5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop for the price
I ordered this laptop and it was quite well packed in a huge box with massive amount of padding. Out of the box, it runs like a charm, fast and no issues whatsoever. It is NOT a gaming laptop, but you are able to play games on it like Starcraft 2 or league of legends on lower settings.

The Windows Experience Index results are...
Processor : 6.7...
Published on June 5, 2012 by Chris Bello

3.0 out of 5 stars At the right price it's a nice machine.
Published on July 18, 2012 by Daniel S. Lukens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop for the price, June 5, 2012
This review is from: ASUS A53Z-AS61 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha) (Personal Computers)

The Windows Experience Index results are...
Processor : 6.7
Memory(RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 4.5
Gaming Graphics: 6.1
Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

It plays HD videos quite well, obviously as it should...

Pros: Fast, cheap, best for the price, HDMI, USB3, Bright LED screen, easily upgradable to 8GB RAM, Large HDD, 1 year accidental warranty.

Cons: Speakers are a bit quiet, low resolution, I do not like the touchpad's functionalities for scrolling and zooming, which uses 2 fingers like apple products.

I HIGHLY recommend this laptop. I will update the review if anything goes wrong with it or I ever have any problems. In addition, I will answer any comments.

3.0 out of 5 stars At the right price it's a nice machine., July 18, 2012
This laptop, at the right price, is a great machine. Asus is a quality manufacturer and it shows in this product. The build is solid, though could be considered a bit plastic-ish. They keyboard feels great and is responsive. I'm not in love with the touch pad and the clicking buttons, but they are acceptable. The screen is glossy so you will get glare, otherwise it seems nice and bright, colors seem true. Having a full sized keyboard is great. It has all the ports you'd want including hdmi and usb 3. The speakers are not good at all. Barely audible at full volume. I don't know many people who expect much from their laptop speakers but these are pretty abysmal. This laptop would have been massively improved with a 7200rpm hard drive, but surprisingly the slower 5400rpm doesn't seem too bad. Ram is fine for me right now and can be easily upgraded. Like others I'll eventually got to 8 gigs of ram and put in a 120 g SSD. The bloatware is a bit excessive but not bad enough that I felt it warranted a clean install. If you know what you are doing and uninstall the right things, it's no problem.

TL;DR At the current price, 500 bucks, I think it's too expensive. I got it for $429 which was much more reasonable. It's better than an Ipad and has more functionality at that price. For people who want a basic machine that does everything, this is it. Get it at around 400 or less and it's a great laptop for anyone from grandma and grandpa to a new college student. Your Mom and Dad should be buying laptops like this, not whatever garbage best buy is selling. Anyone who just wants to do the basic web browsing and email, they will get a great machine that has power to spare for when they do run into some kind of multimedia usage. This will not replace my desktop gaming rig under any circumstances, but it has enough functionality for when I am traveling or want to veg on the couch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Laptop, May 13, 2012
Laptop feels solid, keypad feels very robust. I love that this model comes with usb3 support. I have no intention of running demanding 3d games on this laptop but it runs my productivity tasks very very well. the bloatware that comes with it slows it down so i will have to format this machine eventually. Overall, this is a great laptop, its quad core, 750 GB hard drive and the radeon graphics rns hd videos effortlessly. i highly recommend it.

Oh and the "ice cool" feature really works. my laptop is not burning my hands, its very cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Games? Yes!, May 22, 2012
Kevan Kumar "kurmakk" (Barrackpore, Trinidad and Tobago) - See all my reviews
Bought this for a friend, the 6520G graphics blows Intel HD 3000 out of the water. MW3 runs @720p no lag medium high settings. Tested NFS The Run (Frostbite 2 engine) works on medium low settings. Its not a gaming laptop but its excellent for the price. 750GB HDD is plenty of space. Steal of a deal for such a price. Build quality is solid.. looks great.. ASUS - enough said. Best laptop in its price range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Initially had problems but everything was made right by ASUS!, June 20, 2012
I am currently very disappointed with this purchase. This a great looking value computer that was purchased for my wife who needed something simple for surfing the web and editing family pics. Based on these needs it was a great fit at an awesome price, $399! All was well out of the box and the initial usage was a breeze.

Unfortunately after 2 days the wireless NIC just stopped working. I know this a hardware issue because all my other wireless devices have no problem connecting to my network. I am also very familiar with computer hardware since I have built a few in my day and thought it would be an easy fix to get back up and running. I reset the router, modem, wireless card to no avail. Then I made sure the card was on at all times through the power management option. I also took the time to reinstall the drivers for the wireless card and still nothing.

Next, I contacted ASUS support through the Asus members website. Support to over over 2 days to respond and told me to try the options I already tried. I am now in support limbo and have a computer that doesn't do what I purchased it for. I am very disappointed with the response so far by Asus and would definitely hesitate purchasing from them again. Hopefully I will be able to update with a better review once they make things right.

Update

Finally got this thing to work and I am glad that I took the time to have it fixed. ASUS support was great after dealing with my early frustrations. This thing is a huge value for the price and my wife loves it for general use like pictures, web browsing, and Office applications. I would purchase again in heartbeat for $400. Great value for non power users. Thanks ASUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars out 5 so far...., October 25, 2012
I'm a computer nerd and hardware junkie so in a very short time I've already made numerous changes and have experimented. I'm always amused by the critical comments regarding computers. I'm sure some are genuine and in those cases you usually have the option to return the unit if it does not meet your expectations.

I think a lot of the problems that people have are user error or not taking the time to learn what you actually bought. One in particular with this laptop is the sensitivity of the touch pad. You CAN adjust the sensitivity, however, it's embedded far into the menu structure of the mouse/touchpad app in the control panel.

There are some issues to be sure, but are no different than what you will find common with most computers you purchase. One is bloatware...software you don't need that can hinder the performance of your computer. You must methodically uninstall the excess once you determine what you don't need. What is difficult is it's time consuming, but required if your aim is to use an efficient machine.

The one issue I find alarming is having to accept the Microsoft agreement to install the Bing Bar during setup. Luckily you can uninstall it afterwards with no consequence. I also did try a live version of Linux and it seems to work fine for those interested in another OS.

Be aware there are no backup discs for the operating system, so you must create them on your own. I was glad I had an two options to either create images files or burn disc on the spot. You will need 4 DVD discs to make your copies!

Cheers!
Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck (budget gaming capabilities), June 4, 2012
OMGADM "OA" (East Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
Pros: Powerful for the price, HDMI, built-in webcam, media card slot, USB 3.0 port, keyboard doesn't feel cheap, decent size screen, stays relatively cool during everything but gaming- but even then it doesn't get TOO hot.

Cons: Buttons are a little bit louder than usual and the touchpad buttons are really loud(I normally use a mouse though(make sure you press the "fn" + "F9" keys to disable the touchpad when using a mouse)).

Other thoughts: The audio ports are on the right side- not sure how I feel about that yet.

Review:

Purchased this laptop when it was around $400-450 from Best Buy except mine is a HD6720G2 and 500GB. Everything else is exactly the same.

It's not really a gaming laptop but it runs them like a champ. For $400-450 you can play a lot of modern games on Medium-Low and some on Highest-High.

It has a hybrid crossfire graphics setup which puts it well beyond a similar priced intel HD 3000 based laptop for gaming.

Games that I've played that it will handle well:

-It was able to play the Crysis 2 Demo (I never bought the full game) fairly well on lower settings.
-It is able to play Diablo III on medium-low pretty well.
-It will definitely breeze through World of Warcraft and League of Legends.

Games I played that it will struggle to play:

Mass Effect 3 - Even on lower settings it seemed to have difficulty achieving 40fps.

-----

It will also do everything else you could ask a laptop to and do it well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bang+Buck, June 15, 2012
Picked this up to replace my wife's old P4. This runs fast and strong. Really happy with it in all respects. HD video is great. Really no issues at all. Only had to UN-install a few factory apps.

1 Con keeps it from being 5 star... I feel the screen could be a wee bit sharper and I notice it most on boot up. Really how do you complain with a Quad core, 4 gigs, and 750gb hd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Legit laptop for the price, July 23, 2012
Others have said everything there is to say about this laptop, but I would like to emphasize something that others have pointed out: the display is cheap. The laptop itself is fast, versatile, and once you get rid of the bloatware it's an amazing performer for the price point. However, there's always a reason for a low price, and in this case it's the cheaply made, low-precision screen.

It probably won't turn most people off, but I briefly considered returning the laptop because the colors look a little washed out and the pixels seem less sharp than they should be. Regardless, I would buy this laptop again without hesitation--for 400 bucks you're not going to find a better laptop.

One last thing--please do read up on removing the bloatware and definitely download Microsoft Security Essentials as soon as you receive it in the mail. The computer comes with zero anti-virus protection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for windows, not for linux., June 11, 2012
Hi. I received this laptop a week ago. It would be irresponsible to make a judgement on the quality of the computer using it just one week. So, I will just give my configuration experience review. I will update it later when time have passed.
The best news are that the bloatware it has could be necessary. I just uninstalled the bing bar and the pdf creator software. Everything else seems to be software the computer needs to work flawlessly: the usb 3.0 app, the sleep and charge feature, the featured facial logon and so on...
The computer is really nice. Looks kinda hard, not made of cheap material. A little bit heavy, but I'm not going to be with it in my legs for a long time. That's what desks are for (parodying Dione and friends) lol
I liked the feature that reminds me I haven't taken a full backup; so when I was preparing to do it, I was surprised that I can make iso files instead of optical media, and was even more impressed that the size of the backup could be adjusted to blue ray disk size and stored in a separate partition of the same physical hard drive. Mine took 15 gigs. Soon I will send it to my usb drive and burn it on my blue ray drive.
Another nice feature is that the installation lets you choose your operating system language; even tough my wife and I speak english fluently, our children don't do it (not yet). So I chose Spanish as the default language and we all have a full windows in this language.
The 750 hard disk is partitioned in two halves: c: is 350 and the other is 350. the other is the recover partition that measures 25 gigs. First thing you should do: resize your c partition, since 350 gigs is a looooooot for windows. I chose 150 for windows and 150 for my files. the other gigs will be for linux. I installed jee, jdk, office, sql server 2008 r2 and visual studio 2010 and still have more that 90 gigs available.
second thing you should do: redirect the page file, your files, your browser files and windows temporary files to your D drive. doing so will improve the performance of your c drive, since you won't have such a lot of fragmented files downgrading windows throughput.
Third thing you should do: the touchpad is terrible, since the mouse jumps all over the screen all the time. Thinking about it, I bought a wireless mouse, disabled touchpad and used the optical device. Problem solved!!!!! I guess I'm not accustomed to notebook keyboards. I must tell that I have been typing on computers for 25 years, and have used almost every kind of keyboard that have existed. Believe me. This one is hard to use. I don't need to see it to know where the keys are and in this one I make mistakes every time. Hope it will get better in the future. However, the keys feel really comfortable and it's soft to type a lot as I do.
Yesterday I entered and online radio and tested the sound. It's simply amazing. if you use real speakers, you will get great music.
Until now, everything was all right.
My nightmares began when I installed Debian 6 x64
The network drivers available in Debian for this hardware are terrible. The wired nic driver interrupts the communication at least once an hour, and the wireless nic is not recognized from the very beginning. I'm not a linux newbie, but I'm not a hacker neither, and the detection and configuration process has been terrifying. Finally, I can't make the sound card play a single bark. In resume: no wireless, untrustable wired network and no sound, ohhhh, I almost forget it: no capability to disable the touchpad. Results: completely useless distribution. I will try other linux distributions to see which one best fits.
As I said before, I will update it to tell you if the computer works well and if I can get a linux distro that is useful.
Feel free to contact me.

ASUS A53Z-AS61 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha)
Used & New from: $350.00