5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Lightweight and Fast
Summary
-------
Published on June 6, 2011 by AC

1.0 out of 5 stars Now with Windows 7 64bit---- UPDATED!
****UPDATED 12/14****
Published on May 25, 2011 by DavidP

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, Lightweight and Fast, June 6, 2011
AC (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Summary
-------
This netbook performs as well as a slightly-above bare bones, modern (2011) laptop with a basic dedicated video card. In other words for a netbook, it's a powerhouse: especially at this price. It's sleek, lightweight, and the keyboard/touchpad are comfortable to use. The bright screen and decently high native resolution yields sharp images.

-------
-The basic functions (Microsoft Office, web browsing, video playback e.g. youtube, etc.) run seamlessly.

-As far as gaming goes: World of Warcraft and Starcraft II run pretty well on low to medium settings (my framerate in Stormwind on a busy night with people spamming spells annoyingly was ~25-30 and BGs were about the same, but I haven't raided yet with this).

-The partitions are set up nicely if you want to dual/tri boot Operating Systems. Windows is on its own 100 GB partition, there's a recovery partition, the data partition of about 380 GB and some 16 MB partition. You'll want to shrink the data partition and then delete the 16 MB partition to be able to install Linux, for instance.

Comparison with the ASUS 1215N-PU17
-------------------------------------
If you've looked at the predecessor to this model, the PU17, there are a couple of improvements that I've noticed so far:

1. This model supports Bluetooth 3.0

2. To address a comment made to another reviewer below: if you're purchasing the system here at Amazon, it *absolutely* comes installed with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, not 32-bit (this needs to be corrected in the product description, apparently, but everything else seems correct). For those who don't know: this means that you'll be able to get the most out of your 4 gigs of memory if you'd like to upgrade.

3. As stated in an earlier review, this model has far less bloatware than the older Asus products. At this point, it even has less bloatware than Dell, HP, etc. You'll have to spend just a bit of time in add/remove programs with this model (eh, "Programs and Features" in Windows 7 now I guess).

(In short, the $15 price difference is worth it)

Warnings:
-----------------------------------
1. As with the previous model, the female connector of the power port in the laptop contains a thin pin. It MAY be a slightly thicker pin than the previous model, but looking at how small the male connector on the power adapter is, I still would consider this a poor, flimsy design. Knowing this: if you decide to buy this netbook understand that you're going to have to be delicate with the power connector and cord. As long as you are careful and don't have wild kids, pets, or a klutzy roommate that is likely to tear out the cord, the risk is likely worth it.

2. Update your video card drivers at the NVIDIA site as soon as possible. I had some initial video hangups that were corrected with the update.

3. Editted) There is a significant touchpad issue that can render some touchpads unusable. Mine fell into this category and there is a fix, but it's not very fun. There is a static grounding pad located directly underneath the touchpad that needs to be removed. This entails removing the panel on the back (where the RAM is located), then removing the screws inside that panel that hold the touchpad panel on. Once this is done, you run a credit card or the like between the base and the front touchpad panel to pop up the tabs. You can then remove the rectangular, silver pad that's close to where the center of the touchpad was. This was either mechanically getting in the way or electrically screwing up things (it's conductive and has a resistance of 1 ohm as I found out via meter). In any case, remove it and it works like a charm. There are also videos on Youtube that will demonstrate this if you search for "1215N touchpad issue".

1.0 out of 5 stars Now with Windows 7 64bit---- UPDATED!, May 25, 2011
****UPDATED 12/14****
I have changed my review from 5 stars to 1 star. The touch pad has went out on me twice now. The communication with ASUS is horrible. They simply do not care if they fix your computer or not. I had to pay to ship it back to them in September ($15) and after 2 weeks I got it back. It worked for about a month and now the touch pad is broke again. I have contacted ASUS again and after a few days they reply telling me to ship it back across the country. If you read the reviews on here you will see that this is a very common problem and ASUS does not care if their customers are happy. I would definitely not recommend buying this computer!

When I compared this to the 1215N-PU17, I couldn't find any difference other than the 1215N-PU27 cost $16 more. I called Amazon and they couldn't tell me what the difference was either. I decided to gamble, pay the extra money and get the newest update. I have only had the computer for a couple hours but I have already found one big difference. The 1215N-PU27 has Windows 7 64 bit opposed to the 32 bit on the PU17. Amazon has the product description wrong.I was also pleased to see that this model has almost no bloatware, which was a big complaint on the previous model. (Apparently Asus listened). So far, I am very happy with this machine. The silver case really looks like extruded, brushed aluminum. Very nice. The screen resolution is great but the viewing angles are limited. Some angles make it look washed out. Asus also has a cool feature that allows you to operate the computer without starting Windows. You can access music, pictures, and the internet without draining the battery running the Windows OS. Overall I am very happy with this purchase, but like I said, I've only had it a few hours now. Hopefully Amazon will fix the product description.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little "portable" which is ALMOST as good as a full computer, September 6, 2011
Cary L. Brown (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS 1215N-PU27-BK 12.1-Inch Netbook (Black) (Personal Computers)
My old laptop died recently... well, the video card died, and that's not able to be replaced, so I'm stuck with low-res software rendering only, which makes it ALMOST unusable. And I needed something, quick, to fill the blank in my "mobility" life.

I thought about getting a high-end laptop... an Alienware, for instance. I still think I will eventually, because this little thing isn't quite that capable. But money is tight for now, and portability was an issue as well, and this unit is a GREAT stop-gap measure 'til I can get a "monster" laptop.

In fact, the capabilities of this little thing are significantly greater than my old laptop, overall... with the main drawbacks being the lower-resolution, smaller screen, and the pretty poor speakers. Otherwise, this is a GREAT little unit.

I bought this, along with an external DVD-writer (a Samsung unit) and I'm using the same Logitech wireless mouse I've been using all along. Yes, you'll need an optical drive if you ever want to install anything from disk, obviously, and that's not provided.

There is also no physical media provided to "restore" the system. (You can buy a restore disk from Asus, but that disk will cost you $50 or so.) There is a "restore partition" on the hard drive, apparently.

I've heard stories about the touchpad occasionally going haywire. But I'm one of those folks who HATES touchpads, so I normally just disable it anyway. I have a little handheld trackball device for mobile (plane/train/automobile) use, and my nice mouse for use in hotel rooms and the like. I only use the touchpad in rare instances, and so far I've had no troubles with it.

So... what do we have here? Well, we've got a NICE display, albeit small. My old laptop was 1600x1400 resolution, while this is 1388x768, and half the screen real-estate. We've got poor speakers, but if you use your headphones, you'll get nice, if not impressive, 2.0 sound reproduction (typical quality for Realtek audio, which is what this laptop has). We've got a pretty nice keyboard, though it's not as nice as a full keyboard with full keystroke depth, and I've mistyped on it more than once (something I never do on a full keyboard like I'm using now).

What I'm impressed with is that this machine will run software I'd have never thought it could run, and can run it well. I was just running Far Cry with pretty much zero hickups, and a pretty good frame rate.

The dual-core Atom isn't the fastest CPU on the planet, by a long shot, but it works better than I was expecting. The second-generation ION graphics chip does a fine job, quite a bit better than the Geforce 4 in my old laptop.

In other words, while this is not a gaming powerhouse, it's far, far better than I'd ever expected, and runs thing I never expected it to be able to handle (and which my old laptop couldn't handle).

The machine comes with two RAM slots, both populated by 1GB sticks. You can replace those with 2GB sticks to get it up to 4GB total memory... and I think I'm going to do this, since the machine is frequently hitting the ceiling of its installed memory right now (which is my main performance issue, I think).

It comes with a 500GB hard drive. This drive is partitions... one small "restore" partition which is hidden, a 100GB "C:" partition, and a ~350GB "D:" partition. I would have preferred to have just a single system partition, but I didn't feel like risking data loss through partition-shuffling since I don't currently have a restore CD. Suffice it to say, when 1TB laptop drives become commonplace, I'm going to transfer this drive, proportionally, to a larger drive, as both of my partitions are above 2/3 full right now.

This device comes with Windows 7 64-bit "Home Premium" which is NICE (most "netbooks" come with the "starter" edition). I plan to upgrade this to "Ultimate" at some point in the future, as there are a few features I'm accustomed to having that I don't have on this machine right now.

There is a pitfall of Windows 7 (which also came into play with Vista)... the "WinSXS" directory grows to ridiculous size very quickly. This is "windows side-by-side" and is a tool build into Windows since Vista which provides the benefit of supposely allowing any application to access current, or older, versions of various installed operating-system files. Well, every time you have a Windows Update pass, the directory grows... right now, "WinSXS" is about five times larger than my entire "Windows" installation directory and three times larger than my "program files" and "program files (x32)" directories combined. At this rate, it WILL consume my entire hard drive, of that there's no doubt! But that's a Microsoft issue. At least, with this system having a pretty good-sized drive, there's some buffer before it entirely consumes my hard drive!

So, that's my summary of the system. I'm overall very happy... more so than I expected to be. I will eventually buy a "monster laptop" but for now, this is meeting my needs better than I'd expected!

The main drawbacks to this device are also the main benefits... low size means awkward keyboard and small display, and small (and "tinny") speakers as well.

But for a traveler... this thing has an HDMI out... hook it up to your hotel room's TV and you can get 1920x1080 output on a huge screen. Use a nice wireless mouse (and shut down the touchpad) and it becomes easy to use. Get a cheap keypad as well if you want the equivalent of a full keyboard, though I don't plan on doing this. This is virtually a "mid-range desktop replacement," which is a far cry from the netbooks of just a couple of years ago, isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Netbook with good performance, bump in screen size, 64 bit windows, June 23, 2011
ASUS created such a nice machine here, very nimble and usable PC with latest software (but no "bloatware").

My favorite features:
Atom Quad-core (effective) Netbook with 64-bit OS.
HDMI Out
The system boots quickly, long battery life, larger screen size is a nice bonus.
The last I remember ASUS has the lowest laptop return rate in the world (better than Apple, HP)

Wish:
Comes with 2G memory, make sure to get 2x2G when upgrading to have a 4G system for a little extra.

4.0 out of 5 stars great netbook, August 31, 2011
C. Dell (Salt Lake City) - See all my reviews
this is a small very portable netbook, i upgraded to 4 gigs of ram and it runs warcraft with medium settings with no problems and it looks good, I also have ran many steam games such as l4d2, portal2 and a few others also with no problems. onlive also works great.
The HDMI connection is fast and easy to hook up to the tv for hulu, youtube and games.

you will need to get a 16gig flash drive if you want a system recovery to factory defaults.
I would also suggest to update all drivers right out of the box, and get the video drivers direct from nvidia.

2GB 204-PIN Sodimm DDR3 x2 is the memory that i used with this system.

1.0 out of 5 stars ASUS has lost a lifetime customer, December 25, 2011
I have been a long time customer of ASUS, largely because they made reliable, durable computers and had good warranties that they honored quickly. I will never buy from ASUS again, and will strongly urge you to go elsewhere. I bought this computer at the beginning of August, and having been responsible for five other ASUS computers before, and three motherboards, all of which have been great, I was quite excited. To make a long story short, I sent it to ASUS a week later to fix a faulty hard drive. They sent it back, having just reformatted the hard drive without fixing the problem, and along the way the track pad had stopped working. A couple of days later, applying enough force to open the screen an inch, without dropping or sitting on it or causing any sort of trauma, the screen shattered. I called and was apologized to and told that it would be fixed, no problem. I send it in, and hear nothing for three weeks, and then am told that the screen is not covered by the warranty (though it is - a screen without a manufacturing defect will not break that way, and the internet is full of complaints from other people who had the same problem). Over the next two months, I called over a dozen times, sent a half dozen e-mails, twice was promised that a manager would call me back without ever hearing from them, was lied to repeatedly, was cursed at, was ignored, and was in every way mistreated. Eventually, it was only by repeatedly threatening a law suit for failure to meet the terms of the warranty that I could talk to someone in a position to do anything, and a week or so later I got an e-mail saying that "as a onetime courtesy for customer satisfaction" they would honor their warranty. Several weeks later I receive the computer and, lo and behold, they still have not fixed the track pad. I just got off the phone with them and am going to be sending it back for a third time. All told, I have spent about five hours on the phone with them being ignored and lied to, I have spent about $75 in shipping and handling to get the computer to them, and of the five months since I bought the computer, I've had it in my possession for less than three weeks. If you have any trouble with an ASUS product within the Amazon warranty period (a month, I think, for computers), send it to Amazon, because there is no guarantee that ASUS will care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb portable-fast and light, May 17, 2011
The Asus 1215N-PU27-BK is a fantastic "unbelievably priced" portable. This netbook runs everything smoothly. For under $500, the netbook comes with a 12.1" LED screen, 64-bit Windows Home Premium, 500GB hard drive, fast dual-core Atom D525, and Bluetooth 3.0. The netbook weighs 3.2 pounds in weight and is a pleasure to carry around.

1.0 out of 5 stars Touchpad having problems !!!, December 14, 2011
Take care when you buy this product! After some time the touchpad becomes crazy, and does not move anymore. When you tell it after to the Asus Customer service, they simply ignore your advice that this is a hardware problem (A WELL KNOWN PROBLEM, just check on Youtube!!!). They did automatic tests and changed nothing. So I have to send it back AGAIN and lose more time without beeing able to use the product. I had the same problem with the Acer aspire one !!
I'll check what they'll do now... If they plan to fix it like they should do it OR if I'll still lose time again by waiting so many months to have something I bought beeing able to be working correctly !

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS 12 in silver, October 11, 2011
So I ordered one of these laptops about two weeks ago and had to return it because the touchpad stopped working. So I got a replacement and two days later slowly but surely the new laptop's touchpad started doing the exact same thing. So I went on the ASUS website to try and find a solution other than replacements and external mice. I downloaded the most recent update for the driver for the touchpad that is on the same page as the specs for the laptop and now it works like new so if your's stops working there is always that.
But Amazon gets 5 stars for delivery because when the update on my app said that it was just leaving KY it was already delivered so I thought that was cool.

link to download:
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent performance and value on the go!, June 14, 2011
Ron Murray (Orlando, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This machine was purchased to be used primarily for writing papers, creating presentations, taking notes and various other school related tasks. I do also occasionally watch videos/movies, listen to music and surf the web with it to kill time in-between classes. The computer is very light, performs extremely well for its size and has a great battery life.

The only issues I have with the laptop are 1) the buttons on the touch-pad are way too difficult to use without becoming frustrated and 2) the matte finish on the black model tends to hold finger oils very easily which makes the machine look smudgy unless you wipe it down daily.