We needed a Windows based laptop for school and this was the lowest priced new laptop that I could find on Amazon.com
If you're looking for something affordable that will run all basic office programs - this is it. This is not a computer to play the newest video games where you would need a graphic-card that costs more than this whole system.
Although, I would...
Published 22 months ago by Gregor Garscha

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - 0-2
I am careful to write negative reviews because there are always exceptions.
I have purchased 2 of these in the past year for low volume processing at home for kids etc.
This laptop is worth avoiding. It does not have the horsepower to run a full office suite but even when I upgraded the RAM to 8Gig it is a lemon.
I purchased one from Best Buy and have had...
Published 20 months ago by Rocky Grubble

5.0 out of 5 stars Lowest priced new laptop on amazon! Runs great with one little upgrade, September 6, 2012
This review is from: ASUS A53U-EB11 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha) (Personal Computers)
Although, I would recommend to everybody, who is going to purchase this Laptop, to also buy more memory for it:
Corsair 8GB (2x 4GB) 1333mhz PC3-10666 204-pin DDR3 SODIMM Laptop Memory Kit CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9

The standard configuration only comes with 2 GB memory (RAM), which is almost consumed by the operating system itself (windows 7) and when you attempt to install the newest version of MS Office, you will experience a major slowdown as other users & reviewers described already as well.
The bottleneck is the RAM which you can upgrade yourself for under $40.00

All you will need, is one small Phillips head screwdriver and 2 minutes.

Before upgrading the memory, ensure the computer is unplugged and you remove the battery so there is no electricity whatsoever. To completely drain it (after unplugging the power cable and taking the battery out, hold the power button for about 10 seconds)
There is only 1 screw that you have to open on the bottom of the laptop in order to pop a small lid open (in the middle of the laptop) - the memory is under there. Take the old 2 GB out by opening the clip on the left side and right side (it will pop out) and install the 2 x 4 GB memory (both fit on top - there are 2 slots on top of each other, so the memory on top will be overlapping the memory on the bottom)

After this very simple upgrade (connecting a cable box to your TV takes longer) you will experience a very smooth system for an absolute bargain price! The pre-installed 64 bit Windows 7 is able to address all 8 GB.

Enjoy,

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - 0-2, November 22, 2012
I am careful to write negative reviews because there are always exceptions.
I purchased one from Best Buy and have had it back and forwards with problems and finally gave up after a year.
The second I purchased from Amazon and it has totally crapped out after two months. Can't even fire it up in repair mode.
I run a secure network in my home and have 5 other laptops and PC's all with no problems.
The statistics are not good. Not worth the hassle and the money you save.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough!, September 11, 2012
Purchased this for my sister, she needded a replacement for the school year and is a teacher. Long and short, I like the drop replacement warrenty for a year, since she has dropped a few.

I would have gone for a net book with the same processor, but she and I both have old eyes.

It seems well enough put together, a couple of things I would recomend. In order to get it to move, turn-off non-needed programs that run as services, these programs can be found using taskmgr and then disabling under Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools "services" then add ram, or add a SSD or hybrid drive, These things fly under linux with correct drivers and also win8, which has been optimize for AMD CPU's. win 7 installed is somewhat pokey with bloatware, Or just reload with the rescue CD's they don't have the added programs. If you do some of the things outlined it should become alot better.

Also be sure and look up programs up before disabling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 7, 2012
Great I got this 2 days ago and I am Very Happy for the price and it is better then the macbooks my kids have from school I have set it up just like my desk top As far as speed out of 1 to 10 I give it an 8 I think it It would be a 10 if I bump up ram but it is great

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS A53U-EB11 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha), August 11, 2012
The product is everything you could ask for and more, it's so simple to use, and such a great quality, for a pretty great price, the shipping came faster than I expected, and the product itself was more than I was looking for, I'm currently using this laptop for school, but you'll see you can use it for more than just school. It's really a great product, and I'm sure you'll have no doubts when you get it, just like I did. A great buy. Although one thing it doesn't come with Microsoft office, or any of the above, so you'll have to buy that, but other than that, it's a great and convinced product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for Windows 8, October 27, 2012
I love this laptop! Windows 8 is so cool it's like a cellphone in a computer! I looked up this laptop in other websites and the prices started at $540. Trust me, this is something you should definitely think about buying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong adapter plug sent--WORST SUPPORT EVER, November 28, 2012
When this ASUS X55U was unpacked I found that I had been sent the wrong kind of adapter plug. First I went to the website, a lot of which was down, but left a Customer Service Report with all info. I received a rather disconnected email wiht a CASEID number telling me to contact the retailer or call a support number. I called the number, waited an interminable time and after explaining the problem was told they needed more info. She could find no record of the CASEID I was given. We were disconnected, and they never called back. They did tell me to call Amazon. Well, we know how that works.
I called back and spoke with another person who sent me to his supervisor with another Case no. that the next person could not find a record for. I was then put on hold once more.
Not impressed with support at this time! I did complain about packaging to Amazon, but my shipment has not yet showed up in the Seller Feedback area, soooo I am trying this VERY unflattering review--a process which usually gets the seller's attention.

Update:
The supervisor says I must ship the non-working plug back by FEDEX in 14 days or be charged for a new one. FEDEX does not pick up in my area without an additional cost. It may be cheaper to let them charge me and keep the useless plug.

WARNING: DO not count on ASUS support is the lesson I have learned.

Further update: After looking over the forms and policies to return the wrong adapter cable sent, it would cost me more than ordering a $6.00 free shipping extra long cable from Amazon, and if ASUS failed to receive the return (given the poor communication so far, a real possibility) they are asking for credit card to charge me with the replacement. I trust Amazon far more than these ASUS support people I have dealt with to this point, so I guess the wiser decision is to order the new one. Any one need a cord for European or far East travel?

Don't think I would buy ASUS again. I also purchased an extended warranty. I dread ever needing to use it! BUYERS BEWARE, I will return to Dell from here on. They have the best support (not perfect) but far superior to this non-support IMHO!

Further update: WOW, I must be jinxed or something. The 3rd party cord did not show up. Called Amazon support a week later and they are letting me make another order of that cord at THEIR expense, hoping it just got lost in the Xmas rush. Explained whole thing to them about the computer. Very understanding and helpful--wish ASUS support were half so helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars not happy, February 5, 2014
just rec'd this item. Already not happy with it after just 2 hours. It's clumsy to use, comes with a European ac cord. :>( It still has windows 8, :>( but can't do much about that anymore. it's not easy to use. I wish i had not bought it!! Maybe next time I'll just got to a store and try one for an hour or so till I am satisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy do not buy, January 30, 2014
The laptop listed skips.. so when you start typing the next letter you typed would be an I but a u or o or some other letter would show up.. also they sent me the battery plug for Europe I am in Seattle.. Standard plug.. I had to buy one and this it skips and the screen is so small.. it would not support any other application to essentially it is only good to play some games with.. buy an abacus,, you would get more use out it.. what a waste of money.. and low and behold someone stole it..

1.0 out of 5 stars slow processor., November 19, 2013
Very slow processor. Even with ram upgraded to 4 GB. Can hardly watch YouTube. Not a good deal.save up and get a good laptop.

Rate and Discover Movies