast, but decently.

Now, as choosing a motherboard is only half the battle, and if you're looking to build a new system, I will quickly add that the FX-4170 will yield you the best results for your $$$. In most common cases, gaming included, 8 cores are not yet supported. So, spending $200 or whatever it is when you read this on the FX-8150 is a bad plan.

I would normally separate the pros and cons, but the cons are so subtle I'll just integrate them.

*The BIOS*
The BIOS on this motherboard are relatively straight forward and easy to use, and some of the overclocking features can even be adjusted via your desktop using a utility supplied with your motherboard drivers. The overclocking options within the BIOS are much more thorough, and if OC is your thang, you won't be disappointed with the options are tweaking ability. Everything you need to blow up your CPU is right at your fingertips!
Mouse integration is also nice, however it's sometimes a bit tricky, as the pointer doesn't always indicate what you're selecting. You use the mousewheel to scroll through options, and then you *click* on that highlighted field. Weird, but it works, and is still faster than using the keyboard.

*Everything Else*
ASrock UCC - Very cool feature. Some CPUs have "locked cores" and this board will unlock those. However, I believe in an effort to make uneducated users think they just "did something cool", if you don't have locked cores, enabling this features simply overclocks your CPU a hair. Not a fan of this feature, personally.
The mobo has some sensors (or lack of) that can give a bad reading. Using SIW, I saw that one sensor was reading 315 degrees! After I regained consciousness, I looked up what was going on. No fear... the BIOS simply "fakes" a temperature if it gets no reading.
SAD - That's not an acronym, I'm just still wiping away the tears from discovering that Hybrid Crossfire and Crossfire are not the same thing, and this board does not support the former. The GPU on my CPU will remain unused until I replace motherboards. (I've been wrong before - if this is false simply let me know in a comment below, and I will update my review, thanks!)

Other than the previously specified, this mobo does exactly what it says it does. I bought mine for overclocking and gaming performance, and I'll be getting exactly what I want out of it. The backwards compatible socket also means this is a great choice if you just need to update your old motherboard in your office computer, or if you have video/photo editing software. The THX surround sound is mighty fine, too.

I am giving this board 4 stars, because there seems to be a very small amount of support (not referring to customer support. I have not needed to contact) for this board, so Googling specific information does not always yield informative results. Also, there's A LOT of third party trial software that gets installed with the CD-rom drivers that, despite un-checking, still manage to sneak in.

If you were to come across me in a dark alley and had this mobo on you, I would have to think hard about not risking my first crime. In otherwords, it's a great purchase for any build you might think of doing. And most likely will accept future AMD CPUs as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Motherboard, March 12, 2012
This motherboard is a great bang for your buck. Be sure to install the drivers that come on the CD, otherwise you will probably encounter networking problems, along with problems with your USB 3.0 ports. I was able to unlock my 960T to six cores using the core unlocker in the bios. It takes a bit of tweaking to get an overclock just right, but it's pretty foolproof. If you ever screw up your overclock, just clear the CMOS by moving the jumper on your motherboard, as shown in the manual.

4.0 out of 5 stars AsRock = Cheap Asus; Not that bad., November 6, 2012
I got this board specifically for the price point in my new(er) rig. First off the aesthetics point of view: This board just looks amazing! I've got mine in a NZXT Gaurdian with blue LED's, and a clear side panel. So I get too look at this sexy little thing throughout most my day. The placement of everything was fine for my case, I.E: HD Audio, Front Panel USB, etc. In fact all the cables reached over without a problem. One of my fans like too come lose a lot while I was putting it together, but since it is together; No problem. 5/5 For ease of installation in my opinion. As for the slots and such, no problems yet. I'm running a GTX 470, and 8Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1600Mhz, which this board can use too it's full extent. Supports my AMD FX-4170 just fine! (Great processor and RAM, by the way) And all of it too it's max capacity. I wish it had 6 SATA III's instead of 5, but I'm okay with 3 SSD's and my HDD. (Using a SATA Connected Disc Drive) Over-all for the price point and such. It's a great board. Had it for 2-3 months. Seems completely reliable. I had one problem where my RAM seemed too want too screw up, but I changed the slots over and everything's fine now. Another note: The BIOS on this thing is massively easy too use. You can set what you want right then and there without digging through multiple layers of settings. Not the best in the world, but for the price; Damn good - Arctos

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget motherboard!, August 10, 2012
I purchased this motherboard to fit into my budget level. This motherboard performs really well, as it was around $100 cheaper than other motherboards that I was looking at. I purchased this for my gaming desktop, and it fits my needs. One of the best budget motherboards that I have seen. A few things to look out for, this motherboard does not support USB 3.0 connection for computer cases to connect for the front USB 3.0 ports to work, even though the motherboard itself has two USB 3.0 ports in the back. You can either go with the ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard(which has the connection for the USB 3.0) or go with something similar or the same as Silverstone Tek EC01-P PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal 19-pin Dual Port Connector. Those products would enable you to use the front USB 3.0 ports. Another thing to look out for is that I found the boot sequence to be a little delayed. It took around 5 seconds for the first boot screen to pop up after I turned on the desktop. I purchased this through Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad QA process from AS rock, April 11, 2013
I gave this board a chance, I had to RMA the first board as it did not post, run fans, or anything. The second board was the same. The third board exhibited the same issue. I started to think that maybe the issue was me. So I called ASRock tech support, and got someone on the phone within 5 minutes (nice!). After troubleshooting for a few minutes he also concluded that the board was bad. I ordered a different 970 board from gigabyte and used all of the same components and the machine came to life on the first try. So it seems that all of my other parts were just fine and it was all three boards from ASRock.