5.0 out of 5 stars My Action Pro video camera works great!
Published on July 31, 2012 by D. F. Ramos

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, poor design of waterproof housing
I recently purchased and Astak Action Pro 1080p HD Viedo Camera with water proof case because the contents of the bundle indicated a much better value product when compared to the equivalent level of functionality offered by GoPro (i.e. GoPro camera + remote + LCD screen + additional mounts would cost at least £150 pounds more).

When I received the kit I was...
Published on October 17, 2012 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars My Action Pro video camera works great!, July 31, 2012
This review is from: ASTAK ActionPro 1080p HD Video Camera with Waterproof Case CM-7000 (Electronics)
I was shopping for an action video camera that can easily be used and set up by someone like me who is not very tech savvy and just wants it to record with one push button or remote control. I had seen the Go Pro and the Action Pro at the CES show in Vegas. The booths were right next to each other so I decided to see for myself which one is better for me. For video quality - both were great. But setting up and using the Action Pro was a lot easier. When I found out the price difference, that's when I made my decision. I have been using the Action Pro for a couple of months and I am very satisfied with no complaints. I have recorded bike trips, car trips, recorded underwater scuba diving and have taken hundreds of great photos.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, poor design of waterproof housing, October 17, 2012

When I received the kit I was impressed by the build quality of the camera and the components although I did manage to break the clip used to close the waterproof housing when first using it. I was advised that the back of the housing needs to be fully closed using hand pressure before engaging the clip which seemed odd given that the design implies that the clip can be used to apply leverage to rear door during closure.

When I tested the camera I was impressed by the ease of use, performance in low light conditions and ability to handle movement between different ambient light levels. However, when I placed the camera inside the waterproof housing I immediately noticed that I could not turn the camera on and off. For me this was a deal breaker and I cannot understand why a company would go to so much trouble designing an excellent piece of hardware and then selling it with a dysfunctional waterproof housing. The advice I was offered was to turn the camera on before placing it in the housing. However, if I am going out on the water for a day trip I cannot turn the camera on at the start of the trip because the battery will be flat after about 6 hours (personal test) and will not provide more than 10 minutes of video recording time if an attempt is made to use the camera after it has been left on for 3 hours (personal test). The risk of causing damage to the unshielded camera by opening the housing wile sat on the water to turn the camera on is substantial and I would advise anyone considering purchasing this camera for using in harsh environment to think twice. At the very least Astak should warn people that the housing lacks this functionality and should really add an extra button to the current housing which would alleviate this problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Astak ActionPro 7200 (HD), July 4, 2013
Chad "SD Slim" (WICKENBURG, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
I have only had my recently purchased ActionPro 1080P HD Camera less than a week. I purchased it to use for a variety of purposes, none terribly "action" related. 1) I plan to swap video messages with an out-of-state relative, 2) hope to record segments of woodworking and other projects to share with some compatriots also in the hobby, 3) to use on some of our off-roading/Jeep adventures (kinda action related?) and 4) "hopefully" as a dash-cam on a variety of vehicles. I admit I still have some learning/research to do here, thou I have heard from several people who have successfully used this camera, and the vastly more pricey "Go-Pro" as a dash-cam. So far I really like the video quality, including white-balance, color quality and picture clarity including depth of field. It has NOT been in terribly harsh lighting conditions, nor in "dark" environs, but so far I'm quite impressed with picture quality both in 1080P and 720P. I'll post updates as I gain experience with the camera.

11-August: I found a couple of things that will keep me from appreciating the camera quite as much as I'd thought. Thing 1: the longest recording is :30-min before the camera terminates that segment and starts a new one. You can select durations, but :30 is the longest and if what you want to record requires more than :30 you need a video editor to tie individual "segments" together. I think; have not tried joining segments yet. I would (really) like to see the maximum record-time higher, or an option to continuosly record until the chip is full or the battery dead. Thing 2: I had assumed, incorrectly, that these "segments" (above) when fully-recorded wouold "Loop" - record over themselves, as you might want for a dash-cam - which I did. I appears this is NOT the case; VERY too bad. Reduced my rating from four-stars to three. (I actually debated "two".) Still think the video quality is good to very good, but.... it certainly appears I can't use the camera in at least one of my intended ways - as a dash-cam.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just an FYI...., March 12, 2013
I am studying these action cams and the ASTEK is the same camera as the AEE SD21.

But from what I have learned. You get more with the AEE SD21, as in an entire extra battery back pak! (?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent price for a good camera, only problem is remote can't re-activate camera in the auto shut down mode.., July 15, 2013
LCD Back view latch is weak in design

Picture quality is good
Full of accessories come with the camera
value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best on the market, August 28, 2012
RWang (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I started using this camera after borrowing it a couple of times from a friend to use on my biking trips. I ended up asking for it so much he told me to just get my own, so here I am. I tried looking at some other cameras, but they all seemed to have their little kinks (ie, unreliable or less than desirable video quality), and none of them came with the included remote that this product has. I mean, the gopro is selling a remote as an accessory for 60, 70 bucks on top of the cost of their camera, so getting this product is really a much more complete deal. You have everything that you need right out of the box, and if I remember correctly, it pretty much just work straight out of the box too. There's virtually no learning curve on it at all, it just gets the job done. Or rather, it'll get the job done even after you crash it into a tree (assuming you mounted it in its case). It's durable stuff. Hopefully my buddy doesn't see this, yikes. Anyway, a great product, and I'm just waiting on mine to come in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless in low light, March 30, 2013
Joshua (FLUSHING, NY, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this to shoot an indoor music video as a B-Roll camera. Upon receieving this camera in the mail I noticed the casing and overall construction seemed like flimsy plastic. Very light and cheap looking so I hoped the value was inside not outside. The shoot was a fully lit room with bright key lights, overhead etc; probably over 1000 watts of directional lighting on the subjects. We all agreed we'd never seen anything so terrible. The lens and processor of this cheap plastic junk is so bad it is indistinguishable. It's quite literally worse than the old Flip cameras we all had a few years back. The amount of noise in a fully lit room renders your footage worthless. Unless you are outdoors in the full overhead sun you can't use the footage you will take. I don't know about the competitors quality but this thing is absolute garbage. Remote nor itty-bitty LCD screen are of any use to me either so I consider this a complete waste of money. I recently saw a cost effective solution: Since your iPhone 5 has a better video camera, buy the attachable fisheye mount and just use that. If I had to guess, the cost of this product to the manufacturer is probably under five bucks and they're laughing at us all the way to the bank. I bet this lens is the same you see on cheap eBay spy pens and the like. What a waste of money and time.