5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Deal
Let me start off by saying that this is the first laptop I have ever owned for myself. I have been working on computers for over 18 years but have never had a need for a laptop for personal or work use ( work ones were provided by the company ) before now.

Published on September 11, 2010 by Jake

3.0 out of 5 stars asus a52f-x3
Published on October 13, 2010 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Deal, September 11, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)

I bought this laptop for use in school. Currently I use this laptop for Visual Studio 2008, Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop CS5. It runs them all without a hitch. The specs on this laptop are amazing for the price. Asus gave me a free 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty with the purchase ( not sure if that is standard forever or a short time thing so do not quote me on it if you buy it after this review ).

The battery options are pretty good for saving power when off charge, when I am at school all day using it I can set it to battery saver and still have a charge at the end of the day.

The keyboard is nice and the 10 key pad is a nice addition to someone like me that is using a lot of number input at school ( the keypad is smaller than I am used to but with the laptop not being a 17" screen the fact that they put a 10 key on it is impressive ) and is something I am thankful for every time I have to put numbers into a spreadsheet.

The CPU is great for running the apps I need to use daily. Boot times are fast, Not a ton of bloatware loaded from the factory. I did remove the games and a few other things on the laptop that took up space and I would never need but the process was simple and quick. The recovery disks took 2.5 hours to burn when I first got it so be ready to spend some time on that. Installing Office, VB2008 and MSDN Library was quick from CD.

Overall I am very happy with this laptop. Coming from someone that has almost always been ANTI-Laptop, If you need this for school, work or average personal use then this is a solid choice to make.

One last thought, I have not played any games on this machine at all because that is not what I purchased it for. I have a desktop at home that has the setup to play games when I choose to so I can not say if it will run common games like WoW and the like.

4.0 out of 5 stars dependable, fast with international warranty, December 5, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Ok, for those who would actually read this review, I should write something about my reason for buying and what I'm going to use this notebook for.

I have an older notebook but accidentally dropped it causing the liquid crystal display to break. Hence, I rushed logging on and look for a laptop on a budget. All I'm really using the notebook is for me to video chat, surf the net, facebook, maybe watch Netflix streaming, type and print documents or pics using my Home Network Printer, photo downloads, etc. I won't play hardcore games on this netbook nor doing video convertion or even splicing mp3's.

As a basic specification, I'm looking for a laptop with at least 4GB of RAM. That also means I want Win 7 64bit edition. I heard that this ver of Windows is faster than Vista so I want to give it a try. (I don't want Mac) I also need at least 15" display because I have poor eyesight. I don't care about how heavy or bulky it is. I don't care about how large the hard drive because I have 1 TB in my desktop and don't really use most of it. The most important for me is the warranty. Most offer US only warranty. But I'm planning to travel to Phil (my original country) during Spring '11. Since I'm apparently clumpsy, I'm willing to shell out for extra warranty.

Alas, I found this ASUS 15.6" notebook with already built in International Warranty and Spill Warranty. Jackpot! I checked the other specs and looks fine with me. So I ordered it immediately, not looking for the other specials going around due to Black Friday or Cyber Monday events. Less than $600 to boot. Good enough for me. WOOT!! Also, registering the product with ASUS and they'll give you extra warranty. I have to check on this though and wait for their response. Sounds too good...

I got this on Dec 1 and did the set up and everything. Perfect. It's fast enough for me. After the set up, I tried to time the boot time. I couldn't see the Bios stuff since it loads to Win 7 immediately. I do have to choose my profile and password (my idiosyncracy). Overall, complete loading of all stock programs at start up is impressive. I haven't timed it perfectly but I'm pretty sure it's under 1 min... possibly around 40 sec. I did the back- up recovery thing to load the factory settings. That took 2 hours and 4 blank DVD +R. You may use DVD -R too but I only have the +R. That includes several minutes of inactivity because I forgot that the disc is full and need to insert new disc. ASUS doesn't provide a recovery disc so you have to do this first. Especially if you're a user like me that deletes programs that I don't use. I might delete something that could crash the system.

As for the add on programs... well, it's a convenience. Haven't tried all of them. I may not going to use them too. I did delete skype, ebay, amazon kindle and added mozilla. I never liked IE and would never use it. Tried the video chat with google, pretty much standard. Nothing to rave but there's nothing to complain too which is a good thing. Cyberlink Power2Go 6.1 is pre- installed which is used for disc burning. There's a Trend Micro Anti- virus program good for 6 month trial. There's a Microsoft Office 2010 starter. If you have a license code, you may activate the full feature of Office 2010. I'm still thinking about it. There's an ASUS data security which allows me to password protect certain files. I checked the copyright and it stated 2006. Wow... that's old. As long as it still works I guess. So much for programs. Nothing really stands out. There are more but don't know what they're for or I might have deleted them already. Win 7 is great (my first time using it) but everyone knows that by now (unless you're a die hard mac... but you shouldn't be reading this review anyway).

Hardware. The screen size is great. It's widescreen 16:9 format. The keyboard has a numpad! That's great. The mousepad has corrugation so it has a more 'feel' than others. I like it. Wifi compatible with b/g/n signal. I had no problem searching for my Home Network as well as the network at the office. Webcam is fine. It's not meant to take great pics though. Just be wacky with the software and make faces. Card reader is ok. I don't have anything to test it with so I really don't know but I'm guessing it's fine. Processor, Graphics, RAM, Hard disc space.... this is too subjective but all is acceptable for what I'm using this for. Bluetooth.... where's the bluetooth... couldn't find one.... oh wait, there's no bluetooth!!!! That's sucks a lot. Hence, 1 star off this laptop. No BLUETOOTH? That's like the standard of everything.

Ok, so I guess that's everything I can think of. Nothing technical and everything I check works. No hiccups. I added my Canon MP560 driver which would add another program for the start up. Nothing change in the time of boot up. Kudos to that. I updated win 7 and so far so good. Haven't seen an error anywhere. I opened up several programs (Firefox with 4 tabs, Media player, a few directories, inserted a thumbdrive, playing background music from external drive and transfering small files in between while doing video chatting on google (also writing this review, facebook, browsing). No hiccups. Media player didn't even skip a beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer, September 27, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Great computer. Love everything about it. Quality is much better than most major brands like HP, Dell, etc. It is also less expensive. Highly recommend. The only bad thing is the speakers don't get quite as loud as I would like but that is ok. In case you didn't know ASUS manufactures awesome motherboards for computers. I build my own computers and have used there products for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome service with an Awesome Computer, October 11, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
First off, I would like to say, that I think Amazon has really great service. I had originally gotten this computer, and first off, the pricing has gone up since I bought it just a week 1/2 ago. I bought it for $549.99, which is a really good price for this, but the first time I had gotten it, but dvd writer/burner was defective on arrival. I sent it back a few days later after contacting Asus, and then Amazon (sent back to Amazon), and they had ordered me a new one (since it was out of stock at the time), and marked it as one day shipping, right away after receiving my return request. Before they even received my package, they sent me a new computer (same one) and I received it the next day. Great service Amazon, Thanks.

This computer I have now (same one) has a working everything now!

The only few complaints I found about this computer (after reading the reviews) that are true, are the Loose battery, Left Click,..and ..that's it. The optical drive being loud, I guess was true for the comp. I returned, but this new one, is soo quiet and works so Nicely.
The battery, when the computer is held flat in your hands, does feel loose. It won't come out, thats not really a fear, but you can slightly push it up constantly. This won't affect anything, it can be sort of annoying though to someone who is nitpicky and has ocd.
The left click is kinda annoying, its a bit harder to press, and a bit more stiff. Again not a big deal, once you get used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore, but I can see why this would have been brought up in a review.
I'm not sure what someone meant by "spongy keyboard", I personally love the keyboard. Full Keypad and nicely feeling buttons, that have a nice give to them.

The computer came with a bit of useless bloatware, as most computers do, but if your not sure which to keep, which can be useful, and don't want to totally restore your computer to rid use this link, its very useful.

[...]

Otherwise though, I love this computer. I mean I'm no computer expert but I know alot, and for the price of 550, for this computer, you can't beat it. There are better of course, but this ones a nice pick. Asus makes great computers from my experience, and nice products. This computer is pretty fast (especially compared to my last), With some great specs, and the hdmi works very nicely on it.
Battery Life I'm not sure what it was advertised as, but on a full charge, I'll get a good 3 - 3 1/2, once in awhile maybe a bit more, hrs from it. Which is pretty good (This is on a "balanced" power plan though. Prob would last longer on battery save setting, and less on entertainment or high power setting).
The screen is very nice, and pretty nice size. The webcam is marked at ".5" which is really low, and idk if they maybe 1.5, but when in use over skype, etc, its really not that bad. It's not great or anything, but it does its job, no ones hard to see, and you can cleary distinguish the features of a person through this webcam still. Unless of course you have bad skype connection lol, then they are quite blurry. This computer can easily support high video and audio quality though.

Audio is pretty nice for a laptop. Not amazing, but its good. Especially for a laptop. It only has one Audio headphone jack though, which peeved me, for my old laptop had 2, and I dont wanna buy a headphone splitter type thing to listen to movies in the college library, with a friend.
I Also wish this had 4 usb ports, but 3 isn't bad. Nice card reader as standard now a days.

Big determiner for me was also the heat that may have exhausted from the computer and if how quickly and how hot it heated up. I was so glad to find out that this computer runs almost completely cool, for as long as you're using it. Has barely even gotten a little warm! Be careful though, because if using on a fabric, like a blanket, or sheet, or pillow, or couch or w/e, then it heats up a bit. But that is expected, and has always happened to me. I rarely keep it on a blanket or anything, so I'm fine. Otherwise no heat up though, which is great.
The hard drive also is kinda small 320 gb, but actually more like 280gb, I'm guessing due to the hiddin recovery partition. I didn't realize that would take up 40 gb though. I can't seem to find anywhere else the 40 gb would be though, so it must be that. I mean it did take 4 DVD-R discs to create recovery, so maybe. It was like this on both laptops (this and the one I sent back for faulty drive, so It's gotta be recovery lol)

OK so, besides the small harddrive, and the small nit picky things, For the most part, this computer is very nice for the price of 550 that I got it for. Nice specs (read bout in product description) pretty fast, no heat problems, pretty good sound and battery, and etc.

Any questions, just comment, but I love this Asus laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall, an excellent laptop!, September 29, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Pros:
-Feels sturdy
-Excellent display window
*Vivid
*Detailed
-Speedy Intel Core i3 processor; great at multitasking
-Nifty touchpad
*Adjustable functions
*With a little practice it's easy to use.
-Relatively comfortable keyboard
*Includes a numberpad
-Comes with fairly useful pre-installed software programs
-Windows 7 Home Premium
-Microsoft Office 2010 Starter
*Word
*Excel
-Quiet AND effective fan: sooo nice!! Stays extremely cool.
-Has a wide variety of power-saving settings

Cons:
-The left mouse click is a little clunky, but right is fine; could just be a fluke.
-When I first used the CD drive it vibrated a ton! It was really loud, so I wedged a magazine under it. Used it again later w/out magazine and it worked fine.
-Right shift key is a little squished due to numberpad: accidentally pressed "return" and the up-arrow a couple times.
-It's a bit heavier than I expected.

Conclusion:
Overall it's a very excellent machine. It's suits my needs perfectly! The cons, although a tad disappointing on any laptop, are minor and, in my book, do not taint Asus' reputation in any way!

ONE YEAR LATER

I would like to maintain all that I said above. It's still a sturdy machine and it runs and multitasks wonderfully!

The first thing that bothers me are it's portability and the lack thereof, it's quite heavy and extremely bulky. While I'd take performance over portability an day, this is one thing to take into consideration when comparing it with other laptops.

I also discovered that the loud vibrating in the CD drive only happens when you are transferring data onto or off of a CD, for example, when installing software from a CD. It does not occur however, when simply playing an audio CD or DVD. Interesting.

The clunky left mouse click does not bother me anymore because I only tap the ELAN Smart-pad in order to single or double-click.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product for the price, November 19, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
This is not the top of the line laptop, but for the price it is a very nice laptop. it does good with multiple things running. It stays pretty cold for a laptop. It runs silently. The only complaint i have is all the pre-loaded software is absolutely useless and annoying to go through and delete and the mouse button is a little loud. Other than that it is a solid computer. I would recommend this computer for most average users.

3.0 out of 5 stars asus a52f-x3, October 13, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
The speed is good on this computer, ease of operation, screen is not as clear unless looking directly into the image. The speakers could definely be better. It is very difficult to listen to a movie on the laptop without headphones. It's a bit heavy and battery life is fair. I could not find a review prior to purchase regarding the battery life. I am needing to connecdt to the charger after about three hours.
Otherwise it has met my needs very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, October 29, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
Not sure what people expect from a $600 laptop but this one meets all my needs. HDMI output works great for ESPN3.com and the facial recognition log on is pretty cool as well. The keyboard stays very cool during typing and the cursor does not jump around while typing like the ACER I was formerly using.

3.0 out of 5 stars so so computer, September 30, 2010
This review is from: ASUS A52F-X3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
This is a pretty low quality computer compared to my other Asus computers. I guess you get what you pay for.

Pros: great screen. Fairly light

Cons: Spongy keyboard, loose battery, mouse is not always responsive, computer hangs and is not as fast as it should be.

Overall not the quality I have come to expect from Asus. I have 2 other Asus computers I am very pleased with. The keyboard is the worst. Very poor quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply What I was Looking For!., September 10, 2010
Hello,

All I can say about this particular product that is perfect for me!.

Running all the apps I need to use [Incl large apps & games].

Great for communication, no lacking except low Camera quality.

I gave it, range 4.5-5/5.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›