Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS EB1503 EeeBox Compact Desktop (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 26, 2012
I tend not to write many reviews, even though I'm the type of person who receives an average of 3-4 boxes per week from Amazon.

But this little machine is amazing for the price, size, and power usage. Yes it is an Atom processor, which are pretty darn slow (at least it is dual core). It doesn't boot up very fast. It doesn't load things very quickly. But it gets the job done on the cheap and without jacking my electricity bill.

What can that little Atom processor + 4GB of RAM handle though? Well here's the major things running on my box right now:
1) XBMC (a video/music player) playing back flawless 1080p videos with 5.1 surround sound (thanks to dedicated video card, even though it is just a 610m)
2) Ubuntu in a VirtualBox VM. This virtual machine is constantly processing small amounts of data and indexing it into a database (Newznab for those familiar).
3) A pair of programs that regularly search for updated shows I want to download, grabs them, downloads them, and unpacks and organizes them.
4) 12TB of Win8 Storage Spaces from 4 USB 3.0 external drives attached through a USB 3.0 Hub, which is also shared over the network

Sometimes programs take some extra time to load, sometimes my Ubuntu VM takes 20 seconds to go from black screen to log in screen, sometimes a Windows Update seems to take ages. But it all still works and most importantly I've never seen a stutter in the video playback, even while it is doing _all_ of these things in the background at the same time.

IMPORTANT: If you're looking at other EeeBox's - check the specs carefully! This is the one you want. A lot of the others for similar or slightly less price points are single core processors, integrated graphics cards, and only half the RAM.
on November 13, 2012
I was looking for a replacement for my media center. This system runs XMBC on Windows 7 without any issues; PVR playback does not tax the processing power. The only tricky part was during initial install the USB-3 ports do not work under Windows 7 until devices drivers are updated, this was a problem for me as I originally hooked the keyborad/mouse into these ports.
44 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
Worked great for 7 months then yesterday started overheating. Shut itself down numerous times due to overheating. Top of unit too hot to touch. "Power Monitor" software still says running at less than 10 watts. Now I see various mentions of overheating in web reviews. Believe them.

9 months later... Revised to three stars from one. Took it apart myself when this first happened and found that fan was caked with dust. We don't have a particularly dusty home, so I'm thinking the fan design may tend to collect. It is a VERY small set of blades on this fan. I cleaned the fan out with compressed air and everything worked OK again. I left have one screw in the case, and take it apart every few months to check and clean the fan.

This would be a 4 or 5 star unit- works great- except for this fan flaw. Reading reviews I believe this is a common problem.
on November 22, 2012
I bought this EeBox for 5 reasons: Low power use, small size, USB-3 ports, much faster than my 10 year old desktop, and quiet. 4-for4.... It is not great for streaming video, but not the reason I purchased it so no problem for me. Better results playing DVD video with Windows player than with Power DVD. Working well for my home control applications. Not too much software bloat, Avast! antivirus seems to work well...
on July 2, 2013
I purchased this product because it has a lot of great features (small size, multicore, etc) I have had the unit for about six months and can recommend for everything but the support for the NVidia card it comes with (GeForce610M). The problem is that you cant load NVidia drivers and must use out of date ASUS drivers. As a result, you cant do CUDA programming on the machine. I have worked for hours on this issue with NVidia and ASUSwithout a fix. So, buy it for everything except the ability to use the NVidia card.
on October 13, 2013
I bought this for using in conjunction with my Roku-XS as I "cut the cord and dish" at the first of the year to run all the entertainment sites like Hulu (Hulu Plus only on Roku), YouTube, ect., to replace the Cable and Dish connections that I had. The unit works great and is connected to the internet via WiFi with no issues and the great graphics card and the single HDMI connection to the television (Sharp Aquos 65") makes the video full 1080 and the sound is in full surround mode with no issues from startup to connectivity. I also run this unit 24/7 crunching numbers for SETI using the BOINC program which is using the NIVDA video cards GPU to crunch the numbers and return the results and has not locked up once in several months of 24/7 operation at a 60% processing utilization.
on April 5, 2013
We watch a lot of Indian movies and shows that are available online on the internet + Netflix + play DVDs.
1. Wanted something that would accomplish the above.
2. Also wanted something for playing games like that from Steam.

Initially looked at a PS3, that would have been ideal for my requirements, but research showed that the internet browsing has been stripped down. So my main goal would have not been accomplished.
Hence a PC.
This meets need 1. But for 2 I will need a second device because this is underpowered.

Pros:
* Small form factor
* Quiet
* Comes with remote, keyboard, mouse
* Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. Windows Media Player adequate for our needs.
Cons:
* Heats up
* Underpowered
* No BluRay
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 3, 2013
I purchased this for the 4GB Ram and small size. The performance was very good as I expected, but couple of problems made me return it for refund. Main issue was, after I setup a start up user password in CMOS setup, it will boot and ask for the password, but it does not recognize and key stroke and does not boot up, I called the customer service, they were unable to help me, so they sent me RMA, I sent it to service center, they reloaded the factory OS and returned it to me, the problem was not solved, so I returned it back to Amazon where I purchased it for full refund (Amazon is the Best in customer service). It was Important for me to have a start up password, 2nd issue was using HDMI cable, had problem using HDMI cable, it will boot up but some time will not recognize the LCD TV or The Monitor, I connected the VGA cable even with out rebooting the computer, it works. I have purchased ASUS product for many years. I have two Net books, one Transformer, one Nexus, all are working fine, I had to contact customer service few times with out any help from them to resolve the issue. I have resolved the issues from some on line forums and other experts in the field. The product is extremely reliable hardware quality is excellent, but the software help from the customer service is not that Good.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry to hear that you were having issue with the software and that it was required for you to have a password but in the bios you were having issues with not recognizing keystrokes.

Did you try updating the bios and drivers to see if that would have resolved your issue.

I hope you are enjoying your new purchase and using it to it's maximum capiblities.

If you have any questions or comments you can email me again at cl-jeffrey@asus.com which I reside in the U.S

ASUS strives to meet and exceeds our customer expectations within our warranty policy.

Regards,

Jeffrey
ASUS Customer Loyalty
on October 26, 2012
Highly effective media PC that is small and quiet. It changed the way I consume media at home. May need to get some external storage.
on July 10, 2013
I love this PC. I moved from the US to Asia a year ago. This little system is the perfect thing to keep me connected to my media. Here's what I love about this system:
* Hulu and Netflix streams great- no sputtering, nice smooth flow
* My Slingbox plays beautifully through the EeeBox - the video quality is crystal clear
* Everything streams over wifi just fine
* the Windows Media remote control is super for watching movies - just like my DVD player remote control
* The compact design makes it easy to put anywhere
* the wireless keyboard and mouse make it simple to use
* It runs very quietly

Only thing that would make it perfect is if it played BluRay.