Most helpful positive review
82 of 83 people found the following review helpful
It's a MONSTER!
on September 3, 2013
This laptop is an ABSOLUTE ANIMAL!!!
I got it as a replacement after my MSI GT-60 Series Gaming Laptop was stolen after only 2 months use. I did a LOT of research before deciding to buy another $2,000 computer (not to mention doing up the secuity in my house), and found this to be the better Choice, Giving me more Bang for my Buck.
Here are a Few of the Pro's and Cons, especially in Comparison to the MSI GT Series Gaming Laptops (top rival)
1. Looks great! There are very few laptops that can match the design of ASUS ROG Series.
2. It's faster than almost anything out there. I'm not sure if it's ASUS's BIOS, or the Solid State Drive, or both, but I am still impressed at how this thing loads the Operative System and programs. It takes 2 seconds or less to boot from sleep mode, and 6-7 seconds from complete sutdown... It's mind Boggling!
I tried it VS an MSI GT-70 with a solid state drive and the same OS, and the difference in loading times was incredible.
I booted my machine, logged in, and opene Microsoft Excel and Word before his computer finished loading Windows! True, Excel and Word are not huge programs... But when loading them up, the word instant comes to mind.
3. Efficient, quiet ventilation system. I have played some very GPU-demanding games, for HOURS at a time, and the laptop never got past 'slightly warm'. I mean, Crysis 2 running at full specs, and it didn't even break a sweat. Also, the vents in the back look spectacular, like they were taken from an F-22 fighter plane. The MSI I had got pretty hot to very hot, and some people say this is down to the thermal paste it comes with. The ASUS ROG handles it's venting with no noise, no issues and straight out of the box.
4. Big, Comfy touchpad, nice multi-touch functions too. My MSI's touchpad was WAY too small, so the multi-touch functions were basically useless. This pad is VERY NICE to work with, and can be turned off to play with an external mouse for gaming.
5. Looks Well-Made, solidly built. When I was researching I found MSI Computers to have problems with the monitor hinges, a point proven later that week, when my friend told me the hinges on his MSI (9 months old) had broken and he had to use copious ammounts of epoxy-glue to fix it. Now his computer looks like Frankenstein. I didn't find any issues with this machine, no matter how hard I looked. Basically Bullet-proof. (I will update this as soon as something breaks :)
6. Ports for everything and anything. This thing comes with 4 USB 3.0 ports where one is also a fast-charger, an HDMI out, a Mini Display with Thunderbolt Technology (sounds fast), LAN port, Monitor connector, audio/microphone jacks. and a multi-card reader. I can't think of anything else I would Add (Save maybe FireWire, but that never really bothered me, since I have no peripherals for it)
7. Nice, simplistic, backlit keyboard. No excess buttons to accidentally push, and everything is where you expect it. Yes, the MSI has like 30 colors to chose from on their GT-60 and GT-70 series laptops, but it's a feature I don't really find myself missing.
1. Sound could be better. I'm not saying it sucks, mind you. The sound is actually not bad at all, especially if you take into account that the computer has no visible speakers (they are hidden on the underside of the screen and are VERY small, and the sub-wofer is underneath the machine). I do find that it starts to sound like something is rattling in there if I push the volume up a bit. In this sence it gets completely beaten by the MSI GT Series, which have absolutely SUPERB sound quality.
2. It's BIG. I mean I knew what I was getting into when I purchased another 17-inch gaming Laptop, but this thing won't fit into MOST Carry cases or Backpacks. I had to special order my backpack from China. Took about 2 1/2 weeks to get here.
3. It's Heavy. This is not a surprise if you are a Gamer, I mean, heavy means Robust, and Robust is good. If this is your first gaming Laptop, it weighs about one a a half times what a Dell Inspiron of the same size does. Not a real CON of this particular laptop, but of all Gaming Laptops in general.
4. It's Expensive. But again, this is True of ALL Gaming Laptops, and this one actually gave me the MOST bang for my buck.
So that's it, folks. I can't find anything else wrong with this machine. I'm completely thrilled with it, and would recommend it to anyone thinking about buying a gaming Laptop. I hope this helps any potential buyers out there. Also, please note that I'm not trash-talking MSI's. They are great machines in my opinion, but I think this one better suits my needs at this time.