Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS A55A-AB31 15.6-Inch LED Laptop (Charcoal)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 26, 2012
Bought an ASUS after reading a good review on consumer reports. The audio wasn't very good, but other than that, it worked fine. After about six months, the E key fell off. No big deal, right? It was till possible to use the computer without the key but it made typing more difficult. It seemed like the computer knew the warranty expired because just after a year, the T key fell off, then the O and then 5 more. The O stopped working altogether, no matter how hard you pushed, it just wouldn't make an O (poor thing). The touchpad got less touchy then stopped working so I had to buy a mouse. What really ticked me off was I called ASUS just after the warranty expired and they basically told me tough doo doo, I had to pay to have it fixed. They offered to sell me the same keyboard for $65 and then I would have to pay a tech to install it. Why would I buy the same crappy keyboard? Just like most companies these days, as soon as the warranty expires, so does the customer service. So I bought a ThinkPad.
on January 30, 2013
Bought this for my wife as a Christmas present to use in school. Within a week the charger stopped working. Within three weeks the computer itself stopped working. Both were RMA'd and customer service was as good as can be expected nowadays, but this equipment should be much better quality than this. A new charger arrived in about ten days (we had already bought a 3rd party charger by then) and we are still waiting to hear back on the laptop. Other than that it seems to work great.
on October 26, 2012
Admission: I've used Macs exclusively since 1993, so my PC knowledge is limited to machines I've used at various jobs and had IT people fix for me. This review won't be so much about tech stuff (which is well covered elsewhere) as the physical experience of using this computer.

As a Windows rookie, I kind of hoped ordering something in my price range with a fair number of reviews and at least a 4-star average would just work out and I wouldn't have to think about it anymore. It did not.

I had read the reviews saying the speakers were on the bottom, but then there were comments saying they weren't and I thought maybe people were confused or there were a few lemons. I bought the red i3 version and the speakers were absolutely definitely on the bottom. It sounded rather good when I tilted it to lie on its screen, and if you can think of any reason anybody would ever want to do that, do let me know.

I have moderate hand/arm tremors and multiple chronic/recurring RSIs (carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel syndromes, tendinitis). The size and weight of the machine triggered the hell out of the RSIs - it's been 3 days and a whole bunch of Vicodin and I'm still in a tremendous amount of pain. I had read that the touchpad was extremely sensitive, but figured I could simply adjust that (I'm on frequent bedrest and mostly use laptops in my actual lap so external mice aren't a great option). The thing was, due to the tremors, it took me a full hour of the cursor jumping all over the place and literally dozens of unintended windows popping open to even be able to get to the control panel to make that change. I figured I could minimize using it if I mostly stuck with keyboard commands but the keyboard was so large I had to hold my hand in an extremely awkward position to do that.

If you're a strong, healthy, non-shaky person, that last paragraph is probably useless to you - but if you share any of my conditions and aren't currently in a financial position to drop a grand on a compact, reliable laptop, you may want to explore the wonderful world of netbooks.
on October 8, 2012
ASUS A55A-AB51-RD 15.6-Inch Laptop (Red)

I am a software programmer and the laptop pretty much does what I expect . The trackpad is weird and does not always work as I expect it (based on my experience with other laptops) but I guess I will have to get used to the way it works...Otherwise pretty reliable till now...
One thing to note is the HDD is actually 7200 RPM (Seagate Momentus) and not 5400 RPM as advertised so that was a bonus...
on September 21, 2012
Overall, this is working fine. Looks good, battery is average. My space bar is really glitchy, though. You need to push it with a purpose in order for it to work sometimes, you can't just type super fast and expect not to have random words smushed together in any given paragraph. The speakers are awful (and-- indeed-- on the bottom of the laptop). When you prop the laptop up to amplify the sound, though, it only sounds worse and more distorted. But I use headphones most of the time so it's not too bad, really. They work. I've had it for about a month now, as a college student, and it's been working just fine overall. Just wanted to point out some of the flaws, but I did give it a 4/5. Haven't played games on it yet, so I've got no input yet in that department. Pretty decent price, too. Glad I chose Asus.
on February 15, 2013
I bought this as a second laptop, more of a at home as opposed to my Vaio which I is smaller and lighter. I love it, I'm not a gamer so my insight is pretty limited but for the price I think it's a good deal. My only complaint is the touch pad. I was working remotely from home and couldn't figure out what the problem was since my mouse seemed to be moving on it's on. I finally realized it was the touch pad. I disabled it, no problem, but this is a bit annoying if I want to bring it without the mouse since it does not seem to be able to sense that the mouse has been unplugged. Other then that it has worked perfectly.
on May 26, 2014
I'm a student and I've had this laptop for about 2 year now..no complaints. I don't do anything crazy on it, like download a bunch of data or anything, so it works perfectly for me. A friend who works in the tech field recommended this one to me, and it's held up so far.
on May 7, 2014
Pretty decent machine.
As a computer its fine.
I use it everyday multiple times.
Pretty flawless-occasional flaws which I think are either internet related or softeare related.
The parts-keyboard, screen fine
Speakers are so so but its a laptop.
on January 5, 2013
This is a very nice Laptop, with just a few programs that you don't need. The boot time is very fast, just like many other ASUS computers. The startup is straight forward, and only takes a few minutes. I have built over a dozen desktop computers for some local busineses, and have used nothing but ASUS MOB's ( Motherboards). They are all still up, and running. ASUS tech support is second to none. I,m only talking about my own experence with ASUS. This Laptop is built very well, and should give the user many years of great computing. I would recommend this Laptop to a friend.
on January 6, 2013
I got this laptop approx 2 months ago.
Things I like:
- Size
- Weight
- Key placement
- Battery life
Things I don't like:
- The "mouse pad" is SUPER sensitive. While typing I have had full pages disappear in a matter of seconds. I type with my hands elevated, yet it manages to delete EVERYTHING. Not a simple highlite that you can overcome. It just wipes out whatever you are typing. There is no on/off for the pad.
All in all, I like the laptop with the exception of the pad.